His Mother

KING'S CONSORT
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

~*~

“Is anyone out there? Lady Cho?”

“Yes Your Majesty”

‘Make arrangements, we are going to the Grand palace.”

“Yes, Mama”

I have to speak to His Majesty, I need to leave the palace if am to confirm my suspicion. I need to see my family’s doctor.

* * * * *

“Kyona…..”

“Her majesty the Queen requests your audience.”

“Let her in.”

“Junju”

“Kyona”

“I was about to come see you, is anything the matter?”

“No Kyona, nothing is the matter. I just need to make a request of you Kyona.”

“Kyona ….”

“Hmm Junju”

“I would like to go visit my family home for a few days, only a few days.”

“Is there a problem?”

“My father’s health is not improving and I would like to go see him.”

It is true that my father’s health wasn’t improving but this wasn’t the real reason for my visit. Am sorry I have to keep this from you Kyona.

“Okay, you should take one of the Royal physicians with you so they can check on him.”

“No Kyona, that won’t be necessary, am sure he won’t be needed. I think aboenim is suffering from loneliness and am sure if I visit he will get better. But incase his health continues to deteriorate I will send for the Royal physician.”

“Will you be taking our princess with you?”

“Yes Kyona. I think it will be better if I take her with me. You know how she gets she will cause trouble for everyone when she realizes I am not around. Also aboenim will be happy to see her.”

“So when do you intend to go?”

“Hour of the tomorrow, we travel early so we get there early so Chaewon can rest.”

“You will send my greetings to him. I wish I wasn’t packed with petitions to make decision then I would go with you too maybe some other time.”

“Yes Kyona.”

* * * * * * * *

 

“We need to protect the Royal family but I am afraid the King is completely wrapped around her skirt. He even refuses to get a new concubine and the ones around he refuses to visit their chambers. It’s clear the Queen won’t be able to bear a crown prince. It took her years to finally conceive and when she did, she gives birth to a useless princess.”

“Is there truly no hope for the Queen to conceive a Crown Prince?”

“According to the Royal Doctor it will be a dangerous for her to conceive again. Knowing the King, he won’t allow her to risk it.”

“What do you suggest we should do?”

“I suggest you convince him on the importance of bringing in a new concubine in order to settle the hearts of the people. He has no choice but to give in since he won’t want to endanger the queen’s health. We can use his love for her to our favor.”

“Mobilize your team and bring it up in the next court session.”

“Yes Your Highness.”  

* * * * * * * *

 

“Lady Cho, we are traveling out of the palace please make necessary arrangements. We will be taking the princess with us. We leave early in the morning.”

“Yes Mama”

“Bring the princess to my chambers I want her to stay with me.”

“Yes Junju Mama”

Let’s go to the Omamama’s chamber, I need to speak with her.”

* * * *

 

“Announce me.”

“Yes, Junju Mama”

“Your Highness…, the Queen requests for an audience with you.”

“Let her in”

“She is ready for you Junju Mama,” Said Lady Song.

* * * *

“Yes Junju, what can I do for you? Sit”

She gestured for me to sit down and I bowed politely at her before sitting down.

“I will be leaving the palace for my family home for a few days. I will be taking the princess with me. My father’s health has deteriorated a lot so I wanted to take care of him for a few days Omamama”

This is good for me if she is away my plans can start without her presence to destruct his attention.

“You are fulfilling your filial duty to your father. Of course you should go and please send my best regards. You should get some herbal tonic from the Royal pharmacy.”

“Yes Omamama”

* * * * * * * *

 

“Mama the palanquin is ready,” Said lady Cho.

I got into the palanquin together with my beautiful three year old baby in my arms. “We are going to see your haraboeji my princess and if what I suspect is true we might come back with a big present for your Abamama.” I whispered and kissed her sleeping baby. “I love you.”

* * * * * * * * *

 

“Kyona …. The ministers are requesting for your presence in the Grand palace.”

What is it they want to discuss this time?

 “Let them know I will be there in a moment.”

“Yes, Your Majesty, replied Secretary Hong.

“Anyone out there?”

“Yes Kyona” replied Hyuksoo the King’s chief eunuch.

“We are heading to Grand palace make arrangements.”

“Yes Kyona”

* * * *

“Has his majesty already left for the Grand Palace?”

“Yes your Highness, he left for the Grand palace a while back,” replied Lady Song.

“Send someone there and ask them to ask the left state minister to come see me after.”

“Yes your highness.”

* * * * * * * *

 

“His Majesty the King!”

I walked in and sat majestically on my designated throne. They all bowed in respect for the throne.

“Kyona, we are sorry for requesting this emergency assembly with you but we need to act fast. The people are worried about the stability of the nation. The queen has not been able to bear a successor for the throne and given her health she will not be able to conceive one either,” said the left state minister.

This has been long overdue and I knew the ministers would present this but I was still not prepared for it. I still had no solution. No excuse to escape what I knew was the true reason for this meeting. Omamama has been pestering my about acquiring a new concubine and now she had resorted to using the ministers.

“So what do you suggest we should do to appease the people’s hearts Left State Minister?”

“Kyona, we suggest you get a new concubine that will bear us a promise of the future.”

“Left State Minister!!!” I hit the take with my fist showing my frustrations. It was clear they came prepared.

“Kyona…..” All bowed with respect.

“Kyona, please don’t be upset,” urged the right state minister.

I looked at him with unbelieving eyes.

“Fine, I heard your suggestion, I will think about it and give my answer.” I stood up indicating the meeting was over and done with.

I walked to my chamber furious with the ministers but I knew they were right. After the queen delivered the princess the royal doctor clearly stated that it was dangerous for her to conceive again. I need an heir for the throne but I can’t endanger her life. She is the most valuable possession in his life and he wasn’t going to risk that.

I don’t want to hurt her feelings by bringing in a new concubine but at the same time I need to sire an heir to the throne, it’s my duty that I must fulfill.

“Kyona …,

Right state minister is requesting an audience with you,” announced the chief eunuch.

“Let him in”

“Kyona …”

“Hmm, Minister Park, sit”

“I am sorry you have to hear this from me but the ministers are right. The nation needs a crown prince to appease the people’s hearts. Now we all know how you care for the queen and her getting pregnant again is dangerous so I am afraid there is no way out of this situation but to get a concubine. You are the King of this great nation and this is what is expected of you.”

“Don’t you think I know that? I know, and you are right, this is my duty and I must sire a hire for this nation but that doesn’t make it any easier.” I was frustrated because however much I tried I just couldn’t think of a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter