Chapter Two

Lego House (semi-hiatus)

           ~종인~

 

My arms are crossed as I glare down the stair from the landing.

“Come on down, Jongin!” Eomma urges, “Your Hyung is here”

 

Does she know how ridiculous she sounds? My Hyung is here?! Chincha?!

It’s the line all Eommas use – “Come down, darling. Dongsaeng’s come home.” – urging us older siblings down to kiss and cuddle the new born baby straight back from the hospital. Except in this case, the word ‘Hyung” glares at me like an ugly black cloud.

 

It was supposed to be my Dongsaeng Eomma calls for me to see, not a Hyung. A Dongsaeng!!

 

“Darling…” she calls again, and I cringe.

“Coming, Eomma!” I yell back, and thump down the stairs.

She is talking this way too enthusiastically. Ever since I’d expressed some sort of excitement towards having a brother (and I’ve always meant Dongsaeng at that, not an older bro– hey, I wanna be the boss, okay?!),  she’s got it into her head that I need a brother. And…. I sigh. I know the real reason behind her enthusiasm.

 It is sadness.

 

I walk down the steps slowly to the dining area. Eomma beams at me. It is sadness behind that smile…. And I turn away.

 

I can remember that rainy September night with such clarity: the night she was to come home with my Dongsaeng, back from hospital. Imo was staying over, to look after me. I was eleven at that time – a little boy, excited at the prospect of getting a little brother and a playmate, never mind the .

 

So when she came home minus the warm bundle in her arms, it was confusion that I felt.

I longed to hear those words of welcome: “Come on down, Jongin. Your Dongsaeng is here.” I was greeted with only tears.

 

I didn’t understand, back then. The words, ‘Still-born” held no meaning for me. Innocence had made me ask, “Eomma, where are you hiding Dongsaeng?”

 

~

           ~종인~

 

“Come on down, Jongin. Your Hyung is here.”

The words mock me. I feel a bitterness bubble in my chest, but one look at Eomma makes it melt away. She was doing this for me – ‘You’ve always wanted a brother’ she keeps reminding me – and she was doing this for herself too.

 

Eomma had never moved on since that day. Her little baby had passed away in her arms, the brother I longed for never came. This was her way of moving on. Accepting, welcoming another into the family. Replacing – no, patching up the wounded memories of a dead baby, with the Band-Aid of adoption.

 

And if not for any other reason, I will accept this ‘Hyung’ for the sake of Eomma.

 

~

           ~경수~

 

I knew it was all gonna go terribly wrong the moment Ahjummonie mentioned she already had a son. I mean, I know I have absolutely no right to become jealous, because he was there first, though as I was, apparently, older, I was there first, but what I mean is: he’s been with the family for longer – heck, for his whole life – where as I’m merely a visitor, an awkward new comer.

 

But I was jealous. Damn, I was. I wanted Ahjummonie all to myself. I’ve never had a mother figure – Ms Krystal doesn’t count: she was more of the friendly-helpful-neighbour-at-whose-place-I-always-stayed-over-type – and I knew, I just knew, that Ahjummonie– no, Eomonie was gonna be a great mother! And I really REALLY didn’t want to share!

It becomes so much worse when I see exactly who this Jongin is. He walks downstairs slowly with an air of arrogance around him – and I should have known… I just should have known.

 

I am an idiot for getting my hopes up so high… because Jongin, my “Dongsaeng” turns out to be none other than Kai!

 

Kai.

Kim Jongin.

About the most popular guy in our entire school.

 

~

           ~종인~

 

You’ve got to be kidding!

 

I halt in my tracks and stare.

The boy Eomma has dragged home; the boy whom she’s petting, as if he was a cute stray pup – that was D.O. That… that weirdo, who just sits around staring everywhere. That nerd, who always sits proper in class, hands folded on lap, hanging onto every last word of the teacher. That geek, who lags behind every one in P.E, who makes excuses so he doesn’t have to change into his gym suit. That… that… that’s supposed to be my new Hyung?!

I forget all my promises of keeping up with this act for Eomma. D.O my brother? That was the limit. I lose it; –run upstairs and slam the door behind me. 

 

~

 

A/N:

Was that update fast or... should I speed up my pace (since the chapters are super short and all....)? Hope the pictures/gifs make up for it...

Anyways, I gotta give credit to my very own Noona (Do not question why I say noona, long story) -> http://www.asianfanfics.com/profile/view/794550 

for helping me with all Korean culture related stuff (like to call Eomma Ahjummonie first and all) [You are the bestest Noona!! ^...^]

And don't think I've forgotten you, Tiacha (http://www.asianfanfics.com/profile/view/798752) Yall, as always, are mah Very first readers! :D

Guys, please comment and say how yall like the story so far, okay? And, any holes in the Korean Culture thing, yeah... Feel free to point me in the right direction, kays?