O8장

Unimpeachable Fugitive: Rebirth [SEMI-HIATUS]

"Here is your class," Lu Han ushered me in and I walked in, feeling awed by all the decorations and furniture. They are placed neatly and you could not even see a speck of dust under the table or in the corner. "Yah," he used more than half of his strength and pushed me in as I was still amazed by the royalty classroom. "Quit dreaming, go and pick a seat."

I pretended to rub my back in pain but Han just refused to apologize to me. He walked right passed me and hummed a little song. Wait. Was he entering my class? He's taking law and I'm taking business; he shouldn't be in here. I quickly grabbed a hold of Lu Han's arms and stopped him. "Sunbae-nim, aren't you leaving?"

"Leaving? Who? Me?" Lu Han raised an eyebrow at me and point his index finger at himself.

With a nod to myself, I dragged him out of the classroom and he just put on a poker face. "Out."

"Han, why aren't you getting in?" a lady wearing red-colour glass asked from behind. Getting in? Lu Han was supposedly in this class... with me?! I looked closely for the lady to say something but instead, she pushed me and Lu Han in to the class. "You're the new student right? What's your name again?" The lady pulled me back and asked me, not forgetting letting Lu Han go first.

"Yes, my name is Choi Byeol," I bowed at her slightly. "And you must be?"

"Oh," the lady nodded her head in understatement. "I'm Miss Han, your-" her words had been cut off as she saw some boys getting into a fight vividly. "Hey! Both of you! Come up here this instant or I'm calling your parents and I'm sure, you don't want that to happen!"

The two boys end their fights and glare at each other after walking towards Miss Han. I took that chance and quickly slipped myself one seat away from Lu Han. "Sunbae-nim, now's your chance, quickly get out from here before Miss Han catches you again!"

Lu Han gave me a baffled look but later shook his head. "Don't want to."

I felt like slapping him on the face right now. He acted just like an immature kid, disturbing and entering other people's class. "Why not?"

"Choi Byeol-ssi," Lu Han turned his body slightly and eyed me. Ah, he finally called me by my new name, not my old one. "You better listen carefully. You're taking Business and Management and I'm taking Law," yes, Lu Han. Clearly, I know that so get out of my class this very moment. "And today's class is Business Law, get it?"

"No," I replied almost immediately because yes, I don't get what you are trying to say. All I know was that you got into the wrong class, get it?

Lu Han faced palm at me. "Okay so, you're taking Business Management and one of your classes is to study Business Law. I'm taking law as my course and there are various types of law I need to study. One of the laws that I need to study is Business Law, do you understand it now?" He eyed me to search for an answer.

I finally snapped in realization and I nodded my head slowly while eyeing him back. "I guess...?"

"Well," Lu Han heaved a sigh of relieve from my reply and later focus back on his book. "Not just Business Law. Most of our law classes is combine together with Business Management class for example, English class or Mathematical and Quantitative Reasoning." Eyes looking in front, he explained to me.

"Class," my attention turned away from Lu Han and search for the source of sound. It was Miss Han, my so-called lecturer of Business Law stood in front of the white board while placing one of her hands on her hips. "Today, we have a new student joining our class and I hope you can welcome her with much joy. Choi Byeol-ssi?"

"Ah, yes," I answered and quickly got to the front, slightly nervous from the stares that was given to me in the room. This was the first time of me joining classes and entering schools after my whole twenty-two years and it felt scary yet exciting. "Annyeonghaseyo, my name is Choi Byeol and I'm turning twenty-three this year. It’s nice to meet you."

"May I ask you a question, Byeol-ssi?" A voice suddenly spoke up and I immediately turn to look at Lu Han. "Of course, sunbae-nim, go on." I nodded my head a little after receiving a nod from Miss Han.

Lu Han stood up which cause all the students to look at him. "Why did you start college late?"

"Han, I think that question is a little too personal to ask," Miss Han frowned at Lu Han's question then eyed me with concern. "Byeol, you don't need to answer to that question."

"No, that's okay Miss Han," I smiled but a little worried that Lu Han might still suspect me as Jageun. "I'll answer to that question since I'm pretty sure that everyone in this room is curious about it too. I was sick... during the past five years." I caught a look on Lu Han's face like he wasn't expecting that I'll say that.

"Omona, I'm sorry to hear that," Miss Han patted my shoulder while putting on a shocked face. "Are you alright, Byeol?"

"It was painful, receiving treatments and laying on the hospital bed for five years." Hey, I think I'm getting better at this. I guess I was born to have an acting talent since everyone got pranked at my story. "But I got recover successfully so here I am today, starting college at the age of twenty-three."

My attentions turn back to Lu Han after scanning the whole classroom. "Does this answer to your question, sunbae-nim?"

"Y-Yes," Lu Han tried not to look around as everyone's eyes was looking at him. His voice sounded crack but he later cleared his throat. "Congratulations on your recovery, Choi Byeol-ssi."

"Yes, it is something to congratulate on," Miss Han nodded at Lu Han's words and I was taken aback by his sudden change of expression. "Congratulations on your successful recovery, Byeol." She then clapped her hands and the other students followed after her.

I didn't know what to do but just smiled at the whole class, feeling a little guilty for lying to them. "Thank you, thank you."

"Han, is it alright to let Byeol take the seat beside you?" Miss Han questioned while looking around for an empty seat. "I assume it wouldn't be a problem, right?"

Lu Han smiled and nodded his head but I could see that he was lying. He doesn't look comfortable for me sitting beside him. He looked... uncomfortable. "It's okay Miss Han; I'll just take the seat at the back. You don't need to trouble sunbae-nim."

"But, you'll be sitting far behind and I'm sure, you will not be able to see the white board from there." Miss Han explained with a worried look.

"It's okay-" 

"It is not okay," my words had been cut off by an all too familiar voice. "Miss Han, you wouldn't let her sit there, would you?" Victoria gave a not too friendly smile at Miss Han who was standing there, nervous and scare... I think. "Byeol, go and sit beside Han and if you have any problems with your studies, feel free to ask him."

Without hesitation, my legs brought me towards the seat beside Lu Han and my just obediently sat down on the chair. I don't know why but Victoria's words just sound frightening and without second thoughts, I obeyed her words. 

"Qian, what are you doing here?" Miss Han asked and I could see that she was actually choosing her words carefully as if she's going to die if her words came out inappropriately. "I-It's been awhile, huh?"

Victoria smiled at me after seeing me sat down beside Lu Han and I bit her back a tight smile. "It's Victoria."

"Huh?"

"I said," Victoria turned her gaze at Miss Han and eyed her firmly. "It's Victoria, not Qian. We aren't that close that you have to call me by my Chinese name, isn't that so? And wow, I didn't know you had become a lecturer at our old school. It must be nice, isn't it? Didn't you say you were planning to go to the States on becoming a model?"

I caught some snorts and giggles from the students as they look at Miss Han from head to toe. I felt a little bad for Miss Han, hearing those words came out from Victoria. She sounded like some plastics from the movie "Mean Girls".

"Qian, don't do this." Miss Han tried to smile back at Victoria. "Let's talk outside."

 

"Your god-sister may seem bad but trust me, she isn't." I turned to look at Lu Han who suddenly spoke up after giving me a silent treatment after the whole drama of me sitting beside him.

"What do you mean by that?" I whispered back at him but still focus my attention at Victoria and Miss Han.

"You see," Lu Han sat closely so that he could whisper comfortably at me. "Victoria and Miss Han used to be best friends during high school days. After going on college, Miss Han changed and she practically backstabbed Victoria."

"No way!" I screamed a little and looked around to make sure no one heard it. "Why?"

Lu Han closed both his eyes and shrugged. "Don't ask me. I won't spill a single word without Victoria's consent."

"Please?"

"No."

I think I was too immerse in the 'please' and 'no' cause I did not realize Victoria had already walk up to us and she was crossing her hands together. The tapping sound from her high heels actually scared me and she was eyeing Lu Han like a tiger looking at a deer.

"You this piece of trash," I heard Victoria murmured under her breath and she started using her pouch to hit him. Him as in Lu Han. "You're all good for nothing! Is this how I taught you after all these years, huh?" Victoria hit Lu Han repeatedly in the head and Lu Han winced in pain, trying to defend himself. "I'm so ashamed to call you my hoobae, do you know that?"

"Ah, sunbae!" Lu Han tried to grab her hand to stop her from hitting him. "Stop it, it hurts!"

"Ah, it hurts doesn't it, oh?" Victoria pause for a moment to speak, sarcastically, but later continue her hitting.

I quickly held Victoria's hand before she gets the chance to hit Lu Han again. "Unnie, stop! Please, just stop!"

Victoria did stop after that and she adjust her coat nicely as if nothing had ever happened. She cleared and looked around the students who were dazzled by the previous scene. "I hope all of you can take a really good care of my god-sister, Byeol. Can you guys do that?" She showed the class her 'celebrity smile' and the whole class nodded in agreement.

Before leaving the room, Victoria held two of her fingers up and point her eyes then to Lu Han as a signal to him 'I'm watching you'. She later turned and gave me her sweet smile and walked out of the classroom.

Lu Han leaned against the chair restlessly and blinked his eyes a few times. "What was that?"