Eight

Rivaled Society

“Sungjae let me out!” A yelled was echoed through the classroom door and expanded into the hallway. Minhyuk who was walking past had his head turned, a smile growing on his face as he walks over to the closed door to take a peek through the small window. Chuckling he shakes his head and continues to walk.

Inside the classroom were a very angry female and a giggling male. A hand covered his mouth as he watched his female friend trying to struggle out of a thin slim cupboard which contained cleaning supplies. The teacher standing at the front of the room was not impressed with Sungjae’s presentation of their history assignment. Tapping her feet on the ground their history teacher watched Sungjae chuckle at the banging cupboard begging for escape.

“Sungjae let her out” She demanded.

But Sungjae was distracted with his own amusement that didn’t hear his teachers request and continued to chuckle amongst himself. The teacher sighs readjusting her glasses before asking again but is stopped by a volunteer.

“I’ll let her out Miss” Hyuk offered getting up from his seat and heading over to the cupboard.

“Thank you” the teacher thanked glaring at Sungjae trying to make sure he heard that which he didn’t.

Hyuk goes to the cupboard and unlocks the handle, twisting the knob he opens the door slightly, peeking his head through. Only seeing darkness he hears a rapid pant, widening it open the light hits on Min Sung sweating from the closed environment, sweaty and angry. For sure she was going to kill Sungjae. Her growling expression dies down the moment she realises the person standing in front of her was Hyuk. Heart beating fast she stands still, mesmerized long enough with open, she was speechless and embarrassed.

It took a short moment but it felt long enough for Sungjae whose fun had stopped when he noticed Min Sung standing dumbfounded in front of her crush. Hyuk extends his hand out for Min Sung to take but Sungjae wouldn’t have it. Instead Sungjae marches up to her, grabbing her by the wrist and dragged her away from Hyuk who had ruined his fun.

Lunch came after that lesson and Min Sung had the dramatic urge to chase and tackle Sungjae but stopped in her tracks when Hyuk appeared in front of her.

“Hey, Min Sung” Hyuk greeted. Even though they were seated together in class, Min Sun didn’t have the courage to talk to him after the wardrobe encounter. The supposed image she could have looked; bearing teeth, drool possibly dripping him her lips or her hair from the humidity could’ve resembled a lunatic. During the lesson she tried to flatten her hair without anyone noticing and had wiped the feeling of drool that may or may not have been there.

“Hey Hyuk” she greeted back trying hard to not daze out at his masculine beauty. He wasn’t covered in muscle he was lightly toned, his jawline was nicely defined and his smile shines. His eyes like to follow his smile making a lovely image to daydream about.

“How are you feeling?” he asked beginning the small talk,

“I-I’m alright”, Damn it why am I stuttering? She argued to herself.

“Oh, okay, good! It’s just you seemed really worn out back there and a bit vicious too” Hyuk joked chuckling a bit while Min Sung felt the need to melt into the ground to hide away from embarrassment. Walking down the hallway Hyuk spoke again.

“But I don’t blame you I would’ve wanted to do the same thing. Since the weather is getting warmer.” Min Sung blinked up at him, he is so reasonable! Nothing like Sungjae!

“Oh in the cupboard it started to heat up really quickly I know my screaming didn’t help. I felt like I was soon going to suffocate!” Min Sung explained not taking her eyes off him, cracking a little smile on his face he nervously scratched the side of his nose “yeah lucky I saved you, your friend didn’t want to get you out just yet” Min Sung hearing the topic changing to Sungjae made her pout.

“Yeah he likes to bully me at times, he just doesn’t grow up!” Min Sung complained then soon mentioned the times he had tricked her. Like the time he had locked outside her own house on a cold winter night having to sleep in the bushes or the time he had pretended to give her a really nice gift for Christmas but ended up as a stolen item from his mother’s collection, luckily his mother understood about her son’s behaviour towards Min Sung and forgave her quickly.

“How long have you guys been friends?” Hyuk asked curiously.

“About all my life, we met around the age of three? That’s what my mom told me, even then he bullied me” Min Sung explained sighing at the memories of the past.

Walking down the stairs and meeting the sun on the quadrangle the heat waved onto their faces. After blocking the suns ray with their hands Min Sung spots the picnic table almost feeling sad of having to say goodbye soon.

“Well” Hyuk said, one hand rubbing the back of his head he coughs nervously “then, if anything happens you can come to me, I can” he coughed again averting his eyes “be your—” He was cut off.

Two boys marched up to the pair. They glared at Hyuk before snatching away Min Sung pulling her by her wrists.

“Your superhero” he finished disappointedly.

“Yah! Oppa! Sungjae! What are you guys doing!?” Min Sung asked irately trying to pull out from their grips. Yoseob tugged on her wrist to pull her and Sungjae did not dare to look back at Min Sung. Reaching the picnic table Min Sung’s eyesight came clear in the shade, the group of Btob and Jihoon sat staring at her quite angry, why?

“What’s going on?” She asked irately confused,

“We heard you failed your history presentation” Yoseob said darkly, stern eyes on his younger sister.

“After all the hard work we did to help you!” Eunkwang complained,

“You cried for help! So we helped you and you failed?” Said Changsub,

“And now we see you walking happily with a boy? Exactly what were you doing when we were trying to help you?” Yoseob said his voice sounding darker than before, he is obviously holding in his anger trying not to scream.

“What I failed?” Min Sung questioned the angry expressions growing.

“The presentation results don’t come out until tomorrow” she said,

“Don’t lie” Hyunsik warned his eyes narrowing fiercely at Min Sung,

“Sungjae told us that you were too hung around a boy that you didn’t properly finish off your presentation” Min Sung raised an eyebrow.

“Sungjae said that, did he?” She asked almost as dark as her brother, slowly looking at her friend who also had an angry expression, arms folded and an angry pout given to her.

“You said what!?” She screamed at him,

“You hang around Sanhyuk too much!”

“Only in history! Are you kidding? You lied to them because I talk to Sanhyuk?” She yelled, Min Sung turned to the angry group to straightened things out.

“I did not fail the presentation, in fact that guy!” Pointing at Sungjae “threw me in a cupboard and left me to suffocate! And Sanhyuk, the smartest one in our history class, let me out since ‘somebody’ didn’t want to!”

Stunning everyone in the group they still weren’t convinced. Min Sung sighed but she wasn’t going to give up, her friends and her brother don’t believe her. It was straight out there but she needed to let them know that she is not that type of person.

“She’s right” A voice spoke from behind, turning around was Minhyuk sipping innocently on his juice box.

“It appears that I have a study period every time you guys have history” He chuckled, walking past them to sit on a step.

Everyone stared at him like he was some wizard, since when did he appear?

“Although, I didn’t see when your classmate set you free but I saw you were stuck in the cupboard and Sungjae was laughing like a kid” Minhyuk said innocently his eyes wide like a little know-it-all sipping in more of his drink as he glanced at the three who stood in front of him. Sungjae’s wrists balled up watching his Hyung batts his eyes at him as if he was unaware of the situation.

Minhyuk knew.

He knew what Sungjae was thinking but how much did Sungjae know himself? Idiot, he just doesn’t want his friend to leave him but being a complete bastard towards her is not the way to go.

Sungjae stares down at his Hyung almost murderously but Minhyuk ignores the tension the other is trying to create.

“What? Want to object?” He pushes further,

“No”

Walking to a small field used for sport Hyuk met his club mates sitting on a picnic table. N and Ken seated properly across each other chatting amongst each other, Ravi sitting on the seat between them faced the outer direction with his leg draped over the other, Leo standing reading his script analysing it closely and Hongbin with his large, black camera trying to take a close-up photo of a butterfly for his photography class.

Sighing Hyuk sits on the seat Ravi sat on, pouting he extends his arms out on the table.

“You okay Hyukkie?” N asks,

“It’s just –”

“You couldn’t ask her out huh?” Ravi interrupted not glancing at him one bit. Looking at his hands fumbling together Hyuk hummed nodding. Rubbing his head in his extended arms he groans “I don’t think her friends like me” Hyuk mumbled stressfully.

“Why do you think that?” Ken asked tilting his head.

“They all glared at me as if I was some troublemaker” Hyuk pouted resting his head on his arm facing N. The leader pouted.

“My little Hyukkie is not a troublemaker, how dare they!” N said furiously standing up but hitting his hip on the table resulting him to flop back down hissing in pain.

“Relax hyung” Leo spoke softly turning away from his script at the noise of his leader.

“Yeah they must have just misunderstood” Ravi assured looking over his shoulder to glance at the youngest. Clicking his tongue Ravi stood up “Why don’t you show us who the girl is?”

“Why do you want to see her?” Hyuk asked,

“I recognise a lot of people in this school, one glimpse at her I’ll know what kind of crowd she hangs out with” Ravi said.

“Yeah let’s go! I want to see her too!” Ken cheered as he pumped a fist in the air as a declaration of their fun hunt. Hongbin smiled wanting to go as well moving away from the butterfly, Leo held his book by his side with his thumb bookmarking the page. N got up and encouraged Hyuk to move by lightly shaking his shoulders, groaning in refusal Ravi tickled Hyuk making him jump in his seat. A caring tug on the arm from his ‘mother’ Hyuk was lead off the seat and stood at the front of the group with Ravi beside him.

“Is that her? Or is that her? No, wait! It’s her! That’s her right!?”

“Ken shut up!” N shouted turning back to the boy.

Walking into the quadrangle where picnic tables were commonly placed, the population of the crowd was low which meant the boys would have to hide behind the trees that were near them to prevent being caught. Shuffling themselves in a line they followed the two at the front which were Hyuk and Ravi. Hand signals were used for the company behind them to come or halt behind the trees they’ve passed.

Reaching the only picnic table that was under a fully shaded tree Hyuk blushed as he spotted Min Sung. The girl is seated on a picnic seat bench facing the direction of the cafeteria. She was harshly lecturing the boy next to her who Hyuk could tell was Sungjae. Her tough voice was heard surrounded by the laughter of the group of boys at the table. Another female was there talking with another boy wearing a cap which Hyuk could identify was Jihoon and IIhoon who were in a few of his classes.

“She’s the one sitting on the edge of that seat” Hyuk pointed from behind the tree, he can feel his friends climb up from behind him poking their heads through to try and get a glimpse of the crushing girl, he felt embarrassed as Ken teasingly punched him on the shoulder “You lucky guy” he said.

“I have never seen that girl ever before in my life” Ravi said bluntly, shocking everyone.

“What!” N shouted quietly,

“I thought you could recognise anyone!” Hyuk argued,

“I swear I never even seen a glimpse of her before” Hyuk was about to say something before Ravi cut him to it first.

“But I do know these guys” Ravi said narrowing his eyes to confirm his suspicion.

“Yeah, uh Hyuk you’re in trouble” Ravi said examining the group of boys chatting amongst each other.

“Trouble? What kind of trouble?” Hyuk asked quickly,

“Those boys, I’ve heard about them” Ravi said continuing to look at them.

“What about them?” Hyuk asks shakily,

“Well, they’re called BtoB: Born to Beat. As in…” Ravi hit a fist into his hand, Hyuk’s face paled.

“They are…” N spoke quietly, Ravi turning around to confirm N’s suspicion.

“They beat” He said,

Everyone looks at Hyuk, the little duckling has become a lifeless soul standing like a statue.

“Oh my poor baby!” N cried pulling the statue into a strong hug.

Leo who was reading his script for a moment pulled away at the sound of a familiar voice, a male voice, his fellow cast member.

Looking over the crowd of a crying mother, a stunned son and a whimpering child, Leo saw ahead of him was Yang Yoseob and seeing the girl more clearly was his younger sister. Leo ignoring the sobbing group went over towards the table stunning everyone behind the tree.

“What the heck is he doing?” Ken asks behind Ravi shaking him from the shoulders harshly, making the boy dizzy.

“Yah Leo!—” N called out but stopped the moment Leo’s distance was too far to speak any louder.

Walking closer to the table, Leo stood by his small cast member the other just looking up at him in a small surprise, throwing a polite smile his cast member spoke.

“Ah Leo! What’s up? What you doing here?” Yoseob asked catching the attention of Min Sung, pulling away from her lecture she was tirelessly giving Sungjae. She smiled.

“Do you want to come over to practice again?” Yoseob asked, not giving Leo the time to speak but paused for a response.

“Ah, no it’s not that” Leo said, he is uncomfortable when he speaks to others he can’t properly express what he wants often but, on stage the words are prepared for him so it makes it easy for him.

“The new script…” Leo lifted up his script and pointed to it “…has been printed out” he informed.

Yoseob’s eyes widen “Oh right! That was today wasn’t it?” he asks rhetorically taking the script from Leo’s hand to examine the new lines.

“This looks great, I’m going to go get one now, Thanks Leo!” Yoseob smiled, giving a small wave to the crowd and Leo he jogged off to retrieve his script.

Leo feeling like he did a good deed smiled and started to walk off back to the tree before he was stopped by a girl’s voice.

“Are you coming by today?” Min Sung asks, Leo turned around to look at the sibling of his cast member standing by Sungjae.

“You know how my brother is, he loves to learn from you” Min Sung smiled, resembling her brother. Leo shook his head.

“Study” he said simply, Min Sung understanding just nodded.

“Okay then, maybe next time” She said before turning around to sit. Leo nodded and turned back to the tree. Looking at the tree he saw his group of interesting people wave their hands around telling him not to come any closer. Sharply stopping on the spot Leo caught a lot of attention from the group on the picnic table. That’s right, they didn’t want to be seen, Leo thought.

“Hey you okay?” A boy asked, Leo looked over to the smaller boy sitting beside a girl. He’s seen him before, over at Yoseob’s house.

“Yes”

“Why are you walking that way?” The girl next to him asked pointing to the tree in the dark shade.

“No sun” Leo said before heading towards the tree making a sharp turn after a long, slow walk besides the tree whispering a ‘sorry’.

“How dare he leave us here!” Ken pouted crossing his arms. The group of boys are stuck behind the tree as a certain young male had been eyeing it since Leo’s departure.

“It’s not our fault! Hyuk had to fall in love with a girl in a group of gangers!” Ravi whispered harshly causing the little duckling to flick his head around.

“What? You’re blaming it on me?” Hyuk questions, he points a finger to Ravi “You were the one who wanted to see who it was!”

“Yeah and you didn’t even know who she was!” Hongbin joined in, his camera hanging around his neck.

Ravi put his hands up in surrender shaking his head he admitted defeat.

“Okay I must admit that I did say I was good at identifying people, but you can’t blame a man for being curious”

“Well, you can’t blame a guy for being in love” Hyuk spat back before slapping shut his mouth. Did he just say love? He grew red of the unconscious confession.

Looking down he could feel his friend’s eyes on him, soft, shocked and surprised eyes he could feel. Feeling a blush appear on his cheeks Hyuk heard a sound of a soft slicing shutter of a camera, everyone looks up. Hongbin had his camera focused on Hyuk capturing the moment of the ducklings first love experience.

“I thought our mother would like to have it” He said evilly, yeah not like you’re going to blackmail me later on, Hyuk thought to himself as he watches Hongbin move over to N to show the image. Mother N squeals at the picture of his cute adorable duckling in the HD photography quality, N’s two hands curled into fist lifted up to squish his own cheeks adoring the moment. Hongbin smirks, yeah he is going to use that against me, Hyuk mentally clarifies.

Hongbin draws the camera away from N and takes a few more shots in the scenery they were in. Hongbin always has a calm aura around when he takes photos but this time his aura seems a bit… suspicious.

“Well if it has to come down to this, we might have to climb the tree” Ravi suggested, taking a step back to examine the tree in front of him.

“What! No, I’m not doing that!” N protested,

“Fine, suit yourself” Ravi said moving over the tree feeling the texture and finding a spot to grip on.

“Can you give me a leg up?” Ravi asked looking back at N and Hyuk. The two exchanged looks and grinned, developing the same idea.

They moved up to Ravi and grabbed his feet, lifting him up into the tree they toss him up harshly.

“Ow okay next time do it softly” Ravi complained as he sat on the tree rubbing the back of his head.

“Okay who is up next?” He asked, no-one responds they look up at him, smiling. Feeling a bit uneasy Ravi asks “What?”

“Do you know how to get down?” Hongbin asks, his hands fiddling around his camera. Ravi observes his surroundings.

“Not really, I’ve seen these in movies. Never really done it before”

The bell rings for class and the chatter around them starts to slowly move away.

“Oh, well, okay. Well we got to go. The crowd behind you are gone now” Hyuk said smiling, the group below Ravi start to move away, grins on all of their faces.

“Wha-? Wait! You’re not going to leave me up here are you? Yah! Come back!” Ravi shouted, Hongbin to a shot of Ravi in the tree before they walk off, the distant sound of laughter behind him start to fade. He continues to shout out to them, calling them to come back.

After realising that they weren’t coming Ravi clenched his hands into fist, Oh man my teacher is going to mad again, he thought to himself. Hearing footsteps shifting on the grass Ravi lifts his head up in the direction of the sound.

Leo came into view, looking at his friend he didn’t show a questioned expression but instead extends his arms out to Ravi. Ravi catching on rejects the offer.

“What you think I’m a kid? I’m not jumping into your arms!” He shouts, Leo dropped his arms not showing any emotion and starts to walk away. Leo likes to help but if no-one wanted the help he won’t help them, as simple as that.

“Wait! Wait Leo! Come back!” Ravi calls Leo walks back to the stubborn boy and looks at him with a blank but readable expression, so you wanted help after all, it said. He stands back in the position he was before with his arms extended out Ravi grunts and prepares himself to jump.

As he lifted off the tree Leo stepped aside for Ravi to instantly meet the ground.

His face squashed into the ground, Ravi weakly got up spitting out grass he got in his mouth.

“What the heck was that?” He shouts. Leo shifts beside Ravi and positions himself in a landing figure.

“When you land, you should be like this” Leo instructed. His feet on the ground, legs bent, and a hand lightly touching the grass. Leo gets up and walks away, picking up his bag that was resting against the tree he head off to a building.

Ravi sat there now not bothering to go to class and decided to skip it.

“Now I just want to practice landing” Ravi said lying down on his back. He admits that Leo is a good teacher he motivates other to learn new things, he just likes to help.

“Did he die?” A voice spoke out, a poke was felt on Ravi’s cheek.

“Hey don’t do that!” Ravi opened his eyes in shock he didn’t know he fell asleep.

Getting up caused the crowd to jump back, the crowd around him was the BtoB group, the gangers.

“Oh look he’s alive!” one boy spoke out,

“Well of course he is Sungjae! Don’t point out the obvious!” a girl said. Another boy around asked Ravi,

“What are you doing here? You gave us a shock right now seeing your body behind this tree, we thought you were dead” Ravi blinked, they… he thought to himself …aren’t angry.

“N-no I just got comfy” Ravi joked hesitantly causing the others around him to laugh.

After some comments and short conversations came in between the awkwardness Ravi felt a little bit comfortable with the group surrounding him.

“Hey, if you don’t mind me asking but –” Ravi started grabbing their attention

“Go on” the boy Minhyuk encouraged

“Well, your group name, ‘BtoB’ as in ‘Born to Beat’ what do you guys mean? As in, do you guys –” Ravi ask putting his fist in his hand. The boy Minhyuk blinked at him.

“Wow, I didn’t think people knew our group name” Minhyuk chuckled a bit. The tall boy behind him with black hair spoke next

“Yeah! We do beat!” He said playfully punching his friend beside him who started to whine childishly but attempted to hit back.

“Hey stop it!” a boy named Changsub ordered but the two boys in the back didn’t stop, they were horrible anyway. Changsub turned to Ravi

“Nah, we don’t beat really”

“they just think they can” the girl that Leo talked to added in and the two boys in the background stopped and whined

“We can too! Watch this!” the taller boy cried out before doing a karate cry imitating a ninja moving into a fighting stance to jump in the air but fall on his not hitting his opponent one bit. The crowd around him laughs and Ravi couldn’t help but die at that moment.

Recovering from his laughter an idea crept upon Ravi,

Hyuk hold on, there’s a bit of revenge up my sleeve, he grinned.

------

A/N

Ooh what is Ravi going to do?