O2장

Unimpeachable Fugitive: Rebirth [SEMI-HIATUS]

Where is he? Where did he go? I missed him. He promised me that he wouldn't leave me alone in this strange world. I've been waiting every day and night for him to come and see and tell me all the jokes that he knows. I wanted him to tell me that everything's okay. He suddenly vanished without telling me. I'm alone in this prison cell, I'm scared. I need him, I need Lu Han. It had been three years since I've been in this prison cell. I still have two more years to go then I could be free for the rest of my life.

Why is this happening to me? Did I do anything cruel in my past life? The person who left me in this world first was mom and dad. I thought it was great that Lu Han came along like he was sent from God to be the next person to look after me. But, why did he leave me too? Why? Is it because I brought shame to his family? Did I ruin his pride? Did he finally find a better girl for his bright future? Is he dead too? 

I cried and cried every day in my cell. I was excited every time the lady officer walked into the room. I expected her to say "Jageun-ah, you have a visitor." But she doesn't do that anymore. I felt like I'm going to be a lunatic if I don't see Lu Han. He was the reason I live, he was the reason I can breathe again. I wanted him to pick me up when I've been released from the prison. I wanted to marry him and have kids. I wanted to start a new happy family with him without committing any crimes. I wanted my kids to see that they have a proud lawyer father and a loving house-wife mother.

Lu Han, I missed you.

 

 

"Jageun-ssi?" one of the lady officers that I know very well, Mrs. Kang poked her head in. "Are you ready?" I nodded my head as I closed the locker door and picked my cream-coloured sling bag. I beamed at her and she hugged me with big arms. Her arms felt like my mom's as it is warm and comfortable. "Congratulations, big girl."

I sniffed a little of my tears up and nodded in her chest. Finally. I'm out of this prison after all these years. I'm now twenty-three years of age and the first thing I need to do is to find a job. "Thanks ahjumma. Thank you for all the care you gave me throughout my life in prison. I will never ever forget that, I promise."

"Aigoo," Mrs. Kang rubbed both side of my cheek. "You don't need to thank me. If you ever needed help from me again, I'll be gladly come to the rescue, Jageun-ah." I giggled as she said that. She patted my back and directed me out of the room. As the metal door open, I could see the bright skies. I could see birds chirping happily and trees rustling in the wind. There were many friends and families waiting for someone but I couldn't see Lu Han. He wasn't there to pick me up. I was actually expecting him to give me a warm hug and congratulate me.

I stood outside of the prison for hours and hours but Lu Han didn't appear. I clutched tightly on my sling bag and I felt like crying again. He isn't here; he isn't here to pick me up. Did he really throw me in this big strange world? Did he really leave me in the darkness all alone without family or friends? I sniffed up my tears and set my feet firmly on the ground.

No, I'm sure Lu Han is still alive. He might have some important stuffs coming up so he couldn't meet me for the past two years. The thought of Lu Han getting into a car accident and loses his memory scared me. That couldn't happen to him. I won't let that happen because we're destined to be together. I decided to start with the very first step: finding a job.

If I could find a job then I could earn big moneys and use that money to find Lu Han.

Finding job was not as easy as I thought. The moment the employers saw my name on my resume, they chased me out. Some even threw salts at me and some uses brooms to sweep me out. "Isn't that the girl who robbed Hana Bank?" I overheard one of the ahjumma questioned her friend behind my back after I got chased out from one of the neighbourhood's convenience store. "No, that was her parents! Tsk, tsk," the ahjumma's friend shook her head. "That's why the saying goes 'like mother like daughter'. The parents are the one who trained their kids to be like them."

I hold my fingers together tightly. I know my parents did wrong but they did not teach me to be like them. They robbed banks to feed me, not for entertainment. Did people not know anything? How can they publicly bad talk about other people like they are always the good one? "Ahjumma," I turned my head and stare at both of them. "Did you not commit any crimes before? Even little ones? I'm sure you do borrow some money from loan sharks, am I wrong?" I smiled a little as I saw both of the ahjumma gaped. I was right, after all. "And my parents did not teach me to be like them!"

"Aigoo, aigoo," one of the ahjumma finally answered in shocked. "Look at this girl. Do you not have any respect to your elders, huh?"

I couldn't stand that -like ahjumma anymore. She's so full of herself like she was the purest women in the world. I'm sure everyone did crimes in their lives before, even if it's just stealing people's pencil or killing insects. "Ahjumma, you are the one who talk bad about people's parents first. You are the one who did not show me any respect first!"

The ahjumma gave me a huge huffed before pulling my hair. I have to admit, it hurts a lot. She pulled my hair and start shaking me roughly. The other ahjumma tried to pull her friend away but the -like ahjumma is stronger and she managed to shrug her friend off within seconds. I screamed in pain and pushed the ahjumma's face with my free hands. The neighbourhood was now crowded with people and all of them just stood there and watch like it was some "Running Man" show going on.

"Won't the both of you stop?" a powerful women's voice spoke up. The ahjumma stopped pulling my hair and both of us turned to face a lady who wore a grand but fashionable dress. She was crossing her arms while looking at both of us sternly. She nodded at her two body guards and they started chasing the crowds away. "Ahjumma," the lady walked towards the -like ahjumma. She was really tall and when she stood in front of the ahjumma, the ahjumma looked just like a tiny little mouse. "I don't mean to disrespect you but I clearly saw that you're wrong here."

"W-What?" The -like ahjumma smile uncomfortably while eyeing the lady-in-red. "Yah, it was clearly shown that this girl was at wrong. How can a young girl not show respect to their elders, huh?"

The lady in red nodded her head while putting on a genuine smile. "I know, she's wrong too but when a dog barks, should you bark back?" I was stunned at her words. Did she just call me a dog? Oh no, she did not just called me that! She suddenly turned to face me and gave me a wink. Why is she giving me a wink? What does that mean? Did she mean... to play along? "No, you shouldn't, right? But, ahjumma, do you know the phrase 'it takes two to clap'? Well, you started that clap. Think about it, if you hadn't talk bad about her parents while she's just in front of you, nothing would had happened, am I right?"

The ahjumma immediately crossed her hands on her hips. "Yah, who do you think you are, huh? Why are you butting in other people's business? This has nothing to do with you so just off!"

"Who do you think I am?" the lady in red smirked. "I'm Victoria Song, Korea's top fashion designer... I think you've heard about me, no?" I could see that the ahjumma's eyes had gone wide and her jaws were dropping. I've never heard of Korea's top fashion designer, Victoria Song. She did look elegant and grand but... why is she helping me? "And I'm not butting in to other people's business. She's my little sister here, okay?"

"Oh my goodness, oh my goodness," the ahjumma looked like she was going to faint anytime. "You are the Victoria Song? The famous fashion designer who got married to America's top fashion designer, Nichkhun Buck? A-Are you the one that people referred as The Queen of Korea?"

Lady-in-red nodded her head proudly and pulled me closer to her. "And I think you forget to say something to this person here."

"Oh no no no," the ahjumma gave me the creepiest smile I've ever seen while holding my hands in hers. "Sorry for pulling your hair and talking bad about your parents. I didn't know you're the younger sister of Victoria Song, please forgive me." I looked at the lady-in-red in confusion but she just gave me a little nod.

"Uh, t-that's okay," I stuttered while looking at the ahjumma. I couldn't stand her smile, it looks real creepy. I don't think I can sleep tonight with that creepy smile flowing through my mind. "You're forgiven."

Victoria gave the ahjumma a stern look and both of them started to run for their lives. Why are they so scared of Victoria? She doesn’t seem like a bad person though. "You're Jageun, right? The girl who got into prison for five years because her parents had robbed Seoul's biggest bank, Hana Bank." I gave looked at her like she was some crazy girl. How did she know that?

"Oh, it was all over the news five years back. It was hit news, if you're asking." Victoria smiled. Why is she being so nice to me? Is it because of sympathy? Do I look that pitiful? "I find it interesting though. My, Hana Bank! How did your parents even did that?" I just gave her a tight smile while adjusting my sling bag. I couldn't find a job, I have nowhere to stay. How am I supposed to find Lu Han in this state? "Do you have a place to stay?" Victoria suddenly questioned me while I was deep in thought.

I shook my head in embarrassment and rubbed my feet on the floor.

"Great, then you can stay with me."

I looked at her with eyes as big as saucers. What? Korea's top fashion designer Victoria Song wanted a thief to stay with her? She must be mad if people know about this. Why is she doing this? First she helped me with the -like ahjumma. Now she wanted me to stay with her because I have no place to stay? "Why... Why are doing this to me? Why are you being so nice to me when nobody even cares about me? Why are you being so kind to me when everybody sees me as a thief?"

Victoria frowned sadly and sighed. "Because..." she heaved a sorrowful sighed while looking faraway. "You... you look just like my long lost sister, Jessica Song Ching."