Syncopation

Music Written For Two

      It had been over a week since Jimin and Yoongi had shared their feelings for each other. However, nothing had changed in their relationship. How could they be to blame though, both had classes everyday at different times and when they were at the dorm together, they were both busy composing or memorizing scores for classes. Yoongi was especially busy since he had started his senior year. But as the week went by and neither of them had even spoken to each other, Yoongi started to get increasingly distressed. He wondered if Jimin really didn't like him and he just said that in the given situation. Yoongi bit his nails while reading the score he had just finished. It took him almost all night to write, and traces of purple started to linger under his fatigue-stricken eyes. He thought his compostion was pitiful given he spent all night on it, and he crumpled it up in a fit of frustration. 

"Why can't I do anything right!" Yoongi threw the mangled paper as hard as he could across the room.

    Yoongi had no idea Jimin was home at that time, he was usually at night classes on Tuesdays. So when the younger came into his room with wide eyes, Yoongi matched his expression. Jimin stood still at the door staring at his elder while Yoongi stared back. Neither of them moved for  few long moments before Jimin hesitantly stepped forward.

"Hyu-"

"Don't. Don't come in Jimin. Aren't you supposed to be in class right now anyways?" Jimin shrunk back towards the door with his head down.

"I- My proffesor cancelled our class today so we could all work on our projects." Jimin was still looking at the floor, and the cloud of frustration in front of Yoongi's eyes cleared when he noticed Jimin's hurt expression. 

     Yoongi mentally punched himself as he sighed and held his face in his hands.

"Listen, Jimin, I'm sorry I'm just-"

"No, it's okay hyung I understand", Jimin started to close the door with the same hurt expression, but Yoongi wouldn't let him go. It had been over a week since they had even faced each other and Yoongi felt that if he let Jimin go like this, there would be no chance for them to have any sort of relationship. He put a hand on Jimin's turned shoulder and twisted him around until they were facing each other. The two boys were practically the same height, despite their age difference, so Yoongi could look him directly in the eyes. At this point he contemplated what he should do, so he just settled for words.

"Jimin look, I really am sorry it's just been a long week. Classes aren't easy and we haven't even looked at each other since that happened. Come in, we need to talk."

     Jimin nodded his head slightly and let out a breath he seemed to be holding while Yoongi was talking, but released when the older let his hand fall from his shoulder. He cautiously followed Yoongi into his room where he sat on the older's bed and Yoongi sat in his chair at his desk, facing Jimin. Again, there was a long break of silence where they both simply looked at each other, trying to organize their thoughts. This time Yoongi was the one to start the conversation. He wasn't good at beating around the bush so he decided to be straight forward with Jimin, deciding it would save them time and confusion. 

"Jimin I need to know why you did that last week."

"Did what-"

"Oh come on Jimin, stop playing dumb we were both there. You said you liked me but you haven't even approached me once in the past week"

     Jimin started to twirl his thumbs nervously while looking at the ground.

"Well... I do like you, but I didn't know how to face you after that. It's not like I have much experience in this department", He still avoided his eyes from Yoongi's locked gaze. 

"What do you mean, you're always surrounded by people at school?"

"That doesn't mean I've ever liked any of them!" Jimin snapped, and ducked his head again, ashamed of his confession.

     Yoongi was utterly confused. Jimin walked around school surrounded by girls and boys alike. He always acted so charasmatically, but now he looked like a helpless animal left in the rain. He never liked them? What was that supposed to mean? Like them as friends or like them, like them. But Jimin had plently of girlfriends in the past and even had a girlfriend earlier in his freshman year of college? Yoongi's head started to spin from thoughts and he hung his head. Jimin saw this gesture and felt sorry towards the elder for not making his feelings clear.

"Hyung... Nothing I did was- was an accident. I-I do like you b-" Jimin kept stumbling on his words and twirling his thumbs as Yoongi raised his head to gaze at him again, surprised by the younger's confession. Yoongi scooted his chair so he was directly facing Jimin, their knees touching and faces only inches apart.

      Both of their breathing became syncopated, just as it had the week before. Neither of them moved, both determined to unscramble their emotions. Yoongi looked Jimin in the eyes and for the first time the entire night, Jimin stared right back. 

     Just like last week, Jimin looked exhausted- the purple lines under his eyes matching Yoongi's. Yoongi wondered if he had even eaten today. He sighed and took Jimin's hand while standing. Jimin stood as well, a confused look spread on his face.

"You haven't eaten today have you? You've been working on your assignment all day I can tell," after all, Yoongi had known Jimin since they were in middle school and before he let his feelings get in the way, they were still best friends. 

    Yoongi led Jimin to the kitchen and sat him down in one of the chairs at their small table. Yoongi took a pan out and started to chop peppers and whip a few eggs together. Jimin's stomach softly rumbled as Yoongi brought him the omelet he cooked. Yoongi sat down in front of Jimin and put a fork in his hand.

"Eat," that's all he had to say for Jimin to start digging into the food in front of him. Yoongi sat his chin in his hand and smiled as he watched Jimin eat. Even though Jimin was in college, he still seemed to be the dense child he knew since middle school. 

"Jimin... you have ketchup on your face," Jimin stopped eating for a moment before he hastily wiped his mouth with the back of his hand and resumed eating again. Yoongi unconsciously leaned over the table and wiped away what Jimin hadn't. Jimin looked at him and closed his mouth from the food it was about to recieve. The younger set his fork down and the air became awkward between them yet again. 

"Hyung... what are we?"

     Yoongi nearly choked at the younger's question, but instead took advantage of the situation. Yoongi showed yet another emotion he had never shown to anyone before. After all, why let an opportunity like this slide past? He swallowed his pride before looking at Jimin, eyes half lidded. 

"Depends. What do you want us to be?" Yoongi the finger that had the ketchup from Jimin's face on it and inwardly cursed his cheesiness. 

     Jimin had never seen this side of the older boy before. Jimin always came off as the charasmatic one in public while Yoongi just seemed quiet. What had happened to Yoongi all the sudden for him to act like this? Never once since he had met Yoongi in middle school had Jimin ever seen Yoongi act like this in front of anyone. Regardless, he didn't really mind it. Yoongi leaned forward again and Jimin automatically closed his eyes. 

     The second time they kissed was nothing like the first. Their first kiss was full of caution and uneasiness, but not this time. Surely, Yoongi was still nervous and wondered if he was crossing the line since their relationship was still unclear, but he didn't show a hint of this as he kissed Jimin. This time their kiss had more purpose- more passion. Yoongi still wasn't quite sure what their relationship was, but he thought he had a pretty good idea now.