O1장

Unimpeachable Fugitive: Rebirth [SEMI-HIATUS]

"Don't touch my daughter!" I heard mom scream at the police officer who was holding me tightly. I was struggling hard to free myself from his clasp but the police officer was strong, strong enough to break a door with one hand. I couldn't save mom and dad. If only I could free myself from the police officer's clasp... If only Han was here... "She had done nothing wrong! Just arrest me. Leave my daughter alone!"

"Sorry ma'am." The police officer shook his head repeatedly with a serious look on him. It looked scary as it sent shivers down my spine. "We can't do that. The higher ups said to arrest the whole family for breaking the law of robbing."

Mom was trying her hardest to free herself too. "But I am the one who robbed banks, not my daughter! She didn't do anything! She didn't get involved with us when me and my husband robbed banks! Please police officer, I know you have a kind heart. Please just release my daughter, please!"

I could see that the police officer was sighing to himself as he looked at the other police officers. I knew he didn't have the rights to release me. He couldn't do that unless he himself wanted to get fired from his job. I looked at him as he lessened his grip a little, but it still left a scar on my wrist. My wrist and arms were aching, but all I could think of now was freeing my mom. Mom and dad didn't give me the amount of love like Lu Han's parents did, but I know in their hearts, I was important because I was their daughter by blood and flesh.

"Ma'am," the police officer finally spoke up. "I would like to help you but I'm afraid this is our job. We can't let fugitives escape. Our job is to keep the country and nation safe. It is our job to catch criminals who break the laws. If you want, you must let the higher ups decide."

 

 

I was sent to prison for five years. The higher ups decided to lessen my punishment because I didn't really get involved with my parents in robbing banks. I'm still counted a thief, a fugitive, because according to the higher ups, I knew about my parents plan on robbing banks but I didn't make a report on it. How could I let the police arrest my parents? I knew it was wrong of them to break the law of robbing but nevertheless, they are my parents, I love them. They robbed banks to feed me, to let all of us survive like one big happy family.

Mom and dad were locked up in the same prison cell and I was locked up on the prison cell beside theirs. At first I thought it was okay that I will be in the prison cell alone but to my surprise, there are other two young adults. Both are women. They saw on my profile card that the crime I committed was 'robbery' and both of them started hitting me. I don't know why they do it but it hurts me a lot. When I tried to escape from their grasp they would hit me harder. One of them kicked me on the stomach and I screamed because it was really painful.

I cried and screamed and I could hear mom and dad was shouting at me, asking if I was okay. I couldn't answer them because I was busy screaming at the two young adults to stop as I'm pretty sure my body is forming bruises. One of the lady officers heard my screams and came barging into our cell. She and the other lady officer pulled the two women away and I was left clutching to myself on the floor. I couldn't move a single inch because once I did; I could feel another needle started poking me on the back. 

The lady officer finally changed the other two women to a different cell and I'm glad that I'm all alone in the cell. I'm pretty sure I don't need another cellmate. The lady officer kindly asked a prison doctor to help in curing my wounds and I'm really thankful to the lady officer as well as the prison doctor. Seems not all police officers are that bad-hearted.

It was at dawn that I suddenly woke up from my sleep. I heard people struggling and screaming beside me. I recognize the voices because it belongs to my mom and dad. I immediately stood up and saw a few police officers were pulling mom and dad out of their cells. I wondered why. "Let me see my daughter, let me see her! Just one final look will do, okay? Please! Just one final goodbye will do!" Mom was literally begging the police officer. 

The police officer nodded his head and directed my mom and dad to my cell. I raised an eyebrow as mom stood in front of my cell, "Mom, what do you mean a final goodbye? Are you going somewhere with dad? Where are you going? Can I come along?"

Mom took my hand and placed it on her cheek. She gave me a warm smile and shook her head. "Jageun-ah, mom and dad felt sorry for you. You wouldn't be here if it weren't for us. Be a good girl and stay here, okay? And," mom placed both her palms on mine and patted it. "Always remember this, mummy and daddy love you. You are a brave girl, Jageun-ah."

That was the last I saw mom and dad. They didn't come back to their cells, they didn't say 'goodnight' to me when it was night fall. I didn't sleep a wink because I was waiting for mom and dad. Lu Han visited me every day after I was being arrested. I don't have the face to see him because I felt really ashamed of myself. How a perfect boy could have a girlfriend who was a prisoner?

Lu Han never fail to see me every day. He told me stories of his college life and how he is going to be a lawyer when he grew up so that he could defend my case. I felt really happy and lucky. I had a boyfriend who loves me for who I am and would do anything for me. He was such a sweetheart. I got curious every day because mom and dad did not come back to the prison cell. I missed them. I told Lu Han about this but he just kept quiet when I mentioned about my parents. He had the worried looks and he look as if he was going to cry.

"Jageun-ah, your parents..." Lu Han finally spoke up when I asked him again today. "T-They died."

I suddenly cracked a laugh. What does he mean by that? Is it a joke to lighten up my mood? Mom and dad didn't die, I know they didn't. They might have changed cells, who knows? "Han, it isn't funny, you know. You can't say a joke that relates people's death, it's very cruel." I crossed by arms while leaning back on the chair. "Okay, I admit it's a little funny but don't do it again."

"Jageun-ah, it isn't a joke," Lu Han ruffled his hair in frustration. He frowned and looked me in the eye. "I wanted to tell you this but I couldn't find the right time. Your parents were sentenced to death for repeated robbery. I'm so sorry, Jageun-ah."

I couldn't felt my legs. It was shaking and I could felt my hairs were standing up from my arms. Is this the reason why mom and dad say 'goodbye'? No, this can't be true. Lu Han is joking, he must be. But, something just doesn't feel right. Mom doesn't say 'I love you' unless... unless she's going somewhere far? I could feel myself collapsing on the floor as tears started rolling down my cheek. Next thing I knew, it was pitch black.

 

 

"Jageun-ah! Jageun-ah!" a voice spoke beside my ears. It was faint but hearable. "Jageun-ah, please wake up! I can't live without you, wake up!" I slowly open my eyes and turned to the source of the voice. At first it was at blur but slowly it became clear. It was the same guy that stole my heart away. The blond hair, the dark chocolate eyes that always melt my heart, the pink soft lips that was already mine. I gave him a small smile and ruffled his hair.

"Yah, I'm not dead yet," I chuckled a little when he suddenly raised his head and looked at me with concern in his eyes. I must had fainted from the sudden news. I couldn't imagine mom and dad isn't here with me anymore. It feels... empty. "Is it true? Mom and dad-"

Lu Han stopped me from continuing my words. He grabbed my hands tightly and kissed it. "Shh, I'm here with you, okay? You are not alone." I cried when he said 'you are not alone' words to me. It means that somebody cared for me, somebody see me as an existent. He wiped my tears away and kissed me on the cheek. "I love you, Jageun-ssi. I always will, I promise."