Nine

Rivaled Society

“I’m going to do it for sure today” Krystal said determined clenching her hand into a fist. Sitting in the morning classroom Krystal was more prepared than anyone to confess to Taemin.

“Yeah? Like you said the days before?” Amber mockingly reminded sitting in Luna’s seat, Krystal glared at her.

“Do remind me why we talk to each other?” Krystal asked,

“Because I’m too awesome?” Amber innocently asked, her hands resting on her lap as she sat up right. Krystal scoffed.

“Ha and just now I thought you were going to say something really cocky” Krystal spat,

“It was a joke!” Amber argued,

“Whatever” Krystal scoffed,

“Guys, why do you have to argue all the time?” Sulli asked, interrupting the tense atmosphere growing around them. Amber frowned and looked away from Krystal, why do I talk to them? Amber wondered.

“Well, I’m off, has been not-so-fun talking to you” Amber says picking up her bag to leave the room, pulling a face at Krystal who returned it. After Amber left Krystal let out a frustrated sigh, Sulli ignored it.

The bell went and Krystal headed straight for her next class wanting it to be over faster than she needed. When first break finally arrived, Krystal neatly rushed her way to the soccer field. Almost making her way out of the building before Luna called her back. Her teacher wanted to see her about an unimportant assignment. She groaned and stomped back. After obtaining the sheet Krystal shoved it deep into her bag full of cosmetics and headed off towards the field once again.

“Watch where you’re going you idiot!” Krystal had run into someone, her heart beating with nervousness but combined with determination was making her head spin. Krystal frowned and looked up at the person with the tongue and saw the brother of Taemin, Kai. Great, she thought to herself.

“You watch where you’re going!” she said as she looked up at the boy fiercely, he grinned.

“You seem to be in a rush. Where are you going? To stalk my brother again?” Kai chuckled as he watched Krystal frown.

“No, I am not going to stalk your brother. I don’t stalk him!” she argued, Kai chuckled in amusement not believing her waved and his hand around as he walked off. “Okay fine, whatever you say” he said.

Kai knew every well who Krystal was, he always found her glance every now and then to his brother sitting under the thick tree. Playing soccer with Sehun and Tao, Kai always had an uncomfortable feeling that someone eying his brother.

To be sure of his theory, he brought Taemin into his class one morning, and he was right. He felt Krystal’s desperate stare heat up the room, he could tell she was checking him out and it disgusted him. When he overheard Key mention Krystal the other day, it obviously meant that she had finally gained the courage to ask him out. So, to play with the event he purposely gave his full attention to Taemin, taking him to places other than the tree gladly enjoying the girl search the entire fields for him. And watch Key slap Taemin each time.

But he can’t help but feel the need to mess with her more. Today, he will let Krystal ask him out, leaving him under the tree, the place she always suspects first. Probably reading his favourite book that bores Kai to death, he made sure that Taemin’s friends would be distant. Wasn’t hard with Onew, one mention of the word chicken and he bolted to supposably find it. Taemin will sit and wait then Krystal would appear and to Kai’s hope, she would get rejected.

“I’m sorry, you’re very nice and all but I’m not looking for a relationship right now” Taemin apologised to a girl who too had the opportunity to confess. The girl was heartbroken and let it show as she walked off. Taemin’s heart tightened, he hates rejection but he honestly wasn’t looking for a relationship, and Kai knew that. There’s no girl in mind—

“Oh why did she pop up?” Taemin shut his book, resting it on his lap as he rubbed his eyes with his forefinger and thumb. The memory of the Cube high school girl came into his mind. Walking out from the corner of her street, her hair flowing, her soft looking skin with innocence written all over her face. He often thought of her eyes to be as beautiful as she looks but he hasn’t seen them, she never looked at him. Taemin tries to shake off the memory by childishly tilting his head sideways to pump out the thoughts.

“Uh Taemin Oppa?” Taemin paused and looked up, Krystal was there.

“Ah Krystal!” Taemin greeted embarrassed to be caught in that action, he stood up and smiled politely at her. Krystal felt like melting, the smile given was hers to remember.

“What’s up? Oh that’s right! You had something to tell me didn’t you? Key said it was important, I’m sorry I’ve been busy with Kai. Are you alright?” He asked.

Krystal gulped thickly, she smiled nervously at Taemin. Her hands fiddling as she lifted them up to her face, chuckling a bit with a light blush appearing on her cheeks. He was worried about her.

“Taemin Oppa” she cooed.

Taemin became slightly confused, tilting his head to the side he asked “What is it?” she doesn’t look upset, it must not be something personal, Taemin thought. Krystal stalled putting on her ageyo towards Taemin who didn’t notice. Kai watched from behind a wall, he slapped his forehead with his hand feeling stupid for Krystal, gosh women just confess already! He thought angrily to himself.

“Taemin Oppa” she repeated.

With his full attention on Krystal, Taemin patiently waited for her to speak. His eyes became wide and he moved his head forward pushing his ear closer to Krystal as she had mumbled something.

“Sorry what was that?” Taemin asked,

Krystal was shocked when Taemin came closer, his ear at her lips. Her heart started to beat rapidly while at the same time she tried to calm her breaths. Swallowing thickly she blushed. Taemin pulled away realising the Krystal wasn’t speaking and gave her a concerned look. Taemin brought his hand up to Krystal’s forehead pushing her head back a bit looking at Taemin who leaned over to examine her face.

“Your face is red but you have no temperature” he spoke softly. If fainting was the best thing to do right now Krystal wouldn’t hesitate to collapse. Her knees were wobbling. The feeling of giving up was growing to a suitable option.

“Ta-Taemin” She stuttered, Taemin locked his eyes to Krystal’s in response of her call.

“I-I’m fine” She assured.

Kai in the distance slapped a hand on his face again.

“And he wonders why all the girls like him. He’s such a naïve flirt!” Kai spoke out his thought angrily.

Taemin pulled back and stood alert of Krystal’s action. Krystal could die right now; first he was worried about her, second he intentionally moved closer to her, third he placed his hand on her head, fourth he was actually staring at her! And fifth they locked eyes! These actions made Krystal think that she wouldn’t mind dying right now.

“Just hurry up you annoying girl!” Kai gritted his teeth. From all the commotion around him and the distance Kai heard little of their conversation. But he noticed from their body movements that Krystal may have finally regained focus and is finally going to do what she was aiming for, Kai smirked.

“Taemin Oppa” she spoke her hands fumbling together in front of her face, Krystal looked up at him with hope before shutting them tight.

“I like you! Please go out with me!” She confessed.

It was silent. It remained silent.

Krystal opened her eyes and looked up to see Taemin. The boy was shocked, taken back by the confession. His eyes were wide, displaying fear. He didn’t think that Krystal would have ever looked at him that way, the way they have been friends. Krystal’s face paled at the sight, has she ruined everything?

“Uh” Taemin said through his parted lips, he never thought of rejecting a friend.

“Well, Krystal, you are a very nice person but –” He said repeating his lines for every confession given to him but Krystal cut him off.

“Ah no!” She said waving her hands preventing Taemin to speak any further.

“I-it was a joke, Sulli dared me to ask you out as a joke haha” Krystal chuckled awkwardly, feeling heavy shattered glass poke in her chest, he was going to reject me, Krystal thought disappointedly but hid it with a smile.

“It was all fun and games” she said continuing to smile. Taemin processed things slowly and when he was done he sighed and chuckled in relief “Ah, okay good” he said wiping invisible sweat from his forehead. Krystal faked a laugh “Yeah imagine if I really confessed” Taemin laughed along “Yeah that would change everything! You’re a good friend Krystal and I wouldn’t want anything to change between us otherwise it would’ve been weird” he continued to laugh while Krystal’s started to die out “although we should hang out more, you’re like a sister to me. I haven’t seen you in a while I’ve been busy sorry” Taemin said as he genuinely smiled.

Krystal felt her heart sink, shot down by canon but she decided that it could change, maybe not as fast as she thought. She could force him like her but that wouldn’t be right, even if she was richer than him she couldn’t hurt Taemin, at least. In fact, Taemin may have rejected her for a reason, not a reason to why he saw her as a sibling but if he had his eye on something, or someone.

“So Oppa” Krystal said as she sat down next to his bag by the tree, Taemin followed and sat down as well.

“If I were a different girl, would you accept me?” Taemin looked out into the soccer field in thought before turning back to Krystal “No” he simply replied.

“Why?” She asked, Taemin looked back out and spoke out his thoughts “I’m just not looking for a relationship right now” He replied. Krystal frowned “Oppa, do you perhaps like someone right now?” She asked.

Taemin looked back sharply with wide eyes. It shocked Krystal almost making her heart sink again “Do you?” She asked hoping she can float. Taemin narrowed his eyes and replied “No, I don’t”

It didn’t make any sense. At first, he said that he didn’t want a relationship. Secondly, when she asked if he had an interest in someone his calm image had changed dramatically but his reply was still a negative. Even if the second question was random and far from what was meant to happen next, she got a twist she didn’t like.

“Oppa, you don’t have to hide it. You like someone, that’s why you’re rejecting others” Krystal painfully explained. Taemin shook his head and smiled “No I’m not hiding it, there is no-one” Krystal only hummed in response. It was silent as Krystal tried to come up with a positive explanation, she glanced at Taemin who he himself was trying to sort out his thought. She had enough for today and got up, bidding farewell to Taemin to go hide and weep. He is so stupid! She thought angrily.

After a while Krystal left, Taemin thought over about she had said “Do I like someone?” He thought out loud then the flash of the Cube girl appeared again “No, no can’t be her” he said rubbing his eyes again with his fingers. A soccer ball rolled in front of him and Taemin looked at it in confusion.

“Hey Hyung what’s up?” Kai cheered from behind the tree, almost shocking the spirit out of Taemin.

“Aish Kai don’t do that! Do you want to kill me?” Taemin asked with a hand placed over his chest. Kai grinned before jumping over to choke Taemin in a grateful hug “What are you doing?” Taemin asked with the little breath he had.

“Nothing! I feel like I haven’t hugged you in a while” He said tightening the hug, he was happy, he was right! Taemin did reject Krystal and now he has become the happiest person alive.

“Wow okay get off me” Taemin said trying to shove off his brother “alright” Kai said pulling away and seating himself next Taemin with the largest grin on his face.

“What’s up with you? Why the smile?” Taemin asked amused “Oh I just saw something funny” Kai laughed off.

When Taemin walked up to his class he saw Key at the door. He questioned to why his friend was standing there and not at his class. “Hey Hyung” Taemin greeted smiling with a short wave at his Hyung, but Taemin received a slap on his shoulder “Ow what was that for?” he whined as he began to rub it.

“I saw Krystal crying, what did you do?” He asked folding his arms, “Krystal was crying?” Taemin asked shocked “she was fine when I was talking to her”

“What were you guys talking about?” Key asked tilting his head and lifting an eyebrow “we were just talking about confessions, she pulled one on me it was funny! We laughed it off she said it was a joke. Oh man she really got me, I thought she was serious!” Taemin laughed again at the memory but again received a slap from Key “Ow Hyung what?”, “You idiot!” he yelled and stomped off. Taemin tilted his head in confusion, what the heck?

After classes Taemin’s group were back under the tree and Kai was with his friends out on the field. Kai didn’t have that feeling of someone watching Taemin and grinned, he can finally focus properly. Onew came late to the tree. Sitting on the healthy grass he munched on some chicken strips “oh those look good, can I have one?” Jonghyun asked as he stretched an arm over to the cup of chicken strips. Onew noticed and wacked his hand away “no, I got these myself, the lunch ladies said they were special and that I had to work hard for them”

“Oh really what did you do?” Minho asked his eyes showing desire for eating one of those chicken strips too, they looked irresistible “it was a treasure hunt. Took me most of the first class to find them, there was a bunch of them in one of the classrooms, someone left them for me” he explained his eyes glowing at the vision of five cups of chicken strip on a single study table. Kai actually did prepare a hunt for Onew, making him do many ridiculous things to get there when he should’ve just gone to the room he was studying next too. He got it on tape.

“Wow someone must like you to set that up” Taemin grinned as he tried to subtly take a strip for himself but Onew smacked his hand away.

“No! They are mine!” He declared as his eyes grew crazy wide as he stared at his food “all mine”. The others found this extremely creepy and moved back about a meter to avoid any crazy outburst.

“Well I guess no chicken” Key stated the obvious, he brought out his own homemade lunch box and stared at the delicious collection “Key~” he looked up and saw Jonghyun, Minho and Taemin pout and gave him the puppy eyes “What?” he asked coldly, he kind of feels how Onew does at times.

“Can we…” they all point to his lunch box “…have some?” Jonghyun spoke for them all pouting. Key sighed, he packed an identical one for these situations and threw the other box at them “knock yourselves out” and they dug in like dogs.

Krystal’s eyes were red, as she thought she was good at hiding them, but they were incredibly noticeable. She slowly walked her way through the halls with her head hung feeling like a complete idiot, but Taemin is the idiot, Krystal thought. He doesn’t know my feelings for him, he doesn’t see it! Krystal kicked the locker that was beside her but hurt her foot as she was not expecting the impact on her toes. Not good at all, her final thoughts were when she walked into someone for the second time today.

“Seriously woman look where you’re going!” Krystal heard someone shout. She frowned, she knew who it was. “I’m not in the mood Kai, leave me alone” she warned, her tone was fierce but was obviously weak “Oh? What’s the matter here? Did my Hyung reject you?” He rudely teased. Krystal glared at him and it showed signs of possible deaths and stepped back a bit “whoa calm down”

“Is your ‘Hyung’ seeing someone?” Krystal asked, Kai felt a bit strange by the way she asked, it was like she was up to something but he replied calmly like he was not affected “from what I know, he is completely single” Krystal asked another question “then why wouldn’t he date me?”

“You’re a creepy B*tch, that’s why” Krystal slapped him and he reacted to it painfully.

“Does Taemin Oppa like someone?” she asked her most desirable question, hoping that Kai knew so it could ease her mind “I don’t see him looking at other girls” he replied. Krystal sighed “why am I talking to you?”

“Because I’m his brother” he smiled proud that he is, Krystal hummed then an idea clicked “do you want money?” she asked quickly. “What?” he asked surprised and honestly a bit scared “money, do you want?”

“I have enough money to survive me a lifetime” he said confidently folding his arms “do you want more?” Krystal asked. Kai paused, thinking it through briefly “why?” He furrowed his eyebrows “I need someone to keep an eye on Taemin Oppa”

“I’m not spying on my brother for the sake of your love life” he said his face showing prue disgust.

“Oh but you are, I can offer, a large amount”

“How much?” Kai asked thinking she doesn’t own that much, Krystal grinned and went up to Kai’s ear to whisper an amount. When she pulled back Kai’s expression was in what was relevant, priceless. “All that just to stalk my brother?” He asked remaining to be wide eyed almost shouting at her, she slapped his arm “It’s not stalking! It’s just an investigation” she corrected “you are a crazy B*tch” he replied repulsed.

“Yeah but you’re attracted to me” Krystal said cockily, Kai chocked in response “ugh why would I?” he asked pretending to spew “guys that continuously insult girls is a childish way of getting their attention, you want my attention, you like me” Krystal grinned hoping to pull him with her finger. Kai would be a great way to find out information about Taemin, considering that he is Taemin’s younger brother, it would be much easier to find out what Taemin’s interest are and if he really has one.

“All you’ve ever done is insult me, you know I like your brother, so you’re trying to get my attention away from him. I’m right am I?” Krystal asked as she moved closer to Kai, he swallowed thickly, “That is so wrong ugh” he shivered “all you really think is love, girls seriously” Kai heavily sighed “I’m not doing it” he declared and stomped off.

Krystal grunted and screamed in frustration at Kai’s response. This family god! Don’t they know anything!? She thought and ran off.

 

A/N

Hi, I am very sorry that I haven’t updated in so long. I usually had many ideas on this but seeing that no-one was really interested I had lost the motivation and put it aside. But I thank you so much that you have subscribed and it makes me so happy! I will continue and I have started to get back on track with it, I’ve got another chapter almost ready to put up.

I really, really thank you sooo much! This chapter was very bad in my opinion I tried not to rush it and I tried to put on the amount of words I usually would write but it was very difficult to put back into place. This one wasn’t as entertaining and appears to be all over the place but I promise the next chapter won’t be like that! The next chapter will be better structured too (I hope haha).

Thank you again! I’ll update next week!