O7장

Unimpeachable Fugitive: Rebirth [SEMI-HIATUS]

It wasn't a pleasant tour... at all. Lu Han rarely talked to me and he acted just like a zombie or a robot. After shaking my head for a few times at his awkward question, he turned away furiously and ruffled his hair in frustration. I could hear him said something before he turned his back against me. "What am I thinking? That a dead person is alive after all? She's dead, it's useless." Who was he referring too? Who died?

"Uh, sunbae-nim..." My eyes widen with horror as I saw the direction Lu Han was heading. Oh no, I must stop him before something bad happened to him! I don't know whether he is deaf or he is pretending not to listen to me because he just refused to stop and look at me. I stretched out my arms to hold him back but failed to as he when straight and hit the pillar. It was rather a frightening sound as his head and the pillar made contact. "Omona, sunbae-nim, are you alright?"

Trust me; I almost cracked a laugh because he looked just like a kid with a blank face after hitting to the pillar. He fell down with a loud thud and his books went flying everywhere. He was blur as if a lightning had just him on the spot which made him not getting up from the floor. Lu Han shook his head a few times as he narrowed his eyes to look upfront.

"Oppa! Are you alright?" a pretty lady about the age of a teenager came running towards our direction after Lu Han managed to stand up. He had showed me a glare to signal me not to laugh. "Are you hurt anywhere else?" The school uniform that she was wearing showed that she came from a wealthy family with good background. She pampered Lu Han like he was her God.

Lu Han swept the dust away from his shirt and picked up the books that went flying everywhere from the air to the ground. I quickly got down on my knees and lent a hand to pick the books up. I sensed a glare from the lady who was standing there dumbfounded while watching me and Lu Han picking up the books. "What are you doing here?"

"Huh?" I looked up at him as I was going to grab the book that wrote 'Litigation in Korea'. Huh, he must have kept his promise in being a lawyer since he studied all this law books. There was another one written 'Intellectual Property Law in Korea' lying not far from where I kneeled. He glanced at me for a while before turning his head back down and shook his head.

"I wasn't asking you," he stood up and later thanked me for lending a hand. He hold onto his stack of books tightly while using the other hand and rubbed his forehead that was now forming bruises from the hit. It must have hurt a lot since it was such a loud 'bang' sound. He heaved in a deep breath and turned to face the lady who was still standing there with an angry pout while glaring at me. "What are you doing here? I mean, why?"

The lady still refused to lessen her glare at me while huffing angrily. "Oppa, who is this? Are you cheating on me?!" She pointed at me with a fierce glare.

"Who is this isn't important and I'm not cheating on you," Lu Han frowned while eyeing the high school lady. "We are not even dating, so why is this called cheating? Don't be such a kid and go back home instead of wasting your time here. This is a university, not your playground." Lu Han patted her shoulder gently but still putting on a firm and serious look.

"This is called cheating! We're engaged that means we're dating! Oppa, I'm not a kid anymore, I'm nineteen, a grown woman!" The lady huffed while stamping her foot slightly on the ground.

"Engaged?" I uttered that word without me realizing it. It was all too sudden. I mean, Lu Han did not have a girlfriend but in return, he had a fiancée? How could he do this to me? He didn't even mention a break up but have the heart to get engaged to someone else? I felt like my heart had torn to pieces after hearing the word coming out from the lady's mouth. Lu Han, you're one lucky guy, do you know that? After leaving me, you got engaged to a prettier, richer girl?

The lady smile wickedly and eyed me while putting her chin high up. "Yes, oppa and I are engaged! This man here is taken as he belongs to me. We love each other that's why we got engaged! So off who-ever-you-are before I get my hands on you, understand? Don't stick yourself at my oppa, okay?"

Come on', you think I would be scare after hearing your words? You're just a tiny little high school girl and I'm much older than you. To make things clear, you're the one who stick yourself to Lu Han. Lu Han had been mine from the very beginning and you're the one who's getting in our way. I'm kindly giving him to you so thank me, not threaten me.

"Krystal! Do you not hear me? I say go home, don't be such a baby, okay? Byeol is a new student in our university and I'm just bringing her around. Do you not learn any manners at home? Don't you know you must not be rude to those who are older than you? And, what? We love each that's why we got engaged? Don't make me laugh. Go home, now." Lu Han roared out of a sudden and I was shocked.

"Oppa..." the lady who was later known as Krystal spoke softly after hearing Lu Han's uproar. The feeling she had right now must have been similar with me. But, why was Lu Han that angry? Was he forced into this marriage? Did he have a quarrel with his fiancée last night? I don't get it. I've never seen him this mad before. Or maybe, I've lost track in time with him when I spent my years in prison.

Krystal sniffed a little of her tears up and ran away dramatically. Hello there, this isn't a drama. You don't need to show your tears of 'sadness' at Lu Han. "Is that your-"

"Shut up," Lu Han snapped before I could even get the words out of my mouth. He continued rubbing his swore head while closing his eyes tightly. He must have badly hurt back there and I couldn't believe that he could still act as if nothing happened. He shook his head a few times as he narrowed his eyes to search for direction. "I-"

Without hesitation, I quickly grabbed his wrist tightly and dragged him. "No, you shut up," I snapped back at him, rudely, I think.

"Where are we heading? Where are you bringing me too?" He asked worriedly as if I happened to be a kidnapper or a serial killer.

"Relax," I tried my best to sound... normal. "I'm just bringing you to hell and let the demons burn your swollen forehead. Do I have to repeat it again for you to understand?" I continue dragging him towards the direction of the infirmary room and I'm sure, there are many eyes staring at both of us right now. And I'm pretty sure again, we looked like idiots.

"Do you know where the infirmary room is?" Lu Han asked as I was still searching for the word 'infirmary' or maybe 'hospital' along the way. Oh, come on', can't the word just pop and say "I'm right here, take a turn and I'm right here!" This school is really big; I almost thought it was a Joseon Dynasty's palace.

"I'm not stupid," I growled at him while looking towards my left and right each time I passed by a room door. I could sense a nod from him and he willingly let me drag him around like a little boy.

 

 

"Oh, you're not stupid," Lu Han crossed his arms as he eyed me who was pinching my nails together, ashamed. Hey, I was a new student here and I was just trying to help, have some respect. "I guess we're goners. I can't believe I actually got lost from my very own school," he scoffed as he looked around for signs.

"I'm sorry, I thought it was right there," I tried to explain but failed to.

Lu Han stopped his pace and turned to face me. He walked towards me and stood right in front of me. I gulped down my saliva and eyed him nervously as he eyed me back firmly. "You thought it was right there? Right there, where? Tell me where, Jageun-" He stopped as it was his turn to gulp down a saliva. I could see his Adam apples moving as his eyes kept avoiding mine.

"Jageun..." I said out loud, still looking at him. It felt weird, reciting my own name. A name that was used to be mine but not anymore. "Why... Why do you keep calling me that? Who is she?" I wanted to know; I wanted to know who I am to him. I'm sure that there was a reason for him to leave me when I needed him the most. "What happened to her?"

As if his spirit had finally returned to his body, Lu Han blinked a few times and distanced himself away from me. "Mind your own business," he replied firmly as he sat in one corner and massaged his swollen forehead. Why is he not telling me? Why did he look... sad after mentioning my name? Why was he avoiding my eyes when he was staring at it a moment ago?

"Here," I squat down and placed myself beside him. I slowly took away his hand that was placing on his forehead and pushed his hair to the back. He widened his eyes at my sudden approach but decided to see what happen next. I took a quick look on his swollen forehead and nodded a little. 

The thought of hard-boiled egg appeared in my mind and I hurried to grab my bag. I took out an egg from the container that I brought and peeled its shell. Holding the egg in my hand, I rolled it over his swollen forehead a few times. I could see him squinted his face up a little and a smile started to form from my lips. "Feeling any better?"

"Yeah," he nodded as I kept the egg back to the container. "Do you bring hard-boiled eggs everywhere you go?"

I kept the container back into my bag before turning to face him again. "It's my breakfast, actually. Thanks for ruining my morning food, sunbae-nim. And why are you asking me that? Does it look weird to you?"

"No, not at all," he replied as he got up and brushed the dust from his back. He looked down to face me who was still sitting on the ground uncomfortably. To my surprise, he stuck out a hand, signalling me to hold it. I found myself looking dumbfounded but he pulled me up without hesitation which left me in gasps. "I just know someone who does exactly the same thing to me when I got hurt."