Chapter 12

One Night Surprise

"Oh," Yifan's surprised voice came out as he saw Yue at her desk , "you're back?" she looked up from filing the papers into the files. She smiled and nodded, "Your long black is on the desk, with a slice of lemon," she reminded. He chuckled and said his thanks before he entered his office territory. 

When Yue recovered from her cold, she had missed 1 week worth of job and it finally piled up in front of her very eyes. Yifan has left a lot of paperworks unsigned and his schedule during the past week was out of whack. It scattered around everywhere, causing Yue to slightly raise her eyebrows at the ineffectiveness of it all. She smiled at the thought of her boss scurrying through top to the bottom floor when she saw that the substitute PA had scheduled one meetings at 32nd floor while having another meeting at 3rd floor next. 

"Miss Wang?" an unfamiliar girl entered the office space, holding an envelope, "Mr.Lee sent an internal message for you." 

"Mr.Lee?" she echoed, wondering who he was, as she took the enveloped opener on the desk and ripped the envelope to reveal a letter. As her eyes skimmed through the letter, she realized that it was a summon for her to go and see him. If she had understood how the internal papers works within the company, physical letters are the most important, effectively immediately. Yue was stunned, while holding the letter in her hand as she was standing on the spot. She didn't know how long she was standing there until the letter was snatched away from her. 

"What's this?" Yifan asked, his eyes scrolled through the sheet of paper. His facial expressions changed as he scanned past each and every word, "Yue..." his voice drawled out, "you know what. Come with me," he gestured her to follow him, which she denied. "Mr.Wu." She called out his name firmly. He looked back, "I believe Mr.Lee just wanted to see me." 

"But.." 

"It's okay, Mr.Wu. Please let me handle my own business. I think I can manage," she spoke out. Yifan looked taken aback but he smiled and nodded, "if you have any problem, don't hesitate to talk to me." 

Yue nodded. 

~~~ 

The time to meet Mr.Lee arrived faster than Yue anticipated. She didn't know how she felt about this. A part of her was scared, for she had declared war with the company's princess, Stephanie Lee. Another part of her was confident at the fact that she believes she did not step over her boundaries. 

Knock~knock~ 

"Mr.Lee?" Yue knocked on the door after his PA approved of her arrival, "do you mind if I come in?" 

"Come in," a voice appeared from behind the door. Yue opened the door as gently as she could and stepped into the office. The biggest contrast from this office to Yifan's office is the amount of sunlight and huge panels of glass windows, the size of a human, which looks over the city. In front of the window sat Mr.Lee, the chairman of the company.

"Good morning, Mr.Lee," she greeted and bowed slightly as a form of respect.

"Ah, Miss Wang. Please, please, come in," he replied. Yue was confused at his reply since she was already in his office but she shifted on her spot a little to make it seem like she listened to him.

"I got an internal message from you today, Mr.Lee."

"Yes. I was planning to see you a few days back you were away unfortunately. How is your cold? Getting better?" Mr.Lee put down his pen and put his fingers together on the desk. Yue nodded and replied, "So much better. Thank you for asking, Mr.Lee." 

Mr.Lee asked, "Glad to here," he paused, "so, I heard from my daughter that you two got into a disagreement the other day." 

'So, that's why you're planning to see me,' Yue's stomach stooped low, with a slight fear of getting fired. Nevertheless, she gathered all the courage in every single nerve fibre of hers and replied, "Yes, sir. We did, indeed, ran into a bit of a rough patch." 

"Why though?"

"She was trying to intrude into Mr.Wu's office while he is working and I was specifically ordered to not let anyone enter his office. That's why I had to do it, Mr.Lee." 

"Interesting..." he tapped his fingers simultaneously, like playing a piano, but against each other, "did she not tell you that she is related to me?" 

"She did, sir," Yue nodded and brace herself to look at Mr.Lee in the eyes. 

"But you didn't let her in?" 

"No, sir. She is not my immediate boss nor someone who is included in the company's hierarchy chart. Why would I listen to someone else, who just appeared from nowhere, claiming to be your daughter, when my immediate boss' order is clearly there? In addition to that, he was working on company's projects where every seconds matter." 

Yue poured out everything she was thinking, with a slight fear of being reprimanded, awaiting for the response from Mr.Lee. To her surprise, Mr.Lee's eyes started to crinkle with a smile. He chuckled, "I have never had someone who is so insistent on her own right and who listens so well to her immediate boss," he looked at her, "you see, my daughter has developed into a bad habit of bursting into Yifan's office becaue she had known him since she was very young." Yue looked at him, round eyes, not believing her ears that Mr.Lee is talking to her in such a friendly tone, "Being my daughter, she gets let off things easily. You're probably the 2nd person who has told her off like that, the first being her nanny."

Yue smiled awkwardly at him. Mr.Lee continued to talk, "Thank you." She blinked, 'what?' She stared at Mr.Lee with her head tilting to the side. He laughed, "thank you. I think my daughter needed someone like that to tell her off in the company. There was Cecilia but she was more like Stephanie's puppet." Yue laughed. 

"Now that I have heard everything," he resumed, "you are dismissed. Thank you for coming in." 

Yue bowed a little, "then, I will be going, Mr.Lee. I hope you have a nice day." 

"I will do. Thank you," he picked up his pen and dismissed her with a gentle wave of his hand. As Yue reached for the door handle of his office door, "Miss Wang," Mr.Lee called her, "I believe that the one who forgives has a bigger hear. I hope you have a bigger heart," he smiled at her. Yue looked at him and she saw a caring father in his eyes. She nodded, "don't worry Mr.Lee, I do not hold grudges." 

He smiled, "but please do let her in occassionally. It's very noisy in my office if she couldn't get into Mr.Wu's office." Yue laughed, "of course, Mr.Lee. I will do so when Mr.Wu doesn't have important projects to work on." 

Yue left Mr.Lee's office and returned to her desk with shaky knees, barely making to it with a straight composure. As soon as she got to her desk, she plopped herself on the swivel chair, feeling completely drained. Her heart was beating fast from the fear she just suffered in Mr.Lee's office, but it almost leaped out of her ribcage when the intercom on her desk bleeped.

"Miss Wang?" a familiar voice appeared. She looked into Yifan's office to see him grinning at her, "Can you please come into my office for a while?"

Yue sighed and stepped into his office, her mind still stirred and unsettled, "Mr.Wu," she called him, "I'm here." 

"Ah, yes," he clapped his hands gently, which made Yue noticed that he has massive palms for the first time, "I was wondering how did things go in Mr.Lee's office?" Yue threw her head back and laughed slightly, "really? Mr.Wu? You want to know that?" 

"I demand to know. Your superior is speaking. Spill," he put his elbows on the desk, "feel free to sit on the chair in front of me if you don't mind." Yue pulled out a chair and sat on it before she explained everything to him. 

Yifan rubbed his neck a little and tilted his head as she finished her story, "I know Mr.Lee is nice but I never knew he'd be this nice." 

"Well, now I have to let the girl in when she's here," Yue told him. 

"Oh bugger," he whined, "all she does is be noisy in my office and I hate noise." 

"Mr.Wu," Yue insisted, "I make noises as well. I pretty much remind you ever 20 minutes about your schedule and days." He looked into her eyes, "I seriously don't mind that. It has became a norm that I kind of anticipate your voice coming out of that intercom. Actually, I kind of miss it when you were sick." 

Yue chuckled as she nodded, "Well, Stephanie is a pretty girl. Maybe you might want to treat her nice since she's interested in you. Aim high, Mr.Wu. You might just be the next CEO," she joked.

Yifan's smile fell and became solemn. He looked away, "I don't want to do that," he reverted his gaze back to her direction, "besides, why would I be interested in Stephanie when I'm interested in another girl?"

His last sentence stunned Yue and she could feel a blush creeping across her face, but she regained her composure by thinking that he could also mean other girl beside her. She laughed, and nodded to brush it away. Afterwards, she excused herself from his office saying she needed to send paperworks to different departments. As she was about to leave his office, Yifan stopped her by calling her name.

"Miss Wang," she turned her head back to look at him, "I am really, really glad that you're my personal assistant."

~~~