Three

Rivaled Society

Back at Cube High school, sat two brothers on top of their common picnic table under the shaded tree. They pay their attention towards the girls who passed by, winking and whistling at those who caught their attention. If some girls have noticed the two black haired boys would call them over, shyly smiling and giggling they would make their way over to them. The girls that had stopped by and joined them at their table were hand feeding the boys who tried to make amusing conversations along with playing with the girl’s hair. The younger brother out of the two had won many girls hearts with his genetic eye smile and gentle attitude while the other brother would win his girls hearts by throwing compliments or perform a special dance for them. It was another day for the Lee brothers as they enjoyed their time together surrounded by the girls they manage to capture.

“Oppa I have a chicken sandwich with lettuce, would you like half of it?” a girl offers sitting on the seat facing the older brother holding up the other half already for him, he smiles and accepts “thank you, I love chicken!” the older brother reaches out to receive the sandwich. He intentionally places his fingers over hers making sure they touched, he pauses and looks at the girl for a moment, laughing bashfully like it was an accident. The girl becomes flustered by the situation, she blushes not losing eye contact. The younger brother was given a juice box from a long haired Noona, she said he looked parched and that he should always hydrate himself. He gave her his famous eye smile and asked if his Noona would want to look after him for lunch, the Noona just pinched his cheeks saying he is too cute.

With the girls by their side and getting free food, the brothers would gladly repay them by giving a kiss on their hand, trying to be a gentleman. Or play with their hands to be cute, or even let them sit on their laps just for them to appear manly. Playboys they were but, that often appeared when they had no food. Don’t get them wrong they love their new company but, they love food more. And girls at these times were on diets so it meant more food for them.

“So, what do you do during your free time, Gikwang Oppa?” one girl asked, she had long straight blonde hair. Gikwang ran his fingers through her soft hair gazing at his fingers slide through it so easily

“My free time? Hm… I like to dance… and dream of pretty girls like you” he says moving his gaze to stare calmly into her eyes as he starts to play around with her hands, she giggles, having no words to say but

“Oppa~~” playfully brushing her shoulder against his. They laugh together continuing to play with each other’s hands. He doesn’t know her name, but it doesn’t matter to him anyway, she said she was moving to a new city.

The younger brother still holding up a conversation with his Noona soon ends as she leaves to study for an upcoming exam. Before she left she ruffled his hair and gave unexpected advice “life is too short, don’t lose sight of what you really want” he didn’t properly think first and thought of needing food. But, this could be interpreted in many different ways so he definitely kept it in mind. He shuffled closer to his brother and a couple of other girls for more company

“Is your Noona gone Hyunsik?” Gikwang asked moving his head out to see his younger brother pass two girls beside him

“Yeah, she was a nice Noona” Hyunsik replied smiling at the thought of her words and her polite attitude

“Do you like Noonas Hyunsik Oppa?” One brunette sitting next to him asked, Hyunsik smiled at the girl and replied,

“I like anyone who has a kind heart. I like you, because I can tell by looking at your eyes you have a pure heart” Hyunsik says pushing her hair behind her ears creating a better view of her face. The girl of course became shy from his words and actions and avoids eye contact looking down at her fiddling hands.

“Why is Oppa so sweet?” she asks shyly, Hyunsik wraps his hands around her fidgeting ones and bring them close to him lips lightly pressing them against it “Because I’m a gentleman” he says finishing it off with his killer eye smile and the girl is completely taking away as she has lost her words in the moment of romance. False romance, but, he seems to find happiness in making others happy.

The bell rings for the end of lunch and the girls around them whine, Gikwang tells them it’s time to go back to class and promises to see them again soon, which might not happen. Hyunsik heads off to his class having to separate from the girls before Gikwang who now has the girls tugging onto his arms not wanting to leave him. Hyunsik first stops at his locker to take out his books for class but then a sticky note slips out. He looks down and tilts his head in confusion, a confession letter? He thought, no one has ever written him one before since the girls were always direct, a little excitement yet nervousness swirled inside him as he went down to pick it up. The sticky note was yellow and the sticky part was folded so it would slide through the lockers door without any trouble.

Having it in his palm he stared at the writing of symbols that obviously showed the writer was nervous, he smiled at the insecurity the writer had thinking it was cute but grew keen of what the writer wanted “Dear Hyunsik, I don’t think you’ve noticed me but, I have noticed you. You’re always surrounded by the girls at that famous picnic table that you also hang out with your friends at. I wanted to write to you because I have a crush on you, I don’t want a reply because I think you will bash me if you knew who I was” that sentence caused Hyunsik to furrow his eyebrows, bash? He thought, why would I want to bash you? He continued to read “I just wanted to tell you that I don’t want you to hang out with those girls at the picnic table, can you tell your brother that too?” Is this? What is this? Is this a confession or a request? “Oh and can you tell Eunkwang Oppa that I would really want to go out with him? I would be really grateful to you!” This really twisted Hyunsik’s brain around, she confessed to me but requests me not to sit with girls at my table and also wants me tell Eunkwang after confessing to me that she would want to date him? He was conflicted, his face was in distraught, he was confused, and then he read the last line “Love from Eunkwang Oppa!” with a little smiley face and a red love heart at the end. Hyunsik pulled his head back and just smashed his face against the lockers. He could not believe he fell for that.

A giggling blonde haired male was hiding behind a corner not too far from the lockers where Hyunsik was at just to see his reaction. Eunkwang watched Hyunsik react to his letter and felt success combine inside him, it was so worth it, Eunkwang thought to himself as he watches Hyunsik’s head remain on the lockers. His classroom was at the other end of the school but he really wanted to see this.

“No more girls at our table Hyunsik” he says laughing at the view of his younger friend’s forehead on the locker surrounded by a gloomy atmosphere

“He is gonna want to kill me now” he said backing up and running out of the blocks building, his head up high as he laughs like a maniac when he passes Peniel and Changsub. The two blinked mindlessly wondering if the weirdo they had just saw was the guy they thought it was

“Yep that’s the oldest” Peniel confirmed nodding as they watch their older friend stop under the sky on a basketball court continuing to laugh ever so loudly,

“Yeah Hyunsik! No more girls covering our table hahaha! Wait no more girls? Aw what the? ” Eunkwang stops the laughter then goes to his knees now crying out to the sky

“I could’ve made her jealous! I could’ve gotten her to see me as a man right? God can my good looks and charm still get her!?” now crying out, people passing by rushes past the weird preaching creature

“Why did we make him the leader?” Changsub asks watching the leader have a meltdown “Ah Why!? Hyunsik this is all your fault!” he is heard in the background as the two have turned around to head to their lockers

“I would be a much better leader, first of all I think through things” Changsub said using his index finger to point to the side of his head. Peniel laughs agreeing to the sad reality of Changsub being a better leader than Eunkwang. After walking down discussing embarrassing moments of their leader they stop, they seemed to have encountered a sulking Hyunsik his head still remaining on the lockers

“Hyung? Whats wrong?” Peniel asks and bit worried

“Nothing” Hyunsik mumbles

“That doesn’t look like nothing Hyunsik” Changsub comments chuckling a bit at the sight of his charismatic friend losing his cool, there in his friends hand a yellow note becomes a sight for him

“Hey what’s that?” he asks giving Hyunsik no time to answer as he swipes it out of his hands, Hyunsik jumps off the lockers to retrieve is but stops the moment Changsub starts reading the note imitating a girls high note only to fail as a high pitched sound did not resemble a girls voice at all

“ ‘Dear Hyunsik, --’ ” he reads the letter loudly, Hyunsik groans, dropping his arms returns to put his head on the lockers. Peniel chuckles at his Hyungs reaction along with paying attention to the note he glances back and forth at Hyungik watching his every response

“‘I don’t want a reply, because I think you will bash me’” he slowly loses his girly tone and looks up at Hyunsik with a tangled expression, Hyunsik groans in response

“Bash? Hyunsik? bash?”

“Let me see” Peniel grabs the note off him and continues to read

“‘I don’t want you to hang out with those girls at the picnic table’ Wow this girl is really something” he comments continuing to read and is surprised by the last suggestion

“Eh? She wants to go out with Eunkwang hyung? What the –? Isn’t this a confession letter!? ”

Hyunsik mumbles against his locker “You didn’t finish the letter” the two boys look back down at the note and both shot their heads up with an understandable groan. Peniel with the note still in his hand covers his face in disbelief not believing his leaders foolishness while Changsub had joined Hyunsik on the lockers

“Oh I can’t believe he did that! See? This is why I should be the leader!” Changsub complains pushing off the locker and pointing at Peniel

Peniel covered by his hands starts to laugh

“That’s why he was screaming outside, Oh God! I really can’t believe that happened! He really had us fooled!” he continues to laugh harder uncovering his face he starts hit the wall with his fists at the stupidity of their leader. Changsub caught by the contagious laughter started to laugh himself, only cracking a smile from Hyunsik

“I am gonna bash him for that, no wait. Instead, I’m going to kill him” Hyunsik says finally pushing off the lockers only to smile innocently at his friends

“A little more than what he had in mind” Changsub chuckled

“Can I watch? I can imagine him running like a giant baby with animated cartoon tears running down his face” Changsub adds on with a thrilled smile on his face and Peniel still laughing against the wall lifts up one hand barely making out the words of ‘me too’ through his empty breath.

The three boys head to their classroom on the second floor entering their Physics room. Hyunsik heads for one of the three remaining seats which were scattered far apart from each other. He took the one in the center of the classroom that was surrounded by guys, so no girls with loud attitudes would interrupt him during his favorite subject. Peniel took the seat in the far back corner by a window, he questions why he chose this subject instead of chemistry that has explosives and chemicals. Every lesson he would just watch the lives of others outside of the classroom that at the lunch area, just admiring the occurrence of drama happening down there, maybe he should’ve chosen Biology.

As for Changsub being the oldest in the class he had a bit of the expectations. He doesn’t mind the subject that much but it bothers him to why the teacher only asks him the questions when hyunisks has his hand is straight up in the air, or why he doesn’t get angry at Peniel for not paying attention to the lesson. He would want to change the subject too but he finds it interesting. Poor Changsub can’t be himself when he’s in Physics, only outside or during breaks can he really be the crazy and loud, pulling faced individual with the strange or disturbing jokes, but when he is in front of this teacher in particular he must become a clean and well-mannered student.

The bell rings for their next class and the three boys exit out of their classroom, Hyunsik satisfied by the lesson smiled and happily discussed at how amazed he was from the Physics lecture. Changsub sighed relieved he can drop the act and Peniel was drained out almost to be appeared as sleep walking. Hyunsik slightly annoyed nudges Peniel harshly snapping him out of his tired expression so he could continue talking. They head for their lockers and replace their books with new subjects, the three soon split up in different directions to go to their new class. Hyunsik is smiling with excitement as his other favored subject is Health.

In the process of his class, he unfortunately made it early so there were many girls that surrounded him at his desk taking the seats around him. Today the class had to train in first aid, the moment the teacher had mentioned partners Hyunsik became bombarded with many female applicants. After the teacher had them settled down and had Hyunsik partnered up with a guy, they wouldn’t stop bothering him with simple ‘how do you’ questions. The only way he had them to leave was to give them a small compliment to have them occupied for a moment. Wrapping up his partners leg in a fabric band aid and understanding the techniques of CPR on the dummy the girls asked him if he would like to practice on them. He had to reject because to a dummy it’s nothing, it was pretty much the ‘kiss of life’ that he embedded into his head, so if he were to do it on a person that would possibly be his first kiss that is, if he gets one before that happens.

He felt sorry for his partner and gave him his thanks for putting up with the girls. The guy just smiled saying that he actually had a good time being surrounded by so many females. They just laughed, growing a new friendship, I guess it wasn’t too bad today, he thought.

Lunch started and Hyunsik headed over to the table where his friends were, not everyone was there yet it was just Peniel and Sungjae sitting on top of the picnic table

“Hey guys” he calls waving his hand as he reaches the table

“How was class?” he asks knowing what Peniel would say he just smiled

“I don’t remember actually, Physics made me fall sleep, curse it” He says stretching his arms over his head. Hyunsik got offended and quickly reacted by slapping him on the chest, the other was frightened and fell back after the little shock, he sat back up

“Yah! Hyung you could’ve given me a heart attack! Never shock anyone like that!” Hyunsik smiles not caring about what he said and sits on the seat of the picnic table beside his younger friend’s feet

“It’s a good subject” he says turning to Sungjae who had a sandwich and rips off the corner of the triangular half popping it into his mouth. Sungjaes eyes grew wide and became very possessive of his food moving it out of his hyungs reach

“Yah! I paid good money for that!” he said,

“I’m hungry, and besides you’ve done that before” Hyunsik says not really caring about his dongsaeng attitude but refers back on the Min Sung and Sungjaes incident.

“I bought her a new one after school!” Sungjae argues but Hyunsik just shrugs not caring and looks out into the distance of empty picnic tables and the cement ground

Both the two boys annoyed at their hyungs attitude kick him off the seat onto the floor, but it proved Hyunsik predicaments were true and laughed. The boys stared confused at their weird hyung laying on the ground laughing.

“He seems to be in a good mood” Eunkwang noted watching Hyunsik laughing on the floor.

Eunkwang was holding his food tray watching the table from behind the glass door of the cafeteria, not really taking of notice his surroundings as he blocked the doorway creating a large crowd

“Are you leaving or not?” spoke a familiar voice, Eunkwang turns around to see Minhyuk and a bunch of agitated people behind him. Even at that moment he still didn’t bother moving and turned around to look back at the table. His view is blocked by people on the other side

“Yah! Get out of the way!” he yells waving one arm up in the air having the people on the other side to argue against him, Minhyuk sighs and push him out of the way. The crowd was able to move through the door and as they did small mutters of Eunkwang were made. Eunkwang was shoved into a plant in a tall vase barely moving as he bumped into it

“Hey don’t push me! Why’d you do that? Can’t you see I’m holding my food?” he says holding up his tray in Minhyuks face, Minhyuk shoos the tray out of his view

“Yah Hyung!” Minhyuk calls, Eunkwang sighs, I haven’t done anything wrong, he thought looking at the direction of the picnic table

“Yah” Minhyuk says in a lower tone but remains slightly fierce, Eunkwang looks back at him

“What did you do? Why are you in such a mood? You did something to someone at the table again huh? Or did you upset Bomi again?” he more stated than asked. Eunkwang was slightly offended and tried to cover up his mistake

“I didn’t think it would end up like that for Bomi! And besides, she said she didn’t mind” Minhyuk scoffs at the small flash back of Eunkwang running around the school with large balloons of Bomi’s face printed on as he screams out her name saying he is her number one fan and that they should vote for her on the student council team.

“Of course she minded, she was embarrassed in front of the whole school thanks to you! Why don’t you just ask her out already? Instead of ruining her opportunities” With that Eunkwang gasps placing one hand on his chest he shakes his head side to side disagreeing with him, he leans over into Minhyuks ear to whisper

“But it’s too soon! She doesn’t even know I like her, it would be an entire shock!” he said leaning back, Minhyuk rubbed his face covering the disbelief he had on the older friend, he shook his head, this guy must really be an idiot or she might be oblivious or they’re both just really stupid, he thought to himself. Eunkwang turns his head back to the table, watching the small group increase with Changsub and JiHoon joining the table and Hyunsik is now sitting below the table on the cement step.

“If it wasn’t for Hyunsik I would’ve had her jealous by now” Eunkwang mutters, Minhyuk uncovers his face at the realization

“You did something to Hyunsik?” he asks, Eunkwang looks back at Minhyuk instantly replying

“No! I didn’t do a thing!” Minhyuks eyebrows rose

“Oh yeah? Then why don’t we just go over there now?” he asks liking his suggestive idea and the stuck up reaction he got from Eunkwang

“Yeah let’s go!” he said sticking up his nose and heading outside, after a couple of steps out of the cafeteria did Eunkwang start to shorten the distance he took and slowed his pace. Minkhyuk walked behind Eunkwang enjoying his friends change in behavior as they get closer to the table. He is itching to know what he had done to act this way so he increased his pace having his hand push the back of Eunkwang to increase his speed as well. Eunkwang is starting to resist by pushing back onto Minhyuks hand rejecting to move any further but is ignored by Minhyuk as he just smiles applying more pressure.

“Hey guys!” Minhyuk calls, the group turns to face the caller with warm smiles as they recognized the voice, but it all goes silent as Hyunsiks eyes glare at that one person. Sungjae and Jihoon, the only two who doesn’t understand the situation wave at their older friends

“Hello~” Sungjae sang along with Jihoon giving off a polite wave as they come over, the poor naïve children stops as they realized that their mates had their eyes glue on their leader. Eunkwang who felt very awkward about the situation just stood there with his tray of food in one hand and shaking the other hand as a small wave

“H-hey everyone” he spoke scanning each ones expressions, they all glare him down with sleazy smiles, Changsub had a glint in one of his eyes as he waves one hand with a silent greeting. Eunkwang felt really uncomfortable then he saw Hyunsik and his poor choice of words were spoken

“Hyunsik, I heard to had a secret admirer~” he oddly said in confidence nervously chuckling at his comment he is now cursing himself in thoughts. He glanced at Peniel and Changsub watching their sleazy smiles grow wider. He grew frightened, he was scared to look at Hyunsik again but when he got the courage to do so Hyunsik surprisingly had his eye smile showing that sent shivers down his back. He cursed one more word that he could’ve done at that moment and threw his tray in the air running for his life.

Hyunsik had barely made any movement to cause Eunkwang to soar back to the cafeteria but jumped up the moment their leader had started to run away. Minhyuk just laughed when Hyunsik passed him, he chuckled at the chase and sat down in the same spot where Hyunsik was sitting. Already panting Eunkwang looks behind to see Hyunsik close behind. Eunkwang had such a terrified expression he has always been hopeless with sport. Hyunsik caught up to the terrified leader quickly and easily tackled down the thinly built boy. His arms wrapped around him Hyunsik lets go and sits on the leader grabbing him by the collar of his shirt.

“Why did you do that?” Hyunsik growled looking fiercely into the leaders eyes

“I didn’t want you to bring such girls onto our table!”

“So you acted like a girl to tell me?”

“It’s not like I dressed up as one” a smile grew on Hyunsiks face

“I’m sorry Hyung but the others and I have decided to give you a punishment”

“Hey you can’t punish the leader! I was doing the guys a favor!”

“It’s because of your behavior we decided to do this, and it’s like what I always say, ‘we need to put those out back in line’ and besides, why do that? When you could’ve made her jealous” Hyunsik teased, Eunkwang growled at last comment

“It’s all your fault! Why do you have such charms and good looks? You could’ve helped me out!”

“You could’ve asked! For both the reasons why I tackled you, you’ve got to start asking for help!” Hyunsik knew how Eunkwang likes to keep to himself, really, the only people who don’t is Sungjae and Changsub and sometimes Peniel but beside the point Eunkwang has never really asked anyone for help or opinions and as a result he makes a fool of himself. Everyone knows that he’s embarrassed to ask but yet he has the capability to be a strong leader which gives him the original personality.

“What’s going on here?” A female voice spoke out, the two boys looked up to the feminine speaker

Min Sung along with IIhoon and Bomi stood in front of the two males on the ground. They quickly get up dusting themselves off of the thin dust. Hyunsik didn’t know why he felt embarrassed seeing Min Sung their but he ignored her gaze unlike Eunkwang who had his eyes glued on Bomi not wanting to make a fool of himself and instead trying to make himself look manly, he clears his voice and pops out his chest

“I had to put back Hyunsik back in line, he stepped out so I helped the others by putting him back in” He said with a deep voice, Hyunsik sighed, why does everyone use that around me? It’s what I say! He thought to himself. Bomi unsure what to say stuttered with her words as she pointed out

“He was on top of you” she said using her finger to indicate who ‘he’ was

“Yeah how were you ‘putting him back in line’ while you were the one being tackled?” IIhoon joined in with a sly smile stained on his face, man he looked like his brother at that moment except for the hair colour. His light brown hair pulled back into his black hat, his arms crossed and his head was angled looking up at his leader.

Eunkwang was baffled he didn’t know how to cover it up, he tried to look around for something to use then Hyunsik voluntary chimed in

“He was going to tackle me before you guys came, you could see the anger in his eyes. Because of him I’ve learnt to stay in line” Hyunsik says wanting to choke Eunkwang but hides his urge with eye smile.

IIhoon raises his eyebrows surprised by his choice of words, what is he doing? He thought but the comment hasn’t changed Bomi’s perspective on Eunkwang since her expression was still the same.

“Oh, well. Okay, I guess” she said not really sure what to do next, so instead she stepped back a bit to let the others talk.

“Why are you here Bomi? Is there something you wanted to ask us?” Hyunsik asked just a bit curious of her company. Bomi opened to speak but before she could Min Sung answered for her

“She just wanted to see if anyone could help her and her charity group set up for a new spot in town for donations” Bomi wanted to stop Min Sung before she reached any further to finishing the sentence but stopped as it was too late. The information that went to Eunkwangs head made him smile from ear to ear, he liked the idea of helping Bomi out and having the opportunity to look manly in front of her.

“I’ll do it! I’ll help!” He volunteered raising his hand up like a child, Bomi obviously expressed through her body language that she didn’t want to have Eunkwang to help but he was too happy to notice. Min Sung felt guilty after realizing and volunteered herself, Hyunsik joined knowing he should keep an eye on his hyung. Then one the days of helping, he dragged Changsub along that brought along Sungjae after finding out that Min Sung was doing it. While Peniel and JiHoon had other things to do, IIhoon just passed by when he had nothing to do and there was Minhyuk who just went to the gym.