Chapter Three

Lego House (semi-hiatus)

          ~경수~

 

I stare after the figure dashing upstairs, mouth hanging open loosely, the words, “Annyeong Hasseyo, my name is Do Kyungsoo,” stuck in my throat. I can’t believe he– actually, I can. I can! That was typical of Kai, and I shouldn’t have expected anything better.

Anger at myself, for hoping, for wishing too hard, for believing I can finally lower my defenses and find a family to love me, crushes my heart.

I turn, and then I see Ahjummonie’s face, and I cannot breathe. I thought I was the one who’d got it the worst in this room – but the sorrow on her face, that absolute grief… I couldn’t bear it.

 

“I’m sorry, Mrs Kim-” I begin apologizing, even though I don’t know why, “It’s my fault.”

 

Ahjummonie faces me. I can see tears itching to fall, yet she attempts to smile.

“It’s not your fault, darl-”

I cut her across.

“Yes, it is. You don’t have to pretend otherwise. I know Kai got upset because of me.”

I gulp. “It’s my fault, see. No one wants to adopt me. I’m just plain weird. I’m creepy. I don’t fit in–” She tries to hug me, but I step out her reach – “I’ll never fit in.”

 

And with those words, I turn around and flee.

 

~

 

          ~종인~

 

I am angry.

I am so bloody angry.

Did Eomma seriously expect me to put up with that weirdo? Did she seriously expect me to accept him? Call him my Hyung?

 

 Well, too bad. Because that’s the last thing I would do.

 

I throw myself onto my bed, and burrow my head beneath a pile of pillows, wishing a way out of this mess.

 

Adoption is always a bad idea. Especially if that orphan is over twelve. Especially if that family already had a child. Especially if that child is younger. Especially if that child is me!

 

I tried convincing Eomma that this was a bad idea. I mean, hasn’t she watched ‘Orphan’? You know how screwed up that girl’s mind was, trying to kill her little sister and all? Please, I like my life. I don’t want it to be messed up by this adopted… ergh. I’m not saying Hyung. I don’t want him to be my brother. I’m perfectly fine being the only child – Just imagine… I won’t get all that attention from Eomma and Appa anymore; he’d into my games, into my friendships, into my dancing – into my life, basically.

 

No. I am not looking forward to this.

 

~

          ~엄마~

 

I found him outside, sitting on the doorstep, legs drawn up, arms wrapped around himself, face buried in knees. His shoulders were shaking.

I felt my heart crack.

 

What sort of Eomma was I, to make my Adul cry on his first day home? I walk forward slowly, like approaching a creature from the wild, too afraid to make a sudden movement that would cause him to bolt again.

“Kyungsoo?” I call softly, and reach out to touch the sobbing boy.

He flinches. And that hurts.

 

“Kyungsoo,” I can’t help myself, I kneel down beside him and wrap my arms around his small frame, at my touch, he stiffens, but then I hear a small sigh escape his lips, and he buries his face in my chest.

 

I smile softly, and run my fingers through his hair.

After several long minutes, I say, “You’ll come in now, Darling?”

 

He looks up. Tear stains run down the sides of his cheeks, yet he smiles. “You…,” he starts, unsure. “You want…. You don’t mind being my… Eommonie?”

Kyungsoo’s eyebrows raise with wonder, which makes me pull him into a bone crushing hug.

 

“You’re my Adul, my son,” I say, “and no one’s gonna ever make you feel like you don’t fit in. I promise.”

 

~

          ~경수~

 

Despite that reaction from Kai – Jongin, I mean, the day goes on to be one of the best in my entire life.

I don’t see much of Jongin for the rest of the day – he stays up in his room, and doesn’t even come down for dinner – which proves to be the best meal I have ever tasted. It wasn’t just the delicious flavor of Jajangmyun, but the fact that… it was a meal, together, with a family. My family.

 

I look up at Eommonie – no, at Eomma, and I beam. She smiles back at me, and Ahbuji nods, passing me more black-bean noodles.

That night, I go to bed warm, tummy full, and bursting with a happiness so intense, that I’ve never felt before – because for the first time ever, I belong.

 

~

 

          ~경수~

 

I had brushed my teeth, changed into my old pyjamas, and was just about to sink into my warm bed (in my very own room – screw dormitories!) when a shadow fell across me.

 

I looked up, blinking, at the figure silhouetted against the hallway lights.

Kai.

My heart begins to hammer against my chest. I knew it had to be too good to last. There’s no such thing as a perfect day in my life, and I am a fool to hope otherwise. Why had I forgotten about Kai?

 

“Look here, D.O” Kai’s voice is low and dangerous. “I know you may think you are a part of this family and all, but don’t for a second think you have me fooled. You may have Eomma under your influence right now, but that won’t last. I know her, so you better trust me on this.”

 

You have no idea how thankful I am for having switched off the lights earlier. Kai’s words have me quaking on my bed, and that is the last thing I wanted Kai to see.

 

“So,” Kai continues, taking a step into my room, making my heart practically stop, “I’m warning you, you better keep out of my life.”

 

I gulp nervously. Kai maybe younger than me, but I feel powerless in his presence.

 

He is still not done: “I never asked for a brother. And I never asked for you!” He spits the last word out. “This is the last warning you are getting,” he says, standing tall, “Don’t mess with me. Don’t even think about it.”

 

And he leaves.

A/N:

Hope I didn't take too long on this?

 

[EDITED A/N: 

Guys, I am so so so so so sorry for leaving out the last two POVs the last time I updated. I've gotta be officially the most scatterbrained auther EVER! I really hope yall will continue to put up with me after this screw up over here. Once again, I'm so sorry! OTL Mianhae~ ]

 

And since I promised you, Tiacha, here: 

 

 

(just know I'm only doing this because I promised, and I dont break promises.)