Three

Brother's Heart

“Thanks for helping, Soojung.”

 

 

The girl flashes an amused smile on him. “As always, Jongin.”

 

“She doesn’t know a thing, right?” Jongin says as he closes the locker in front of him, letting Soojung to lock it afterwards. “Has she said something?”

 

Thinking for a while, the pretty girl shook her head as they start to walk away. The corridor is not crowded yet since it’s still the early minutes of recess time. Jongin and Soojung always find the perfect timing for them to get out and sneak up to Hwangmi’s locker to put the occasional gift from Jongdae. Tilting her head slightly, Soojung tries to remember if her best friend had said a thing or two about the mysterious guy who always succeed to put a thing in her locker. Her best friend knows about the guy, but she doesn’t know who they guy really is. “She hasn’t, as what I remember. Well she had mentioned about Jongdae sunbae, but she was talking about how happy she is in the pop vocal team. Jongdae sunbae is one of the instructors in the team, right?”

 

Jongin nods. “Along with Baekhyun hyung and Luhan sunbae.”

 

“You know, Luhan sunbae has been trying to get close with her openly.” Soojung giggled.

 

“Really?” Jongin frowns. “And what did she say about it?”

 

“She said that she doesn’t want to be with him because he’s prettier than her.” Soojung laughs for a while. “She was just joking, though. She said she doesn’t want to date popular guys like Luhan sunbae.”

 

“Huh? But why?”

 

Soojung shrugs for that. “She said it would be like a sappy romance stories like Boys Before Flowers.”

 

“But she’s also popular herself.”

 

“I think it’s just a smooth way of saying that she’s not planning on seeing Luhan sunbae in a special way, or at least, like how he sees her.” Soojung smiles. “Hwangmi tends to speak before she thinks but she’s really considerate when it comes to some certain things.”

 

Jongin nods along with the words. It’s like he’s getting to know the said girl better. Soojung always gives him little facts about her, and he will pass it to his brother.

 

“Can I say something, Jongin?” Soojung says when they halt their steps in front of a classroom. It’s Soojung’s next class.

 

“Sure.” Jongin answers curiously. He catches some eyes are staring at them. He mentally sighs. Rumors of him dating with Soojung will just resurface again every day. Not that he gives a damn, though.

 

Soojung seems like having a difficult time in deciding whether to say what she wanted to say or leave it. But then she exhales. “I know I have no right in meddling with your business, and I know I said I just wanted to help, but I want to say that, um,” Soojung bites her bottom lip, “just, be careful, okay?”

 

Jongin could practically senses that Soojung is trying to deliver an important message behind those words, but he just can’t pinpoint what is exactly she’s trying to say. “What do you mean?”

 

“Just,” Soojung pauses a bit, “be careful. We wouldn’t want things to end in a totally different way, right? And I’m suggesting you to tell Jongdae sunbae that he should make a move before he’s too late.”

 

“Are you talking about Luhan sunbae?”

 

“Maybe. Maybe not.”

 

“Soojung, don’t play Victoria Grayson with me.”

 

“Fine, Nolan Ross,” Soojung chuckles when Jongin glares at her, “okay okay, Jack Porter. Well, you know your brother is not the only one who’s crushing on her. And besides, have you ever considered about her feelings? Have you ever thought that maybe she has someone else in her heart?”

 

Soojung’s words leave him in zombie mode all the way to his class.

 

===

 

“So she was saying that I should start making a move?” Jongdae asks, eyes on the street in front of them.

 

“Yeah.” Jongin mumbles.

 

“And that Chinese Monroe, how could I didn’t notice that he has been trying to seduce Hwangmi?” Jongdae hisses. “No, I’m not going to lose on him even if he’s a senior.”

 

“Uh, hello? At least he has some balls to make a move on her.”

 

“You’re being very unsupportive right now.”

 

Jongin had recited his conversation with Soojung this morning to Jongdae on their way home. Although he put the controversial part away to keep the talk friendly without Jongdae freaking out behind the steer and risks both of their lives. Jongin still wants to be a dancer and marry a beautiful girl, so he prefers not to put his own life on the thin line.

 

Have you ever thought that maybe she has someone else in her heart?

 

“Yah, Jongin, are you sleeping?”

 

Jongin immediately turns his head on his brother. “I’m sorry, what?”

 

“I was asking you what I should do.” Jongdae rolls his eyes.

 

“Oh.” Jongin blinks.

 

“Is it okay if I take her to Golden Flower this Saturday?”

 

Jongin thinks about the Chinese restaurant Jongdae mentioned. “Hm, it’s great, I think.” he says. Jongdae needs a place with romantic vibe like that if he wants to court the girl. Nice choice.

 

“Then Golden Flower this Saturday.” Jongdae grins widely.

 

“Are you even sure she’s going to say yes?”

 

“You’re being very unsupportive as always, brother.”

 

===

 

The pattern Jongin had found when it comes to Friday after school is that almost everyone around him will talk about their plans for the weekend; some plans are actually fun, some plans are boring, and some others are a little bit delusional. Getting wasted ‘till they can’t even remember their name is a rather plainly stupid plan.

 

He himself never really gets what they mean with ‘Thank God It’s Friday’ because to him everyday is just the same. Sun rises in the morning, stays longer in the afternoon, creeping its way out in the evening and finally disappeared by night, only to rise again and do the same routine. The difference is just what he’d do in the day. It just happens that people have plenty of time to have fun in weekend. What if the weekend starts from Monday? ‘Thank God It’s Monday’ then?

 

But today, which is also Friday, he find himself thinking about Jongdae’s attempt in asking his crush to go out on a dinner with him. He wishes that Lee Hwangmi will say yes because seriously, his brother is a nice guy and he had seen how Jongdae fell in love with her. And he could tell that Jongdae is serious in liking this girl.

 

On the other side, he just wishes she’d say yes so he won’t be sneaking things to her locker anymore like a creeper.

 

“Jongin.” he hears Kyungsoo’s voice. He found the petite man is standing next to him before their lockers. “Do you by any chance know Park Sunyoung?”

 

Jongin tilts his head, thinking. “I think Jongdae hyung mentioned about her once. She’s in the pop vocal club.” he states innocently before his mind starts put things together and then a mischievous smirk planted on his lips. “Oh, someone is finally having a crush, huh?”

 

“Shut up.” Kyungsoo hisses absentmindedly. But the blooming faint pinkish color on his cheeks gives everything out.

 

“Whoa, Soo, you’re really crushing on someone?”

 

“No, no,” Kyungsoo waves his hand, “well, not entirely right.”

 

“Then what happened?”

 

“She… well, let’s just say that she confessed to me this morning.” Kyungsoo says quietly, scratching the back of his neck.

 

Jongin gasped. “Whoa, seriously? She’s like,” Jongin faked counting with his fingers, “the thirteenth girl that confessed to you. My, my, you, choir boy, are really something.”

 

“Should I take that as an offense?”

 

“What did you tell her??”

 

“Well, I told her that I’m thankful of her feelings.”

 

Jongin raises an eyebrow. “… and?”

 

“And what?”

 

“You didn’t say anything more after that?”

 

“… I didn’t.”

 

“And what did she say after that?”

 

“She bowed at me and left.”

 

Jongin resists the urge to slap his palm over his forehead. “Why am I surrounded by a bunch of stupid losers?” he muttered darkly.

 

“I didn’t know what was I supposed to do, okay?” Kyungsoo hisses louder this time. “Everytime a girl confessed to me I ing don’t know what to do. If I do this, they will get it wrong. If I do that, they will think I’m being mean. I don’t know how to deal with them!”

 

“Wait,” Jongin suddenly turns at him, “wait, something’s weird. If there were so many girls confessed to you, then this Park Sunyoung shouldn’t have been a problem to you. But you seem so troubled about her.”

 

Kyungsoo gulps.

 

“You like her too, huh?”

 

“Maybe yes. Maybe not really. Maybe not that much.”

 

“You really like her??”

 

“He really likes who?”

 

“,” Kyungsoo shrieks as he felt hot breath puffing against the back of his nape, “what the hell –“ he turns around only to find Baekhyun grinning like a possessed man, “Byun Baekhyun!!”

 

“Hey, I’m still your senior by a year, where’s your respect??” Baekhyun scolds only to laugh hysterically seconds later. “You should’ve seen your face, oh my, you were like Daniel Radcliffe seeing Voldemort behind him!!”

 

Jongin whispers at Kyungsoo. “I don’t see the relevance.”

 

“Shut up kid.” Baekhyun sassed. “Anyway, who’s the girl our Gentleman Soo really likes? Tell me tell me!!”

 

“Drop it, Baekhyun.” Kyungsoo sighs, staring at his clean white sneakers. When he looks up again, he notices someone familiar. “Oh, Jongdae hyung.”

 

Jongin and Baekhyun snap their head towards where Kyungsoo was looking at. Jongdae is indeed there, and surprisingly yet not surprisingly with Lee Hwangmi. And Jongin could see that his brother is playing all cool and smooth next to her while he knows very well that Jongdae is firing fireworks inside his heart, and Hwangmi is laughing freely all along with him. In that moment, it’s like Jongin could see why his brother likes her so much. She’s really giving out the fresh vibe around her. It’s like her bright smile and clear voice are infectious that it makes people around her do the same. He could say that Hwangmi is the female version of Jongdae. The two will make a great couple.

 

“Okay, I could literally smell something is going to happen sooner. Tell me if I’m wrong.” Baekhyun whispers to Jongin but apparently it wasn’t intended to be a whisper since Kyungsoo could hear it just fine.

 

“You are not, hyung.” Jongin smirks. “Because it looks like someone’s going on a date tomorrow.”

 

“Holy , he asked Princess Lee to go on a date with him??”

 

“Yep, and it looks like he succeed.”

 

“A guy, foolishly in love,” Kyungsoo murmurs more to himself, “so much in love that it could bring pain to him.”

 

Baekhyun shots a horrified look on him. “Okay, Kyungsoo, that was like, ing creepy.”

 

“And for the rarest times, I agree with you, Baek hyung.”

 

===

 

On Saturday morning, Jongin wakes up to a giddy Jongdae.

 

Even his father could notice it; Jongdae is totally up on the clouds today. Jongin could only grin sheepishly at their father, while the man just smiled knowingly at his sons. One of the things he treasures the most is that his children depend on each other and it’s just like what he had promised to his deceased wife; for their son to live in harmony for the rest of their lives.

 

“Hyung, calm the down.” Jongin hisses, biting his sandwich grumpily. Not a morning person as always.

 

Jongdae is suppose to smack his brother’s head and starts rambling about proper attitudes in front of food, but he just smiles at his baby brother and ruffles his hair.

 

“Wow, Jongdae, you’re really in a good mood today.” their father commented in amusement. Jongin makes it obvious that he’s rolling his eyes.

 

“I just had a good dream, dad.” Jongdae cheerily answers.

 

Jongin scoffed at his brother’s statement, but when he looks at their father, the man flashes a warm smile yet he didn’t miss the way it was bitter at first. The smile brings a nostalgic feeling into his chest. And then he knows why.

 

It was years ago when they were kids, and Jongin could still remember there was a time when Jongdae talked a lot about how he had a good dream at night. It was the months after their mother’s death. Little Jongdae would say how he dreamed about their mother, and their father would smile warmly at him, while Jongin would just stay quiet, eating his meal. And after that the man would excuse himself, Jongin would secretly follow him, and he would find that his father cried soundlessly, but he didn’t have the courage to comfort him. How could he comfort a broken person when he was no better himself?

 

“Really, son? About what?” his father asks.

 

“Probably about kissing Kim Taehee.” Jongin snorts, trying to put some cheery atmosphere.

 

Jongdae frowns at his brother. “I’m already over her like since two years ago, you .”

 

“Your statement is invalid since it doesn’t explain the file of Kim Taehee’s latest drama I found in your laptop yesterday.”

 

“You used my laptop??”

 

“Why? Scared that I’d find your collection, hyung? Ah, that’s why you bought a new hard disk last week! You’re transferring them to it, right?”

 

“Open those flounder fish lips of yours once more and I’ll shield myself from the shower with your laptop next time.”

 

“Kids, the sandwiches, please?”

 

 

 

“You’ll do just fine.” Jongin encourages like a proud mother, patting his brother’s shoulder. “Just try not to hit someone on the street, okay?”

 

Jongdae grins too widely that he ignores Jongin’s stupid comment. “Wish me luck!”

 

“Wish you luck? What? Are you going to ask her tonight?”

 

“No no of course not! Just, you know, luck for me so I won’t mess up the dinner.”

 

Jongin frowns. “What are you saying? You’re a smooth talker, you know how to act in front of people, you could read people’s mind just by their gestures. You’ll do more than just fine.”

 

“Wow, Jongin,” Jongdae breathes out, “that was probably the most encouraging words you’ve ever told me.”

 

“You said that as if I’ve been a brother.”

 

“Which is who you really are, technically, since you have di – “

 

“Okay I get it you moron. Just go!” Jongin hisses as he pushes Jongdae out of the terrace. Said older brother laughs hysterically as he plays with the car keys in his right hand.

 

As Jongdae’s red sedan leaves the parking lot, Jongin chuckles before he turns around to reach for the front door again. He was about to close the door when he hears his name being called in a harsh whisper.

 

“Jongin! Psst, psst, Jongin!!”

 

Frowning, Jongin opens the door again, trying to recognize the voice. “Who’s there?”

 

Instead of a reply, two figures finally show up in front of him, a petite guy with mischievous grin on his lips and the other tall one with rather nervous look on his face. “Baekhyun hyung?? Chanyeol hyung??” Jongin stupidly calls them.

 

“You, kid,” Baekhyun points at him dramatically, “are coming with us!” he happily shoves Jongin back into his house. “Go change first.”

 

“But where are you guys taking m –“

 

“We’re going to spy on Jongdae!!”

 

It’s like Jongin’s eyes are jumping out of their sockets. “What the ??”

 

“Oh, Uncle Ryujong!” Chanyeol greets Jongin’s father as the man comes into the scene.

 

“Chanyeol? It’s been a really long time since the last time we met.” he smiles warmly at the boys. “Oh, Baekhyun is here too.”

 

“Can we take Jongin out, Uncle?” Baekhyun chirps. “It’s like, ‘boys’ night out’ or some sort.”

 

Boys’ night out my .

 

“Oh, of course!” the man nodded innocently. “But where is Jongdae?”

 

“He’s probably waiting for us.” Chanyeol answers too quickly.

 

Baekhyun holds the urge to roll his eyeballs before he acts all cute as he shoves Jongin onto the stairs again. “Go change, bro!”

 

Looking behind, Baekhyun is already excitedly talking to his father and Chanyeol just nods and nods like an idiot. Casting a look at the trio, Jongin huffs before he goes upstairs to change his clothes. Jongin was never a person with sixth sense nor he was a hot mouthed person, but according to his instincts, it’s going to be another troublesome night.

 

 

 

And Jongin never doubted his instincts when it comes to things like this.

 

Because here they are, seated at the corner, four tables from Jongdae and Hwangmi, spying on the couple like a bunch of creepers. Baekhyun is hiding his face behind the menu book as he occasionally steals obvious glances, Jongin is being grumpy all along, and Chanyeol is the only person at the table to really look at the menu.

 

“These dumplings look –“

 

“Sssh!”

 

“But Baek, I’m hu –“

 

“Sssshhh!!!”

 

“But I’m really – aww!! – Baek-ing-hyun did you really have to do that??”

 

“A knock on the head could always shut you up,” Baekhyun whispers nonchalantly – “but Sehun said it could make people stupid!” –, “now keep silent if you don’t want Jongdae to find out and slaughter us sweetly.”

 

Jongin sighs. “I’d be probably out of the case since I was forced to be here.”

 

“Well, Jongdae didn’t see you were forced himself, right?”

 

“Sometimes I question about your sanity a lot, Baekhyun hyung.”

 

“Don’t worry, kid, I do that a lot more.” Baekyun winks at Jongin before he stares at Jongdae and Hwangmi again. “Look at them, ew, I want to puke.”

 

“I think they are sweet.” Chanyeol shrugs. “Jongdae is being himself, thanks God. I thought he was going to pull out the cool guy façade or some sort.”

 

“Nah, he really likes this one, he won’t risk himself doing that.”

 

True to Baekhyun’s words, Jongin decides that this time, Jongdae is serious in liking someone. It’s not like his usual short-lived crushes on some girls back then. This time, Jongdae cherishes the girl very much that he’s willing to go beyond his normal self. That’s why Jongin is happy to help his brother in capturing Hwangmi’s heart. He really wishes that they will end up together and then Jongin will have some kind of sister from different mother, because seriously, he really wants a sister after years of tortures under Jongdae’s tyrant. And Lee Hwangmi seems great enough for a sister material.

 

“Just let him be.” Jongin chuckles.

 

“Yeah. And we really should order right now.” Chanyeol says without looking anywhere but the menu book, yet his elbow is nudging at some direction. “That girl with ponytail has been sending daggers to us.”

 

“… she’s… creepy.”

 

 

 

Three bowls of noodle, five glasses of iced tea and two plates of dumplings later, the trio watch as Jongdae stands up along with Hwangmi. Baekhyun immediately fishes out his wallet as Chanyeol calls for the waiter to bring them the bill. Jongin chuckles at their teamwork before he glances again at his brother. Said guy is paying for their meals at the cashier, still talking to Hwangmi animatedly. He doesn’t have an idea about what they’ve been so immersed into, but one thing he could guess is that the dinner was a success. He breathes out in relief, scooting further in his seat as Jongdae and Hwangmi make their way out of the restaurant.

 

“Damn, he nailed it.” Baekhyun whispers.

 

“Um, Jongdae is not here anymore, you could talk freely.” Chanyeol reminded.

 

“He nailed it!!” Baekhyun shrieks. “Damn, Jongdae, bless his talent in talking with people!”

 

“Thanks God, finally I don’t have to be a creeper anymore.” Jongin dramatically looks up at the ceiling.

 

Baekhyun laughs boisterously. “Yeah, kid, you’re finally free of being a volunteer and finally you could start hitting on Soojung!” he exclaims as he pats Jongin’s back proudly.

 

“What?” Jongin frowns. “Soojung?”

 

“Kid, you don’t have to hide things from us. We know you’re attracted to her.”

 

Jongin frowns more. Attracted to Jung Soojung? Well, to think again, there’s nothing of Soojung not to be liked. She’s naturally pretty, she has that ideal body that any girls around her want, she’s kind hearted, a little bit sassy and smart, and she had helped him all along in his helping-Jongdae-hyung-gets-the-girl mission. And talking with Soojung is properly fun and comfortable. After all, Soojung has been his close friend ever since high school, being in the same class and being seatmates for four years straight. He can’t really have those kinds of feelings towards her since he can’t really see her in another way than friends.

 

“I don’t know.” Jongin shrugs. “I’m not thinking about getting a girl yet. Maybe later.”

 

“Dude, she’s hot, and I bet the whole school has been waiting for the news of you guys being official. It’s just about time for you to make a move on her.” Chanyeol says like a relationship expert.

 

Baekhyun nods eagerly. “If you can really see yourself with her, you should make a move before it’s too late.”

 

Pressing his lips into a thin line, Jongin wanders his gaze through the window. Jongdae is still conversing with Hwangmi outside. “I’ll… think about it again.” he says.

 

“And I think you don’t need any help for that.” Baekhyun grin. “I mean, well, I hope you’re not like your brother who’s sissy enough not to make any – wait, where’s – what are they doing?”

 

“They seem… serious.” Jongin comments.

 

Chanyeol looks at them right when Jongdae emits a laugh. “Not really serious to me.”

 

“Well, they’re still talking, though.”

 

“I guess we have to wait a little bit.”

 

“Fine. I want to piss that unicorntailed girl more.” Baekhyun chuckles darkly.

 

Jongin blinks. “… unicorn-tail? Unicorn… uni – ah, ponytail – urgh.”

 

 

 

When Jongdae gets home, Jongin is casually changing the channels in the TV, finding nothing interesting. Chanyeol and Baekhyun have long gone, agreed reluctantly after Jongin assured them that them waiting for Jongdae to come home is not a great idea. He hears Jongdae’s footsteps coming closer, and then he hears a sigh. A heavy one.

 

“Hyung?” Jongin calls quietly when Jongdae shows up with a gloomy face.

 

Jongdae looks up at him. “Hm?”

 

“What happened? I thought the – uh, the dinner, it was fine, right?” Jongin asks.

 

Letting out another sigh, Jongdae takes a seat next to him. “Well, the dinner was great.”

 

Jongin nodded. “And why am I having a raincloud instead of sunshine here?”

 

“I… let’s just say that I made a mistake.” Jongdae says quietly. “A really dumb and embarrassing mistake.”

 

“Whoa, really?” Jongin’s eyes grow wide.

 

Jongdae nods slowly, sadly. “I, well, I drove her home. And in front of her house, I kind of, well, asked her to be my girlfriend.”

 

Jongin almost choked on his own saliva. “And she… rejected?” he asks carefully.

 

The look on Jongdae’s face had answered it all.

 

Jongin wants to rip his hair off of the scalp. And maybe Jongdae’s too.

 

===