One - Prologue

Brother's Heart

2017

 

 

 

“I’m trembling.”

 

“Uh, I can see that.”

 

“I want to run away.”

 

“You can’t run aw –“

 

“Byun Baekhyun is late! He’s the best man, how could a best man be late on the wedding day?!!”

 

“Seriously, Kim Jongdae,” Zitao huffs as he checks himself in the mirror before them, “you really need to stop freaking out.”

 

“But it’s wedding day. Everyone will freak out on a wedding day!” Jongdae shrieks, pretending he doesn’t hear Zitao sneering ‘not me of course’. “And Jongin, where’s Jongin?!”

 

Zitao sighs again for the umpteenth time. “He’s already somewhere around the altar with the boys. We’re the only one missing.”

 

That word unexpectedly sets a heavy feeling in Jongdae’s heart. Zitao, who notices this, looks at Jongdae softly as he pats the older one’s shoulder gently.

 

“Hey, Tao,” Jongdae whispers, “this probably will be the last time I can spend with Jongin before I leave him. You know, after this, one of us will be someone’s husband and the other will be… supposedly someone’s brother in law. So, um, can you help me?”

 

Unhesitatingly, Zitao nods. “Say it.”

 

“Just… just tell him, that… well, tell him to live well.” Jongdae smiles. “And even if I’m not around him, I’ll always be by his side. And don’t forget the gift, okay? You have to give him the gift I’ve prepared.”

 

“Got it.” Zitao replies the smile. “Now shall we get out of here so the wedding can start?”

 

===

 

 “I’m trembling.”

 

“Uh, why are you?”

 

“I don’t know. You’re the one who’s getting married today but I’m trembling like hell.”

 

“Do I need to call your wife?”

 

“No, no,” Sehun cuts in horror, “she’d only laugh at me for three days straight. Or worse, she’d get mad at me because I wasn’t even nervous back in our wedding – hell I wasn’t even that nervous when Youngji was born.”

 

Hwangmi laughs freely, not caring if she could ruin her make up. “Tsk tsk, you’re a father of a two years old kid yet you’re already sending a twenty two years old girl to the altar.”

 

“Hey, I’ve promised to be your dad in your wedding day, right?” Sehun smiles at her warmly despite the nervousness that is still lingering all over his body. “I’m trembling because I’m sending away someone’s daughter. I wish I won’t disappoint your mom.”

 

“My mom’s fine.” Hwangmi waves her hand. “She’s beyond happy to have you around. You’re forever her ‘ex-son in law-to-be’.”

 

Sehun relaxes a bit as he laughs. “Anyway, can’t wait to walk to the altar. It’s like a practice so I can do better with Youngji’s wedding in like two decades later.”

 

Both of them laugh before they fall into a comfortable silence. She hears Zitao’s voice telling Chanyeol to hurry up so they can take their respective position at the side of the altar as the co-best men – ‘I seriously thought I had told you to stay still before the altar!!’ – ‘For God’s sake, Huang Zitao, I like you much better when you were mute!!’ – ‘I was never mute to begin with!’

 

A smile forms on her lips, a rather bittersweet one.

 

“Hey, Hun,” she speaks softly, “do you think he’s happy right now?”

 

Sehun was about to ask who, but then he realizes who she’s talking about. Eventually, he smiles too. “Are you happy?”

 

Without any hesitation, Hwangmi nods. “I am.”

 

“Well then I’m sure he’s happy right now.” Sehun smiles at her. “After all he once said that your happiness is his happiness too.”

 

===

 

Jongdae looks at his brother who has been standing on his own respective spot. Jongin, apparently, is just as nervous as he is. He chuckles slightly as he watches his brother wiping the sweat on his temple, then he shifts his gaze on the enormous door across the church hall.

 

“Baek,” Jongdae hears Chanyeol calls for his best friend, “hey Baek,”

 

“What?” Baekhyun, who’s holding the box that contains the wedding rings in his hand, whispers back rather harshly – it’s always Chanyeol’s nature to ruin a perfect and sacred moment.

 

Chanyeol points secretly towards the door, “the bride is really pretty, I had seen her before I came here.”

 

That obviously sets a fluttery and sparkly feeling inside his chest. But it also makes him more nervous than before. The pretty bride is coming. Holy , she’s really coming.

 

“She’s coming, boys.” Kyungsoo whispers to them. “The groom better be prepared.”

 

The doors are opened, revealing Soojung walking down the aisle with a flower bouquet in her hands. Chanyeol is not even ashamed to blatantly lift up a thumb to compliment the girl’s appearance today. Soojung just laughs softly at the man’s antic. Soon Sunyoung comes in, holding the similar bouquet, and Kyungsoo can’t even hide his awed smile upon seeing his fiancé. Sunyoung throws him a shy yet blooming smile. Somewhere along the way Baekhyun sighs heavily and murmurs something like ‘I ing want a fiancé like right now’.

 

Soon enough, Sehun walks into the room in his tuxedo; his left arm is linked with the bride’s right one. The bride, Hwangmi, is in a simple yet beautiful white wedding dress with silver studs scattered around the fabric. The guests are paying a full attention to the beautiful bride and the handsome supposedly ‘father of the bride’. Sehun, despite being awkward in his own position, smiles proudly as he keeps Hwangmi’s arm linked tightly with his.

 

It’s until the half of the walk that Hwangmi looks straight to the altar to meet the eyes of the guy who’s going to be her husband in minutes. The guy is not really smiling at her, but his eyes show that he’s very grateful to see her. The love is clear in his eyes. A wave of warmth swells inside her heart. She had been waiting for this day, for both of them to tie their love, to start a new life with someone she cherishes so much after all the chaos and wounds they had went through together.

 

Of course all the boys around the altar are mesmerized by Hwangmi’s appearance today. But Jongdae couldn’t care more or less about them. That moment, there is only Hwangmi and him. Hwangmi is the only person he could look at. Hwangmi, the girl who he loves with all his heart.

 

A single pulp of tear escapes his right eye. Now, he looks down, it’s the time now.

 

The sunlight from the enormous window across the room shines too brightly than it’s supposed to be.

 

And then his gaze just has to meet Jongin’s. The younger one couldn’t even hide the emotions inside his eyes.

 

“Hyung,” Jongin whispers inaudibly.

 

He shares his brother a smile that he hopes could pay all those tears the said brother had spent because of him.

 

===

 

 

Hi!

 

This is my first time writing an EXO fanfiction with JongBrothers as the main characters! I’ve always shipped Kai and Chen as brothers, like, they really fit to be one. They’re brothers in almost every ff I’ve written.

 

I have to admit that KPop world has been very rough lately. Someone leaves, someone dies, someone gets sued, someone gets bashed because of dating, someone gets kicked out, someone goes to prison, etc. Kris’ departure from the group had shaken me the most, since he’s like the only bias I have aside of TVXQ’s Changmin. And not long after that, when I – all of us still couldn’t completely cope with it yet, Luhan leaves too. Luhan, although he’s not my bias, holds a special spot in my heart since he’s the reason I start to write EXO fanfiction (technically HunHan), so it got me devastated too. Everyone’s having a hard time right now; I hope next year will be much much better than this because we really need it to be. Let’s get through 2014 together!

 

No matter who’s at fault, it’s still saddening. It’s sad to see the end of something you thought will last. But I also think that it’s sadder to be the one who end it, so I just hope for the best for Kris and Luhan – for everyone.

 

And oh, I’ll try to update this fic once a week, especially on weekend. Ongoing fic is not really my best luck, but I’ll try hard.

 

Fighting everyone ^^