06 BFF

Time Heals
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Shin Hye was seated at the far end of the Engineering & Science section of the school library. There were about ten books piled in front of her but she was clueless what to do next. After she gathered all the books with titles related to their assignment, her mind suddenly went blank.

“Arghhh, think, think” She kept on persuading herself but nada, her mind is not at all functioning.

Instead of prodding herself to do something she was too lazy to do that very moment, she took a trip to the Literature Section. She wanted to read something light, something that would make her forget what happened earlier that day. Yes, she was still bothered but not as much. Back in the US, reading fictional books was her way to de-stress when things get out of hand; and that is what she would try to do now.

Her eyes caught ‘Hunger Games- Mockingjay’, the 3rd part of the Hunger Games Trilogy. She was a huge fan of the book as liked Katniss Everdeen’s kick- character and not to mention her not-so-cliché love story with Peeta Mellark.  She has read the first 2 installments but has lost her rhythm since that tragic accident. She reached for the hard-bound book placed at the topmost shelf only to find another hand holding it.

“Uhmm, sorry..you go first, I’ll just ask the librarian if there’s another copy” She said without looking at the owner of the hand.

“Ani, you can borrow it first” the other person spoke. The girl’s voice was rather familiar to Shin Hye’s ears.

“Krystal?!” She blurted out when she looked at the owner of the hand, still delusional.

“Omo, Julia-ah, is it really you?” She squeaked while cupping Shin Hye’s face; turning it from left to right

“Yah, it’s really me babo” Shin Hye and Krystal were giggling and hugging each other when the librarian approached them

“Girls, could you please tone down a bit” the librarian reprimanded them in a soft but strict manner.

Not to distract other students inside the library, the two decided to go a bubble tea shop just across the campus.

“Tch, I really can’t comprehend why you have not contacted me all this time that you’ve been back. It’s already your second week” Krystal said in sad tone.  Shin Hye can see from the look in her face that she really was flustered. That’s her ever-transparent, what-you-see-is-what you get best friend Krystal Jung. Well that attribute works both positively and negatively for Krystal; Shin Hye can easily sense her mood, and she perfectly knows how to appease her – bubble tea, like right now. On the other hand, being transparent is a disadvantage to her when it comes to telling lies. She just can’t.

“I already said sorry right?, and I am really really sorry. I didn’t mean to, it was just..I’ve been trapped in a predicament” Shin Hye gazing at Krystal’s eyes full of sincerity.

“What can I do? I miss you so much” Krystal said with a huge smile on her face then pulled Shin Hye for a bear hug.

“Aish, let me go, I can’t breathe. I do not know if you’re really happy to see me because right now I think you want me to die” Shin Hye faked a cough to which Krystal freed her.

“You’re over reacting Julia-ah, my hug isn’t that tight” Krystal said while rolling her eyes.

“Talk about over reacting, did you not see, we’re being watched by the other customers. They might think were lovesick lesbians, tch” Shin Hye held her head low in embarrassment.

“I won’t even fall for you had I been a guy, eh” Krystal fought back

“I highly doubt that, aren’t you my biggest fan? Shin Hye chuckled remembering how Krystal would always tell her she’s beautiful when she was bullied in school as an ugly duckling during her first months in the States.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter