Chapter 9

The Pianist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

My fingers dug into the wooden pole of my bed as Clara tightened the dark red corset, my ribs compacted together restricting air from my lungs and I felt the usual discomfort that comes from the corset tightening around my torso.

 

I lifted myself up as Clara buttoned the crimson waistcoat around my corset; carefully she sewed the matching sleeves on the waistcoat taking extra care not to stab me with the pin and lastly I slipped into the crimson skirt, covering the pannier. I looked at my reflection in the full-length mirror; the crimson dress flattered every part of my body, the pannier made the skirt flow out, the corset hugged at my small waist and the colour of crimson brought out my dark green eyes and cream-colored skin. I smiled at the reflection and brought the red and gold mask to my face, the large red and pink feathers made the outfit prefect, the white diamond and ruby jewelry sparkled as I turned my body in various angles to capture the light.

 

 I leaned on Clara as I carefully slipped into the crimson silk shoes, the patterns of blossoming roses etched themselves in the material and a large silver buckle with white and red stones ordained the shoes. 

I gracefully stepped outside, the warm summer air lightly caressed my cheek and bright stars littered the night sky like a million fireflies.

 

 I looked at the carriage as it pulled in front of my home, the brown and white horses stamped their hooves on the cobble and the footman jumped from the front seat of carriage and opened the door before me. I nodded my head in a show of gratitude as he took my hand to help my up into the carriage, sitting myself comfortably the carriage jerked forward signaling that it was moving.

 

 I leaned my head against the window as the hooves created a rhythmic sound, making my eyelids and body heavy. 

The carriage jerked forward, my eyes snapping open immediately as the footman opened the carriage door, I walked out seeing that my family’s home decorated and lit by oil lamps.

 

Quietly I entered the place where I was born, not much had changed over the years, the furniture still looked brand new, the chandeliers dangled precariously from the ceiling and the paintings on the walls still hung.

 

 The only thing that had changed was the color of the wallpaper, which was now a beautiful dark blue and white with humming birds ling at the nectar of a flower. I could hear the lively chatting and music in the ballroom, the so

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter