Ten

Rivaled Society

Today was a bit eventful for Min Sung, thanks to her ‘father’ he sued their family for realising he had a daughter. As a result, since the money demand wasn’t as large as feared, Min Sung offered to get a job. As much as her mother didn’t want to put her through work, Min Sung went job hunting with Ilhoon and both got a job at popular café. Ilhoon informed Min Sung that the same thing had happened to him and the reason to how their ‘father’ found out was when he tried to get back with their mothers, on the same day.

Disgusting

“So you start work today?” Sungjae asked as he took a bite out of his sandwich, Min Sung nodded.

“Yeah IIhoon and I start work an hour after school”

“Oh good you have time to eat before you leave” Sungjae pointed out, Min Sung laughed.

“You and food seriously, I’m not letting you come home!” Sungjae eyes grew wide as turned to look at Min Sung.

“What! Why not? You’re mum is making that really good dish today isn’t she? It’s Thursday!” Sungjae complained throwing the last piece of his sandwich on the ground. IIhoon who was sitting next to Min Sung poked his head through to look at Sungjae “You’re not going to her place if that’s what you’re going to do to her mother’s food” he pointed out.

“You’re going to her place after school!?” Sungjae’s eyes widen even more.

“Yeah, we have work together! Why would we not? And besides we’ll be working until closing time so I’m sleeping over as well” IIhoon added on with a smile, Sungjae threw whatever was in his hand onto the ground and stood up “That’s it, I’m sleeping over as well”

“What!? You can’t do that!” Min Sung complained standing up as well not meeting Sungjae’s height, the tall boy just smiled and patted her head “Yeah I can” Min Sung got angry and punched Sungjae in the chest, hitting all the air out of him from the unexpected blow. The boy almost fell as a result, Min Sung has been now been physically attacking Sungjae for his actions and the group doesn’t seem to mind. If anyone was going to put him in place, it would be her.

A boy in the background seemed to have paled and ran back to his group at a picnic table “She just punched Sungjae! What do I do if I go out with her?” Hyuk was freaking out, when the club met up with Ravi the next day he ‘informed’ that he was almost beaten up and that they wouldn’t hesitate to attack those he knew.

“Calm down Hyuk you don’t have to ask her out, why are you even trying when it could hurt you?” Mother N asked as he patted the seat beside him.

“I don’t know, I don’t want to upset her” Ravi tried not to laugh, this was the punishment they got from leaving him up in the tree, it may be over the top but he was enjoying it to stop.

“Maybe, you could, say no? I’m sure, she wouldn’t, hurt you, if, she likes you” Leo said softly, he was confused as he knew Min Sung more than the others in his group. To understand why she suddenly became brutal was a mystery. Ken’s head popped up.

“Hey Leo hyung, do you think that maybe, you can go over her place?” Ken asked, everyone’s head turned to face Leo.

“Why?” Leo asked, not wanting to know.

“Maybe you can perhaps spy on her for us? Be an undercover detective?” Leo’s eyes furrowed, he didn’t like that idea at all “Let’s say that you go over and rehearse your play or whatever you are doing” Leo glared at Ken at the insult as Ken pointed to the script “and that way you can keep your eye on the girl”

“Min Sung” Hyuk corrected “Right” Ken nodded.

“No” Leo said bluntly, Ravi again tried not to laugh. Hongbin who was skimming through the pictures on his camera pointed out “Leo hyung likes to focus on his work unlike you guys” He mentioned, Hyuk beg to differ “didn’t I say that I came first in history?” Hongbin shrugged and continued “well, since I’m not doing anything how about I tag along?” it went silent for a brief moment for some thoughts then N clapped his hands together “Well then it’s settled”

School ended and Min Sung and Ilhoon ran all the way to her house and greeted her mother, the woman came from the kitchen followed by the aroma of her special dish “Welcome home” she greeted kissing the cheeks of the two “hey mum it smells good” Min Sung complimented, her mother smiled and thanked her before walking to the kitchen.

Min Sung and Ilhoon went up to her room to drop off their bags before preparing their uniforms, laying them neat and tidy on the bed. It was an apron with the golden logo printed on with a white plain t-shirt and some black pants, “I thought girls wear skirts” Ilhoon commented “it’s an option. I don’t want to have guys feeling me up, I’ve seen that in a lot of movies and ugh” Min Sung shivered at the thought, Ilhoon laughed.

Min Sung’s mother called from the end of the hall and she and IIhoon responded walking into the dining room covered with multiple dishes “wow mum I think you went overboard” Min Sung commented laughing a bit, Ilhoon said it seemed fine and went to their seats to eat next to each other.

“Oh Gaeng how are you? I haven’t seen you yet” Yang Gaeng came out of Yoseob’s bedroom after they guessed a long nap and was gladly wagging his tail, paws propped on her seat. “I can’t give you anything sorry you’re going to have to wait” she said kissing the top of his head. IIhoon commented, “Every time my brother kisses his dog it just faints, no kidding” Min Sung and her mother laughed “Well that is because your brother is handsome” Min Sung said “you saying I’m not?”, “you’re alright” Min Sung joked while IIhoon playfully acted offended.

There was a knock on the door and Min Sung’s mother went up to answer, seeing a tall figure by the door Min Sung groaned as she knew who it was, Sungjae. He walked in with his goofy smile as he greeted Min Sung’s mother with a big hug and kiss on the cheek before dropping his bag by the door, his bag was overly packed with what she guessed was his night clothes “Mary Yang I hope you don’t mind if I stay overnight” he said replacing his goofy smile with his winning one, Min Sung groaned “No don’t let him stay!” She yelled and Sungjae just waved his hand over and said “nice to see you too” Min Sung’s mother just giggled “It’s okay if you stay, as long as your parents know” Min Sung died on the table “Of course I asked permission before I came here” Min Sung scoffed, she knew that was a lie, he probably walked in his house, packed his things than ran out saying ‘I’ll be a Min Sung’s!’

Sungjae picked up his bag and disappeared off to Min Sung’s room before returning to sit at the table “Wow Ms Yang you cooked enough for a feast of more than twenty people” Min Sung’s mother blushed at another comment of overwhelming food “Well Yoseob is bringing over some of his friends to practice for his play today so I may have went overboard” She commented but Sungjae wasn’t listening but instead scanning over the plates to find the dish he has been dying for “found it!” he screamed before lunging over the table to grab it, they ignored him. “Yoseob Oppa is bringing people over?” she asked, her mother nodded “Yeah, he is bringing over that tall fellow and his friend”, “Oh you must mean Leo” her mother nodded “Cool. He couldn’t come over the other day. It’s a shame I won’t get to see him” Ilhoon in somewhat nodded a bit curious of his actions on that day.

When lunch ended they had half an hour to get ready and head to work, while Min Sung went to the bathroom to get dressed, IIhoon got ready in Yoseob’s room. Sungjae then and there again took little snacks of the remaining food from the table then stopped when Min Sung’s mother told him to “the others need to eat too, so if you please”, “Oh right of course, it’s just your cooking is really good it’s hard to resist” she blushed “why thank you”.

When the two came out dressed and clean, Min Sung’s mother squealed at how cute they matched and started to take photos “it’s a shame you two are half related” she commented “Mom! You don’t say that! Ever! That’s just wrong” Min Sung yelled, IIhoon agreed nodding his head.

“Sungjae you get in too!” and without hesitation Sungjae moved from behind Ms Sung to stand inbetween the two, an arm wrapped around Min Sung’s waist almost possessively as the other almost strangled IIhoon. Without noticing Min Sung’s mother took a snapshot of the moment and sighed at the scene, “you guys look all so great together, growing up” she said becoming teary “oh mom seriously” Min Sung groaned Ilhoon chuckling beside her a bit bashful. Sungjae went up to Ms Sung to put a comforting arm around her shoulder “you’re not getting any more food if that’s what you’re thinking” Ms Sung said and the others laughed understanding Sungjae’s motive.

The travel there was about a fifteen minute walk from their house to the café, Min Sung lived the closet to more the reason why Ilhoon was staying overnight. A farewell was given by her mother at the front door as she went off to work with IIhoon and Sungjae. When reaching the café it was extremely busy with many customers and rushing workers “it looks pretty full on in there” Ilhoon commented from the outside of the building, the two gulped thickly before entering the door with a chime on the door they were greeted by the manager.

“Right on time you guys” he greeted, Min Sung and IIhoon bowed politely before following the managers instructions to follow him. While the two got their roles and were listening to the manager’s every instruction, Sungjae ordered some cake and a cup of hot chocolate, collecting his table number and seating himself in a booth by the window.

Ilhoon and Min Sung instantly went about their jobs pretty quickly, wiping down each empty table preparing it for the next customers. Sweeping the crumbs and wiping up the spilt coffee. Sungjae went about his business and continued to wait for his order. Some girls invited themselves to sit down at the same booth as him but he politely shoved them away and looked over at Min Sung wiping a circular table close by. Min Sung said to the girls that the table she had cleaned was vacant they sat there and sent frowns over to Sungjae.

A ding went off and Min Sung was ordered to give it to table nine which was Sungjae “you’re picking this up pretty quickly” he complimented watching Min Sung place down his drink and cake “well, why do you think I do well in school? I catch on pretty quickly” she commented wiping the seat in front of him “oh that’s right, that’s why I’m always your partner for group activities” he said grinning childishly, “haha lucky me” she lightly joked before straightening up and leaving.

Picking up his hot chocolate he took a sip and was amazed at it, the stories I hear of their drinks are true! And happily took another sip. Min Sung went to the back to check up on Ilhoon, he was sweating. He didn’t have the best job of cleaning the floors. The chefs were rushing and dropping everything on the ground. Ilhoon had to crouch down to pick up items and had to continuously mop everything up repetitively, it seemed unfair. Min Sung was called to hand over another order and did after telling Ilhoon to keep fighting.

Soon his part was given to another male and he had to do a much simpler task which was stacking items. He moved to the cupboards and started to set up cans and bags of ingredients but it was never quiet. People always came up to him to ask him that they needed some bags or cans so he would either hand it to them or rush to the other side to give it himself. He admits it was better than being in the cramped heated area before and didn’t complain about this one.

The girls that were seated on the table have left, Min Sung went down to wipe and clear it up. She noticed Sungjae still sitting there taking his time with the slice of cake “how long are you going to stay here? You know there are groups people that want to have a booth” she asked folding her arms. Sungjae shrugged, “meh” he replied, Min sung chuckled in response, can’t help if it’s Sungjae, and went on with fixing the table.

Two boys walked past the café window and stopped when they saw a female waitress. Their eyes widen “she’s the one!” the smaller boy of the two said instantly. They rushed in, the door chiming as they were greeted by a different person. They ignored the other woman and went over to the waitress they saw in the window. The girl was shocked when she turned around, her eyes wide as they both stood and stared at her “yes?” she asked “this table is free here” she gestured to a wiped down clean table “she is it! She’s the one!” the taller boy announced. The girl was confused for obvious reasons “I’m sorry?” she asked but the smaller boy grabbed her wrist and started to drag her “let’s go! You need to help us!”

“What!? I’m not going anywhere with you!” Min Sung screamed pulling back from the strength “we need someone to help our friend, please help us!” the taller boy begged harshly tugging on her other arm. Sungjae reacted quickly standing up to march over there but that was after a blonde boy came through the door as well “Ricky! Changjo! What the heck are you doing!?” He asked obviously shocked, “We found this girl, she can help Niel!” the younger one cheered “stop that! That’s wrong!” he yelled and rushed over to help Min Sung.

Sungjae got over and angrily removed his hands off of her “what the heck are you guys trying to do!?” he yelled at all of them. When all the hands were removed the blonde boy stumbled back and had taken a good look at Min Sung, he was speechless while the other two boys were stunned by the height of the tall, angry male. Intimidated by the height they scurried away “Chunji let’s go” the taller male said grabbing his arm and dragging him away before they exited.

Sungjae turned to Min Sung “you okay?” he asked a very stunned Min Sung who stood frozen wide eye. Ilhoon who heard the ruckus ran over and stumbled through the tables to reach up to them “Min Sung” he breath taking a good look at her frightened expression, Sungjae what happened?” he asked panting from the panic. Min Sung had her heart racing from the shock and collapsed with overflowing tears. Workers in the café got up and surrounded Min Sung to comfort her and softly patted her back.

The manager came rushing over when he heard the news and pushed through the crowd to get to Min Sung. She was in Sungjae’s arms weeping away and the manager instantly asked “who are you?” before Sungjae could reply Ilhoon stepped in “He’s our friend, don’t worry the guys have left” he explained, the manager sighed “to let you know, this has never happened to us before. I apologise for this to have happened” Sungjae waved his hand “ah no, this could’ve happened to any shop really” but the manager continued to apologise.

“If you want you can take the rest of the day off” he said calmly, Min Sung shook her head “no, it’s okay. I just need a minute” the manager hesitated and before he spoke to insist she should go home Sungjae gave him a stare that explained that she wouldn’t leave even if dragged. So he nodded, “okay, when you feel better, continue to clean the tables” and he left. Ilhoon was ordered to return to work as well as the other workers.

Sungjae got Min sung to sit at the booth and offered her a bit of his cake, childishly picking a bit up by his fork to force feed her. Min Sung lightly smiled at his action but refused and sighed heavily, Sungjae’s smile he had dropped and he placed the fork down to place a hand on her shoulder as a comforting matter.

“You okay?” He asked, knowing the answer was ‘no’ but waited for her to reply “it was scary, what were they going to do with me?” she whispered breathily trying hard not to think about it, Sungjae sighed “you can go home if you want”

“No! I can’t go, I have work” she quickly replied, taking a Sungjae’s three times refilled hot chocolate she took a sip and was surprised herself “what they say about these are true” she whispered stunned staring at the mug, Sungjae smiled knowing this was her way to distract herself encouraged her to work.

Once the Café closed the manager thanked them and apologised again about the trouble, Min Sung even if she said she was alright was still shaky to honestly admit she was perfectly fine. When the manager locked the door they all bowed to each other and bid farewell. Walking down the dark street, Sungjae and Ilhoon walked on the side of Min Sung, having her perfectly in the middle.

Turning a corner they came to a stop when someone approached them, the boys instantly became ready to attack and defend Min Sung if she was the one targeted “Ah no!” The person spoke and stood under the light of the post, it was one of those boys that tried to kidnap Min Sung. Min Sung grew frightened and hid behind Ilhoon the boys stare turning into a fierce and deadly appearance “no wait please!” the boy begged instantly.

“Give us a good reason as to why we shouldn’t hurt you right now” Sungjae glared with a hint of death on his tongue. “I’m sorry!” the boy screamed. They paused but didn’t drop their guard, the boy in front of them bowed “I’m really sorry for what happened to your friend, I didn’t know what my friends were thinking, okay maybe I do know but it’s not what you think! Really! I promise we meant no harm!” he quickly explained briefly remaining to bow expecting a blow to his head but nothing.

“Why did your friends want her?” Ilhoon asked not giving away any personal information. The boy flinched but replied honestly “we’re kind of desperate. Not in that way! Don’t get me wrong!” he said standing upright and holding his hands out in defence “you see, our friend, Daniel... He recently met his downfall and well we needed someone to help him get out of the depressive state he is in. And we feel, that he needs a females guide to help him, we’ve done what we can but I think we need someone who can help him with a softer touch” he explained true honesty shown through his expression.

“If you still don’t accept my apology and don’t trust me I’ll give you my name, I’m Lee Chanhee others call me Chunji” he introduced bowing again. “I sincerely apologise for my friends, when they saw you, they must’ve thought that you could’ve helped us. They are young and still don’t know their manners so I apologise to you on their behalf but please accept my apology!” he said and waited for a response. Min Sung didn’t come out from behind Ilhoon and continued to stay there “Chunji, I’m sorry for your friend but she can’t help you” Sungjae said, “yeah, I’m sure you have frightened her for life now” Ilhoon added on.

“I know, I’m sorry. But I wasn’t really asking her to volunteer, it was what my friends have thought. I’m here to apologise on the behalf of their actions and to assure you that it won’t happen again” He cleared up.

“Well, good luck for your friend then” Sungjae finished and pulled Min Sung out from behind Ilhoon and held her tight in his grasp to walk past Chunji. Chunji had a good look at her and the more reason for this visit was to make sure she felt safe, and hope to change her point of view on him. Min Sung had looked at him with wide sympathetic eyes and nodded her head as a thank you, sorry and farewell before passing him. Ilhoon caught him staring and came into his view to give a warning glare before moving off.

“You can always quit work if you want, what are the chances that they would come back?” Sungjae asked still holding Min Sung in a strong grip “I’m not quitting” Min Sung mumbled “even after what they did, it was all a misunderstanding and the boy seemed very sincere to his words”, “you mean Chunji?” Ilhoon spat out “I saw the way he was looking at you, he’ll be back” he saw Min Sung swallow thickly at the comment “I’m still not—”, “We know” Sungjae sighed and let go of Min Sung “you wouldn’t stop even if I dragged you out” he joked tapping her nose with his fingertip.

“Let’s just hurry back now” Ilhoon sighed “your mother must be done with cook—”, “Food!” Sungjae interjected and bolted a couple of streets down.

“Thanks Sungjae about today” Min Sung thanked as she and Sungjae were sitting at the dinner table with some milk and biscuits, Ilhoon was in the bathroom washing off the filth from work, Ms Sung went to bed and Yoseob was already in a deep sleep after long hours of practice with Leo and his quiet wondering friend and Gaeng probably breaking the rules and cuddling up to Yoseob. “I guess it was good that you came over, I don’t know what would’ve happened if you weren’t there”

“It would’ve been chaotic that’s for sure” Sungjae mentioned with a quick chuckle “but hey I’m glad you’re okay” he said reaching his hand and placing it over Min Sung’s. Ilhoon walked out from the bathroom and walked his way to the kitchen drying his hair the way his brother taught him but stopped behind the corner when he noticed the moment. Min Sung smiled “yeah, you’re a really good friend, I don’t know what I’d do without you” she said, Sungjae smiled “me too” happy that he was.

Ilhoon who was listening felt sympathetic to Sungjae. But he can’t entirely since the idiot doesn’t know it himself, oh Sungjae what are you going to do? He thought and went to the bedroom instead.

  

 

A/N

Hello!

I’d like to start and say thank you for reading! It really means a lot to me, and how you have the time to read a chapter this long really make me happy! :)

And it's the tenth chapter! Woo double digits! xD

More interesting chapters are coming up and some awaited chapter from my co-author elly_gomez will be having hers up very soon to add in as to be honest is more interesting than mine. I’m editing hers at the moment and they will be up shortly after a couple of more chapters from me. Reason being, when hers were written we were waiting for a good time in the story where it could be placed and how smoothly it will fit so please be patient and look forward to hers and also check out her click and drags they are really good!

Thank you for reading and I hope stay with me, thank you!!