tHE beGINNING

The Assassin and The Strawberry

A little girl ran along a street in Karakura town, her long white hair blowing out behind her. She clutched a paper in her hand. She was running happily back to her home.

Aimer had scored a hundred on her English exam and she wanted her parents to see it. Mama and Papa are going to be so proud! she thought as her big gray eyes shined excitedly.

Her home came into sight, making Aimer to pick up her speed, her school bag bouncing on her back. She reached the door and threw it open.

"Mama! Papa! I'm home!" Aimer called happily.

She waited for her parents' replies but all she heard was silence. Aren't they at home? the little girl thought. She climbed up the stairs and walked towards her parents' room. The door was opened slightly. Reaching out her hand, Aimer took a step forward.

Splash!

"Wha..." Aimer looked down. She had stepped into a red puddle. Her eyes widened. "M-Mama! Papa!" Aimer slammed the door open and immediately froze at the sight in front of her. Before she could scream, a pair of rough hands covered .

"Shut up!" said a gruff voice.

Several people stepped out from the shadow and stood around the dead bodies of Aimer's parents. They were all dressed in the same way: a black kimono-like outfit with a sword at one side. Except for one.

He had shoulder-length black hair and cold eyes. He wore a flowing white coat with the number 六 on it at the back. Slowly, he drew his sword and placed it against Aimer's throat.

"We mustn't leave anyone alive," said the man. He looked down at Aimer. She was shaking from fear, her eyes filled with tears. Beads of sweat travelled down her chin. The cold blade sting and she tried to control her tears.

Kuchiki Byakuya withdrew his sword and held it in a vertical position. "Scatter - "

BOOM!

A loud explosion rocked the house. A cloud of smoke filled the room. There were coughing and most of the men were shocked. "What's going on?!"

Suddenly, the shinigamis holding Aimer cried out and released their grip on her. The smoke was clearing up by now and Aimer could see a figure in front of her.

"Yo, Kuchiki-taichou!" said a cheerful voice as the smoke parted to reveal Aimer's savior.

It was a young man, most likely to be in his teens. He had spiky jet black hair and stormy grey eyes. His complexion was slightly tanned and he was tall, easily towering over Aimer. He wore a shinigami outfit with a ragged brown cape on top. His arms were wrapped with bandages and they were stained with blood. In one hand, he gripped a huge sword, its black blade glinting.

Byakuya narrowed his eyes slightly. The rest of the shinigamis yelled and rushed forward, drawing out their zanpakutous. But with one slash of his sword, all of them were defeated by the mysterious shinigami. Blood splattered onto the floor.

"Who are you?" Byakuya asked coldly as he gripped his sword.

The young man grinned. "You don't remember me, taichou? I'm so hurt."

Byakuya's eyes then widened slightly. "Don't tell me you are... the recently exiled shinigami, Tetsuya Noah."

Noah winked. "Bingo!"

Aimer looked up at him, shocked. "Tetsuya...? Then, you are...!"

"Yup," Noah said with a small smile. "I'm your onii-chan. And I've come to save you, little sis."

Aimer's eyes widened. "My... brother?"

"So it is you, Tetsuya Noah." Byakuya took a step forward. "You've come to save your family? It's too late now. They're dead."

Noah smirked. "I can see that. But, don't you know? As long as one member of the Tetsuya clan lives, Soul Society can be under our control again..." He narrowed his eyes. "Like how it used to be."

"Hm. Are you underestimating me, Noah?" Byakuya readied his sword. "I know that, of course. That's why... I'm going to kill both of you."

Aimer gasped and gripped Noah's cape. He patted her head and pushed her behind his back. "It's okay," Noah said. "I'll... protect you!"

Suddenly, shinigamis started pouring into the room. All of them had their zanpakutous drawn. Aimer caught a few faces and she felt their reiatsu. 'They... they're stronger than the last ones.'

"Tsk! Looks like the higher class shinigamis arrived." Noah grinned. "Sorry, but I have no time to deal with all of you." Then, he swiftly picked up Aimer and jumped out of the nearby window.

Aimer cried out in surprise as Noah landed gently on the ground. The little girl was dazed and she looked up to see the shinigamis following them.

"Onii-chan!" Aimer said. "They're behind!"

Noah swore under his breath and threw Aimer over his shoulder. "Hold on tight!" he yelled and started running.
So... so fast! Aimer thought as their surroundings turned blurry. A few shinigamis appeared in front of Noah and he easily took them down. Aimer clutched her brother's back as Noah picked up his speed.

"Damn!" Noah said angrily as he continued slicing down anyone in his path. "They're persistent!" Then, he gritted his teeth. "Guess I'll have to use it..." Noah reached into a pocket and pulled out a snow-white orb.

"Wha... what's that?" Aimer asked as the orb shone in her brother's hand.

"This?" Noah smiled. "Watch and learn, little sis. One day, you'll have to use it." He then switched his hold on Aimer so that she was under his arm.

Noah threw the orb onto the ground and it smashed into a million pieces. A blast of wind exploded and everyone was thrown back. Then, a shimmering blue portal appeared where the orb was thrown. Without hesitation, Noah leaped into the portal and the two siblings vanished just as the portal closed behind them.