Chapter 4

Another Cinderella Story

Yoona kept walking down the hallway as she held her books close to her chest. As Yoona walked, she saw a group of girls giggling and screaming in excitement.

“I can’t wait for the school dance!!” one of them said happily.

“Yeah!! It’s a masquerade dance and it’ll be a surprise for who I’m going to dance with!” another one of them said while jumping up and down in joy. Yoona rolled her eyes and continued walking.

“Yoona!” a voice called her. Yoona turned around and saw her step brother Yunho running as fast as he could towards her. Yoona smiled. Yunho acted nothing like the Jung sisters. Yunho was a kind and caring person who protected Yoona from her step mother. Yunho was Yoona’s best friend. Yunho halted into a stop when he reached Yoona.

“Hi Yunho.” Yoona greeted her step brother as they both walked down the hallway side by side.

“Good afternoon Yoona.” Yunho said. “Are you going?” Yunho asked. Yoona’s face was puzzled.

“Where?” asked Yoona.

“You know, to the school dance.” Yunho replied which made Yoona frown in disappointment afterwards.

“I don’t think I’ll be going…” Yoona answered quietly. Yunho just nodded sympathetically.

“I can tell Bong Cha if you want.” Yunho suggested which made Yoona smile again.

“Thanks Yunho.” Yoona said as Yunho gave her a warm smile.

Then, the school bell rang and everyone rushed around hurriedly to get to their next class.

“Bye Yoona. I’ll see you at home, okay?” Yunho asked. Yoona nodded.

“Sure, bye.” Yoona said. Yoona then turned around and walked towards her next class.

After school, Yoona rode the bus home and as she hopped off, she met with the angry face of her step mother staring at her furiously. Yoona gulped nervously.

“Is there anything wrong, Bong Cha?” asked Yoona shakily. Bong Cha simply gave Yoona an evil grin.

“Min Young claimed that her lipstick went missing yesterday when you were cleaning the house. She said that you stole it.” Bong Cha explained in a menacing tone which sent shivers down Yoona’s spine.

“I didn’t steal it-” Yoona said before she was rudely interrupted.

“Liar! You are grounded for 2 months and you are NOT by any means, allowed to go anywhere, including the school dance!” Bong Cha yelled. “Just like your mother AND father, you are a disgrace! Go upstairs to your room immediately! I will be checking your room at 12:00 at midnight, and if you’re not there, at hand would be serious consequences.” Bong Cha ordered as she pointed towards the mansion. It was too late. Yoona figured that she would need to tell Yunho that there was no use convincing Bong Cha to let her go to the school dance.

Yoona nodded sadly as she walked inside the mansion and up the flight of spiralled stairs. Yoona opened the door of the attic and walked inside her dusty so-called sanctuary. Yoona flopped her school bag onto her bed and sat down. I wasn’t lying. I’ve never even touched Min Young’s lipstick. Yoona thought as tears were rolling down her face.

Yoona stood up and wiped the tears from her face. Come on, Yoona. Be brave. Yoona told herself as she so often did these days. Yoona then spotted a lovely sky-blue dress and a colourful, sparkly mask sitting there on her bed. This has got to be a mistake. Yoona thought as she stared at the beautiful dress. Yoona pinched herself on the arm to see if this was all a dream, but it didn’t work. This was really happening.

Yoona walked slowly towards the dress and saw a small note next to it. She picked up the note and read it. The note said, ‘To my little step sister, Im Yoona. I know how you really wanted to go to the dance, so I told mother that Min Young and Shin Hye were being deceitful. Go downstairs at 6:00 and there will be a limo waiting there for you to drive you to the dance. From your fairy god brother, Yunho.’

Yoona chuckled softly as she put down the note and picked up the dress. Thank you so much Yunho. Yoona thought as she picked up the dress and walked towards the bathroom.

Yoona changed into her blue dress and then walked out of the bathroom and walked in front of a mirror. Yoona stood with her hands on her hips, turning this way and that, every now and then reaching up and flicking at her waist-length beautiful hair. She made a silly face in the mirror, baring her soft, white teeth and holding up her fingers as if they were claws. She almost laughed, but then sighed and slumped her shoulders.

Yoona glanced at the wall clock and it was 5: 50 pm. Yoona then picked up her mask and slipped it onto her face. Yoona spotted her mother’s bracelet on her dresser and decided to wear it for this special occasion. I guess this is it. Yoona thought.

Yoona walked down the stairs and out of the mansion. There was a sleek, black limo parked near the side walk and the driver was none other than her fairy step brother, Jung Yunho. The driver’s window slid down and there was Yunho winking at Yoona playfully. Yoona laughed happily.

“Thank you so much Yunho. I don’t know how to repay you for your kindness.” Yoona said as she entered the back seat of the limo.  

“You’re welcome. You’ve already cleaned the whole mansion, Yoona. You deserve the best.” Yunho said which made Yoona smile.

The limo drove towards the school and parked near the school.

“Have a nice time, Yoona.” Yunho said.

“Thanks a million times, Yunho.” Yoona said happily as she exited the limo and entered the school gym where the dance was held. When Yoona was inside the school gym, she looked around the place and her jaw dropped at what she saw. There were lights of different colours flashing everywhere making different patterns around the gym, very loud music playing, and lots of students dancing and swaying blissfully.

Everyone was wearing masks so she didn’t know who was who, and she was quite glad that no one could recognise her. Especially if her step sisters saw her here.

Yoona looked up and saw a D.J wearing huge headphones, pressing different buttons on the D.J stand and he was the only person who wasn’t wearing a mask. She guessed he was in charge of the music. But suddenly the D.J’s arm waved around above his head as he kept pressing buttons with his other hand.

The fast, electro music changed into a slow, ballad type of music which made Yoona’s ears relax from all the noise. Yoona looked around her and the people in the dance stopped partying and began dancing in a ballroom fashion with a partner.

Yoona walked towards a wall so people couldn’t see that she didn’t have a partner. But it turns out she wasn’t the only one. There was a guy in the crowd of people and he tapped Yoona gently on the shoulder. Yoona shook at the sudden touch on her shoulder and spun around to be face to face with a person wearing a neat tuxedo and a red, feathered mask.

“May I have this dance?” asked that person as he held out his hand in a gentlemanly manner. Yoona’s heart felt like bursting from joy as she slowly nodded her head in response.

Yoona heard the guy chuckle slightly as he pulled Yoona towards the middle of the gym.

Yoona froze as the guy wrapped his arm around her waist and held one of her hands with his other hand. Yoona didn’t know why, but as their hands touched, she remembered when she was tutoring Jaejoong and how she felt the electricity running through her body. It was the same feeling, but Yoona thought the guy she was with couldn’t possibly be Jaejoong.

Yoona’s arms magically found their way around the guy’s shoulders as they both swayed gracefully to the soothing rhythm.

Yoona was still sceptical, so she made sure that the person couldn’t see her through the eye holes of the mask. The couple danced happily for a few hours until the D.J announced that it was midnight. Yoona suddenly remembered that Bong Cha was going to check her room at midnight, so Yoona removed her arms from the guy’s shoulders. The guy then turned to her worriedly.

“Sorry, I need to leave.” Yoona apologised then stepped away from the guy.

“Can you stay for a little while longer? I’m Kim Jaejoong. What’s your name?”  asked the person, or should I say, Jaejoong, as he grabbed Yoona’s wrist. Yoona’s eyes widened in surprise.So it WAS Jaejoong all along. Yoona thought.

“I… I’m… sorry. I-I can’t tell you. Sorry…” Yoona stuttered nervously as she ripped her arm away from Jaejoong’s grasp and then rushed out of the gym as fast as her legs could carry her. Jaejoong watched her run away from him as he stood alone amongst the crowd of people dancing. Jaejoong then remembered something fall off when he grabbed her wrist. It was a golden bracelet. He found it now lying on the wooden floor without an owner. Jaejoong bent down and picked up the bracelet.

Jaejoong looked at the bracelet closely and it had characters which spelt the name, ‘Im Mi Nyu’ engraved delicately on the shiny beads. The name sounded female but he didn’t recognise any of the school girls with the same name. Jaejoong slipped the bracelet inside his pocket and decided to use it to find out who was this mystery girl he was dancing with. I will find you, mystery girl. Jaejoong thought as he squeezed through the crowd of students and into the gym’s bathroom.

Wow!!! It got intense!!! Pls subscribe + comment if you can and if you don't like it, then, well... I don't know... but critisism is allowed in the comments. Don't worry! >.<          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>