Music Written For Two

Music Written For Two

       Yoongi always seemed to be misunderstood. Not a cliche high school outcast, yet his emotions always seemed to be misinterpreted, even by his closest friends. Yoongi's personality was actually confusing to most people. Sometimes he seemed laid-back and casual, while other times he came across as irritable. Frankly, it even confused him every once and a while. There were a few emotions he never showed to the public. They were special emotions saved for a special person- Park Jimin. Despite Jimin being younger than him, he always felt inferior in his presence. His good looks and smooth-pitched voice made him almost angry at his own gummy smile and thin features. Yoongi never thought he wasn't good-looking, but compared to Park Jimin, he definitely felt he had some ground to make up. 

      Of course, Jimin had no clue about the older's feelings for him, he was suprisingly dense. Yoongi always cursed Jimin's density since he could never take a hint sent in his direction. Probably because they had been friends since middle school. They had been friends for so long that things like holding hands and throwing an arm around the other's shoulders was completely normal. But every time Jimin did this, it made Yoongi's ears turn an embarrassing crimson, yet Jimin never noticed. Jimin never noticed his feelings. Not at all during middle school, or high school, or even during Yoongi's first years of college. Jimin was popular to girls- why wouldn't he be, with his chiseled features. Still, it hurt Yoongi every time he saw Jimin with another new girlfriend. He never showed his hurt though, not yet. It wasn't until Yoongi was almost a senior in college and Jimin was a freshman that Yoongi finally caved to his own emotions.

Yoongi was majouring in music production while Jimin was studying music theory. They both shared a passion for music and Yoongi always felt the most comfortable composing songs that he may or may not have purposely written to perfectly fit with Jimin's effortless tenor voice. Yoongi specialized in writing rap lyrics though. Not many people besides Jimin knew about Yoongi's talent in rap. He was working on one particular composition late at night when Jimin plopped down on Yoongi's bed next to his desk.

     "Hyung I can't get the rythym in these measures right. The time signature is written in ten-eight but I can't get the quarter notes on time." 

      Yoongi took the paper from Jimin and hit him on the forehead, "You call youself a music theory majour? You are supposed to be counting eigth notes, not quarter notes!" 

     Jimin looked at Yoongi, bewildered, and took the compostion back from his hands. He let out an exasperated sigh and cradled his head. Yoongi gazed at Jimin, finally noticing how his shoulders started to quiver. Yoongi rushed to the younger's side and held his shoulder with one hand and lifted his chin with the other. 

     "Hey, Jimin! What's wrong? I'm sorry for what I said-"

     "What am I even doing studying music? Why am in college at all?" Jimin cried harder; Yoongi's heart broke a little bit more.

    "Park Jimin you know just as well as everyone else as to why you're here. You have talent kid, it's just late and you're tired from staring at music scores all day. Remember you're human too Jimin, you mess up too." Of course Yoongi didn't belive this- everything Jimin did was perfectly excecuted in his eyes. He was always writing and studying scores and never handed in an assignment unless Yoongi had read over it at least three times. He always stayed up late and barely ate, but Yoongi couldn't pester him because he did the same things. They both could get so immersed in their compositions that they wouldn't move for hours on end. Yoongi mentally cursed himself for not taking better care of Jimin.

    Jimin's breath came in hiccups, but his tears had stopped and were now dried streaks on his weathered face. Now that Yoongi looked at him up close, Jimin really didn't look well. He became much thinner after entering college and his eyes had even started to sink in from the sleep deprivation. Now it was Yoongi's turn to cry. At first he just simply his head and turned away so Jimin wouldn't see his elder like this. It was inevitable though.

     "...Hyung? W-what's wrong? Did I-"

     Yoongi didn't let Jimin finish his sentence before he wrapped his arms tightly around the younger's neck. He stuffed his face in between the crook of his neck. He inhaled deeply and took in Jimin's scent. He smelled like cheep laundry detergent and instant ramen. But to Yoongi this seemed the most like home; Jimin radiated a heat that Yoongi wanted to wrap himself in eternally. There was a long period where neither of them made a sound. Jimin finally seperated himself from Yoongi, holding his shoulders in a sturdy grip. Jimin searched the elder's face for an explination to his tears, but found none. Yoongi was the first to speak up, in a hused voice that Jimin had to lean in to hear. 

     "Park Jimin I should have taken better care of you, what kind of friend am I to let this happen."

     Jimin was dumbfounded. Yoongi was crying? Because of him? Why? Jimin always saw Yoongi as the cool and collected hyung, who had an immesurable talent for producing music. Yoongi slowly lifted his head and stared warily into the younger's eyes. Jimin gazed back intently, severly concentrated on Yoongi's face. 

     "Jimin... Jimin I-"

      "Hyung I like you. A lot."

     Yoongi sat there, too surprised to even blink. The words churned through his mind several times before they started to register. Jimin... likes me? Jimin took Yoongi's face into his hands and gently pressed his forehead onto the other's. The only sound in the room was the rythym of their pounding hearts working in complete harmony with one another. One-two, two-two, three-two- the rythym kept playing as Jimin leaned into the gap between them and hovered his lips over Yoongi's. He was so painfully close that he didn't even seem real to Yoongi. Jimin finally pressed his lips onto Yoongi's and the elder let out a sigh in the back of his throat. 

     Yoongi knew Jimin since middle school. Jimin knew all of Yoongi's confusing emotions, or at least he thought he did. It wasn't until now though, that Jimin finally discovered all of Yoongi's misinterpreted feelings. Honestly, Jimin had a crush on Yoongi ever sine they met in middle school, but he acted dense as to not get his hopes up. He didn't want to ruin their friendship but here he was, kissing his best friend since middle school. 

     The kiss didn't last long and it wasn't fierce. It wasn't filled with passion or lust, just need. The need after years of want. That blended together perfectly into a new composition that neither Yoongi nor Jimin had ever experienced.