Viva: Christmas Edition [3/4]

Viva

Yunho is actually still quite calm as he walks into Changmin's bedroom again.

While he had been relieved of his duties immediately, Yunho had committed to bringing Changmin to Kyuhyun's place tonight, and even if he got in trouble tonight, he wanted to keep his word.

Also, he wanted Changmin to have a good time.

Changmin has changed into the Christmas sweater that Yunho had bought for him, and looking slightly more cheerful than he did moments earlier. Changmin is also cuter than when he was wearing his suit from earlier.

"You look great," says Yunho with a smile, and Changmin ducks his head.

"Thank you," accepts Changmin graciously, although blushing a bit. "Why did you take so long? You're not even changed."

Yunho hesitates. He wonders whether he should just tell the Prince now, but he decides against it. Changmin deserves to have a good Christmas.

"I'm sorry," says Yunho, and not being able to think of a good enough explanation, decides to excuse himself instead. "Give me one moment to change."

When Changmin next sees Yunho, he can't help but laugh; he's wearing the same sweater that he gave to Changmin that morning, except it's green instead of red. Changmin stands.

"Yunho," giggles Changmin.

Yunho is clueless as he widens his eyes. "What?"

Changmin decides not to say anything. "Nothing," says Changmin, feeling so, so much better. "Shall we get going?"

"Yes," says Yunho with a smile. "Let's go."

"How… are we getting there?" asks Changmin nervously. He doesn't know how it will look if he went to Kyuhyun's little apartment in the limousine with his driver.

"I'm driving us," says Yunho.

"In your car?"

"Yes. You've never been in it before, have you?" chuckles Yunho. "It's quite humble."

"No," says Changmin, starting to get even more excited.

This year is a first for many things for Changmin.

 

 

Yunho doesn't use his car often.

He uses it sometimes to go shopping for things that aren't provided by the palace, which isn't much, and sometimes uses it to visit his parents. With that said, he hasn't done it for quite some time.

In any case, he has never thought he would drive Changmin in this car.

It is quite a short drive to Kyuhyun's house – Kyuhyun happens to live quite close to the palace – but apparently, it's enough time for Changmin to notice that Yunho is not himself. As Yunho drives, contemplating how exactly to tell Changmin that he'd just been fired.

"Yunho?" says Changmin quietly, turning his head towards Yunho.

Yunho startles. "Yes, Your Highn- I mean, Changmin."

Changmin looks a bit worried. "Yunho, what's wrong?"

"Nothing," says Yunho quickly. He then makes something up. "I've just never come this way before."

Changmin doesn't seem convinced, but he does accept Yunho's excuse and lets Yunho drive in silence for the rest of the short drive.

When they reach Kyuhyun's apartment, they're both a bit awkward.

Yunho and Changmin stand around for a little bit before Yunho finally reaches up and knocks.

 

 

"You made it!" shouts Kyuhyun, his smile wide. He then looks at Yunho and winks. "And you brought your date!"

Changmin blushes. "He's not my –"

"I know. I'm just joking." Kyuhyun extends his hand towards Yunho. "Hi. We've met."

"Yes, we have," said Yunho with a smile. "But never formally been introduced. I'm Yunho."

"Kyuhyun. Come on in, both of you. Welcome to my lair."

Changmin and Yunho are both doing their best to pretend not to be awkward.

"Hey! How's it going?" says one of the boys on the couch. He's tall and relaxed.

"That's Minho, and –"

"Hi!" says the other, grinning and waving. This boy is much shorter and more enthusiastic.

"This is Ryeowook."

"Nice to meet you. I'm Changmin," says Changmin, evidently nervous. Yunho puts a supportive hand on the Prince's waist. "And this is Yunho."

"Hey."

The colloquial greeting seems to surprise Changmin, because he widens his eyes and looks at his tutor in shock.

Or, ex-tutor.

Yunho gives a squeeze at Changmin's waist.

"All right, make yourselves at home," says Kyuhyun, looking amused for some reason. Yunho and Changmin make to sit down – the couch is occupied, so the only place left seems to be the floor. Before they sit, though, Kyuhyun stops them.

"Oh, actually, Changmin, Yunho, can I talk to you in the kitchen?"

Changmin steps inside. He looks around; he'd never been in a kitchen before, for as long as he can remember, anyway.

Kyuhyun clears his throat, and Changmin looks at Kyuhyun. "Yes, Kyuhyun."

"So… I haven't told them that you were the Prince," mutters Kyuhyun.

"I see. Thank you."

"So maybe it would be best if you don't make it obvious that you're… you know. Royalty."

"Right."

 "Like… I can't imagine that it'll be a fun night for you if you tell them you're Prince."

"I agree."

"Just saying."

"Yes, Kyuhyun."

 "Okay. Make yourselves at home, like I said."

They join the two boys, who are choosing what movie to watch. Changmin is quite the avid movie watcher, so he's probably seen all of these movies before; Yunho usually spent all of his waking hours studying up for Changmin, so Yunho's seen none of them.

"I want to watch a Christmas movie," pouts Ryeowook.

"Because you're lame," retorts Minho, and everyone except Ryeowook chuckles.

Changmin and Yunho don't immediately join in; Yunho reaches for the bowl of popcorn and offers some to Changmin, who carefully takes five kernels. That moment, Kyuhyun returns from the kitchens with a few beers and a bottle of wine.

"We were gonna have drinks," says Kyuhyun, eyeing Yunho.

Yunho doesn't respond and grabs a handful of popcorn for himself. He doesn't even notice that Kyuhyun is looking for his approval. It's not until Changmin elbows him on the side that he looks up at Kyuhyun. "What?"

"You don't mind?" asks Kyuhyun. "If we drink?"

"Why are you asking me?"

"Because you're… I don't know. The one that's most likely to disapprove."

Yunho laughs. "I was a college student once. Don't mind me. I'm just here to make sure you don't kill Changmin."

As soon as Yunho says the words, he realizes that he almost gave it away. Kyuhyun gives him a look, but thankfully, Minho and Ryeowook are still too busy arguing over what movie to watch. Kyuhyun opens the beer caps for each of them and hands one to Changmin.

Yunho's watching so intently as Changmin enthusiastically takes a sip from the bottle that he doesn't see that Kyuhyun's waving another beer bottle in his face.

"Yunho?" offers Kyuhyun.

Yunho shakes his head. "Thanks, but I'll be driving, so I shouldn't."

"Sure. It's there if you change your mind," says Kyuhyun easily, and he plops down on the floor next to Yunho.

Eventually, Ryeowook and Minho decide on a movie, and they start watching. As it starts, Yunho leans in towards Changmin and speaks under the volume of the movie. "Are you all right with sitting on the floor?"

Changmin glances at Yunho. "Yes, I'm fine."

Yunho smiles and looks back at the TV, satisfied.

A little while later, evidently, Ryeowook is quite tipsy, and he begins to narrate through the entire movie. He starts with what's playing, but then he veers off and tells stories about himself, all while the movie's still playing. He eventually puts his focus on Changmin.

"Has anyone ever told you, Changmin, that you look like the Prince?"

Changmin and Yunho freeze, and everyone looks at Changmin. Ryeowook is like a bulldozer though, and he keeps going.

"Like, when I heard your name, I was like, he has the same name as the prince, but you kinda look like him too."

Changmin laughs nervously and picks up his glass of wine. "I…I do get that sometimes."

"The Prince is like… way more handsome than you though," slurs Ryeowook. "He's like… oh my GodSo hot. I've had a crush on him since I was like… twelve."

Changmin downs his entire his glass of the cheap wine so as not to have to answer Ryeowook, and he thanks Yunho from the bottom of his heart for the ugly Christmas sweater.

Changmin pours himself another glass of wine and downs that too; and by that time, thankfully, Ryeowook has moved on to chattering about a new topic.

By the time the movie is finished, Changmin is out cold and is sleeping with his head on Yunho's shoulder.

"I'm going to go to the corner store for instant noodles or something," says Minho, getting up and stretching. "Who's coming?"

"I'll go," says, and Ryeowook also stands, "I wanna go for a walk too."

 "I'd better not leave him alone here," says Yunho, indicating the sleeping Prince.

They nod, and look at Kyuhyun. "You coming?"

"I'd better not leave them alone here," says Kyuhyun with a mischievous grin.

Yunho raises his eyebrows, almost asks Kyuhyun what he means, but he pushes Kyuhyun out of his mind and reaches into his pocket for his wallet, while being careful so Changmin's head doesn't roll off his shoulder. He pulls it out and takes a 50 dollar bill from his pocket and hands it to the boys. "My treat."

Both Minho and Ryeowook look surprised.

"Are you rich?" asks Minho suspiciously.

Yunho laughs. "I'm not rich, but I have been out of college and working for a number of years and I daresay I am better off than a bunch of college students in debt."

"Fair enough," says Ryeowook. "Okay. We'll be back soon."

As soon as they leave, it's like the world is finally peaceful and quiet.

Yunho tries to pat Changmin's cheek awake, but Yunho isn't successful. It's still quite early on in the night though – maybe if Kyuhyun is kind enough to let Changmin sleep it off in the apartment, they will be able to avoid the awkward interactions as Yunho carries the drunk Prince up to his room.

"Do you want tea or coffee or anything, Yunho?" asks Kyuhyun.

"A tea would actually be really nice," admits Yunho. "Thanks, Kyuhyun."

Kyuhyun smiles and goes into his kitchen. A little while later, he emerges with a steaming mug of tea for Yunho. Yunho takes it with thanks.

Kyuhyun sits down next to Yunho.

"So. D'you have a girlfriend?"

"No," says Yunho. "I don't lean that way."

Kyuhyun nods. "Right. Do you have a boyfriend?"

Yunho takes a sip of his tea.

"No."

"Didn't think so," says Kyuhyun quietly.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You like him, don't you?" asks Kyuhyun, pointing to Changmin with his chin.

Yunho is taken aback. He feels his whole face flush, and his heart beats faster. But he collects himself and does his best to answer calmly.

"Of course I like him. I wouldn't have served him for so long if I didn't."

"That's not what I mean and you know it."

Yunho shakes his head. "I don't, actually. I do like him," he says. "As his mentor, as his servant and as his friend."

"Honestly doesn't look like you're just his friend, or tutor, or whatever you are."

Yunho pulls back. "What are you trying to do?"

"Nothing. I was just making an observation."

"Such a useless observation," mutters Yunho.

Kyuhyun makes an amused face, then turns away from Yunho with the most irritating smile.

"What?" snaps Yunho.

"Nothing," sings Kyuhyun with a smirk.

Yunho can't stand him.

He reaches for the wine, pours himself a glass and gulps it down. It burns down his throat.

"Right, then," says Yunho. "I'm going to see if I can find His Highness something better to sleep on, and I –"

"Yunho…" sighs Kyuhyun. "I'm just saying. I think he likes you too."

Yunho's heart skips a beat. He struggles to find words for the next few seconds, and then he comes to his senses.

"It doesn't matter," snaps Yunho. "It doesn't matter who likes who. The fact is that Changmin is the Crown Prince, and he must marry a girl who can bear his child."

Kyuhyun hums. "How very old-fashioned of you."

"He's royalty. His entire being is based on tradition and culture. What else do you expect?" snaps Yunho. He shakes his head. "Anyway. I'm leaving the palace tomorrow, so."

"Okay. And when are you coming back?" asks Kyuhyun.

Yunho checks just to make sure that Changmin is still sleeping.

"I'm not," sighs Yunho. "I've just been fired after ten years of working with the Prince."

Kyuhyun falls silent.

"Oh," whispers Kyuhyun.

Yunho pours himself another glass of wine, and he knows that he's not going to be driving Changmin on the way back.