Chapter 8

No Going Back

I gasped for breath, talk about intense training, once everyone memorized each move my dance class immediatly went all out with practices. I sweat a lot more than other kids because I was half American and we sweat more than Asians. I lay on the floor, it was my last class of the day, I was glad of that much at least. The dance instructor threw me a towel, it landed on my face and I proceeded to go into the boys locker room. Wiping my face, I removed my headband and raised an arm. I was wary to go for it, but I did. I sniffed my armpit and immediately turned away. Ugh, gross, I need to take a shower and bad. I grabbed my uniform jacket and slung it over my shoulder after I grabbed my 2 other bags. 
"Good work today JiHyun," the dance instructor stopped me as I crossed the floor. "You don't have to work yourself so hard, I'm afraid you're going to faint on us."
I laughed, "well if I do, just let me sleep so then I'll get better quicker," We smiled and I hurried to go out the doors. 
"Sure thing!" 
I slid the door open and was met with a hard impact from another body. I was sweaty and it was hard to carry all of my stuff, I dropped my bags and felt myself falling backwards. I yelped in surprise, closed my eyes, and braced myself for impact.
"Woah!" I felt hands grip my back, it hurt a little, but it must have been better than the floor. "Hey, you gotta be more careful than that," I opened my eyes.
I released a small gasp, only inches away was YuHan's face, "y-y-ya!" He didn't let go, and I felt my face tingle with blush. 
"You look really hot..." He examined my face, "were you dancing really hard?" He laughed and let me go. 
"Thanks..." He called me hot... Ah! I can't act girly in this kind of situation, I'm just another one of his guy friends, I thanked my sweat and dance class for covering up the sight of my blush. I picked up my bags and my coat, I was used to carrying a lot of stuff in America, so it was more of a nuisance than a difficult burden."yeah we were dancing a lot."
He put his arm in front out to stop me, "I'll carry one," he took my biggest bag and slung it over his head and onto his shoulder. 
"Show off," I walked with heavy eyelids. 
"Come on, you're obviously exhausted, I'm not gonna ignore my best friend," I was surprised at him calling me his best friend. 
"Best friend?" I always thought we were just good guy friends.
"Well yeah, a lot of my friends are studying abroad in college now, so you're the only really close one," he made it sound so sad yet he wore the brightest smile on his face.
I snickered, "let's just get to your place so I can wash up and quit stinking so bad."
We walked for what seemed to be at least a half an hour till we arrived at the front lawn of an amazing and elaborately decorated house with plants everywhere outside.
"Whoa, this is your house?!" I exclaimed and looked over at YuHan. His house was HUGE. It looked like something out of a movie. 
"Yeah, we're pretty loaded I guess." His cheeks were red as he led me into his house.
"Looooaaaadeeeeeed," I repeated when I saw the foyer. It was a western style house with an eastern feel to it. I felt so... Strange, but comfortable. It was a warm, but a proper place that I could relax and also be polite in. 
"YuHan-Bo? You're back?" A strong female voice greeted us as we stood with our bags in our arms. 
I giggled at the name, "YuHan-Bo?" I quietly snickered at him.
He pushed me and looked embarrassed, "shut up," I couldn't stop laughing, what a name to be called. His mom came out and greeted us, she wore a slightly stained apron and was wiping her hand on it. She had blonde highlights in her light brown hair and she seemed very young. "Eomma, please don't call me that around people," I heard him try to whisper to his mom, but he was a terrible whisperer.
"Oh alright, who's your friend?" 
"Oh yeah," he used a free hand to hold my shoulder as if he were carrying another piece of luggage, it annoyed me a bit. "This is my Best Friend Go JiHyun, he's from America." 
"Nice to meet you," she bowed towards me.
"Nice to meet youuuuu..." I had extended my arm for a handshake, but felt my mistake, retracted my arm, and bowed down as well. How awkward.
"Fancy, Yu-Bo has told me all about you. You must be very talented." She smiled and actually took my hand and shook it. 
"Hehehe, did he now?" I shot quick judging eyes at YuHan.
"Oh yes, I'm making food for your little get together, I'll leave later tonight so you boys can have fun." She walked back into the house, but we dropped our stuff and went outside.
"Wanna play some ball?" He turned to me.
"Okay," I watched him turn around to lead me somewhere. "Yu-Bo," I added.
"Yah," he turned around immediately. His cheeks were the colour of tomatoes... which I found hilarious. 
"Does your mom always call you that? It's cute," I guess I have time before I wash up, it's not like it's a girl that I'm hanging out with. 
"Yeah, she called me that, when I was like 5!" He was so obviously embarassed.
I laughed out loud, "you're still like 5!" I laughed, he was so like a child that I felt young again. 
We joked around about his name and his childhood as we passed around a football. I threw the ball further than I had aimed and it went into the street, I started to go after it until I saw a group of boys with bulging bags heading toward the house. They picked it up on their way over and threw it back. I caught it and had a puzzled look on my face. There were 5 boys, but at least 3 of them had obviously graduated high school. 2 had a few tattoos and all had at least ear piercings. I felt uncomfortable, I smelled bad and out of place. 
I ran back to Yuhan, hurriedly. The guys started walking toward Yuhan's house. I looked at Yuhan worriedly.
"It's okay, they're my friends," he laughed at my frightened face. I silently sighed in relief as he turned to greet them. "Sup, guys?" I snorted when he said "sup."
"Hey, who's the girl?" One of them asked. Jet black hair, lip piercing, shockingly blue eyes. WHOA BLUE EYES?! I wonder if they're natural or not. I mentally shrugged.
"This is Go Ji-hyun, and for your information he's a guy," Yuhan defended me.
"I'm Ji-Hyun," I laughed. "I guess I must look very feminine."
"Sorry," he laughed with me. "I'm GuWan, and yeah, you look pretty girlish, no offense," he waved cooly at me.
"I get it a lot, don't worry. It's like one of those things. I look girly, but I'm not... however in Yuhan's case..." I trailed off.
"Yah! I'M MANLY," Yuhan pouted, making me burst into laughter.
I messed up his hair, "I'm kidding."
GuWan smirked at us. " that you aren't a girl; you guys would make the best couple."
That sent my cheeks into a series of red colours. Flustered, Yuhan flicked GuWan's head.
"You guys better not cross the line, otherwise I'll kick you out," they laughed and turned towards the house.
Scratching the back of my neck, we all followed Yuhan into his house. His mom was finishing cleaning and setting out food for us to eat. Once we were inside, I immediately smelled my body odor and excused myself to take a shower. I learned to be fast when I showered because of all the extra stuff I had to do to look like a boy, the result was always the same though; I'd smell nice and look good too. 
Back downstairs, the party was in something like full swing, 4 guys were playing video games on YuHan's large projector screen and the rest were eating or doing sport-like things outside. 
I went to grab food when all of the boys on the couch erupted in loud woots and cheers, "Whoooo! HIGHSCORE!" They jumped around in joyful glee and hugged each other, on my end I smirked.
It's just a game, but I guess they would be excited huh? They must've noticed my smirk because they pulled me into their group of excitement.
"JiHyun! We got like, the highest high score we've ever gotten, EVER!" YuHan was right in my face. 
"Yeah dude, it's not just any game either," a boy whose name I couldn't remember but started with B came up and grabbed my shoulders from behind. "Back when we were kids this game came out, it's so hard that, well... It's taken us till now to get where we had just gotten. This is HUGE!" 
I wasn't impressed, in fact, the whole fact that they couldn't complete it till now seems pathetic. "Is it really that hard?" 
"It's more than hard, I've played this game so much and it's still hard," YuHan was absolutely serious, I raised a quizzical eyebrow at them.
"You don't believe us?" Another boy asked, "you try it then." He handed me a wireless PS3 controller and they led me to sit down in front of the screen.
"Come on guys it's just a game, how hard can it be?" They saved their progress and started me out with a new profile.
"You'll see..." All the boys surrounded me on the couch as I focused on the starting of the game.
Everyone was intensely focused on the screen, I knew in time my eyes would start to burn, but I didn't mind. It was quiet in the house, minus the sound of munching. 30 minutes passed, the other boys came in and sat down to watch too as I had already passed level 3 with unexpected ease. 
"How come you're getting through so easily? It took me at least a full day to get to level 3."
I ignored YuHan's comments, but I also recognized a pattern. A lot of the game used your amount of historical intelligence to succeed in completing the level. So far it had been on Italy, Egypt, and Persia. My warrior character had to make it through cities and fight his way to the boss which involved a historical item from that time to defeat them. 
"Wow! No wonder it took you guys so long!" I laughed, they didn't know much about world history, so they would fail time and time again on each level, I giggled even more when I thought about how they'd struggle with American history. 
"What are you saying? That there's some kind of trick to this? We would've found out a long time ago!" YuHan and his friends were astonished.
I paused the game and set down my controller, "you guys have to know history in order to do this game. It's like a learning strategy they gave and tried to teach you as kids right? Well, it might've worked, if you had learned about the world before-hand!" I laughed and laughed, these idiots spent so much time trying to get through a simple learning game.


...
I could hear some of their soft snores. They were finally asleep? I glanced around and sure enough it was 3:36AM. 5 of the guys were still here while 2 of them left saying that they had to do stuff early tomorrow. Yuhan was asleep on his bed. His chest rose slowly, and he slept quietly.
"JiHyun are you still awake?" I heard his voice whisper.
Shocked, I sat straight up on my seat. "Y-yeah?" I whispered back.
"Is anyone else awake?"
"I don't think so?"
"Awesomesauce," Yuhan sat straight up. He pulled off his shirt.
"Yah, what are you doing?!" I hissed at him.
"Shhh," he put his finger to his lips, "I don't want to wake them up and I'm so not sneaking out in pjs."
My eyes widened. SNEAK OUT?! 
"Change into something comfortable," he ordered. Raising my eyebrows, I picked up my backpack and changed into my jeans. Tossing my shorts back into my backpack, I placed my snapback on my head. 
"Follow me," he said the moment I finished. "Uhh. What are we doing?" 
"Walking." He unlatched his window. "C'mon, you first." I walked forward and stuck my head out of the window... "YuHan, why is your room on the third story? It's like you live in the attic."
"Oh, don't tell me you're scared." I shot a glare at him. I used to sneak out all the time back in America... but never out of such a tall building. I held my breath, grabbed the windowsill, and hopped out. My feet met with a small roof to the shed right against their house, it didn't scare me now that I knew I wouldn't be falling from so high. 
I glanced back up at the window, Yuhan was watching me. I stuck out my tongue and jumped off the shed roof. I felt the small impact on my converse and heard a grunt next to me I straightened up to full height.
"Where on earth are we going?"
"To the swings," he smiled nonchalantly.
"B-bwoh?!"
"No questions until the end of the tour, thank you."
I mentally facepalmed and glanced up at the sky. Seoul is a bustling city, of course I couldn't see the stars. I walked along with him, it felt strangely normal to walk outside randomly in the streets. It felt safe. 
We walked along for a good 5 quiet minutes filled with both of us being absolutely silent. I decided to break the silence with a quiet voice.
"So... Where are these swings of yours?" Oh my god JiHyun you sound like you're flirting, stop that. 
"Huh? Oh yeah the swings," the hell did he mean by 'oh yeah the swings'? "We'll be there soon, but hey, don't you think it's super nice out?" 
I looked up again, still no stars... "Yeah, it's pretty I guess." I rubbed the tiredness out of my eyes. I sighed, but YuHan must have taken it as something serious so he approached me co with concern.
"Is everything all right?" Everything he's saying sounds like bad romantic movie quotes.
"Yeah, I'm fine, I just... I haven't been able to see any stars the whole time I've been here in Seoul," back in Minnesota I could look out my window and pick out the constellations I could see in the sky. Here it was just dark, the stars were on the ground instead of the sky.
"The stars huh? So you're that kind of guy," he glanced over at me. What kind of eyes were those?
"What do you mean by 'that kind of guy'?" What?
"I mean that you think more and... You probably have more emotions despite your overwhelming bluntness haha!" He smiled and motioned for us to take a quick turn down an alleyway. 
"You have a lot more to learn about me YuHan," I smiled too, now that I thought about it, I hadn't felt this calm since I arrived in South Korea. I was always nervous in front of my relatives or nervous in front of the general people. 
We came upon an empty lot which held a small slide and only one swing? 
"Hey you said swings not a swing!" I crossed my arms across my chest, what the heck? I like to swing, but I didn't want to take it from him either.
"Come on, you haven't heard my sad backstory yet." He chuckled.
"Ok then, go ahead," i motioned for him to begin.
"When I was a kid my mom and dad were always at work so I'd feel extremely alone at home. I would go for long walks and one day I ended up here. This tiny playground looked just as lonely as I felt so I came back everyday. One day a girl appeared and we started to play together."
"Did you like her?" 
"No, but she made for good company," he smiled and continued on. "Well, the years passed and that girl disappeared, the end!" 
"That's your tragic backstory?" 
"Yup, and now you're here to play with me," he hopped onto the swing and patted his lap. 
"What?!" 
"Get on you fart," he patted his lap once again.
"Aiyaya, why do I have to do that?" My eyes widened.
"Because you obviously want to swing too," I got close to him and he grabbed my arm to prop me up in his lap. What kind of style was my sitting? Princess style? This isn't normal among guys to sit on each other's lap while they swing is it?
I tried my best to be comfortable, but I felt stiff all over.
"Hey, just have fun," YuHan murmured. I mean sure, it shouldn't be considered out of the ordinary, but in this society... and century... it was very odd for 2 teenage boys to sneak out in the middle of the night to go swing on each other's laps...
Laughter bubbling from my mouth, a thought suddenly occured to me.
"Hey, Yuhan," I wrapped one arm around his neck as he pushed the swing to get moving.
"Hmm?" He answered nonchalantly.
"Are you into guys?" I raised an eyebrow. I could feel the slight smirk creeping onto my face. It's not wrong to be into the same , but it would be very ironic in this case since I was really..... well... not a guy.
"I-I'm bi," I could hear the stammer in his voice.
Laughing at the situation, I pulled off my snapback. Sighing, I played with his hair. The night sky, though empty of stars, was calming. My heart was beating so fast; I was scared that he would say something, and I wouldn't be able to hear it. Yet, in some weird twisted way, I liked this feeling. 
We sat like that for a few minutes, just enjoying the silence. 
"JiHyun, tell me one of your secrets," he broke the silence. A warm feeling spread through me as I pressed my foot on the ground, stopping the swing. I didn't know why I complied to his request so willingly or why I chose this secret, but by the time I had thought about this, he had already gasped.
"You have really long hair," Yuhan stared at me.
"Yah, pabo, I'm a girl," I sighed. My hair was actually done this time, unlike its messy state when Jungkookie pulled off the wig himself.
"But... why did you keep this from me?" A look of utter confusion and hurt spread on his face. 
"I didn't want you to treat me differently."
"You're telling me your gender. It's not like you're coming out of the closet."
"Yeah, but what if you decide to do something like ruffle my hair or something and then you remember 'oh wait, JiHyun's a girl.'"
He answered me with silence. Glancing up from the ground, I studied him. His sharp jawline and high cheekbones were framed with his black curls and large Ray Bans. My heart beat faster, and my breathing quickened. I guess I wasn't studying him... I was admiring him. My eyes finally met his. I in my breath at the intense way he was looking at me. 
"I didn't realise how insecure you were."
"I didn't realise you wore glasses."
"Oh my hell," he snorted.
"What?" I could feel my cheeks heating up.
"I was going to try and be romantic slash cheesy, but, heck, you had to bring up my glasses."
Trying to play off the "romantic slash cheesy" phrase, I stuttered, "well, I mean, you look cute in them. I MEAN, YOU'RE GLASSES UMM THEY MAKE YOUR FACE LOOK DECENT."
My face felt scorched as he laughed, making the swing tremble. 
"So, JiHyun," he smirked after recomposing himself. "I'm just decent?"
"I-I mean, I guess you're mo-more than-"
His lips pressed his lips onto mine. His soft lips left a tingling sensation on mine as he pulled away.
"-average," I finished.
Lightly carressing my face, he pressed his forehead to mine, speeding my already too fast heartbeat. Lifting my hand, I placed it on his. Intertwining our fingers, he grinned.
"Just so you know, you're way more than just decent."
"Can we get off this slide now? We should probably get back to the house," I led him off of the swing. My heart was beating faster than Superman could fly. My tummy was doing those weird flip things that you get after a rollar coaster ride that make you want to throw up... but in a good way. 
Yuhan tilted his head and pecked my lips. "Okay, let's go back."

"You should be in Korea by now right? Meet me at Sumgjong Park in 10 minutes" -JK

I stared at the phone.
"What's wrong, love?"
"Where's Sumgjong Park?" I whispered feeling sick.
"About 15 minutes from here? Why?" He raised an eyebrow. 
"We need to run there... like now."