O4장

Unimpeachable Fugitive: Rebirth [SEMI-HIATUS]

"Hello there," a man about six feet tall approached me. He wore a grey suit with a maroon-coloured neck tie and a smile that could blow every girl's heart away. Okay, I'm not fan girl-ing over a married man but he's just so damn gorgeous. He had these chubby cheeks and glossy chestnut-eyes that sparkle under the light. "Victoria Song's husband, Nichkhun Buck," he introduced as he raised his right arm. "It’s a pleasure to meet you."

"Honey," Victoria slightly glared at her husband. "I don't think she understand English. You should speak Korean to her, you know how to, right?" Nichkhun rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment as he saw his wife pouted. "Sorry honey, I didn't know."

I'm not trying to be rude here but hey, I'm not stupid. I understand English quite well which was not a surprise because I studied and learnt it from the Internet. Don't tell me you didn't know how advance the technology is today. I quickly used English to answer his greet, "Pleasure is mine," I swear Nichkhun and Victoria spun their head almost immediately. They put on a blank face as they both stared at me. "I'm a criminal here, call me Jageun".

It wasn't supposed to be a joke as I'm really a criminal here, a prisoner who had been released after spending five years in prison. To my great surprised, Nichkhun burst out a humorous laugh which left me dumbfounded. "That was a good one. Criminal. I like it. But hey, you didn't say you can speak English fluently." He finally spoke to me in Korean. It was a little weird when he spoke in Korean because it sounded like some Chinese guy trying to speak in Russian. "Don't take it hard, I don't mind, really."

"Honey, go take a shower first," Victoria helped Nichkhun to take off his blazer. "You smell. Jageun-ah," Victoria slightly turned her head while handing the blazer to one of the ahjumma. "You too, take a hot bath first. After that, let's have dinner together, hmm?"

"Together..." Nichkhun smiled as he walked up the stairs. "That sounds nice."

 

 

"Do you go to college? What course do you take?" Victoria asked as we're having dinner in the dining hall. Victoria had ordered her chef to cook homemade Korean food. There were kkakdugi, mandu, spinach, jang jorim, bean sprouts, galbi, kimchi, Korean seaweed soup and oh, daeji bulgogi, my favourite! All these dishes just made me greed for more.

“Honey, you should let Jageun eat first,” Nichkhun frowned, but in a friendly way. “You’ve been asking her too many questions.” I had to agree with what Nichkhun had just said. I think the only food that I’ve touched is two mandus. Hell, I’m starving. Victoria’s nice though. She kept asking me about my life, my life and my life.

Victoria pouted and nipped a few spinaches and placed it on top of my bowl of rice using chopsticks. I thanked her and proceed with my energy-making. “I’m just curious about her, okay? Why do you have to nag me?”

“Curiosity kills a cat, you know?” Nichkhun chuckled while strengthening his arms to nip a piece of galbi that was placed beside the kkakdugi. As he was going to nip the galbi, something made him flinched and slightly yelled. He rubbed the back of his right palm while looking at Victoria with confusion. "What is that for? Why did you hit my hand? I'm just trying to get a piece of galbi."

I chuckled as I saw Victoria ignored Nichkhun and ate the galbi herself. "Aish, I regret fetching you from the airport. I should've left you there instead of hearing you nagging me. Don't eat dinner if you want to bring up your 'wise words'. Yah," she glared at Nichkhun while pointing her chopsticks at him. "I know about that phrase but I'm not a cat. I won't get killed."

"Are you okay?" I asked Nichkhun after seeing him pouting with sad eyes. He really knows how to seek for sympathy with that pouting lips and sad eyes. "Here," I nipped a piece of galbi and placed it on top of his bowl of rice. He looked down at his bowl and gave me a wide smile after looking up at me. Okay, now he looked like he's going to cry any moment.

"Thank you Jageun-ah!" he said to me after eating the piece of galbi I gave. "You're the best!" I saw Victoria rolled her eyes at Nichkhun and proceed with what she was doing. I swear both of them are the sweetest couple I've ever seen. They don't fight or argue seriously but playfully. 

 

 

"What? Your dad wanted you to change your ambition? To what?" I heard Victoria speaking through the phone as I was sitting in the living hall. Nichkhun had gone to bed early because he said he had jetlag. I was chatting with Victoria when her phone suddenly rang and she excused herself to pick up the call. "A judge? Why? You've only one more year then you'll graduate, why all of the sudden?"

Victoria paced to and fro as she was focusing on the caller. She stopped pacing and frowned. "It's about her, wasn't it? Your first love, the one you've been waiting for, right?" She shook her head as the caller said something to her. "No, don't you lie to me. You know you're bad at lying when it comes to me. Hoobae-ah, listen to me, okay? Listen. She's dead, okay? She suicide and there's no reason for you to not listen to your parents."

"Okay, fine. Maybe I'm wrong; maybe your parents are wrong too, I don't know. But-" Victoria gave me a little nod as she saw me staring at her. I quickly turned away and pretend to read the newspaper. "What about your fiancée? I know this was an arranged marriage but you yourself agreed to it, right? She loves you a lot but do you love her? I know you don't because in that heart of yours, she's still alive, right? The only person you love is your first love."

"Forget about her!" I heard Victoria slightly screamed as the caller said another thing. I clenched on the newspaper tightly. Her scream was scary. "Your life was ruined all because of her, do you know that? She's already a dead person, why can't you move on'? Oh come 'on," Victoria rested herself on the couch while frowning. "Stop crying, okay? I'm sorry, I don't mean to say badly about her but this is the real world now. You need to move forward, not look backward." She nodded her head with a blank face, "Okay, let's meet up tomorrow. 3pm, sure."

Victoria ended the call and let out a long sigh of despair. I slowly draw down the newspaper that I was clenching a while ago and cautiously looked at her. "Girl problems?" I blurted out without me realizing it. Gosh, I always got interested in people's love problems. It made me feel like I'm playing cupid by helping others in their problematic relationship.

"Worst, much much worst," Victoria massaged her temples as she placed her hand phone on the table. She suddenly sprang her head and stared at me with widen eyes. "Were you listening?"

I quickly blushed and nodded my head. "Yeah, sort of yes and sort of no. I couldn't help it, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to eavesdrop on your conversation with your... hoobae?"

"Are you dumb?" Victoria snapped which made me even scare than before. I swear to God I was sweating and my palms were wet. Boy, Victoria could be scary when she's mad at something but when she's nice, she is nice. Now I regret it a lot for asking that question. That was very stupid and even stupider of me to blurt that question out. "Why are you apologizing? Oh no, it's okay. Just promise that'll whatever you heard, keep that to yourself, okay?"

I looked at her in confusion but she just gave me the smile like the first time we met. "R-Really? Are you sure?" She nodded her head repeatedly while patting my hands gently. "I-I promise... unnie." She gave me a wider smile when I mentioned "unnie" to her. "Uh, if I'm not bothering you... do you have some dramas that I could watch? I promise I won't interrupt you, I'll watch it in my room."

"Dramas?" Victoria's eyes started to twinkle as she heard the word coming out of my mouth. I slowly nodded my head because I was scared that she'll start screaming again. "I have, I have, I have! I have a whole stack of it in the cupboard. Dramas are my life; I couldn't live without it! Don't watch it alone, that's very mean. We should watch it together! What dramas do you want? Uh, "Boys Over Flowers", "My Love From Another Star", "My Lovable Girl" or "It's Alright That's Love"? Oo, oo, oo! How about "The Heirs"?"

I shook my head on each drama that she had mentioned. "Do you perhaps have uh, "Bride of The Century"? If you don't-"

"I HAVE!" Victoria jumped in front of me which made me winced a little back to the couch. "Lee Hong Ki is such a dreamy and romantic guy in that drama. Unlike that person," she glared up at the stairs which was meant for Nichkhun. "Anyways, call?" I nodded my head eagerly and the ahjumma quickly open the cupboard to search for the tape. "Oh my, I'm so excited! It's been awhile, Lee Hong Ki."

I smiled at the child-like Victoria who later hugged me from behind like I was her teddy bear. Yea, it's been awhile.