Viva: Christmas Edition [1/4]

Viva

Christmas is certainly coming, because the palace halls are decorated with wreathes of holly and poinsettias, and elaborately tied ribbons hang around the chandeliers. A huge Christmas tree has been put up in the lobby, and it took the servants all night to decorate it to the perfect glittery golds and shimmery silvers with just the right amount of reds.

Of course, Changmin hasn't seen the tree yet since the lobby is off-limits to him during the day to let the tourists through, but he does one day ask Yunho to take him there at night so he can look at it, and Yunho does.

It's beautiful and he wishes he could see it more often, and he tells Yunho that.

The next morning, Yunho brings Changmin a small Christmas tree of his very own to put in his bedroom.

"Yunho," says Changmin, touched, sitting up in bed just in time to see his butler and Yunho carrying the tree through the door.

Yunho smiles and bows a little. "I'll be waiting for you for your lessons, Your Highness," he says. "Enjoy your breakfast."

Changmin nods enthusiastically because Yunho is too good to him and Changmin is just barely trying to keep the awe out of his eyes.

He thinks he failed.

 

 

Changmin is in an incredibly good mood for his lessons with Yunho, and Yunho is, too, because of that, and there is not an inkling of worry in his mind until his phone dings in the middle of a lesson.

He looks up at Yunho. Yunho seems to be in a generous mood today, because he nods, allowing Changmin to look at the alert, albeit not without a lecture. "You should have had your phone turned off, Your Highness," says Yunho as Changmin reaches for his phone from his pocket. "Or at least had it on silent."

"I apologize, Mr. Jung," says Changmin, but he's dying of curiosity, because no one ever texts him except Yunho, and occasionally, his sisters.

When he turns on his phone, he almost jumps in his seat. It's Kyuhyun.

 

The 25th. 7PM. My apartment. Bring snacks. Drinks on me.

 

Changmin cannot believe his eyes.

Changmin wants to go, of course, and to be completely fair, he guesses he can.

But the 25th.

December 25th.

Changmin makes to text back, and looks up at Yunho just once. Yunho doesn't say anything further though, so Changmin assumes that Yunho is okay with it. Regardless, he tries to make it fast.

 

Kyuhyun, that's Christmas day.

 

Kyuhyun calls back. When the phone outright rings is when Yunho frowns and Changmin can't hide it anymore.

"My apologies, Mr. Jung. May I take the call?"

Yunho nods, but also sighs. He then proceeds to watch Changmin pointedly from behind his folded hands as Changmin awkwardly takes the call right at the table, since leaving the room to take the call isn't an option.

Really, Yunho should be the one to leave the room, but apparently Yunho isn't about to do that because, again, Yunho is watching pointedly from behind his folded hands.

Changmin clears his throat awkwardly before he answers.

He'll probably hear about that later. He's not supposed to clear his throat like that.

"Good afternoon."

"…Ew. Is that how you always answer the phone?"

Changmin hesitates. "Not always. It obviously depends on the time of day, too."

"Okay, sure," says Kyuhyun, clearly oblivious. "Just come."

"But it's Christmas Day," repeats Changmin.

"Okay, but what are you actually doing though."

Changmin hesitates. "I'm in the middle of my lessons."

There's a short pause.

"I meant on Christmas day."

"I have a parade to attend in the afternoon."

"But my thing's at night."

Changmin swallows and looks at Yunho, who seems to have understood what this is about. His expression softens a little.

"Kyuhyun… Christmas day is the only day of the year my father and I have dinner at the same table."

There's a short silence.

"Okay," says Kyuhyun finally. "Come late. Come whenever."

"Yes, Kyuhyun. I'll let you know."

Kyuhyun doesn't say anything for a moment, then he sighs. "Good luck, Changmin."

Changmin thinks it's probably not normal for people to wish someone luck when he's having dinner with his father, but he supposes he needs it.

"Thanks, Kyuhyun."

Kyuhyun hangs up just as Changmin is about to say goodbye, and Changmin is left hanging; but he lets out the breath and lowers his phone from his ear and puts it back in his pocket.

"You should say goodbye before hanging up the phone, Your Highness," says Yunho before Changmin can even say anything.

"Yes, Mr. Jung."

"Also you shouldn't clear your throat like that."

"Of course, Mr. Jung."

"And keep your phone on silent during lessons, Your Highness."

"Yes, Mr. Jung. I'm so sorry."

"And I think you should go to Mr. Cho's party on Christmas day, after the royal supper."

Changmin looks up at Yunho, barely even able to believe his ears.

But Yunho is smiling, and seeing that, Changmin smiles too.

 

 

But as Christmas day approaches, Changmin gets nervous.

Yunho gets nervous.

Yunho starts to watch and scrutinize as Changmin eats, speaks, sits, walks, at every second of every day, and he's giving Changmin so much domestic and international news that Changmin can barely keep up. He quizzes Changmin at random times throughout the day about history and politics, and Changmin thinks he might burst form the stress of it all.

But of course, he doesn't, because he's the Crown Prince. Also because he knows Yunho is just doing this to help.

Most of it is second nature to Changmin, but there's no telling what he might do wrong in front of the King. And both Yunho and Changmin just want the dinner to be a positive experience.

Yunho would not be joining Changmin at the royal table of course, but most likely, he will be allowed to stand on the side and watch under the pretense that he's taking the place of Changmin's butler, who has already requested a holiday for Christmas Day.

Changmin thinks he'll appreciate the support.

Changmin is so excited and nervous that he can't even sleep on Christmas Eve. He's leaning back against the headboard, trying to calm himself, until there's the familiar knock on the door, and Changmin sits up at lightning speed, and this time, it's not even because he's afraid that Yunho will yell at him.

"Please come in," manages Changmin, and the door opens carefully to reveal a smiling Yunho, who closes the door carefully behind him as soon as he steps inside. He's still wearing his suit, and he's also carrying a brown paper package in his arms.

Yunho doesn't dress down in front of Changmin, even though they've let go of a lot of their formalities with each other when they're alone. Changmin knows it's because Yunho has a lot to explain if someone – namely the King – walks in on Yunho talking to him in a bathrobe or pyjamas, but Changmin realizes that there's still a disconnect.

Of course there's a disconnect.

Changmin is the Crown Prince after all, and Yunho is, for all intents and purposes, Changmin's servant.

Changmin tries not to think about that, because the thought makes his heart clench. And his chest hurts, physically, because he hates the thought that Yunho might be doing this just because it's his job.

Changmin doesn't think so though, because Yunho sits down next to his bed and looks at him with these eyes, like he's so happy that Changmin is there for him to look at. And Changmin almost blushes.

Yunho just sits there without saying anything for a long time, and Changmin decides to break the silence.

"I'm nervous for tomorrow," says Changmin.

"What are you nervous about?"

"Making mistakes."

Yunho smiles. "Changmin, I have tutored you all these years and know that you wouldn't make mistakes. Besides, from what I've seen in the last week, I don't think you have to worry."

Changmin nods slowly as Yunho finally seems to remember the package in his arms.

"I have a gift for you," says Yunho. "I got it while you were away at the Farmers' Union event yesterday."

Changmin's eyes grow wide. "Yunho. You shouldn't have." Mostly because although Changmin knows Yunho makes a fair amount of money working here, Changmin certainly makes a lot more.

"It's my Christmas present. And it cost me next to nothing."

Changmin suddenly feels uncomfortable. "Yunho, I'm so sorry I didn't get the chance to go out and buy you anything. I –"

"I know that," says Yunho with a smile. "That's okay."

Changmin smiles up at his tutor as he finally accepts the package. "May I open it now?"

"Yes, please do, Changmin," says Yunho with a smile.

Changmin barely keeps himself from ripping apart the packaging with haste, being so excited for a gift from Yunho. But he manages to open the package carefully, starting with the taped edges and unfolding the wrapping paper without tearing it. When the package is finally open, Changmin pulls out the contents, and realizes that it's a wool sweater.

The sweater unfolds in Changmin's hands, and the pattern on it is clearly visible now; a garish green Christmas tree and some snowflakes on a red background.

Changmin stares at it. The emotions he feels right now are very, very complex. On one hand, he's so happy to get a present from Yunho, but this sweater is just so, so ugly.

"It's…" says Changmin, looking up at Yunho, "It's – Its –"

"Isn't it cute?" says Yunho, and his eyes are positively twinkling.

"Yes," manages Changmin, folding up the sweater again so he doesn't have to look at the design.

"I thought you could wear it to Mr. Cho's movie party tomorrow night. Because I know you don't own a lot of street clothes."

If it had been anyone else but Yunho, Changmin would have probably said no.

But it's Yunho.

"Thank you so much, Yunho," says Changmin, and as ugly as the sweater is, he finds that he's actually quite touched.

"My pleasure," says Yunho. He smiles. "And try not to worry about tomorrow. I've asked the kitchens to bake you something to bring to Mr. Cho's tomorrow night."

"Thank you."

"Have a good night," says Yunho, making to tuck Changmin into bed like always, but Changmin stops him.

"Yunho, I have a question," says Changmin.

"Yes, Changmin," says Yunho easily.

Changmin hesitates.

"Yunho, are… are you my friend?"

"Of course I am."

"Is this what friends are?" breathes Changmin.

Yunho frowns. "What do you mean?"

"I mean… Kyuhyun and I are friends too."

"Right."

"But… how I feel about Kyuhyun is… not the same as how I feel about you."

Yunho's breath hitches.

"Our relationship is very different from you and Mr. Cho's."

"Right," whispers Changmin. "Yes… I agree."

"You knew him for one day. I've seen you every day for the past ten years, Changmin."

"I… yes. It's just…"

Yunho looks at Changmin, his heart nearly beating out of his chest.

"I don't… I don't know if I'd feel this way if I saw Kyuhyun every day for the next ten years."

Yunho looks at his lap.

This is not acceptable. Yunho is Changmin's tutor and servant. With a stretch, a friend.

Nothing more.

It can't be anything more.

"Again, Your Highness –" Yunho ignores the wince on Changmin's face at the use of the title – "Our relationship is very different from you and Kyuhyun's."

"Of course, Mr. Jung," manages Changmin. He's blushing hard now. "Right."

Yunho tucks Changmin into bed, and stands. "Will you be alright?"

"Yes," says Changmin with a nod.

But Changmin doesn't sleep a single wink.

 

 

Changmin barely even remembers how the parade goes the next day, because he's so nervous for the dinner, and also tired from lack of sleep.

Changmin takes a deep breath before entering the dining hall. His father isn't there yet, but Changmin is still nervous as Yunho smiles and pats down the front of Changmin's jackets free of wrinkles.

"You're going to be just fine," whispers Yunho in encouragement. "Remember, he's your father before anything else. You don't have to impress him for anything."

"My goal is not to impress," mutters Changmin, only a couple steps away from shaking. "It's just to not disappoint."

"And you won't," says Yunho. He leads the way into the dining hall, which is almost sickeningly meticulously decorated. He pulls out Changmin's chair for him so he can sit down. Changmin's the first to have arrived, which, Changmin guesses, is much better than arriving after his father. Changmin sits carefully, not too comfortably because he'll have to stand to greet his parents, and sits up, back straight and hands folded on his lap.

Soon, his sisters appear in the dining hall together, and Yunho steps away from Changmin now.

"Merry Christmas, Changmin!" exclaims Sooyeon, the older princess. Changmin is older than both of his sisters, and he certainly acts it as Changmin smiles to greet his sisters.

"Merry Christmas," he answers. He stands from his chair. "You both look great."

"It's been a while since we've had dinner together, hasn't it?" says Jiyeon, the younger. Changmin smiles and helps her with her chair. "Thank you."

Jiyeon is the youngest, but also the most obedient; she just started her degree in history, but unlike Changmin, she seems to enjoy it. The manners and carriage comes naturally to her, and Yunho often thinks that had Jiyeon been the oldest, the King would have given her the throne, regardless of her gender. But unfortunately, Jiyeon is the youngest and also female; they could never justify giving the throne to her when Changmin is there.

Yunho thinks it's unfair, but nothing in the Royal Family is fair.

Changmin finishes helping with Jiyeon's chair and turns to Sooyeon to help her with hers – but Sooyeon has already sat down on her own and now she's staring Changmin down.

Yunho doesn't see Princess Sooyeon a lot, but he does hear quite a bit about her from her tutor. She's supposed to be the most rebellious and free-minded of the three siblings, and after Changmin's trip out of the palace, her tutor was nervously keeping an extra close eye on her to make sure she didn't do the same.

But most likely, in Yunho's opinion, she won't; she has much more freedom than Changmin does. In fact, she's studying physics and attends her lectures at the University quite often. She's just about finished with her degree, and she'll be the first person in Royal Family to have a physics degree.

Yunho thinks that's pretty cool.

As Yunho watches from the side of the room, Sooyeon leans in towards Changmin across the table.

"You still haven't told us about what you did on your… escapade."

Changmin blushes bright red. "Please, let's not talk about it."

Sooyeon raises her eyebrows and glances at Yunho, who's the only other person in the room. Yunho drops his gaze immediately to let her know that he does not hear. Or, to let her know that he will pretend that he didn't hear. Sooyeon gets the idea.

"I'm going to go on one too. I just need ideas."

Yunho guesses he was wrong about Sooyeon not needing to go on an escapade.

"Sooyeon, no."

"You did it!" retorts Sooyeon. "I want to go out too, I –"

"Please, you go out all the time," begs Changmin. "Father will kill me."

Sooyeon rolls her eyes. "No, he won't. He'll kill me, not you."

"I like having two sisters," says Changmin, shaking his head. "And he'll think it's my fault for planting ideas in you."

Sooyeon hums. "I guess that wouldn't be wrong."

Changmin sighs. "Sooyeon, just –"

Yunho's head snaps up, and not at Changmin's conversation. He hears a number of footsteps from the hall that could only belong to the King and Queen. Changmin hasn't noticed yet, neither have the Princesses, and when the footsteps approach closer, Yunho can't just watch. He can't let them start the dinner on the wrong foot.

"Your Highness," hisses Yunho to Changmin in warning, and Changmin stops in the middle of his speech and freezes.

And just as the door opens, Changmin and the princesses stop talking and sit up straight in their chairs. By the time the King and Queen enter the hall, the three children are standing to greet them.

They bow in unison, and so does Yunho, a bit longer than the prince and princesses. The Queen smiles a bit as she takes her place next to the King at the table, and the children get seated as well.

Yunho keeps his head down and watches nervously.

While Changmin has a better relationship with the Queen than with the King, Yunho knows that in the end, the Queen will always stand by the King.

The family exchange words of greeting, and the King goes through the very tedious and unnecessary process of calling the servants so that they would start serving the 12-course meal.

Yunho carefully watches Changmin out of the corner of his eyes, but really, Yunho needn't have worried.

Changmin has been doing this his entire life after all, and as much as he might not like it, it's almost already a part of him. He can't mess up because in reality, it had never been acceptable for Changmin to act another way than exceedingly properly.

None of the children are criticized until the fourth course, when Changmin's eyes meet Yunho's for the first time since the meal began. Yunho gives him an encouraging smile, but to Yunho's confusion, Changmin frowns.

And to Yunho's horror, Changmin dabs at his mouth with his napkin and looks straight at his father. "Mr. Jung stayed here for me this Christmas instead of going back home to his family these holidays."

The King takes a glance at Yunho standing at the door still with his head bowed, then turns back to Changmin. "Yes," he says. "I appreciate his dedication."

Changmin looks up at his father, and Yunho has this sinking feeling in his stomach. "It would have been nice for him to join this table instead of just standing there."

Yunho's mouth drops open for a split second, but he quickly closes it and trains his eyes downward again as the King shoots a sharp look in his direction.

"I will make sure he gets a nice dinner tonight."

"He's going out with me after this. He won't have time."

The King's eyes flash, and Yunho does not understand what exactly Changmin expected from this.

"Mr. Jung," says the King suddenly.

Yunho tenses, though he doesn't look up. "Yes, Your Majesty."

"You may be excused. Merry Christmas."

Yunho is almost relieved, and he just prays that Changmin would please behave before bowing respectfully. He turns around and leaves the room, and as he closes the door carefully, he shoots one last look at Changmin, pleading silently for the prince to behave. Changmin doesn't look at him though, and Yunho knows why; Changmin's not committing to anything.

Yunho closes the door and stands outside until a servant, Xiumin, walks by, ready to take away the plates.

"Sir?" says the servant curiously, then an amused smile crosses his face. "Mr. Jung, did you get kicked out of there?"

"I guess so," says Yunho, a bit embarrassed.

Xiumin laughs. "Mr. Jung, you need to behave."

Yunho sighs sadly. "I did. It's the Prince who can't."

The servant smiles again. "I have no doubt. Why don't you go up? I'll let you know when they are in their last course and then you can come down and the Prince."

Yunho shakes his head. "I'd rather not. I have an ominous feeling that the dinner may end early."

"Then I'll lay out a table for you in the next room and you can eat while you wait. It is Christmas after all, and you deserve a break too."

"So do you, Xiumin," says Yunho apologetically.

Xiumin smiles. "I get the next two weeks off in exchange for working tonight, Mr. Jung. Don't worry about me. I'll bring you some food soon."

"Thank you," says Yunho genuinely, and only now does he realize how hungry he is.

And he prays, and he prays and he prays that Changmin will behave for the rest of the dinner.

Somehow, though, Yunho isn't all that optimistic.