Chapter Nine

Lego House (semi-hiatus)

                    ~엄마~

 

Today Jongin comes home only at nine.

He’s absolutely exhausted – just one look at his face when he drags himself in makes it obvious. Poor boy. These late night (all-day, actually) practices drain him, yet he insists on working as hard as possible for this Showcase.

One thing, I must say, those Teachers-In-charge --what were their names again? Lee Sooman? Kim Young Min? Well, they are mad, for straining boys like him each day. I don’t see why they couldn’t have started the practices a month back, or at least a fortnight, instead of this intense one-week practice trek.

They do this every time!

The door to Jongin’s room slams shut, making me worry about more immediate problems. The boy hasn’t had his dinner. Again.

I go to his room and knock on the door, and open it when there’s no response:

Jongin has fallen, fully clothed, on the bed, and is snoring. I feel a rush of pity for the tired soul. Carefully, I unlace his shoes and keep it by the door. There’s nothing else I can do for him. I give Jongin a final onceover, and leave, closing the door behind me.

 

~

                    ~정인~

 

With my eyes still half closed, I feel my way downstairs, nearly stumbling on the bottom step.

“Oh, Jongin, look at you~” Eomma appears out of nowhere and begins fussing around me like a mother hen, “You’re an absolute mess! Did you even have a wash last night?”

“Eomma~” I moan, walking (more rather crawling) the short distance to the table, and immediately slump down.

“Jong—” she calls again, and I wave her off, “I washed, I washed, okay? I woke up in the middle of the night and had a bath. Happy?”

 

Of course that isn’t enough for Eomma. Now she starts on food:

“Come on, eat your tteokbeokki. Last night you had nothing to eat. You need to fill that stomach of yours, especially if you’re gonna go out practicing to—”

“Eomma!” I say, sounding more awake than I was, “I’ll be fine. Stop fussing about me.” I look at Eomma as she gives in, sighs, and sits beside me. Her face looks old with worry, and I feel guilty for taxing her so much. I feel my mouth tilt as I say, “Eomma, I mean it. Don’t Worry about me.”

 

Our eyes meet, and she smiles at me, and only then do I lower my eyes to my tteokbeokki.

 

Then I look up again, realizing something.

“Where’s Kyungsoo?”

 

~

                    ~엄마~

 

I laugh at the panic written on Jongin’s face, which slowly turns into confusion at my reaction. “Did he eat already? Has he gone somewhere?”

I can’t help but smile. Jongin’s concern makes it one less worry I have left to ponder on. Though I had put up a positive attitude right throughout, from the very first day Kyungsoo had stepped into this house, I always feared he wouldn’t be accepted, especially by Jongin. Things weren’t easy, especially after that initial interaction. I was almost convinced they would never be friends, forget love each other; and when they began avoiding each other, I feared the worst. But looking at Jongin, I realize there’s nothing to worry about.

 

                ~

                    ~정인~

 

“Where is he, Eomma?” I ask again, waving my hand in front of Eomma – from the look on her face, I could say her mind was in another place.

“Oh, he went for a sleepover at his friend’s place,” Eomma smiles down at me.

     I literally choke on my food. Kyungsoo has friends? Since when did he have friends?

     Eomma frowns, and I realize I’ve said that out aloud. I gulp. “I mean,” I quickly try to correct myself, “Um…. Kyungsoo’s such a… quiet boy at school, and…. He’s always alone,” I say, “So I thought—”

     “If he’s alone, you should go keep him company,” Eomma interjects.

 

     “Eomma~” I moan, dragging my palm across my face. Trust her to turn this into some kind of moral lesson I should learn. Luckily I’ve saved from any further “morals”, for Sehun arrives, ringing the doorbell in that signature ring of his.

     I scrape my chair back, chucking a final mouthful of tteokbeokki down, and wipe my chin. “Annyeong Higyeseyo!” I wave at Eomma, sling the bag on my shoulder, and escape the house.

 

~

                    ~세훈~

 

The street is quiet as I cycle along it, after dropping Jongin back home. I had hung around town for as long as I could, buying fish-sticks when my stomach began to rumble, window shopping, browsing through the public library, doing basically anything that burnt up time: Time that I did not want to spend at home.

But there is only so long I could stay out, before a guilty unease, forever present at the back of my mind, makes me think of the additional worry I would be adding onto my parents’ already full list, and force me to return home.

 

I hear them before I see them.

Eomonie is, as always, stubbornly refusing Abeoji’s request: “No, how many times do I have to say, I’m not moving. This is my Eomma’s house, and this is my house, and I’ll be here till the day I die.”

“But Yeobo—”

“Don’t you Yeobo me, ahjussi! It’s not my problem if you can’t find a job here. For all I care…”

 

So noisy.

I just want to shut my ears and curl into a ball, but it’s not like I can do that – it’s not like they’ll ever let me:

Shoulders hunched and head bowed low, I try to enter unnoticed (Well, I should know better than to hope), but they immediately pounce on me, asking which one of them is right; whether we should stay or move – as always, trying to include me in their fight.

 

     “Leave me alone,” I growl, having got enough of their crap. This is all I’ve heard for the past three months, ever since Abeoji lost his job: Eommonie chasing Abeoji to find work in Seoul, Abeoji refusing unless the family moved out with him, Eommonie refusing to move –

     It was all so STUPID!

 

     I storm up to my room, slam the door shut, wishing I could shut out the noise that seeped in through the all too transparent walls just as easily.

 

~

                    ~엄마~

 

I am preparing Gimbap for dinner when the doorbell rings, announcing Kyungsoo’s arrival. I lower the flame and rush out to the door, and am met by a beaming Mrs Byun (who seems just as bubbly as her son) and an absolutely glowing Kyungsoo. His cheeks are bright red, and his eyes are crescents, and my, he looks like he’s on top of the world. It’s the happiest I’ve seen him.

And I am glad.

 

~

                    ~정인~

 

A steady stream of hot water falls on my head and shoulders, and I soak under, letting it loosen my aching muscles. A warm bath after a full day of practicing is heaven.

 

Kyungsoo comes home while I’m still in the shower, so I wasn’t expecting to see him when I walked out of the bathroom, neither was he expecting to see me. He was looking around, beaming and happy, and I was curious to know what he’d done, because the only expression I have ever seen on him is his wide-eyed (scared) stare – a smile can literally transform Kyungsoo’s face.

     Then he spots me, and all emotion is scrubbed off his face within a second.

     And Kyungsoo bolts.

 

     I stare after him as he closes the door to his room, my mouth slightly hanging open. I can almost see Kyungsoo panting, leaning against the shut door, looking to the sky in worry. I gulp. I don’t want this anymore – this…. This scaring Kyungsoo without even trying…. This, making him run from me if I even look his way.

     I want it to change.

     I turn away, and it is then that I realize: I have to make this change!

 

~

 

 

 

A/N:

Hey, guys! Long time no see... and that's basically my fault. See, against everyones advice I went and started a new fanfic http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/858013/four-taemin-exo-kai-chen-jongin-jongdae-chenkai (that is... if you were wondering) so.... I kinda alternate every week with this fanfic and that, like the updates. So.... yeah.

And, I'm really sorry. This times update, on top of being late, proved to be tiny as well :( And more negative news? Sehun's POVs are proving to be very angsty >_<" And... I've shown my SM anti-feels in this chapter. 

But enough of that.

On a brighter note, to all you Sehun fans out there (Yes, you, Tiacha-) Sehun's role is gonna become significantly more important. (And yes, that's thanks to you, again, Tiacha and you punishing me --long story guys, don't even ask--) And oops... I should think about introducing the other characters BECAUSE: I can finally see where this story is going!! As in, I see the end, the finishing line!! - For this, I must thank Tre (who called me Hyung, and made me realise I love being called that) --sorry, I must thank Tre's "insite" Yes. That. :D

And noona- I'm still thanking you for your efficiency with telling me like, korean food and everything :D And all you guys who comment EVERY time- Joelii, River, TY9PM_lover (Noona, and Tiacha, yall go without saying) THANKYOUUUU I LOU COMMENTS!!!! (btw, that was a major hint, silent readers! ;D But I love yall too, because yall read, and subscribers too <3

 

Okay, jinjja- WHAT am I trying to do: write an essay of an A/N to make up for the short chapter?? >_<" I know- That's NOT what yall want.

*burst into song* IM SO SORRY BUT I LOVE YOu ka...something in korean- I will learn the words oneday....