Pain

Broken

“Dude! What hit you?” Sungyeol winced as Hoya joined him at the table.

“A boot” he winced himself as he gently prodded the newly formed bruise.

“Who’s boot?” Dongwoo entered the conversation examining his brother’s face. Unfortunately Hoya wasn’t able to answer right away as Dongwoo burst out laughing “That’s so not going to heal right away not even with the help of the moon tomorrow. Who did this again?”

Hoya shrugged “Had a mishap with the rogue.”

“No way!” Sungyeol couldn’t believe it.

“You know… Sunggyu’s going to make you go see Lay tomorrow right?” Dongwoo raised an eyebrow and Hoya groaned. By this time everyone had entered the kitchen.

 “He’s right” Sunggyu crossed his arms.

“He doesn’t smell like he fought a rogue.”  Everyone looked at SungJong who was seated on the counter kicking his heels. “The other scent doesn’t smell like a rogue. It’s a little different only slightly but it smells like pack.” Myungsoo and Woohyun nodded in agreement confirming SungJong’s findings.

“Now we really need to find him” Sunggyu said more to himself than any of the rest.

--

“Hey Lay.”

A young man walked out of the back room. “Hey guys, Sunggyu said you’d be stopping by sometime today.” Myungsoo and Hoya picked up on the man’s unusually rushed speech. “Here you go” he handed Hoya a tube “The cream has been enhanced. Use this and that bruise should be gone by tomorrow morning.”

“Thanks.” With a nod Lay turned back for the room but Myungsoo stopped him. “Do you need a hand with anything?”

 “No-” Lay paused in thought “Actually I might” he waved a hand for them to follow him. “Chanyeol brought someone in this morning. Physically they’re in a lot of pain and I’ve tried sedatives but all of them seem to run right through their system.”

 Hoya froze in the doorway “That’s the rogue.”

Lay nodded “Chanyeol told me his name is Gage.”

“Why is he like that? He was fine yesterday.” The healer shot him a questioning look and he pointed to his bruise in answer.

“He’s broken” Myungsoo answered.

Lay nodded again. “There’s nothing I can do for him but try to ease his pain until tomorrow.”

“Would it be alright if we took him off your hands?” Myungsoo watched as Lay’s faced lightened up.

“I would be in debt to you if you did. Even though we’re in central it’s not safe for him here, what with DooJoon wanting him dead and all.”

Myungsoo picked Gage up and his face seemed to relax a little ‘He’s rather light’ he frowned. Hoya took Gage’s bags and they left for the house.

“Why did you do that?” Hoya asked the younger.

“She smells like pack and needs our help.”

 “She?”

Myungsoo made a dismissive noise in reply as if saying she instead of he was a slip of the tongue. Hoya rolled his eyes “Alright Mr. Genius how are we supposed to help him?”

“A broken can be fixed with pack magic, if you know how.”

--

Sunggyu called for a meeting in the living room after Myungsoo placed Gage in one of the guest rooms. The whimpering started before he could say anything. “Dongwoo please.” Dongwoo got up to check on the broken wolf.

“Some of you may or may not remember but a broken is a werewolf who is unable to release their wolf.” He started with the explanation in an attempt to lessen the number of questions he might get.

“SungJong was right, he does smell like pack. What’s going to happen?” Woohyun asked from his seat next to Sunggyeol.

“For now we’ll try to help him and keep him hidden from the Sun pack. We’ll figure the rest out as we go.” Sunggyu immediately turned his attention to the youngest who was fidgeting in his spot “What is it SungJong?”

“She’s awake” he said softly as Dongwoo raced down the stairs heading for the kitchen.

--

The first thing Gage noticed was the pain that came with the day of the full moon was still there but it wasn’t the blinding searing pain that it usually was. And the second thing was blue hair. Dongwoo grinned widely and started talking the moment he noticed that Gage was awake. Sleep and pain were making it difficult for Gage to keep up with what he was saying so she let her eyes settle on the hand that was holding hers. That small contact is what was keeping a lot of the pain away. Her thoughts went back to earlier when Myungsoo had carried her and the pain had lessened then as well. Who were these guys? Dongwoo realized that she was looking at their hands and let go murmuring an apology. All the pain that his touch kept away rushed back and she had to fight not to curl into herself. Dongwoo swore and raced out of the room.

Working through the pain Gage managed to sit up draping her legs over the side of the bed. Feet pounded down the hallway and came to a stop in front of the room, to find Gage clutching her head and breathing heavy as she fought back tears. Sunggyu pushed through his brothers into the room. Gage listened as he ventured further into the room coming to a stop before her. Out of instinct he reached out and rested a hand on the back of her neck. She sighed and everyone watched as she visibly relaxed.

“Could…” Gaged closed her eyes not liking how weak her voice sounded. “Could you please keep your hand there long enough for me to take my contacts out?” she looked up at him.

‘I’ll keep it there as long as you want’ he thought as he nodded. He helped her to the bathroom across the hall eyes widening in shock as she relived her eyes of the murky colored contacts revealing their natural amethyst color.

“Thanks.” She removed herself from is touch and nearly crumpled from the rush of pain, before he scooped her up in his arms and carried her back to the room. Where he sat on the bed: with her on his lap.

“This isn’t necessary” she complained but didn’t try to move. It was comforting having someone care for her.

“Are you going to be okay tomorrow?” Sunggyu asked softly though she still felt the words rumble through his chest.

“Should be” She answered as Dongwoo walked in mug in hand. “Chamomile with rosemary and mint” he explained handing the mug to Gage. “It should help her sleep through the pain” he explained to Sunggyu. 

Gage froze mid sip “You know?”

They both nodded and Dongwoo smiled “You make yourself look and dress like a guy but one would have to be really stupid not to know your true gender.”

“There are a lot of stupid people in the world” she mumbled before taking another sip and Dongwoo burst out laughing while Sunggyu chuckled. “I like her, can we keep her?”

“I’m not a puppy.” Gage downed the rest of the tea before moving back under the covers and fought not to curl up against the pain.

Sunggyu frowned “I can stay until you fall asleep if you’d like” he offered.

She shook her head and tried not to let the pain show as another wave ran though her “I’ll deal, but thanks.”

He nodded and leaned down to kiss her forehead completely shocking her. “Sleep well” he said softly “We’ll talk tomorrow.” Gage nodded and watched the two males leave the room before closing her eyes.

--

After leaving the room Sunggyu pulled Dongwoo into the kitchen away from the rest of the pack. “We need to check family records.”

 Dongwoo looked him in the eye “You think…” Sunggyu nodded “First thing in the morning.”