O5장

Unimpeachable Fugitive: Rebirth [SEMI-HIATUS]

I saw Victoria headed towards the main door in a hurry after Nichkhun left for work few minutes later. "I'm late, I'm late! I'm so damn late!" She said while wearing on her black Prada shoes. I glanced at the grandfather clock that was placed right beside me in the living hall. It shows half an hour to twelve noon. She isn't late at all. She's meeting her hoobae at three in the afternoon but now it's only eleven-thirty in the morning. She had at least three more hours to go.

"Um, unnie?" I tried to hold back my tears and laughter as I saw her fell down to the ground because the Prada shoes that she was wearing suddenly snapped. She cursed at her shoes and threw it far away. Sigh, what a pity to that Prada shoe.

She slightly poked her head in and raised an eyebrow while looking at me. "Are you sure you're late? I mean, the grandfather clocks shows eleven-thirty in the morning," I looked at my Hello Kitty watch and nodded. "So does my watch. Why are you heading out so early?"

"Really?" Victoria frowned while unlocking the password from her hand phone. "But my hand phone says three in the afternoon. Ajeossi, what time is it?"

The butler that was standing beside her took a look at his watch. He then raised his hands and show Victoria. "It’s eleven-thirty, madam."

Victoria looked like she was going to burst out in anger in any moment. "!" She cursed while walking in the house. "My phone always has this problem! It will automatically change my date and time! God, it even wrote today's date is the 1st of January 2012!"

The butler chuckled a little while looking at Victoria who later threw her phone on the couch angrily. "Madam, do you want me to order a new one for you?"

Victoria parted her lips like she was going to say something but stopped. She raised her index finger and shook it. "Wait, I've got a brilliant idea!" She squealed as she rushed out from the living hall again. This time, she wore a gold-coloured Jimmy Choo high heel without falling to the ground. She grabbed her Channel handbag from the butler and jump about excitedly. "Ajeossi, please help me make a call to Hong Bin sunbae-nim! I want to make an appointment with him, immediately. Can you do that?"

"O-Of course, madam and do you mean Hong Bin sunbae-nim as in Detective Lee Hong Bin?" I saw the butler tilted his head in question. Victoria beam and nodded her head. "Oh, and," she added quickly. "Call Lawyer Wu Yi Fan, my cousin."

 

 

Ugh. Bored and bored and bored! All I do in this house is dramas and more dramas. I wished I could get out of this house and do some decent work. No, don't get me wrong. Victoria treats me really well and I do like her being my god-sister but I can't just sit around doing nothing, right? I need work; I need a job but who would want to hire a nation thief?

I should be out there searching for Lu Han but what am I doing now? Enjoying. Relaxing. Fun. I can't do that; I need to find Lu Han. If, only if, he did have a girlfriend, I still want to meet him. I want to meet him and ask him all the questions that were locked up in my heart for two whole years.

Why did you choose to leave me? Did you have a girlfriend? Did you have a wife? Did you stop loving me because I was a criminal? Did I bring shame to you and your family? These entire questions kept coming to my mind and I know that he and only he could answer it and take away the weight from my heart.

"Jageun-ah!" a scream snapped me out of my thoughts and I almost fall off from the couch. Trust me; Victoria had a scream that was louder than any girl in the universe. “Dear, guess what?” She skipped happily towards my direction and beamed. I thought she was a puppy for the moment there cause’ she looked like she was flipping her ears and wagging her tail.

“Guess… what?” I scrunched my nose up and tilted my head as I knitted my eyebrows close together in thought. “You’re… pregnant?”

Victoria gapped as she heard my ‘answer’. “God, no! This thing I was going to tell you about is related to you, not me.” I bowed my head in apology but she just ruffled my hair in amusement. “Jageun-ah, you’re looking for a job but nobody wanted to hire you, right?”

I nodded my head eagerly and focused on what she was going to say next. “You had been away in prison for five years at the age of eighteen and that means you missed out a lot of your college studies. To get a proper job, college and universities graduation certificates is very important whether it is degree, master or a diploma one.

“So…” Victoria took out a stack of papers from an A4-size brown envelope. I stare at the paper in confusion as she passed it to me happily. “I signed you up in Seoul National University. You can choose any course you want. Ethics, Business, Economics, Medical and much more is provided in this university. Tell me which course you want and I’ll tell my friend who works there.”

“But…” I stared at the paper that was filled with information about Seoul National University in disbelieved. “How?”

Victoria could hardly contain her joy as she heard my question that was full of curiosity. “Oh, it was as easy as ABC, dear. I met up with my old high school sunbae who was now working as a detective and my cousin who was a lawyer. They were both shocked at my request but they’re willing to help you.”

“Me?” I almost shrieked as I heard Victoria’s explanation.

“Yup. I couldn’t sign you up to a university with people pointing fingers at you so I asked help from both of them. I asked them to change your profile information. A new identity.” She flipped through the page from the stack of paper I was holding. She stopped as one of the headers wrote ‘Profile Information’. “Welcome to Seoul National University, Choi Byeol.”

 

 

This is weird, really weird. I literally grew up with mom and dad calling me 'Jageun' but now? In minutes, Jageun was gone and Choi Byeol was reborn. Come to think of it, it was a good idea though. People had known me as 'Jageun', a criminal, a daughter from a family who robbed bank. It wasn't just any bank. It was Hana Bank, Seoul's biggest bank! I rather die of embarrassment and humiliation than living in it. Thanks mom, thanks dad.

I told Victoria that I'll choose business administration so I could later learn from her about fashion business and she couldn't be happier to say 'yes'. Fashion... couldn't be that bad, right? Ugh. Now I need to memorize all the information of the new me. "Annyeonghaseyo, my name is Choi Byeol and I'm turning twenty-three this year. Because of my sickness, I've been staying in a hospital for five years and only got here today. I want to learn... what?"

I squinted my eyes to look more clearly at the paper full of words. "Oh, business in fashion and-" I stopped as I heard a knock that was formed on my bedroom door. "Yes?"

"Byeol, can I come in?" Victoria spoke through the other side of the door. It was strange hearing Victoria called me 'Byeol'. I mean, I had to get used to it to save myself. "Yeah, sure!" I stood up as Victoria unbolted the door and walked in. She was holding a tray of tea and light snakes. "I bought you snacks." I thanked her as she placed the tray on my table. She then sat beside me on the bed and stare at the paper that I was holding. "Having hard time?"

"A little," I chuckled as I took a sip of tea from the tray. "I kept forgetting this and that. The only thing that I could memorize really well was my age. I'm afraid that I wouldn't reply or answer people once they started calling me 'Choi Byeol'. This name sounded like a stranger to me. Choi Byeol... Byeol... Choi Byeol... Byeol-"

Victoria took my hand in hers and patted it lightly as she putted on a pair tender eye. "Jageun- I mean, Byeol-ah. Do you know why I gave the name 'Choi Byeol' to you?” I shook my head in thoughts that she only picked it randomly without any further meaning behind it.

“In Korea, 'Choi' is originally written in Hanja and it's pronounced as 'Cui' in Chinese. It symbolized as mountains and birds in which means 'a governor who oversees the land and the mountain'. As you know, 'Byeol' means 'star', right? Stars are the one people always see at night that shines brightly in the sky besides the moon and the sun. I wished that you will be a wise and good-hearted person that not only rule the people, but also shine out among them."

"Unnie..." I was at loss for words. When Victoria explained that to me, I felt like the whole world was on my side. I couldn't express the happiness that was in me. She didn't just randomly pick a name for me but she chose it with meanings that could bought my name up and help me in the future. I was beyond happy. A happiness that I've never felt since the last I saw Lu Han. "Thank you."

She ruffled my hair as she accepted my thanks. "Nah, this is just some little things that I could do for you. As the saying goes, 'Nothing in life is free. Everything comes from one hundred percent of effort.' So don't just memorize it, feel it with your heart. You're not a robot, we don't create you. You are the one who create yourself. You're Choi Byeol. What kind of person do you want Choi Byeol to be? What kind of person do you want you to be?"

"I..." I stared back at the paper that I was holding. Victoria gave a winsome smile and walked out of my room, not forgetting to close the door before leaving. I took a final look at the paper then threw it aside. "I want to be Choi Byeol."

 


`author's note

Hope you like this update dearie readers!
Btw, I requested a poster from Cloudy Dream for the prequel!
Isn't it pretty and wonderful? I'm totally in love with it :3
Do you like it? o.o
Lastly, do comment, subscribe and upvote for more updates!
They are loved! <3