Chapter 3

Our chance at happiness

“Unnie, where should I put my bags?”

“Hey, this is mine, Hyomin-ah, give it back!”

“No way! Yours is old and ragged, my bag is brand new!”

“Come on, move out of the way!”

Leading the way inside the house, Eunjung could hear her guests bickering behind her just like old times and couldn’t help smiling blissfully at this. For the first time since she had moved to this country, the house really felt like home with her unnies’ voices and laughs resonating in the hall.

 

“Wow, Eunjung-ah, that place is so beautiful!...” said a flabbergasted Boram as she entered the room. All girls had the same reaction and gaped at the beautiful interior before them. Eunjung knew the place had character. She had bought the house with her first big check and was very happy about it. The main living room was elegant and cozy, with a combination of rich wooden furniture and cream walls. The parquet floor conveyed a chic and warm feeling that perfectly suited Eunjung’s personality. A wide bookcase was taking up the whole wall on one side of the room and various paintings were adorning the rest of the walls. And at the back of the room, a wide bay window provided a beautiful view on one of the masterpieces of the house...

“Omo! Is that an indoor swimming pool?” She heard Soyeon exclaim next to her.

“Yes, it is. I can also open the windows and retract to glass roof to change it to an outside swimming pool! But it’s too cold now, so we’ll keep it inside. You guys can drop your stuff in your rooms and dive in right away if you want to. I’ll prepare cocktails and snacks for you...”

“Eunjung-ah, seriously. I want nothing more than to stay here forever with you. Would you accept me as your wife?” Soyeon said jokingly, unaware of Jiyeon’s death glare on her.

 

Eventually, all girls found their way to their attributed room. Since they all featured a private bathroom, they all took the time to take a shower and change into their bathing suit.

After her shower, Jiyeon took a moment to lie on the bed, to collect herself before going downstairs. She didn’t know how to feel. So many things were going on in her head and she didn’t know what to make of it. All she knew was that she had missed Eunjung like crazy. And for some reason, the life she’d been living this last couple of years now seemed bland and boring compared to the rush of happiness she had felt looking at Eunjung’s smile for the first time in so long.

Suddenly, she felt something hard poke her head under her pillow. Curious, she lifted it and found a cute little plush dinosaur, with a note attached to it. It read;

“Jiyeonnie’s room <3 Welcome <3<3<3”

 

Overwhelmed by the cute gesture, she held the toy close to her chest, and laid back down with her eyes closed. She let memories engulf her, taking her back in time. Memories of Eunjung’s hope-filled eyes when she had confessed to her. Memories of confusion, incomprehension, anger. Memories of sadness, loneliness. And then, memories of Myungsoo. Calling her, texting her, trying so hard to make her fall for him. She had been rejecting him for weeks. And for some reason, all it had taken was for Eunjung to open her heart for her to finally cave in. To finally accept his advances. Eunjung’s confession had forced her to take a decision. The “right decision”. He was the right guy for her. But as Eunjung’s smile kept on replaying in her head, she wasn’t so sure what was right anymore. Suddenly, she felt something damp on the pillowcase under her cheek, and realized she’d been crying the whole time.

Whoah... seriously what is wrong with me? I should be downstairs with my friends, not crying my heart out alone in bed. With that thought, she got up and quickly went to spray some water on her face, hoping really hard no one would notice she’d been crying. Then, with one last glance at the mirror, she headed downstairs, resolute to make the most of her week and enjoy herself despite her confusion.

 

When she got downstairs, Jiyeon saw everyone was already getting one with their life as if they’d always lived here. Living together in a dorm for so long, all girls felt totally comfortable with each other, and it showed, even after years spent apart. Boram and Soyeon were already bouncing on a huge crocodile in the pool like kindergarteners. Qri was sitting at the side of the pool, applying some kind of lotion to protect her skin from chlorine. Jiyeon rolled her eyes at that, and looked for Hyomin, who was busy selecting tunes from the iPhone docking. Yep, things hadn’t changed much, considering.

As promised, Eunjung had kept busy in the kitchen, fixing drinks and snacks according to everyone’s tastes.

“Thanks, unnie, this looks awesome.” Jiyeon said quietly, approaching the older girl.

Surprised, Eunjung jumped slightly at her voice but quickly regained her composure.

“Oh, it’s nothing really. I just wanted you all to feel good and relaxed. You’re here to rest and have a good time.” She gave her a quick smile, then turned back to the counter to fix what looked like a chicken sandwich from here.

A little disappointed by Eunjung’s lack of conversation, Jiyeon decided to head for the pool.

“Hey Jungie, would you like some help?” Hyomin asked from her spot near the couch.

“Nope, I’m all set, but thanks!”

“Really, you’re the perfect wife! How come you don’t have a cute husband yet?” Hyomin asked jokingly.

This question made Eunjung stop dead in her tracks.

“Yeah, about that... I need to tell you guys something...”

“Unnie, who is that?”

Flinching inwardly, Eunjung turned to Jiyeon. She was standing close to the fireplace, and was holding a picture frame in her hands. Eunjung sighed in defeat. Of course, of all people, Jiyeon would be the first one to notice the photo of her and Jamie together. Jiyeon was looking curiously at the frame, as if reading a book in a foreign language. She was trying to comprehend the meaning behind it.

On the picture, a beautiful Asian girl was smiling brightly at the camera with her arms wrapped tighly around Eunjung’s neck. Eunjung had her head titled to the side, smiling fondly at her with her trademark crooked smile. It was obvious, though the pose was chaste, that the two shared an intimate connection.

“It’s ehh... Jamie.” Eunjung finally muttered.

Glancing towards the pool, she saw all movements had stopped; even the Tom & Jerry couple had stopped arguing over the crocodile’s ownership. Her friends' questioning gazes were all directed on her, obviously expecting a little clarification.

Here we go, she thought.

“She’s my girlfriend...”

-------------------------------------------------------------

Here it is guys, a little longer than the previous one! I'm really moved by your awesome words and support and I'm glad you like the stroy so far. Don't worry, I'm a er for happy endings, but I'll just make them suffer a little bit more before they finally reunite! Love is never easy, but it's even greater when you've overcome huge difficulties! For Jamie's character, I got insipired by a beautiful actress that I personally really like and that I think would be the perfect girlfriend for Jungie (beside Baby Dino, of course!! She's the one and only for her!). Look up Jamie Chung if you want to know what she looks like (I'm sure you all hate her already^^)

See you next time for the rest of the story, and thanks again for all the positivity!