Prologue

You Wanna Bet? [Hiatus]
 
I remember, the night have finally come. I was only six. Mother and I was finally going to leave daddy and start a new life. Start a happier life. Until... He beats mother again, saying we can’t leave him. Scared, mother locked me in the bathroom and told me to climb out the window. She said to go to the new neighbors that just moved into town and stay safe... I never knew that it was the last time, I’ll ever see mother again. I don’t know what happened to father, but I bet he’s still drunk where ever he is. I cried for three days and nights. Little as I was, I still knew what death was... Other then that... This was how I met Junhyung.
I stayed at their house for a week. Junhyung was a short chubby kid with huge glasses on at all times. He was two years older then me. He was so talkative, talked more then daddy when he was drunk. I didn’t talk to him for two days straight until he came up to me and handed me an ice cream. “Are you a mute?” He asked. I nodded my head no. He looked at me closely and his ice cream. “Are you Korean?” I nodded no. “I knew it. You didn’t look Korean. Then do you know how to speak Hangul?” I nodded yes. “Why don’t you talk then?” I shrug that I didn’t know why. “Are your parents Korean?” He asked. I looked at him. Hesitantly, tears flowed from my eyes. He backed away and his ice cream some more. “Why are you crying?” I bit my lips together and held my hands up to my eyes. The ice cream slowly melted onto my head. A couple of minutes later, Junhyng started laughing at me. “Hahahahah! The ice cream is on your head!” I looked at him in disbelief. He was such a rude kid! Junhyung walked over to the clothes his mother just washed and wiped the ice cream away. I stopped crying and look at him. “Don’t cry, just sing your heart out and it’ll be better.” He said.  He was sweet and calm. I remember the way his weird hairstyle covered his face.
“Junhyung!” His mother shouted from the backdoor. “What are you doing with my clean sheets?!” She stomped over and ripped it out of his hands. “Bad kid!” She spanked him.


“Umma!” He shouted. Suddenly his ice cream flopped onto the dirt. Junhyung looked down and wept. I looked at him in amazement. His mother took the sheet and dipped it into the water barrel. I stared at him and slowly giggle to myself. He was still crying. I laughed. “You meanie!” He uttered. I handed my ice cream to him and said my first word.

“Sing.”