Chapter 3

Another Cinderella Story

It was midday and Yoona was making her way towards her tutoring session. Algebra. Yoona sighed. Yoona was quite proud of being one of the smartest people in school, though. But most of the time, it felt like a burden. Who am I kidding? I’m just a bookworm. People don’t even care if anyone is ‘smart’. Yoona thought. In fact, Yoona was so smart that she was a tutor to other students that needed help in their studies.

Yoona looked at her wrist and noticed that she wasn’t wearing her mother’s bracelet. Oh well, she figured she left it at home today.

Yoona walked inside the classroom and probably got the shock of her life. The person she needed to tutor was none other than Kim Jaejoong. Oh no. It couldn’t possibly be him, could it?

Yoona gulped and decided to just get it over and done with. Yoona walked towards Jaejoong slowly while her heart felt like it was beating a million miles per hour. Jaejoong didn’t see Yoona coming to him because he was looking out the window, with his back facing the classroom.

“Excuse me. Are you Kim Jaejoong?” Yoona asked nervously as she tapped Jaejoong softly on the shoulder. Jaejoong jolted at the sudden touch and spun his chair around to find Yoona standing in front of him with an uncertain expression on her face. Please, please, please don’t tell me SHE’S my tutor! Jaejoong thought as he nodded in response to Yoona’s question.

“I’m your tutor.” Yoona said. Darn it!! Jaejoong quietly cursed in his mind. “I’m Im Yoona. It’s nice to meet you.” Yoona greeted in the friendliest tone she could do as she extended her hand for a hand-shake.

Jaejoong eyed her in disgust, not wanting to even try to be nice to Yoona. Jaejoong simply gave Yoona a cold glare as Yoona took her hand back awkwardly.

“May I sit in this seat?” asked Yoona while pointing to the chair next to Jaejoong.

“Go ahead.” Jaejoong replied quietly.

“Thanks.” Yoona said politely as she sat down. Yoona opened a maths text book and Jaejoong just stared at her cautiously. Yoona flipped to a page in the maths book. “So the teachers said that you’ve been having trouble with this subject?” asked Yoona as she looked up from the book to face Jaejoong. Jaejoong nodded nervously which made Yoona smile a little bit.

“I’m sorry for tripping over you earlier. I promise to never do that again, okay?” asked Yoona in a soft, patient voice. Jaejoong seemed to relax and decided not to make things any difficult as they already were.  

“Okay.” Jaejoong answered as Yoona gave him a warm smile.

“Good.” Yoona said reassuringly. Yoona looked back to the textbook and Jaejoong leaned towards Yoona so he could see.

Yoona taught Jaejoong a couple of algebraic skills and Jaejoong understood. Mostly because Yoona taught him while using lollies and gave him a treat every now and then. Yoona was surprised at how much like a child Jaejoong really was.

“…Thanks.” Jaejoong said which made Yoona smile gently.

“You’re welcome.” Yoona replied. Jaejoong quietly scoffed but Yoona heard him and her face became concerned. “What’s wrong?” asked Yoona at Jaejoong’s sudden change of attitude.

“Oh, it’s nothing. It’s just that my parents have always wanted me to be in advanced classes. And yet, I need to be taught using lollies like an 8 year old.” Jaejoong explained in a slightly depressing manner.

“I’m sure they still love you.” Yoona said in a comforting tone. Jaejoong smiled.

“Do your parents like that you’re smart?” asked Jaejoong which made Yoona’s expression falter.

“Umm….well…. my parents aren’t exactly…. a-alive.” Yoona stuttered. Jaejoong noticed that Yoona’s eyes were turning red so he figured that he hit a sore spot.

“Um, I’m sorry for asking if it was offensive.” Jaejoong said uneasily.

“Oh, no. You don’t need to apologize. It’s not your fault.” Yoona said as she wiped her eyes. The school bell rang and Yoona’s hand went for the pencil on her desk. But then, when she grabbed her pencil, she felt another hand on top of hers. She looked up and saw Jaejoong staring at their hands stacked on top of each other. Jaejoong’s hand felt warmer than Yoona thought it would be, and the moment their hands touched felt like forever. Yoona felt like there was a zap of electricity running through her body, and so did Jaejoong. Yoona heard Jaejoong gulp nervously.

“Uh, sorry. I thought this was my pencil.” Jaejoong apologized awkwardly as he gently removed his hand from the top of Yoona’s. Yoona took her pencil and placed it inside her pencil case. As Yoona was packing up her books, she glanced briefly at Jaejoong. Jaejoong’s face began to redden and so did hers. Yoona tried to hide the blush appearing on her face as she looked away from Jaejoong and stood up from the chair.

“Bye, Jaejoong. It was an honour teaching you.” Yoona said as she politely bowed and exited the classroom.

“See you later, my tutor…” Jaejoong said as he watched Yoona leave the classroom. “…Yoona.” Jaejoong said her name again. Yoona. I will always remember this name. Jaejoong thought as he turned around and continued packing up his things.

Meanwhile, two pairs of eyes were watching them from under the teacher’s front desk. And they were NOT happy with what was going on in the classroom.

“Min Young, did you just see that?!” asked Shin Hye in a hushed but excited tone while shaking her older sister’s arm furiously. Min Young snatched back her arm away from Shin Hye’s grasp as she eyed Yoona evilly.

“Yes, yes, I saw. Yoona is so stupid. She thought that a rich and gorgeous guy like Jaejoong would possibly fall for her. But now we’ll definitely prove her wrong.” Min Young said. The two sisters waited until Jaejoong left the classroom before they stood up from under the teacher’s desk. As they got up from under the table, the classroom lights illuminated their faces which already had too much makeup on, making their faces look even fouler.

“So what do we do about our bratty step sister?” asked Shin Hye. Min Young fixed a glare at her younger sister’s annoyance.

“I have a plan…” Min Young said deviously. The two sisters giggled cunningly as they fixed their perfect dyed hair. They strutted out of the classroom like two super models prancing up and down a run-way fashion show with a cold breeze passing by as they left.

Woohooo!!!! To rushpynatchocolate, if you need to make it shorter, don't include the bit with the step sisters. Anyway, I hope you guys can subscribe and comment!!! ^_^