FIVE

Aurora
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

FIVE

 

It wasn't awkward after that.

 

Joonmyeon was good at that. He was just such a social and open person, he rarely felt awkward and he never made anyone feel awkward either. He just talked so much. He was also a great listener, he just had this fantastic habit of always looking genuinely interested in what you had to say, always engaged.


That's what I like about him, I decided. He was an easy person to talk to.

 

But it doesn't mean I still don't find him a giant pain in the sometimes. Well, most of the time.

 

We had frappes today. And he paid, again. If you don't know what frappes are, you are absolutely missing out. They're perfectly blended mixtures of ice, coffee, chocolate, and sugar topped with whipped cream. We needed a little bit of sugar after this morning.

 

And so we sat across from each other, up the sweet icy mixture with the classically green Starbuck straws as we stole short and shy peeks from one another.

 

I stared at him closely, for the first time in broad and clear daylight. I have always been too shy to look at him for more than a few seconds. But after his confession, I felt a little more empowered.

 

His face was stunningly clear, no blemishes. I bet he has tons of Korean skin products at home. My mom swears by them but I was always too lazy to do the whole skincare routine. I never had terrible skin anyways.

 

His lips were pink and pouty, definitely kissable. I felt the heat rush back to my face as I remembered our kiss the other night. The way his soft lips felt on mine...

 

Okay no, let's stop thinking about that.

 

His hair was swept upwards today. Usually it was down and fell across his forehead. Or covered with a snapback or beanie. But today it was up, exposing his forehead. His dark hair looked effortlessly tousled, perfectly messy. If that were even possible.

 

My eyes trailed upwards to his eyes, ones I always have trouble looking at for too long. They've always intimidated me. It was as if he could see into my soul. Okay, not really. But they were intimidating. His dark brown eyes were almost black and covered by thick long lashes.

 

He was really good looking I concluded. A perfect 9/10. He would be a 10/10 if he was a couple inches taller. But who am I to complain? I was still six inches shorter than he was. I up my drink as I thought self consciously about how my looks would add up compared too his.

 

I wasn't that bad looking. At least that was what everyone always told me. Except for my brother Mason. He always told me I was ugly. But that's what older brothers do, so I can't really count his opinion.

 

I ran my finger through my wavy hair. I know, it's weird that I have wavy hair. I'm Asian. But somehow I inherited wavy hair, which was definitely more curly when I was younger. It now settled down into pretty loose waves that people pay good money for in the salon. So I guess I'm pretty lucky. I've always had long hair, but I decided to cut it off before the school year started. It was an impulsive decision. I think I was really looking for change in my life. I had to start somewhere. It has grown out since then and rests a couple inches below my shoulders now. I've gotten nothing but compliments from it. I wonder what Joonmyeon would have to say about my long hair.

 

“Sora.”

 

“Huh?” I snapped out of my daze.

 

“You've been touching your hair and staring at me for the past couple minutes.” He chuckled, “I mean I know that I'm good looking but you don't have to stare. I'm not going anywhere.”

 

“I wasn't staring at you because you're handsome.” I mumbled. “I'm staring at you because I was wondering how someone so ugly can be so full of himself.”

 

“Ah, but you know what they say...confidence is y.” Joonmyeon winked.

 

I rolled my eyes but smiled regardless.

 

“So what were you doing staring at me staring at you?” I admitted shamelessly.

 

“Admiring your beauty.” He said bluntly.

 

And of course I blushed like a middle school student and told him we ought to be getting back to school.

 

“No, we have lunch after Econ. That means we have another,” he glanced at his watch, “Eighty minutes before our next class.”

 

“Yeah but..”

 

“What do you hate me that much?” He pouted, “So eager to get away? Can't you stand one lunch period without your friends? What are their names anyways?”

 

“Lena and Kai.”

 

“Have you known them for long?”

 

“Basically all my life. They're great people.”

 

“I think Kai is in one of my classes. He's friends with Baekhyun right? The only other Asian guy in our class.” He laughed, “I hang out with Baekhyun and his group of friends at lunch. They're nice.”

 

“Lena is basically in love with the guy.” My eyes widened and I clasped a hand over my mouth as I realized I basically let her secret slip out of my lips.

 

“But don't tell her I told you that, she's really sensitive about this.”

 

“Of course not.” He looked at me sincerely.

 

“But I'll let you in on a little secret since you told me one of hers.”

 

“What?”

 

“Baekhyun and his girlfriend are having some problems right now. Tell your friend she might have a chance before graduation if she acts on it.” Joonmyeon leaned back into his chair, bringing the straw back up to his lips, “Rumor has it, she cheated.”

 

“No way.” My mouth dropped in shock, “Really? But she seems so...anti-social. How could she cheat when she doesn't even talk to anyone but Baekhyun?”

 

Joonmyeon rolled his eyes, “You look at people from the surface, just like everyone else. You got to look deeper than that. I knew the moment I talked to her what kind of person she was. Yeah she has big bright eyes and acts like an ice princess who can't stand any other man other than Baekhyun but she is just a good liar. Her smiles are as fake as the act she puts up. I'm just glad someone caught her now and not later. But don't quote me on this, it's just a rumor.”

 

“Geez, I never analyze people like that.”

 

“It's how you don't get hurt.”

 

“So since you're so good at reading people...” I leaned forward and my lips. “What did you see in me?”

 

My eyes widened as he reached across the table, brushing his thumb over my lips. He brought his fingers back to his mouth and off the whipped cream he got from the corner of my mouth. His eyes never once left mine when he whispered, “Nothing I don't like.”

 

Okay, I blushed real bad at that.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter