Chapter 13

One Night Surprise

"Yue Jie," a thin, yet powerful voice called her name, causing her to look up. It was Kim Jongdae, Junmyeon's PA. Her friendship with Kim Jongdae started quite unexpectedly in the cafeteria. According to Cecilia, if the superiors don't get along, the PAs don't either or so that was the problem between Cecilia and Jongdae. She said it was a preconceived nothing that if the superiors don't get along well, the underlings don't. Yifan and Junmyeon were frenemy. They would talk to each other formally as if they are close, but both of them are extremely competitive, trying to win each other over, with their eyes set on the CEO chair.

Jongdae, or so how Yue addresses him as 'smiley boy', is a nice person, which confuses Yue about why Cecilia wouldn't get along well with him. They first met whenever they had to meet each other at internal meetings. Jongdae's smile is really pleasant to look at; with the corner of lips turning over and his eyes closing into little slit. As soon as they first met, they both would smile at each other, unlike their superiors, who would give each other cold stares upon encounter. He first spoke to her at one of the recent internal meetings. They both hit it off and became friends. Since then, they would visit each other's office booth whenever they had to deliver paperworks to sign.

~~~

"Yue Jie~~" he leaned over at her desk when he was delivering the merger files that had just been signed by Junmyeon, awaiting for Yifan's signature.

"Mmmmm? Jongdae?" she continued typing on her computer, without looking up. 

"How is it like working for Mr.Wu?" 

"It's the same as working for Mr.Kim?" she answered, feeling slightly amused. Jongdae pouted slightly, "but you and Mr.Wu seem to get along really well." 

"You think we get along well?" Yue asked, surprised at the question she just got. While she doesn't agree with the fact that she and Yifan have nothing more than a superior and his underling relationship, a lot of people in the company have started to claim that their bond is something they aspire to achieve with their counterparts, which surprised her to no end. 

Jongdae laughed, "Jie, don't deny it. You two have a really good, if not the best, relationship within the company." Yue chuckled, "Right," she playfully rolled her eyes, as she was compiling the papers to send it back with Jongdae, a stranger entered. 

"Hello, best PA!" Yue glanced at the entrace to see Luhan, which came as a surprise. "Mr.Lu, please. I am not the best PA." 

"Cheh," Luhan snickered, "still, you're the best I've ever came across. Where is Yifan?" he peered through the glass windows and asked when he didn't see Yifan. 

"Mr.Wu had to go to Mr.Lee's office for a meeting." 

"Father-in-law wants to see the son-in-law, I see" Luhan chortled a laugh as he swung his leg to lean on her desk, as usual. "What brought you to Shanghai, Mr.Lu?" she asked. He gave her an eyebrow raise, with his forehead wrinkling. Yue blinked at him, lost and confused, until she remembered. 

"I mean, Luhan... sir," she added. He laughed at her, "It'll still take time for you to call me by my name. It's okay." 

"I'm here to meet Mr.Lee as well. I need to talk to him about-" 

"Stephanie, I know," a deep voice entered, causing everyon in the office to jump slightly. It was Yifan, holding a foler in his hand. 

"What do you mean 'Stephanie'?" Luhan frowned. "Don't deny it, man. I saw your goo-goo eyes at her at the company's annual staff party last year," Yifan teased, causing everyone, including Jongdae, who was on verge of tears as he laughed at Yifan's joke. "Yue Jie, I need to go," Jongdae added, "I really shouldn't stick around for too long. Mr.Kim will probably kill me." 

"Yes, he would," Yifan added with a straight face, "run as fast as you can." 

"You got it, Mr.Wu," Jongdae clicked his tongue and pointed his finger at Yifan playfully as he exited the office cubicle. 

"Way to go, man," Luhan continued to talk, "now Kim's minion know about your own little private joke." Yifan laughed, "Come on, it's just a joke. Plus, you really do have goo-goo eyes when you look at her. Creeps me out all the time." Luhan reached for Yifan's arm and punched playfully. 

"Now that you're out of his office, time for me to go to him," Luhan announced, fixing his tie and shirt, "I'll see you soon, Miss Wang. Don't forget my offer to move into my office, okay?" he winked at her with a mischievious grin as he left. 

As soon as Luhan was out of his sight, Yifan tapped on her desk for her attention, "Miss Wang, I am very serious. If he pays you more, I'll pay you double of what he offers." She gave him a suspicious look, "Even if it's going to be like $10,000 per month?" He laughed, "Maybe!" and headed straight into the office. 

~~~