NadiYong: Friends Until

NadiYong X VChelle

Yonghwa wasn't one for confessions—heck, he'd never even given one before. He was always the one to receive confessions from girls... and guys alike. However, today was an exception. He'd planned this for a while now, and it was finally time to put his plan into action. His closest female friend was waiting for him at the cafe they'd always meet at for a refreshing treat. Sulbing Cafe was the name; his close friend Jonghyun had opened it up a couple of years ago. Business was booming. You could say that was thanks to Yonghwa going there nearly every day, which caused his dedicated fangirls to follow suit. Besides that, the cafe was a huge success on its own as well.

 

It seemed as though this subway would go on forever. Well, at least he wished for it to. He sighed and slumped his head, eyes landing directly on the bouquet of flowers in his hand. He was nervous—who could blame him? He was about to ask the girl of his dreams to be his. From the moment they crossed paths on that fateful day at the bus stop, he knew she would be someone that he wanted in his life for a long time. Maybe even a lifetime.


2 years ago.

 

It was just another autumn day for Yonghwa. The new semester for his college had begun, and nothing excitingly new had come from it. The most exciting thing was probably the bench underneath him that had rusted over the summer. Like every other student, he was simply attending his classes. Why? He wasn't exactly sure. He didn't know what he wanted to do, quite honestly. Of course his parents were all for the medical field. They wanted their son to become Korea's next best doctor. However Yonghwa had no intentions to do so. Sure, he would attend his classes in the hopes of getting accepted into medical school; but in reality, his heart wasn't there. Even his mind would take a detour sometimes. He wasn't sure where he was headed with his life, especially since he was earning a degree for a field that he had absolutely no interest in.

 

Yonghwa changed the song on his iPod to one of his favorites: Angel. It was a song he had written and sang himself. Composing music was a hobby of his, though he acknowledged that he didn't have the talent to break out and become well-known for his music. He was fine if the only people that heard his music were his few hundred subscribers on YouTube, his best friends, and of course his ever-supportive brother. He imagined many times to himself how nice it would be to sing this song to a loved one. Not specifically a mother or grandmother for that matter. Yonghwa knew it was lame, but this song was one of the reasons why he yearned to have a girlfriend in the first place. The emotions he sang this song with were that of someone wanting a lover. He'd never had one in the past, and unfortunately he wouldn't have one in the near future. Why? Well, although his hormones were loud and clear, he sought only to focus on his school work for the time being. Though it's not as if his parents didn't have anything to do with that matter. They wanted him to focus, and encouraged him that love will come later. After he was the old, lonely and depressed doctor, that is. So having a girlfriend could wait. He was perfectly fine with just his imagination. Well, at least for however long that would satisfy him.

 

Losing himself in his thoughts, Yonghwa subconsciously began singing along to the melody playing in his ears.

 

“You're my only angel, you're my only angel, Ms. pretty be my Mrs....”

 

“Ah! What am I doing.” A mysterious girl that ceased in her desperate treading released a heavy sigh before folding the nearly crumbled paper in her hands. Shoving the useless map in her hand back into her messenger bag, she eyed the empty part of the bench next to Yonghwa and plopped down heavily next to the waiting boy. “This won't do, I gotta call Serena.”

 

Yonghwa blinked a few times before staring at the woman next to him with an incredulous expression. He had wondered why she chose to sit so close to him when there was clearly tons of space besides her. Shaking his head, he moved his vision back to that of his iPod, and scrolled through countless applications in search of nothing in particular.

 

“Come on... Answer, please? Serena! Yeah I am completely lost and I have no idea where I'm going... I got off at Station 16...”

 

Yonghwa assumed she was American. She was quite loud and obnoxious. Be his guess right or wrong, he knew it was still offensive. Though the girl's abrasive attitude just might prove his assumption correct. Besides, the way she spoke English was convincing enough.

 

Are you sure? Oh man... Okay.” Yonghwa eyed the girl from his peripheral vision, watching her turn full front towards him as though to request something. “Mm, yeah there's someone here so I'll just ask him. Thanks.”

 

Yonghwa frantically scrolled through his apps with a bigger sense of urgency once he noticed the unknown female turn her attention on him completely.

 

“Excuse me?” Yonghwa pretended not to hear the other call out to him. Sure, his English wasn't that bad, but he didn't want to get into a full-blown conversation with someone using it. It was intimidating.

 

“Excuse me?” The girl repeated, this time in Korean. He was instantly caught by surprise at her sudden change of language. He didn't expect her to speak Korean. Great, now I have to converse.

 

“Yes?” His response was absolutely soulless, his eyes never leaving the iPod's screen.

 

“Yes, I'm kind of lost, you see. Do you think you could help me?”

 

Another foreigner lost in Seoul, shocking. “I don't think I could be of any help. I'm not from here, either.” Once again he responded with as much soul as a toilet bowl. At least he wasn't lying; that was his benefit of being from Busan. Though curiously, he turned his head in the direction of the lost girl.

 

She simply sat there, staring back at him with a slight pout forming on her lips from his answer. “Oh... Well, I know you said you can't help me but... If you just had any idea where the University of Seoul is, I would be forever grateful.”

 

Yonghwa perked up at the mention of his school. He figured that she must have been a foreign exchange student. The other noticed this sudden reaction, and a smile reached her face instantly. “Oh! It seems like you know?”

 

Yonghwa was reluctant to answer at first, however he managed a nod at first and pointed in the direction of the University. “Yeah, U.S. It's that way.”

 

“Ahh, thank you so much! So I am at the right bus stop, right?” She nodded a few times, looking for an approval of her assumption.


“Yeah. Just take this bus there. It's about seven minutes away.” He removed his hand from the air and placed it right back on his phone.

 

“Awesome! So are you a student at that university?” He didn't know why she wanted to know this, though he thought it couldn't hurt just to answer her question.

 

“Mm. I'm in my third year now.” He paused his music, knowing that this girl would definitely talk more than he anticipated.

 

“I see. How do you like it so far? Is the campus nice? How are the professors?” His prediction was correct. He assumed that Americans were just naturally comfortable talking with one another, especially when it involved people they didn't know.

 

“I like it. The campus is pretty nice, and of course, the professors are the best in Seoul.” Yonghwa's voice became a bit more lively than before, having a hint of interest behind his responses.

 

“Wow, well it's my second year. I'm really glad I could study here for my college back home. It's not every day you get to go to a different country for your studies.”

 

“Right. So, where are you from?” A quick flash of shock crossed the boy's face, completely taken aback from his sudden question. He had to admit though, he found himself genuinely interested in what this stranger had to say. He wasn't one for building random relationships on the street, but there was just something about this person that was simply inviting.

 

“America! Florida, to be more exact.” The nameless girl flashed him a quick but lovable grin, one that caught him completely off guard with its sudden appearance. He felt his cheeks turn warm, but ignored the irrelevant symptom.


“So you're a Florida girl, huh? I heard it's really sunny there.”

 

“Hah! Not really. The title 'Sunshine State' is a lie. It rains all the time. It's actually really depressing.”

 

“Is that why you talk so loud? Because the sound of the rain is so overbearing?”

 

“Haha... what?” Yonghwa watched the girl become noticeably tense at his statement. He wondered if he had went too far. Without much thought, He placed a hand on her shoulder and shook it with little effort.

 

“Joking.”

 

“Oh,” The stranger's tension seemed to disappear under Yonghwa's gentle touch, causing her to respond with a light chuckle.

 

“...But you do speak pretty loud though, Florida girl.” He put on a playful grin, teasing the other purposely. The other pouted at his confession, though quickly brought her attention to something else.

 

“Earlier when I was looking at the map, I heard you singing.”

 

“Oh, did you? I guess you want an apology for how bad it was, huh.”

 

“No no,” The girl waved her hands in front of her in an objecting manner. “Of course not! You're actually a really good singer. I kind of feel bad for interrupting you.”

 

“Ahh, is that so.” Yonghwa mumbled, the question coming out in a  rhetorical manner.

 

“Yeah! Your major must be Music, no?” The strange girl seemed very interested in what his answer was. He glanced at her enthusiastic expression before looking back at his iPod for no particular reason. A small smirk appeared on his face while a chuckle escaped his lips. “I'm a Science major.”

 

“Ahh... I was way off, wasn't I? I guess the world of music will be missing out on a big talent, then.” She jokingly suggested as she rested her chin on a propped arm. Yonghwa absorbed the opinion of the stranger quietly. His hand cleared the screen of his iPod a few times before he turned it on, then off a few times.

 

“Mm, I guess so.”

 

 

 

 

The two sat at the bus stop for another ten minutes discussing small talk, majors and hobbies. Even a few jokes were thrown in here and there from both sides. When the bus arrived, both the girl and Yonghwa made their way on it, though the stranger lagged behind a bit due to a struggle with finding her bus card. Once on the bus, her eyes sought out the person she was previously having a conversation with, and naturally took a seat next to him near the back of the bus. Yonghwa noticed how much closer she was to him compared to when they were on the bench. Her arm pressed against his due to the cozieness of the seats, and their knees touched slightly whenever the bus went over a bump. About twenty minutes ago, Yonghwa would have questioned why she decided to sit next to him when nearly all of the other seats on the bus were empty. However, the thought just so happened to slip his mind. He grinned quietly to himself while staring out of the window at the passing trees and businesses.

 

 

“Thank you so much for showing me the way! I probably wouldn't have been able to make it here if it wasn't for you!” The thankful stranger held out a hand to Yonghwa, as though offering him to shake it. He was taken aback from the gesture, however shrugged it off and clasped her hand in his own.

 

“Usually at times like this, the person who is grateful would bow to show how thankful they are... I guess you don't know that yet, Florida girl.”

 

“Ahh!” The other instantly removed her hand from the male's grasp and bowed as deep as she could in remorse. “I'm so sorry! I'm still not used to these customs.”

 

“It's okay, I was only teasing.” He reached over and pat the others back, signaling for her to stop bowing. Understanding his gesture, she quickly straightened her back and was met face-to-face with the taller boy. Yonghwa was flustered at the sudden eye contact, causing him to swallow the growing lump in his throat with a minor struggle. Realizing that his hand was still placed on the stranger's back, he removed it in an instant and shoved it casually in to his front pocket.

 

“So, I guess I'll see you around, Florida girl.” Yonghwa suggested, playing it as cool as he could in the current situation.

 

“Yeah! And... It's Nadia.” She moved her concentration to some invisible speck on the floor.

 

“Hmm?”

 

“My name. Nadia. It's Nadia,” She couldn't help but laugh at her awkwardness. It wasn't every day that she acted so extroverted when it came to meeting new people.

 

“Oh. Nadia...” He mumbled, checking his pronunciation. “Mine's Yonghwa. Jung Yonghwa.” Yonghwa put out his hand as she did a moment ago. “I'll see you around then, Nadia-shi.”

 

Nadia perked up at the sound of her name coming from the lips of the handsome boy in front of her. A smile instantly lit up her face as she grabbed the boy's hand with a bit more force than intended. Yonghwa, although slightly bewildered at the strength of the handshake, returned the same amount of force as playfully as possible.

 

“You know, you're interesting, Florida girl.” Sure, he knew her name, however the male had grown fond of the nickname he'd given her. “If you're not busy, maybe we could meet at a cafe later... for patbingsoo?” Yonghwa was unsure of where this sudden confidence was coming from. But at the same time, he was fully aware.

 

“Patbingsoo? Hmm...” Nadia contemplated over the offer with a distraught expression. Yonghwa noticed this and tilted his head in curiosity.

 

“Are you not a fan?”

 

“No I just—I'm allergic.”

 

“To ice? How do you live,” Yonghwa joked.

 

“No that's not what I meant,” Nadia laughed abruptly at the gag, knowing that it must have sounded that way since she didn't specify. “I'm allergic to nuts.”

 

“Oh...” He looked down, taking in a good view of his own pants and looked back up to continue. “I guess I should leave then--” Yonghwa turned away in an attempt to leave Nadia by herself, but was quickly kept in his spot due to their hands still embracing each other.

 

“Oh my god,” Nadia exploded in laughter, not knowing that the stranger she had met at the bus stop a while ago had this type of humor. She was amused. “That was erted, was it not?”

 

"Heh," Yonghwa scratched at the non-existent itch taking over the nape of his neck, “That's probably why I keep to myself most of the time, because stuff like that makes its way to the surface and—”

 

“No no no, I liked it! It was really funny. I like that type of humor, trust me.” Nadia nodded while smiling as though to reassure the boy in front of her. “I mean if I were a guy I probably would have said the same thing.”

 

“Ha, really?” Yonghwa was genuinely shocked at her proposal. Not many girls would say something so... brash. He assumed that was probably one of the hugest difference with Korean women and American ones. Either way, he was digging it. It was different, and that was something he looked for in people he encountered.

 

“Yeah, I'm not the most feminine girl around,” Nadia chuckled at the confession, earning a curious gaze from the tall boy.

 

“You could have fooled me. You're pretty cute,” Yonghwa once again was shocked by the sentence that escaped his mouth. In an effort to change the subject, the boy conveniently brought up the topic of the allergy once again, giving Nadia zero chance to react. “And we can just order the patbingsoo without the nuts. I'm sure they have different kinds that exclude nuts, anyway.”

 

“Ahh yeah, I guess that's right,” Nadia's face suddenly turned a noticeable red hue, as she directed her attention towards something else.

 

“What's wrong?” Yonghwa was confused at the girl's sudden shyness. Did she not like the compliment? Was it too soon? Why—

 

Through his panicky thoughts, Yonghwa found the source of Nadia's sudden rush of embarrassment. The same type of embarrassment enveloped his face as the short girl brought up their partnered hands. Yonghwa never realized that he was still holding on to her hand. It felt so natural, and he honestly didn't mind the contact. Noticing the situation, Yonghwa immediately withdrew his hand from the others grasp and contracted it a few times to loosen the minor cramp that had formed.

 

“Sorry about that. Is it believable to say that I forgot?” Yonghwa suggested almost convincingly.

 

“It's fine,” Nadia brushed the situation aside, not wanting it to ruin the friendly mood she was building with the other. “So cafe, after class?” Nadia repeated.

 

“Yeah, it's called 'Sulbing Cafe.' I'll be there around 3, maybe 3:30?”

 

“Ahh...” Nadia sighed gently, her mind suddenly creating different ways for her to get lost in the city. “Sorry if you're there for a while, I can't promise that I'll know exactly where to go—”

 

“I can wait for you.” Yonghwa interrupted, hesitation being non-existent. “We can take the bus together.” Nadia nodded in a silent agreement, which earned a smile from the boy. “So I'll meet you here in front of the university gates at 2:30 then?”

 

“Yes! That sounds great.” She responded with more enthusiasm than she would have liked.

 

“Good. See you then.” With yet another silent agreement, Nadia nodded and began to walk in the direction of the admissions office. Looking back a couple of times, she noticed the other watching her as she walked off, causing her to leave with a grin that displayed her obvious moment of glee.

 

Although their interaction was short, Yonghwa felt a special connection with this stranger. He didn't know what it was, however he wasn't shy on finding out. Once the other was completely out of his sight, he made his way over to his advisor's office. He had a few questions about his current major and a possible minor.

 

~~

 

Now approaching, Station Exit 6. Now approaching Station Exit 6. Please stand clear of the doors. Thank you.”

 

Yonghwa's heart nearly exploded in his chest as he heard the train announce its approaching destination. He wasn't sure if he was ready to confess to Nadia. Nonetheless, the one thing he was sure about were the feelings he had towards this girl.

 

Once outside the doors of Sulbing Cafe, he took one last deep breath and made his way inside the restaurant. “Oppa!” Nadia nearly jumped out of the chair to greet the arriving boy. He smiled at the sight of the other and rushed his way towards the table she occupied.

 

“For you,” Yonghwa revealed the bouquet that hid behind his back and pushed it slightly towards the other sitting before him, “Ms. Florida girl.”

 

“Wow, they're so pretty!” Nadia took the bundle of flowers into her own hands, smelling the natural perfume radiating from the present. “Thank you. But what are they for? My birthday was a while ago...”

 

Yonghwa cleared his throat before digging in his back pocket for the note he had written at home. “Also, this.”

 

Nadia tilted her head in curiosity before taking the note from the others hand. “What's this? You're making me feel nervous.” She placed the bouquet on the table and focused her vision on the note she held in her hands. Before she could open it, Yonghwa placed a hand over the letter, stopping her from revealing its contents.

 

“Before you read that, I want to show you something.” Yonghwa turned away without further explanation and searched for an item in particular. “Don't open it yet,” He yelled from the other side of the cafe.


“Okay...” Nadia placed the note on the table and picked up the flowers she had set down before. “But Oppa, do you know why the cafe is so empty today? It's usually packed at this time of the day...” Nadia received no reply, and only grinned sideways before taking in the scent of the bouquet.
 

“Hey,” Yonghwa called out from the bar area of the cafe. He had taken a seat on top of the counter and comfortably placed the guitar in his lap. Earning Nadia's attention, Yonghwa grinned and began to play the guitar that seemed to complete him in a way.

 

“I love you everyday
Can you remember the day we met?
Baby you came and walked with me. Don't walk away
You are my number one, number one
You tell me everything
And I will listen, I promise baby
Baby you come and hold my hand.
Baby can we dance?
Don't you love me now? Fall in love with me,

You're my only angel...”

 

The way he played the guitar made it seem as though he grew up with the instrument. His fingers flowed perfectly over every string, not faltering even once. He created a melody that could pull any one in. His skills were so advanced that he had no problem playing it while staring at Nadia from across the cafe.

 

Nadia, on the other hand, didn't even notice when her lips has parted as though taking in a very subtle breath. She was flabbergasted at the sudden performance, witnessing something she couldn't even imagine. She felt her heartbeat increase in her chest, and her grip on the bouquet tightened, as though she were holding on to it for her dear life.

 

“You're my only angel
You're my only angel
Ms. Sweety be my Mrs.
I will make you mine. Girl be easy
You know you are driving me freaking crazy

I'm your number one fan.”

 

“Yonghwa tapped the guitar a few times before sending Nadia a shy smile. “Okay, open the letter.”

 

Although she heard him loud and clearly, it took her a few seconds to fully comprehend what he said. She nodded understandingly, the corner of her lips rising ever so slightly. Once she placed the flowers on the table, she took the note in her hands and unfolded the slightly crinkled paper. Without thinking twice, she read the note aloud:

 

“Dear Ms. Florida Girl,

 

“We've been friends for a good while now, right? ^^ We've had our happy moments :) and sad moments :( but we've stuck together as friends through it all :P However, there comes a time where you have to stop being friends with some people. I bet you're wondering what I mean, right? Well...”

 

Nadia stopped reading the the letter in front of her, only because Yonghwa stopped writing from that point. She noticed him walking towards her table after setting down the guitar on the counter. Once he stood in front of her, he extended his hand forward and raised a brow. Taking the signal, Nadia took his hand in hers and stood up, her eyes not leaving his own.

 

“Being your friend is nice, but being your boyfriend would be nicer,” Yonghwa linked their fingers in a more comfortable fit, covering the back of her bare hand with his other available one.

 

“So what do you say, Florida girl?”

 

Nadia shifted her eyes a few times, searching in Yonghwa's for the sincerity she needed in order to believe his statement. Their friendship came so naturally—since the very first day they met as a matter-of-fact. Hearing the other wanting to risk it all for the sake of furthering their relationship was frightening... yet thrilling at the same time. Without further thought, Nadia nodded her head with little hesitation. Right before Nadia managed to work up a smile, Yonghwa twirled the other around and embraced her in a tight back hug. He rested his chin on the crook of the short girl's neck, and his arms wrapped around her waist as though they were meant to be there. Both of their heartbeats were fast-paced and abnormal; however, they seemed to beat perfectly with one another. Nadia placed her hands on top of Yonghwa's comforting arms, wishing nothing but time to stop at this very moment. A warm smile greeted her face, and a sense of relief took over her entire body.

 

“Thank you for coming in to my life,” Yonghwa started, his embrace tightening around the other's waist. “You made me realize how important music was in my life. Now you're to blame for the industry having to deal with a sap like me.”

 

“Oh well.” Nadia replied, mustering up as much sarcasm as possible. “Being sappy can be your concept.”

 

Yonghwa chuckled tenderly, leaving the girl under his embrace to feel a warm chill go down her spine.

 

“But tell you what?” Nadia asked, turning around in his hug as she naturally wrapped her arms around the taller boy's neck. Yonghwa smiled, completely content with his girlfriend's face being inches away from his own.

 

“What?”

 

“I'll be your number one fan,” she paused mid-sentence, giving herself time to place a quick kiss on Yonghwa's lips. “If you keep being mine.”

 

Yonghwa blinked a few times at Nadia's sudden action, though the bright smile that formed on his face displayed his obvious approval. "Call."

 

 


A.N: AHHHHH SO CHEEEEEESE ADSDSHDEDLRGJEVO