Chapter 6

Our chance at happiness

The rest of the dinner was rather awkward, to say the least. Everyone was trying too hard to pretend everything was fine. Soyeon was talking too loud, Hyomin was making the lousiest jokes ever, and even Qri was trying to start random conversations. Eunjung was clearly worried and, since her poker face was non-existent, everyone could tell. Jamie was constantly leaning against her and asking if everything was fine, to which Eunjung always replied positively with a reassuring, if fake smile. At the end of the evening, the mood was still slightly gloomy, and all former T-ara members decided to take care of the cleaning up while Eunjung walked Jamie to her car.

When the couple was outside, Jamie took Eunjung’s face in her hands, making sure she wouldn’t escape her gaze this time.

“Baby... what’s going on?”

“What are you talking about? Nothing, I told you, I’m just a little tired. Sorry if my company was lousy tonight.”

Jamie still held onto her face and cracked a smile.

“Your company is never lousy, not even when you’re pouting.”

“I’m not!” Eunjung replied defensively with a cute little frown.

“Yes, you are. I’m not completely stupid you know. I know it’s about Jiyeon.”

At that, Eunjung looked down guiltily and took a step back.

“You’re still not over her, are you?” Her girlfriend asked calmly. She didn’t sound disappointed or angry, not even surprised. Somehow, it made Eunjung feel even worse.

“It’s just... She means so much to me, I hate seeing her like this... I’m sorry, I know I shouldn’t be saying this. It doesn’t mean I don’t love you, you know that, right?”

“I do. Yes, I believe you... But you love her too, don’t you?”

Eunjung knew this was not an accusation, and despite feeling guilty to be admitting this, she just couldn’t hide her true nature. She had been open about her feelings for Jiyeon before in front of Jamie, and she didn’t feel like lying now, not even to save face.

“I don’t think I’ll ever stop loving her. I’m really sorry.” She admitted shakily.

Jamie felt a pang in her heart, but she knew Eunjung was only being honest, and she couldn’t blame her for admitting what she already knew.

“You don’t have to apologize... You never said you didn’t love her anymore so... I should have guessed...”

“You probably don’t want to be around me anymore?” Eunjung sighed dejectedly.

“What are you talking about? I’m not gonna break up with you for telling me the truth, you know. I would prefer to have you all to myself, but what can I do? I knew from the start you two had a special relationship.”

Eunjung scoffed and shook her head.

“Ahah, no, we don’t. Not anymore. She’s so unpredictable, it’s like I don’t know her anymore. I think she might hate me sometimes... Anyway, I shouldn’t be talking about this, you already went through a lot tonight because of this screwed up situation... I’m so sorry...”

“Well, it’s up to you to figure out what’s going on with her. But please, just promise me one thing” Jamie asked, looking pointedly into Eunjung’s eyes.

“Anything.”

“Don’t assume I’m blind, or stupid. From now on, you talk to me when something is wrong. Okay?

Be honest with me, and we’ll be just fine.”

Eunjung nodded her head and hugged her girlfriend tightly, silently relieved to have someone so patient and understanding at her side. She might still love Jiyeon, but Jamie was her anchor and a real support in her life.

“I’m really glad to have you, you know?” She whispered in her ear, then kissed her neck tenderly.

“Yeah, you are. Big dummy!” Jamie laughed and freed herself from the crushing hug.

“Well, I gotta go, you should go back to your friends okay? And cheer up, because they’re worried too. Soyeon pretended to act so breezy I thought she was going to have a panic attack!”

“Yeah, I will. Thanks for everything, really. Drive safely and text me when you get home.” She kissed her lips affectionately and opened her car door for her.

“Will do, boss. We’ll talk tomorrow on the phone alright? Love you.”

“Me too!”

She watched the car get out of the driveway and went back into the house, feeling slightly better than during dinner. When she got back into the living room, her 4 friends were finished with the cleaning up and were sat around the coffee table, looking at her with wide anxious eyes as if she had just grown a pair of horns on the top of her head.

“Everything’s fine guys, you can start breathing again.” She said jokingly while flopping on the couch next to Hyomin.

“Jamie’s not too mad? Things were pretty awkward, fortunately for you, we’re the boss of diversion!” Boram said and Eunjung had to roll her eyes.

“Yeah, thank God you were there! She’s fine, we talked, and we’re cool, so don’t worry. Did... did Ji come back down?” She asked trying to mask her nervousness.

“Not yet... what about a movie to relax?” Hyomin offered, throwing her arms around Eunjung’s waist and putting her chin on her shoulder. “You know Jiyeon, she’s all grown up physically but sometimes she can still be a big baby. I’m sure she’s embarrassed about her reaction and she’s thinking of ways to apologize. Let her come back to you when she’s ready.”

“Yeah, I guess....”

 

 

A few moments later, they were in front of the TV watching a stupid show and drinking iced chocolates for Soyeon, Boram and Hyomin, or cocktails, for Eunjung and Qri.

Eunjung, though she was trying to enjoy her time with her friends was growing more and more worried about Jiyeon. It had been nearly two hours since the incident, and she had still not showed up again. She couldn’t stand not knowing what she was doing and, without thinking much, quickly got to her feet.

“I’ll be right back guys, I’ll... uh... just go check if we still have some ice in the freezer.”

“You have a bucket full of ice cubes here...,” Boram shouted after her, only to be given a death glare by Hyomin and Qri. “Nope, nevermind, they melted! You go get some more!”

 

 

 

She frantically searched the first floor, as discreetly as possible, and when she saw Jiyeon was nowhere to be found, she ran up the stairs and went for the second floor bathroom.

Again, it was empty. She opened all the doors to the guest room at this floor, but still no trace of the baby dino, not even in her own assigned room. Grabbing her head in frustration, she opened without much hope the door to the last room she hadn’t searched, her own bedroom.

It was dark inside, but she was instantly engulfed in a sweet, fresh, unmistakable scent. A scent she would recognize anywhere. Jiyeon...

She could feel her heart beating like crazy in her chest. Out of all the rooms, Jiyeon had chosen to hide in her own bedroom. She felt an irrational thrill at the thought. It made her feel special, powerful and needed. It made her feel like, maybe, Jiyeon’s attitude could be linked to jealousy and possessiveness, rather than discomfort towards her uality. Who would hide in someone’s room if they really hated them after all?

Deciding not to dwell on it for now, she quietly called out her friend’s name.

 

“Jiyeonnie? Are you here?”

No answer came. She listened closely, and could hear, in the middle of the room, where her bed was, a steady, calm breathing.

Maybe she fell asleep, she thought. Her eyes slowly adapting to the darkness, she carefully made her way to the bed. When she felt her knees hit the wooden edge, she slowly leant over and held out her arms, palms open in the air, to make sure Jiyeon was really there. Finally, she felt a blanket-covered lump, and let out a relieved sigh. She could clearly make out the form of the maknae under the covers, holding on to her giant Rilakkuma bear as if her life depended on it.

She the light on her bedside table, knowing that the younger girl would never wake up from the feeble light and feeling the gut-wrenching need to watch Jiyeon’s face. It had been so long since she could do so freely, without having to put on a mask of indifference.

Unable to resist, she let her hands slowly creep upwards, until she could feel a mane of soft, messy hair under her fingertips. She started running her hands calmly through Jiyeon’s dark tresses, relishing this tender connection. She was so happy, but at the same time, she felt a sudden wave of melancholy run through her.

In this room, so close to the love of her life, she could feel every emotion, every heartache, every memory hit her back, as if to remind her she would never, ever get over Park Jiyeon.

Without realizing, her eyes filled with tears and she started crying, still caressing Jiyeon’s soft hair. Suddenly, she felt the other girl stir and shift, and she quickly removed her hand. She didn’t exactly need for Jiyeon to think she was feeling her up in her sleep.

The maknae turned towards her, clearly confused.

“Eunjung?”

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to wake you up. I looked for you everywhere in the house...”

“It’s okay. I should be the one to say... hey what’s wrong, are you crying?”

Suddenly fully awake, Jiyeon sat on the bed and touched Eunjung’s tear stained cheeks, her brow furrowed in confusion.

“I... yeah, I didn’t realize. I was worried. Sorry, I’m being silly.” The older girl shrugged and attempted to laugh it off, but the maknae was not buying it.

“Don’t say that. Don’t say sorry, I’m the stupid one and you know it.”

“It’s okay. But... maybe we should talk?”

“I don’t really want to... I mean, I don’t want you to feel like I’m rejecting you, really it’s not that...”

“Then what is it? Talk to me Jiyeon-ah, I have to know what’s going on. I don’t know how to act around you anymore...” She asked pleadingly.

“It’s just... I’ve been thinking about things a lot lately, and seeing you again after so long... and then seeing you with Jamie... it’s a lot to process. I can’t really say anything else right now. I need to clear my head first. I don’t want to say stupid things... but please, know that I’m in no way repelled by you, and that I love you.”

Eunjung sighed quietly and rubbed her face, still frustrated but at least a little relieved to hear those words.

“Okay then. We’ll talk about it later. When you get your thoughts together?”

Jiyeon looked at her for a while, and then gave her a slight nod of the head.

“Sure. Yeah, we’ll talk later.”

“Sooo... maybe we could hug? Or is it off limits too?” Eunjung said with a playful nudge on Jiyeon’s shoulder.

The maknae gave a faint, seductive smile and held out her arms.

“Come here,” she uttered in a y, quiet voice, and Eunjung didn’t know if she was being seductive on purpose, but as she closed the small space between them and wrapped her arms around Jiyeon’s petite frame, she could feel chills run up and down her spine.

“You’re shaking, are you cold?” The maknae whispered against her neck.

“... No... I’m not.”

Needing no further clarification, Jiyeon half sighed, half moaned, and buried her face deeper in Eunjung’s neck, savouring this incredibly intimate moment she never knew she had craved so much.

 

“Hey, is anyone there?” a strong voice boomed on the other side of the door, and they jumped apart, hearts beating like crazy, just in time before the door opened.

“Oh, sorry... eh... am I interrupting?” Hyomin, who had popped her head inside, was a little surprised to find the two sitting on either side the bed, faces red as ripe tomatoes.

“No! We were just talking.”

“Yeah, about what, the size of your s? Why are you both so flushed? Seriously, you can smooch all you want, but don’t lock yourselves here! We’re getting bored downstairs!”

She jumped on the bed, carelessly crushing the two other girls under her body in the process.

“Arrgh!”

“Hey, watch it!”

 

“Oh here they are!” they heard from the hallway.

“Let’s go inside!” Boram goofily said, and the door boomed open once again, the three other girls entering like crazy kids.

“Whoaah, you’re storing the ice under your bed Eunjung-ah?!”

The older members were not fazed by the awkward situation and decided to join the party, jumping happily on the bed on top of the other whirring girls.

 

----------------------------------------------------

Here's the new chap, a little later than usual, sorry..... I sort of went through a rough weekend and wasn't exactly feeling like writing.

Hopefully my mood will improve but right now, I'm a little down, so I hope this chapter was not too disappointing. I know Jamie was still around, but I added a little EunYeon moment to make up for it!

Anyway, thanks always for the nice words and comments, it's really awesome and encouraging!