Chapter 15

One Night Surprise

"Mister.. Mr.Wu?" Yue stuttered at the sight of her boss. As he found her eyes, his eyes crinkled into a smile, "Miss Wang! What a surprise to see you here!" he gleefully spoke, "You like ballet?" For an unknown reason, Yue's heart was beating with part panic, part guilt. She grinned unnaturally, "Yeah..." 

"You're the male lead from 'The Nutcracker'!" Yifan saw Jongin and exclaimed, while shifting his eyes between Yue and Jongin, "wonderful performance! Breathtaking!" he let out a praise. Jongin chuckled and thanked Yifan. "You guys know each other?" Yifan asked Yue. Before Yue could answer, Jongin stepped in "We're on a date," and looked at Yue, who blushed with a shade of scarlet. 

"Oh..." Yifan exclaimed, "I never knew you have a boyfriend, Miss Wang." Yue smiled uncomfortably, and nodded. He continued, "Wu Yifan, I work in the same company as her." Jongin smiled and took his hand, "Kim Jongin, the ballerino." Both men laughed at the end of Jongin's short, precise introduction. "Right," Yifan resumed, "I'll leave you two alone, I have to go meet my colleagues over there," he pointed at a group of well-dressed people, and bowed before he left the couple. 

Yue and Jongin awkward exchanged glances before they headed out to the restaurant, where he reserved a table for both of them. Along the way, they didn't speak to each other, lost in thoughts, alighted after meeting Wu Yifan. However, the awkwardness dissolved away as the dinner progressed, which they spent, talking about their interests. 

"Yue..." Jongin cut off the conversation when they were talking about his dance trainee years. He cleared his throat, "I'm not sure whether it has been quite obvious but I really like you." Yue bit her lips slightly. Even though she knew that she would have to face this conversation someday, she was not ready for it, yet. 

Jongin continued, "I know I might be rushing things, but I really, really, really like you. And I'd really like to get together with you in a serious relationship, if you would be ready for one. So..." he stopped talking.

"So?" Yue tried to continue his sentence. 

"Would it be okay if you think about seriously get together with me and please let me know what you feel about me?" 

Yue nodded. 

~~~ 

"Ow~ow~owwh"

"What happened to your leg, Mr.Wu?" Yue asked in a surprised voice as Yifan limped into the office. He replied with a poker face, "Major credits go to your heels. How tall are they? 10cm?" Yue giggled, "I'm so sorry," she walked over to him and lifted his underarm, making him lean onto her, "actually, those are 12cm. I need my height," causing him to laugh a little before wincing from pain. 

"I'm going to have to bother you today, Miss Wang," Yifan announced as he sat on his leather swivel chair in his office. She gave him a surprised glance. "My feet hurt quite a bit so I don't think I can go to meetings today." 

Yue's face fell, "But, Mr.Wu...You have 7 meetings lined up today, back to back. How do I cancel everything at the last minute and the merger is coming up very soon..." Yifan nodded slowly, "I know. That's why I am going to have to bother you." She frowned at his statement, "Mr.Wu, please make it clear for me. I don't think my IQ is on par with your mysteriousness." 

"You," he pointed, "are going to those meetings in my place." Yue blinked in confusion, "I still don't see how that works sir." Yifan held up his hand, "Please listen until I finish my setence, Miss Wang. You are going to carry my tablet and go to all of the meetings while I sit here with my computer. Video conference meeting is the only solution I can come up with." 

"But who is going to take my place?" 

"That," he clicked his tongue, "You'll have your mobile phone with you, won't you?" 

"Off you go," he announced as he gently pushed a tablet towards her on the table, "take this, my little PA. I hope you have fun being with the virtual me." Yue let out a small chuckle and took the tablet, "Then, I'll be going, my big boss. You too, have fun staying in the office and take care." 

~~~

Being with virtual Yifan on a tablet for the whole day was a weird feeling for Yue. For the whole day, she weaved in and out of meeting rooms, holding a tablet in her hand and a folder in the other. A lot of people were not used to the sight of seeing her with a tablet in her hand, without Yifan. Similar she felt the same. She felt empty in the meeting room as she didn't have Yifan turning his head to the side and whispering instruction to her in a much more muted voice than his normal speaking tone. 

At the end of the day, she was on the verge of passing out from exhaustion on the backseat of Yifan's car, which he generously gave her the permission to use. She realized that she felt more tired than before was probably because she didn't make casual conversations with Yifan, with jokes and talking about trivial office stories. After she had reported to Yifan that she had done work for the day, he thanked her for the bother and dismissed her. Before he left, she had to say, "You know, it's kind of strange not talking to you while I was on way to meetings. The day felt quite barren." 

He smiled, "Now, you know how I felt when you were absent."  

~~~