Birthday Song Only.

You Wanna Bet? [Hiatus]

 

Everything was going great. I was always with Junhyung, he was always with me. I wanted it to stay like this forever but I knew this was too good to be true. A week before my eleventh birthday Junhyung’s mother wanted to go aboard. Their family was an agriculture business and now that his father’s business was expanding, they were setting out west. It was devastating. I couldn’t stand it. I didn’t even tell him good bye the day he left. From then on I stopped singing. I didn’t even listen to music again. I’m once again in this world alone. I cried my heart out that night and held on tight to what Junhyung gave me before he left. A lucky rabbit’s foot; I laugh at the sight of it, but it’s now a distant memory. He had one and so did I. He told me to keep it with me at all times. so I won’t be hurt. Junhyung said that he will come back for me no matter what. I never knew, he came back they way he did.

[Eight Years Later]
“Yeon Yi!!! You forgot to take my plate!”

“Oh, sorry!” She shouts back to the whining costumer and rushes over.

“My gosh, are you always this clumsy?” The fat lady says. Yeon Yi just smiles back.

“I’m sorry I hope you can bear with me, Madam Geum.”

“Psh, whatever.” She says and took a big gulp of her wine. Yeon Yi rushes through the many plates this lady had finished. ‘Omgosh! This must’ve cost a fortune! All those food!’ She thought. Madam Geum was very rich in this small town. “My, my Yeon Yi!” She exclaims. “You’ve grown up so much now huh?”

“Ye?”

“I don’t think you’re a good waitress, but you might probably make a great wife for me son!” She utters some more and took another sip of her wine.

“Bwhat! Really?”

“Your thighs are very plum and your s aren’t small either. Very mother like! Very good for bearing children!” She blurts. Yeon Yi widen her eyes. ‘Am I really?’

“Very true!” A man shouts from the table next to theirs. “I’ve seen you grow to a beautiful young lady! You should get to know my son!” He adds. ‘Well, I’ve seen them sometimes at school.’ Yeon Yi nervously smiles and walk away. She put the dishes in the sink and lean against it.

“I wonder what it will be like to marry... Is it fun?” She shrug and sigh. Yeon Yi starts to wash the dishes as her aunt rushes in.

“Yeon Yi! Tomorrow I need you to go to the bank and take out all your savings.”

“Aunty again? Why?”

“My daughter wants to go on a trip with her friend in the next town. She needs the money for some ticket or something. Just do as I say ok?” Yeon Yi frowns. ‘But I’ve been saving all that money for... America...’ Aunt Yoon gave her some more dishes. “I need about $200 ok?”

“What?”

“Yes, for you and her.” She said. “I don’t want her going on those trip with only guys so if anything happens I want you to protect her.” She orders and walks out. ‘Going with only guys? How am I protection?’ After working til midnight she heads home. Good thing it wasn’t busy or else she’d be stuck at work til three. Yeon Yi strolls down the road and yawns. She massages her shoulders.
It was chilly out and dark. Besides it was December seventeen. Her birthday. Yeon Yi took another route today and stroll down that road. It was the road to her old home. To Junhyung’s home. The only song she had sang was ‘Happy Birthday.’ Yeon Yi hum it to herself and approach the crime scene. Her old home was still the same. Nothing have change. Her heart was colder than the temperature when looking at this house. She pace along the house and to the next. Now, looking at this house was a bliss. Memories come and go. Every year when she did this, the same feeling overwhelms her. “Happy Birthday Yeon Yi ah.” She sings. Suddenly, a light flickers from inside the house. Yeon Yi stops. A ghost? No human would be here now?! She gaze at the light as if to be possess. The light came closer to the front door. Closer, closer, and closer. Until... It opens. In the doorway was a tall slender figure.