7 - HSL

He's So Lovable [HIATUS // WRITER'S BLOCK]

Waiting for the results to come out was torturous, but it was fast. Jinhee probably waited around one hour when they put up the notice of those selected and for which parts. Imagine her joy when she saw her name at the top of the list, next to Junho’s. That was her bias, her crush she had to restrain herself from going full blown fangirling.

Next week would be the start of official practices and she couldn’t contain her excitement. There would be a total of 20 shows and the first one would be in 5 weeks. Jinhee was worried she couldn’t catch up, but Ji Young quickly assured with enough practice, she could do wonders.

Speaking of wonders, she wondered why Myungsoo demanded to meet up with her instantly. Didn’t he have to practice as well? Who knows what goes on in his head?

“Noona!” Ji Young turned and saw Junho walking towards them – Jinhee was squealing internally she guessed.

“Hey hoobae, congrats on becoming Michael! Though everyone knows that’s definitely your part no matter what”

“Ayee… I worked hard okay. Aren’t you going to introduce us noona?” Junho asked her then looked at Jinhee, eye smiling at her. Cute!

“Oh right! Mianhe! Jinhee, this is Junho. Junho, this is my baby sister Jinhee…”

“N.. Nice to meet you Junho-ssi” Jinhee greeted him awkwardly.

“I look forward to having you as my stage girlfriend, haha. Noona spoke so much about you..”

“Yah! Stop flirting with my sister!” Ji Young smacked his arm playfully.

“Ne ne arasso. You’d kill me I know. Sheesh, see you around. See you next week Jinhee!”

“Ne…”

Even though Myungsoo wanted to meet up, Jinhee headed home straight, wanting to share the good news with her parents. Finally she was going to be able to properly perform! Initially she thought once she left ANA Entertainment, she was doomed – but look at her now. And she owed it all to her sister, guess getting a little push doesn’t hurt.

“Omma! We’re ho – Oh. Myungsoo ah! When did you get here?” Jinhee walked into the living room and saw Myungsoo who was now no longer blonde talking to her dad.

“He just reached, we heard the good news. Congratulations my girl!” Her mother gave her a huge bear hug.

“Omma… Too much… Suff..ocating..”

“Let’s go out to celebrate! Care to join us Myungsoo?” Her dad asked. Myungsoo was looking dazed, Jinhee could tell something was bothering him but then he mustered up a smile and agreed to join.

Mr. Baek brought the whole lot of them out to a fancy restaurant at Ibis Hotel and Jinhee ate to her hearts’ content, no surprise there Myungsoo thought. She was extra chatty and fidgety today and it bothered him a little. Couldn’t she see he wasn’t feeling it? He didn’t feel like celebrating.

“Could I bring Jinhee out for a while?” Myungsoo suddenly asked when they were almost done.

“Of course, have fun you two!” Her mom said gleefully. She had this dream they would end up together but Jinhee always put down her hopes, saying Myungsoo only saw her as a little sister.

Myungsoo drove fast, not actually knowing where to go. Jinhee’s pleas to drive slower fell on deaf ears and she gave up, sulking all the way. This wasn’t the first time she was in this situation with him. But she usually knew what was wrong – she had no clue now. Did Se Na reject his heart or something? Myungsoo is so confusing at times.

Out of all the places in Seoul, Myungsoo decided to stop by Han River. His mind was a mess, not actually knowing what to say. Jinhee didn’t turn to look at him when they stopped, she looked mad as well. It was supposed to be a happy occasion today not a day to solve Myungsoo’s problems or conduct an anger management course for him day.

“So are you going to explain yourself or not?” Jinhee started.

“I don’t want you to do the musical” He replied quietly.

“EXCUSE ME?!”

“Don’t make me repeat myself chubs…”

“No I heard you well. But did you even hear what you just said?!”

“Come back to ANA.. I’ll talk to President Wook.. Can’t you just stay by my side?”

“I AM BY YOUR SIDE KIM MYUNGSOO! I ALWAYS HAVE AND ALWAYS WILL BE! HAVEN’T I DONE SO MUCH FOR YOU? WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?”

“I… It’s just this feeling I have… It’s bothering me…”

“Your feelings? Hah. What about mine? You know I want to do this Myungsoo. Why can’t you be supportive like how I was for you? It’s finally my time to do my own thing”

“I’m scared of losing you…” Myungsoo’s voice was starting to crack and it broke Jinhee’s heart. “I’m so used to having you 24/7 with me. I don’t think I can do well without you… Please come back Jinhee…”

“You’re being unfair Myungsoo..”

“Why are you being stubborn chubs? Is it because you think you’re actually going to have a shot with Junho?” Myungsoo spat.

“What the… Myungsoo you’re sputtering nonsense”

“You’re just like Ahreum aren’t you. Always chasing the next best thing for you. I’m just your used toy – “

“SHUT UP!” Jinhee unbuckled herself then stepped out of the car, slamming the door shut violently. How dare Myungsoo compare her to Ahreum. Asking her not to debut in a musical? What was wrong with him? She walked quickly, knowing she it was going to be a little tough to find a cab now but there was no way she was going to be in the same space as Myungsoo right now.

“Jinhee! Wait! Where do you think you’re going?!”

“DON’T FOLLOW ME JUST GO HOME MYUNGSOO OR GO TO YOON SE NA!”

“Don’t be childish!” Myungsoo caught up to her and grabbed her wrist hard. “Your mom knows you’re out with me, don’t cause trouble”

“You listen up Kim Myungsoo. I have never treated you like how Ahreum treated you. I’m doing the musical whether you like it or not, I’ve suffered enough in ANA Entertainment. Stop asking me to do more than I’m capable of. Isn’t it enough I have to chuck my feelings for you aside because you like Yoon Se Na? Everything’s always about you. When was the last time we sat and talk about my feelings huh?”

“You can’t love me Jinhee. We’re too close. I don’t feel the same way…”

“Then you can’t control what I do with my life either. I’m going. Don’t follow me. I swear I will make your nose crooked if you do..”

Myungsoo watched on as Jinhee walked away from him again, feeling a heavy tug on his heart. He most certainly ruined everything. This wasn’t how he imagined things to be. He thought Jinhee would be happy when Myungsoo told her he wanted to keep her by his side. Wasn’t that enough for her? Why did she have to have feelings for him anyway?

(5 weeks later – Grease 2 first performance)

“5 minutes guys! Standby!” The producer called out to the casts backstage.

Jinhee was putting the last touch up on her lipstick and stared at herself in the mirror. She was still adjusting to her new blonde hair but everyone else seemed to loved it, except for Myungsoo. A while back he got hospitalized due to exhaustion but she didn’t have the heart to visit. Ji Young went with their parents but Myungsoo acted like everything was okay between them.

“Nervous?” Junho suddenly came up next to her, fixing his hair. After spending a lot of time together, she liked him even more as a big brother. Junho was so caring and helpful – she tried hard to control herself. Professionalism.

“Kinda. You? Wait. Oppa has performed so many times, this is a piece of cake right? Haha”

“I’m just nervous about how your sister would react to our kiss later…”

“Ah boyaaa~ Hahahaha”

“So am I your first kiss? Hehe”

“No..” Jinhee replied quietly and Junho took it as a hint she didn’t want to talk about it anymore.

“Relax okay! You’ll do well! Hwaiting!”

-

The performance was about to start when Myungsoo dashed in, dragging Se Na along with him – who still had no idea why she agreed to accompany him. She knew about the big fight that day and she mostly knew where Jinhee was coming from but Myungsoo was not hearing any of it. To him, Jinhee was supposed to be his best bud through thick and thin but she chose her dream over him. What a y friend he was actually.

Other than that though, Myungsoo was kind of nice to her – she even chose her to write a song for his stage on A Song For You. She was careful not to lead Myungsoo on, since her heart was somewhere else & she wanted Myungsoo to realize Jinhee will always be there for him.

“You should take out your shades now” Se Na hissed as they took their seats somewhere near the front.

“Arasso. Aiishh I should’ – Oh. My. God…” Myungsoo suddenly had his mouth in an O shape.

“Jinhee’s blonde! Omo she’s so pretty!” She said gleefully and concentrated on the show, leaving Myungsoo still speechless looking at his friend.

The scene came where Myungsoo knew the kiss was going to happen and honestly he didn’t feel like watching it. Then he beat himself up, convincing they would probably just stage a fake kiss. How wrong he was when Jinhee, or rather Stephanie, boldly went up to Michael and kissed him full on the lips. Myungsoo’s heart clenched and his fists followed suit. Se Na noticed and tried not to laugh out loud. He was totally jealous.

At that moment, he had some sort of a flashback – he was lying on the bed and Jinhee’s face was up close to him. I kissed her, he panicked to himself. Then he realized he didn’t mutter out her name. Myungsoo felt guilty.

The last scene came folding in, again he knew he had to sit through the kissing scene again. Jinhee was amazing on stage, it’s like she was born on stage. Her blonde hair suited her so well and she looked comfortable being with the experienced idols. Myungsoo teared up, not knowing what he was experiencing but it felt good to see Jinhee enjoying herself though he hated how close Junho & her was.

Shouts of bravo and encore came when the casts took their bow, Myungsoo stood up as well and Se Na clapped happily – she loved every bit of the musical. She could watch it for a second time.

“Do you want to go and see her…?” Se Na asked as she saw people moving out.

“Y… Yeah… Can you – “

“It’s okay, I’ll head home first okay. Tell her I said hi and congrats on her debut!”

“Sure. Text me when you reach home okay…”

Myungsoo made his way slowly backstage, following her parents. They were surprised to see him there but happy nevertheless. He hardly came around after the big fight. Her dad welcomed him with open arms and asked about his well-being, Myungsoo missed being around her family.

“Does Jinhee know you’re here?” Mrs Baek asked.

“It’s… A surprise…” Myungsoo stammered a little.

“Alright, stay behind me then!” Ji Young said happily.

Backstage was packed with the press and families crowding around. Myungsoo still wasn’t sure how to react once she was in front of him. Sticking closely behind Ji Young, his eyes scanned the room – trying to catch a glimpse of her blonde hair. Just then he heard a familiar laugh – Jinhee’s laugh. She was across the room, still wearing her Pink Ladies jacket with Junho’s arm around her waist. He felt mad.

“Jinhee ah!” Ji Young called out to her sister and she pulled herself away from Junho. Finally, Myungsoo thought.

“Unnie!!! Omma appa!!”

“Surprise!” Ji Young said and moved aside – Myungsoo was nowhere to be found.

“What surprise unnie? Sheeesh!”

“Myung.. I.. Where..” Ji Young was dumbfounded. Where the heck did he go?!