Final

You know I love you, right?

September 7th, 2014

“Don’t forget your wallet.”

Luhan had woken up late. Scrambling to pack in time to not miss his flight he had completely forgotten about his wallet. It was a good thing he had Minseok, because Minseok never forgot about things like that.

“Thanks.” Luhan grabbed his wallet from Minseok’s outstretched hand.

“Call me when you get there, okay.” Minseok was happy to see Luhan returning home, especially given the fact Luhan had been in dire need of rest as of late. The group’s schedules were already grueling, Luhan had a movie shoot added on top of this over the last few months and it was obviously taking its toll on the boy.

“I will.”

“And when you see the doctor – please call me then too.” Minseok looked worried.

Luhan stopped his frantic organization of his luggage at Minseok’s words. He turned to look at Minseok.

“I will, I promise. Don’t worry Min.” With that he leaned forward and planted a kiss on the other boy’s mouth, “I am going to miss you.”

Luhan circled his arms around Minseok’s waist, pulling him into a hug. It had been a little over a year and a half since they had started dating. It had been a little over seven months since the members found out about it. The entire situation had been difficult at first – sneaking around, questioning if they should be doing any of this given their careers, given how the public would react if such news was ever made public. The society they lived in was far from understanding of homoual relationships, they would be committing career suicide if their love was ever made public.

When Luhan had thought about stopping, thought about not committing to Minseok it was made impossible. Because Minseok had told him honestly, without condition, without asking for reciprocation, a few simple words. A few words that they had shared time and time again through difficult days, through teasing each other- ‘You know I love you, right?’ But the words meant something different now, something full of love and understanding and support.

“I love you” Minseok smiled, leaning his head on Luhan’s shoulder.

A loud banging was heard from the door, signaling the manager was getting antsy.

“I love you too- make sure you don’t forget that.” Luhan emphasized the words.

Minseok nodded. He wouldn’t forget that, not ever.

September 8th, 2014

“Hello?” Minseok had barely let the second ring sound before he had the phone to his ear. He was at his family’s house for the Chusoek holiday. His sister was busy charming their parents, so busy they didn’t pay him any mind when he grabbed his phone and stepped into the other room.

“They said I need to rest”

“What is it?!” Minseok was alarmed. All sorts of thoughts went through his head – cancer, some genetic illness.

“The doctor said it is exhaustion, migraines, insomnia. My counts were off too. But he said with rest I will be better. “Luhan tried to sound reassuring because he knew Minseok would worry. But he had to tell it like it is.

“Rest then!” Minseok’s voice was thrown into a higher octave, Luhan knew it as his scolding voice, “Or I will fly to China and lock you in your room!”

“I like the sound of that...” Luhan laughed.

Minseok sighed. Sometimes it really was hard to be in love with Luhan, always eager Luhan.

“Don’t make me come over there.” Minseok teased.

“I know, I know. Now let’s see how the company deals with it.”

Minseok could sense how worried Luhan was about how their entertainment agency would take the news.

“They have to deal with it, they don’t have a choice.”

“Yeah, they do.” Luhan responded quietly.

September 11th, 2014

Minseok read Luhan’s Weibo update about his health, about missing the next concert dates, as soon as it was posted. It Luhan had to do it, but without making the statement there was serious doubt that SM Entertainment would let him rest. It made Minseok angry, but it wasn’t unexpected. He knew what SM was like, and it was a horrible trade off. They were powerful, they could insure fame, but there was a price. Signing a contract with them meant a certain rise to fame, with an eventual monetary payout. But they were rigid, inflexible, and sometimes downright wrong.

Before Minseok closed his laptop he added a comment to the post using an account he had set up months ago – after Luhan had did the same. It was a game they played, commenting on each other’s posts or articles about each other. It was a secret they shared.

He typed it out carefully, smiling as he hit submit.

Lu-ge, get well soon! You know I love you, right?

September 19th, 2014

“You missed me that much, huh?” Minseok was exhausted, panting. He and Luhan were a tangle of arms and legs, a comforter pulled up over their heads to seal off their little world.

“Yep.” Luhan planted another kiss on his lover.

“How are you feeling?” Minseok knew Luhan wasn’t well. Hell, his stamina during was even depleted. He would have argued with Lu about having at all – but he didn’t have a chance. As soon as the two of them were in their hotel room, the door locked, Luhan had jumped him.

“Good, since you are here now.” Luhan answered groggily, his eyes closed.

“If you need help during the concert tomorrow, just say the word.”

“Pshht. I’ll be fine Min. Now let’s go to sleep.” Luhan s his arms around Minseok, pulling him tightly to him. It felt good to be back together, even if it was for only a few days.

September 27th, 2014

“I don’t think I have a choice any more, Min.”

Minseok stared at the screen, taking in Luhan’s tired eyes. His skin was flushed, his eyes swollen.

“I am so, so sorry.” Luhan started crying, which made Minseok want to cry too. “I can’t come back.”

Minseok knew that his words would be the deciding factor in everything. In this relationship. In them.

“That’s okay, Lu. I understand.” Minseok answered this way because he did understand. He hadn’t been by Luhan’s side for the last few years without understanding – without knowing how things might end up.

“You do?” Luhan stopped crying to stare back in confusion. He hadn’t anticipated Minseok understanding so quickly.

“Yeah, because no matter what you do, no matter where you work, I still love you. You know that, right?” Minseok smiled that lopsided grin. “I just want you to be healthy, Lu.”

“God, I love you Minseok. So, so much.”

October 10th, 2014

The news broke that morning – Luhan filed suit to terminate his contract with SM Entertainment. The members were surprisingly calm about it, they had known for a while – being the second to know after Luhan had told Minseok. Yixing even took to social media to show his support.

Minseok turned off his computer, not ready to read the hateful comments that were sure to be directed at his boyfriend. Instead he decided it was a great morning to enjoy a cup of coffee and a book. He was engrossed in his distraction when the manager came into the room, holding a wrapped bundle.

It took a moment for Minseok to figure out what that bundle was.

“Here you go, you lovesick fool.” The manager liked to tease Minseok and Luhan about their googly eyes at each other, their love declarations. He made a show of pretending to vomit as he handed off the package and retreated from the room.

It was bouquet of flowers, beautiful yellows and oranges and white and purples. Minseok found the attached card.

You know I love you, right?

Minseok muttered to himself, a few words about Luhan being an idiot but a cute one. He found a vase for the flowers, arranging them nicely. He stared at them for a few minutes, the smile never leaving his face.

November 1st, 2014

It had been too long since they had been next to each other. Sure, there was daily video chats and text messages to fill the void. But it was different being able to touch each other, to hug each other.

Minseok had been in Beijing for work, which was amazing. Because a certain deer was waiting for him.

They spent the night together, watching old soccer matches, kissing, laughing, and enjoying. When it came time to say goodbye they promised to see each other again soon.

December 25th, 2014

The flight back from Japan had been a bumpy one. Minseok was tired, so tired he didn’t even really let the fact it was Christmas sink in. When he got back to the dorms his first thought was to take a shower and get some sleep. While the younger members were busy tearing through the dorm with excited Christmas cheer, Minseok was prepared to get a few hours of shut eye and exude his Christmas cheer later.

He had bought his parents and his sister presents, but they would be delivered tomorrow when he went to see them. He had sent Luhan a present too, but he wasn’t sure if it had been delivered. He was sure when it was he would have a phone call.

He found it a bit odd he hadn’t received anything from Luhan though. Luhan was generous with presents, especially when it came to Minseok.

“Minseok – I need to talk to you.”

Of course one of the managers would ruin his plans of a few hours of sleep. Still, Minseok was never one to show a lack of respect so he went to talk to the manager hyung without complaint.

“I need to go to the company and pick up the latest proofs, you want to come along?”

“Sure hyung.” Minseok knew his manager had a reason for asking so he just went with it. He could always sleep in the car on the ride over any way.

So when they reached the underground parking and the manager did something confusing – smiled, waved, and took the elevator back up to their dorms – Minseok was lost. That is until a sports car pulled up, rolling down the window.

Minseok squinted to see who was driving the thing, half fearing it was a crazy fan.

“Hey handsome, need a ride?”

It was Luhan.

“No, I was just going back upstairs.” Minseok made a move towards the elevator.

“Hey! Yah! You know I love you, right?” Luhan yelled, making Minseok stop in his tracks. He supposed he should go easy on his boyfriend. Now was not the time for teasing. It was Christmas after all.

March 26th, 2015

It was Minseok’s birthday. It was also the day he found himself standing in a garden in Beijing, the world swirling around him. He had managed to take a flight without being noticed, a huge feat given how closely his movements were watched. But Luhan had managed it, and now they were together again.

It was Minseok’s birthday. It was also the day he received a ring, a silver band with a tiny inscription on the inside.

It was Minseok’s birthday. It was also the day he became engaged.

“I know it isn’t legal, but I want to marry you. Even if we just live together forever, even if…Minseok, marriage isn’t about legality. Daminit I just…when we can, I want us to be married. To live together.”

Minseok had said yes. A thousand times yes.

The inscription on the ring was “You know I love you, right?”

May 15th, 2022

The announcement had come out. It was funny to think that five years ago, ten years ago, such a thing would have shot up the real time search lists. A weeping sea of girls would have been sitting at their computers, declaring their heartbreak. But now those girls were women, mothers, wives. And now it wasn’t that important that a member of Exo was quitting.

Minseok had told the members before he went into the military that he was probably not returning when he ended his compulsory service. And they had supported him, known he would probably be the first of them to settle down and give up the celebrity life.

As the news was discussed here and there, in fan cafes and mentioned briefly on the news, Minseok was busy. Very busy. He had a house to decorate, a new home to call his own.

It was an easy decision to move to Beijing, because Luhan was there. And that is where their married life, legal or not, was going to begin.

As Minseok flipped through pattern samples, he scratched his head in confusion. How hard was it to make everything look clean and put together? Apparently pretty hard, he had never had to decorate a house after all.

He was so engrossed in the book he failed to hear Luhan come back home. He failed to notice him standing over him that was until he cleared his throat.

“Coffee?” Luhan held two expressos up with a smile.

“Yes! Please, save me from this hell.” Minseok took the offered coffee, pointing at the book in disgust.

“Should we just paint everything blue?” Luhan laughed, having given up a long time ago on decorating his apartment. But now that Minseok had moved in it seemed like they should do something with the place. With their place.

“Mmm, how about we just leave everything white?” Minseok mused, “Cleaner that way.”

“Right, cleaner.” Luhan took a sip of coffee. He sat down next to Minseok on the couch and cuddled in close.

“Or maybe we just cover everything with ugly carpeting and cheesy picture of us so no one ever visits.” Minseok smiled.

“I like that idea!” Luhan laughed.

“I thought you would. So how is the script reading going?”

“Good. Can’t say I am thrilled with how slow it is taking everyone to learn their lines, but that’s life.” Luhan’s acting career had taken off in the last six years. Now he was taking part in directing his first film.

“Well, we can’t all be as talented as the amazing Luhan.” Minseok .

“Hey! I didn’t say that!”

“You implied it.” Minseok reached out a hand and ruffled Luhan’s hair.

“That is not fair! Now I regret giving you that coffee!”

Minseok laughed, taking a sip of the regretful drink for effect.

“Hey Luhan, you know I love you, right?”