♥ 여덟 ♥

♥ The Lake House 호수 집 ♥

♥♥♥The Lake House ♥♥♥

♥ 20 March 2013 ♥

Jieun decided to pay her mother a visit. It has been almost a month since she last saw her mother. Two days ago, she need to shorten their visit and her mother has point out to her outrightly that day does not count for their monthly quality time. Well their previous time together has been a disaster. It was on Valentine Day where she has lunch on a club sandwich while her mother chatted away of someone's daughter caughter her husband knocking out with somebody else wife. Also, Jieun vividly remembered on that misfortunate day, a man has been killed when a bus had hit him when he was about to crossed the road. These has been told by the detective-in-charge that handled the case. And Jieun has been the doctor who attended to the decease man at the time of the accident.

Jieun heave a sigh.

Until to this day, she could not understand of any logical reason why the man could be so reckless to just cross one of the busiest road in Myeondong without caring much of the incoming vehicles. In her logic mind, it said that the man seems to be looking over the other side of the road - somewhere her mother and her has been enjoying their lunch. To say if she knows the dead man, as she recalled his disfigured face that caused by the bus slamming at a high speed towards his body, there was nothing much left for her to identify the man. And she has said so to Detective Dong Young Bae who has paid her a visit at the hospital, along with his million dollars question. According to him, that the dead man was looking directly to the spot where Jieun and her mother has been eating their lunch and from what he could gathered by the passer-by, the dead man has been standing at the curb - looking over the other side of the road, for quite sometime before he wrongly made his fatal move by crossing the road.

"Maybe you do know him from somewhere...?"

"Errr...no..."

"By any chance did you look at his face...?"

"Obviously I did look at his face - I need to carry out post mortem, Detective. But like I said before...I don't know him even with his disfigured face."

"Do you have any sort of stalker Dr Lee...?"

"Not that I am aware of. Should I be panic here?"

"Is he happens to be your long lost boyfriend making a grand return to avenge you but so unfortunately he has been the one to meet his fatal death...instead of you...?"

"WHAT the hell?!"

Dr Goo has to stop the interrogation. If not, Detective Dong has to be rush in for a super urgent cosmetic surgery when Jieun was making her way over to the surgical table and she was reaching over to snatch a scalpel.

"Pfft!! No need to be so over sensitive doc. I'm just doing my job here. Anyway, to reply to your earlier query of the decease family detail, I have acquire the contact number of his younger brother Han-something...Geesh, I forgot his full name. Well, don't you worry Doc. The deceased body will be claim by his younger brother by tomorrow."

"No wife no kids?"

"Not stated in his database though. Anyway, I better get going now. Good day, Dr Lee...Dr Goo."

Jieun did not bother to ask the deceased name either. To her, the less she knows about her dead patient family background, the better. The deceased man simply known to her as Valentines' J.D, the acronym stands for John Doe - a name that normally used for unknown patient or victim.

From a far, she could spotted her mother, lounging by the deck chairs that she has place it at her lawn yard. Jieun has called her mother earlier to inform of her visit. In the phone, her mother did sounds so beligerently happy, which makes her so much guilty for not spending much time with her. And there she was, her mother faithfully waiting for her arrival. As Jieun car drive in to the open garage where she will park her BMW X3, she could hear her mother joyful voice - greeting her as she walks to the moving BMW.

"Jieun, my sweet daughter, I am so happy that you have come for a visit!!"

Mrs Lee has always looking forwards to her only child visit during her rare off-day from the hospital. Since Jieun appa has died due to cancer, Mrs Lee felt so much alone living in a rather small terrace house. The house used to be filled with the laughters that belongs to both her late husband and her sweet Jieun. But now the house stood empty and way too quiet. No more laughters' from her late husband and most likely her only child. Jieun has taken so hard of her appa failing health that she refused to live in the house where she literaly grew up. Mrs Lee could never stop her from making decision to move out from the family house, right after her father death. Mrs Lee knows how firm Jieun could be when she has decided and put her heart on the matter itself. Refused to loose her only family which happens to be the seed of her happy marriage with her late husband, she give in to Jieun decision. For her, as long Jieun will make the time to visit her - anywhere will do, if it is still pain for Jieun to step inside the house that she once reside.

"You seems to be overly happy. Something great happen while I'm gone?" Mrs Lee still has her charming smile on her face as she ushered her daughter inside the house. She realised that her sweet daughter has grown thinner than the last time they had met. Well, Mrs Lee has prepared all Jieun favourite dishes which she knows her sweet daughter will not refuse to dig in. She has to remind herself to pack some of the foods for Jieun before she return back to her apartment.

"Well it is always a joyful moment for me when to come visiting me. And it has been a great joy that you seems at peace visiting me in this misfortunately house that you once grew up in." Mrs Lee walked ahead to the kitchen, missing the grump looks that Jieun has thrown at her back.

"I did not consider this house misfortunate..." She knows where this conversation will lead on and she needs to thread carefully. Her mother turn to her, waiting for her to finish her sentence. "What...?"

"Well finish what you want to say. I'm sure there is an extended sentence to that." Jieun glared at her mother.

"The house is full of his memories...and I will never be able to deal with it now, eomma." She felt her tears threaten to burst out from her eyes socket. She should know better. She should choose to meet her mother away from this house!

Mrs Lee just nodded her head. Her eyes too has turn misty but she is quick to wipe it away from her eyelid. She reach for the Lasagna baking dish where she has placed it at the kitchen counter. "Take this," She passed it over to Jieun for her to carry it over to the dining table. "You are too skinny!" She herself carry the 2 plates with her as she followed her daughter to the dining room.

Jieun just waved her off. "Remember how you will eat when you are little...?" She make a funny sound of a person grovelling lots of food inside their mouth. Jieun could only smiled at her mothers' antic.

"Yes..yes...Yes! I do remember. Now did you or did you not write to each other?" Jieun just sprung up the question to her mother out of nowhere. But she is dying to know if her favourite couple ever did the same like Jiyong and her currently practising. Mrs Lee did not show her reaction of how random the question that her daughter has thrown at her. "Is it about those letters that you showed to me the other day?"

Jieun shrugged her shoulder while making herself busy filling up her mother plates with the food that she has cooked earlier. She avoid her mother watchful eyes. "Well...it is but that's not the point here..."

Mrs Lee could not help but laugh out loud seeing her daughter - for the first time, acting all shy over something romantic like those exchanging letters with that strange man from the past. "Well who did I write the letter to - your father?"

"No. To the famous G-Dragon. Of course, to appa..." Jieun smiled patiently as she waiting to hear her mother replies. But her mother demeanor has change dramatically. She seems hesitant now. "I...errr...I..."

"What mom...?" Jieun frowned.

Mrs Lee avoid looking at her daughter eyes but as her sweet memories of that special one flash in front of her eyes like a movie flick, she smile calmly. "Before your father..."

Jieun noticed that her mother face now look so peaceful but once she utter those opening sentence, Jieun heart stop as she wait to hear of what her mother has to share her past memories with someone else, beside her late father. She prodded for her mother to continue. "Yes...?"

"...there was this boy that wrote me a beautiful love letter. Well, my letters too will be filled with my favourite poems from Rumi and Khalil Gibran..." Mrs Lee remains smiling at the thought of Taeyang  without sharing much to her daughter who she knows, gaping at her.

"Do you love him?" Jieun could not understand a bit of what she is feeling now. A certain of happiness bursting out deep from her heart when she heard her mother confession. "Yes...I do loved him."

Jieun eyes becomes misty once again and she could not help but allow the tears to flow down her cheek. "Why don't you ever marry him?"

Only then, Mrs Lee turn to look at her teary eyed daughter. "So that you could ask me this question some day..."

Both of women smiled to each other before continue to indulge with the food that Mrs Lee has prepared earlier.

 

As Jieun gets in at the driver seat, her mother was watching her by the car window. She looks up at her still very beautiful aging mother. "I will visit you again next off day alright."

Her mother nodded. But before her daughter started to drive out from the garage, she stoop down to the car window and whisper to her gently, "You should meet with this lovely boy...Jiyong. There is absolutely nothing wrong to be making the first move, ma cherie."

Before Jieun could rebuked with her mother crazy suggestion, Mrs Lee Mirae quickly walk away and enter the house without turning back. Jieun just heave a sigh and started to drive out from her mother garage.

♥♥♥

♥ 20 March 2011 ♥

Hanbin look at the glass house that stood erected by the lake where his elder brother Jiyong had inherited from their late mother. According to Jiyong, the house has been built by their eccentric father for their late mother and apparently she has died in the same house too. Hanbin was attending his boarding school when his mother has died.

"It looks smaller from here..." Hanbin said to his elder brother. He has surprised his brother when he has called him that he will be stopping by the Lake House. Luckily for him, Jiyong was still at home when he called earlier. Jiyong mentioned through the phone that he wanted to join his neighbour for fishing trip but since Hanbin wants to visit him, he has sound so happy to cancel the trip. "When did he complete it?"

"You weren't born and I was 8. If I'm not wrong, 5 years after he sold the Rakgojae," said Jiyong as he lift up his off the grass. "Come on." They walked back to the house. Jiyong then stop by the railing and he pulling up a rope that the end was tied to the handle of a basket out of the chilled lake. Inside the basket, there are few bottles of beer. Jiyong grabbed 2 bottles - handing it over to Hanbin, before he lifted down the rope into the lake once again. 

"Let's enjoy the lake view up on the roof." Jiyong lead the way up to the roof top. Once he reached to the roof, Hanbin follow closely behind him. Jiyong walk to the other end of the roof and pointing down to the surface of the lake. "I can't swim but I know there should be stairway down into the lake..." Hanbin look down where his brother was pointing. He nodded.

"...Porch or deck...here up on the roof, you're looking in a box...a glass box with a view to everything that surround you. But you can't touch it. No interconnection between you and what you looking at it."

Hanbin tries to understand his brother metaphoric view on the glass house. But his mind turns out blank. "I don't know...you know what. He's got these maple tree grown in the right of the middle of the house!" Hanbin was pointing to the maple tree - enclosing by the mobilised roof.

"Containment," Jiyong points out as his finger press a button on the console remote that lead to open up the glass roof revealing the maple tree. "Containment and control!"

Despite themselves, they laughed out loud. 

Jiyong took a swig of his Soju before he continue, "This house about ownership not connection. I mean, its beautiful but it's incomplete. And so about him..." He looks to the other end of the lake where he saw a yacht and on the top deck of the yacht, his neighbour Seunghyun lying on top of a towel with his fiancee beside him. 'I guess he too bailed out from that fishing trip.' He smiled.

Jiyong continue his lament, "Appa knows how to build a house, not a home." He turn suddenly at his brother which seems surprised by the action. "But you know, I think he wants us to do things of what he couldn't. By admitting that he came up short some way that he could do more...and that torture him."

"Do you remember living here with eomma?" 

Jiyong heave a sigh. "I remember she tries to make it work here...with us and him."

Hanbin could not agree more of what Jiyong describe their appa character. Growing up, like Jiyong, his relation with his appa has always been distance. Yes, the 3 of them share the passion for building but there it is all what it is between him and his appa. Luckily for him, he has a strong relation with his only brother, which suffice for him. After graduation, he duly accepted the post that his appa has specially design for him and it has been his utmost responsibilities, just like Jiyong, to continue the family legacy to built the most artistic buildings around the world. However, for Jiyong, after the death of their mother, he decided that he need to breakfree from any sort of obligation. And now that he is back in the family picture, Hanbin knows for sure that it pissed their father when Jiyong literally change his position from being one of the best South Korean architecture to now just a project coordinator for some local contractor. That fact alone should drive both him and his appa to the grave because Jiyong talent should not be wasted working as a project coordinator for a small project like his company is working on now.

'This conversation is getting depressing!' Hanbin took a big swig of his Soju, before continues, "Hey...what about Visionary Vanguard?"

"What about it?"

"Come on...you can't convince me that you will be happy building this scrap box for Hyundai E&C?! Nobody gonna admire your talent!" He walks behind his brother, closely behind him, while they make their way to the other end of the roof where they could enjoy the breezily wind.

Jiyong chuckled. "Admire me for what?"

"Yeah Visionary Vanguard!" Hanbin wave his two hands in a big round. "That's your idea!!"

Jiyong chuckled. "I can't...but you can keep the name."

"No!" Hanbin exclaimed delightly. "Come on, it's got to be you and me."

Jiyong shake his head as he continue to chuckle, "Hanbin...I'm sorry. I can't...I just have..."

Hanbin watched his brother struggled to string out his sentence. And he seems hesitant. Hanbin felt that his hyung is keeping something from him. And they never keep any secret from each other, not when Jiyong makes his disappearance act few years and his brother has already explained things to him earlier. "What...?"

"I've got other plan..." Jiyong mind's racing of how to share about his feeling for Jieun to his younger brother who also happens to be his best buddy. He can't stop smiling and tries his best to avoid Hanbin watchful eyes. He knows that his shyness and blushing has already done some damages.

Hanbin did saw his brother cheek flushing. He chuckled at the thought that just strike in his mind. "Do you have a girlfriend?" And the instant that question blurt out, with the way Jiyong trying to deny it, he knows that he has hit bulleyes!

"Nah..." Jiyong meant to walk away from Hanbin but the younger man pull his arm gently, before he said, "What is that...you hesitated!" Hanbin will not leave the situation just like that. He wants to tease his brother more until the elder man confess everything that he tried so hard to hide from him.

"No I did not hesitate!!" Hanbin just laughing away with his brother but his bodylanguage did not change a bit in telling Jiyong that he still wants everything to be out in the open. Jiyong realise the look that Hanbin is showing him. "Come on man, I didn't have anytime for this."

"What has the time got to do with it?" Hanbin won't bulge from his interrogation.

Jiyong knows that he has been cornered in the spot of no return. He just might well share what is to be share with his very inquisitive little brother who has golden heart. "Oh you gonna think that I'm crazy!"

Hanbin smirked. "Try me."

So Jiyong share everything that's happen between him and Jieun. He did not leave out anything behind. He even told Hanbin about the walk that Jieun has been gladly participated it and her admiration of the Rakgojae. And throughout his conversing about Jieun to his younger brother, Jiyong has been looking for any negative reaction from his brother. He do not want his younger brother to think that he has gone out of his element in getting involve in this situation with Jieun. As much it concern Jiyong, his strange relationship with Jieun is as real as his reality. There is no absolute strangeness about it. But he could not predict of how the reaction from others' who never been in the same situation like him. So far Hanbin has show positive sign by listening intently to what he is saying and makes the appropriate remarks now and then. By the end of the conversation, Jiyong could feel sweat trickling down his back while watching hopeful to Hanbin who has the smile plastered on his handsome face.

"So...?" Jiyong whispered the question as he stand in front of his brother who has look down in the direction of his shoe.

Hanbin heard the question and lift up his face to his brother who seems nervous. Truthfully, his mind goes blank to how he should be feeling about the time different between the both of them. He could not deny the fact that his brother is in love with this lady from the future and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. But the problem lies on the timeline. 'How can they possibly be together?' Hanbin heave a sigh but looks like he is breathing out heavily to cover his hesitant.

"Well...I am happy for you that you found love...or something near to that. But you do know about the timeline right?"

Jiyong nodded.

Hanbin smiled encouragingly. "I'm sure Dr. Lee and you will find a way to be together. Why not suggest a meeting...or...should I say go for dating? In the future?"

"I did think of it but I'm not really sure what's her reaction might be though."

Both men started to walk back inside the glass house as the dusk started to settled in. "Just go for it, hyung. Don't wait too long."

Jiyong nodded his head in agreement as he turn the door knob that open wide to his kitchen. "Come inside, let me cook for you some dinner."  

♥♥♥

♥ 22 March 2011 ♥

'21 Mar 2013,

My Dearest Mr Kwon

Are you willing to play a game with me?

2 years ago...today....I was taking the 1.45pm train from Cheongyangni station to Gapyeong station terminal and I forgot something there. I was with my ex-boyfriend.

It was a gift from my father. If you find it, can you please put it in the mailbox.

It would means a lot to me.

Jieun'

Jiyong manuevre his blue truck at the available parking space and quickly walks down to the train station. Once he reached to the waiting area, he carefully scanning in to the train commuters for anyone that resemblance Jieun, not that he exactly know how she looks like but he wants to give it a shot on this adventure. He saw a few couple lingering as they waiting for the train to come but none give him any hunches that the female couple might be Jieun. Not until he spotted this couple who seems could not stop hugging each other. They were standing in front of an empty seat with the lady duffel bag sitting on top of the seat. Jiyong realised that she might be Jieun. He was stumped of how beautiful Jieun is. But his heart begin to be filling out certain stabbing pain. Jiyong quickly looks away. He directed his eyes to the empty train track but not for too long. A few minutes later the train station sound was heard above signalling of the incoming train. Jiyong chance himself to look back at Jieun and the man that can't keep his hand to himself. Jiyong fume because they are still cuddling even though Jieun seems to freed herself from the man possesiveness. Jiyong has to calm his anger for not bursting it out. He felt like punching the taller man right in the face.

"The train door will be closing anytime soon..."

"Ok ok ok...call me once you reach  Gapyeong or else I will send the search party for you. I'm serious, Lee Jieun."

"Pabo..." 

Jiyong watch Jieun just grabbed her duffel bag and rush inside the train. Only then, Jiyong saw the thing that she has lost. It was lying underneath of her duffel bag. And it is a book from Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice. A gift from her dear father. The man simply walks away without even bother to wait for the train that carries Jieun in it to leave the station. Jiyong quickly grabbed the book and make a run to pass it to Jieun. But he is a bit too late. The train door has already closed even though he could see Jieun clearly. She has seems to realise of her missing book and has seem to be rushing out to look for it but she too was a bit late. All she could do standing in front of the closed door, looking rather disappointed. But then she frowned at this strange man who was running along the moving train. He was holding something in his hand.

Jiyong has to stop chasing the moving train. It is impossible to catch the train now. He knows that Jieun has saw him. Their eyes has connected to each other when he was rather foolish, chasing the moving train. There goes his chance to meet his dream lady. 

~~♥♥~~

'22 March 2011

Jieun,

I found it. I had it with me.

One day, I'll get it for you. Trust me. I know how important this to you.

You might not remember but we saw each other...at least I saw you.

You never told me how beautiful you are.

Jiyong'

~~♥♥~~

'23 March 2013

Well maybe you saw somebody else.

That was a bad hair year for me.

Jieun'

~~♥♥~~

'24 March 2011

Long black hair..gentle unguarded eyes. 

Not forgetting those kissable lip

Jiyong'

~~♥♥~~

'25 March 2013

Ok ok ok...

You saw me.

But I still did not know how you looks like...

Jieun'

~~♥♥~~

'26 March 2011

Well, why don't we just get together in the future and you let me know what you think of me.

Jiyong'

♥♥♥

♥ 27 March 2013 ♥

'27 Mar 2013,

Ok...

Why don't you call me on 27 March 2013 at

Jieun look down at her wrist watch to consult the current time which is 5.15pm. She was on her break as she sat at the empty cafeteria while writing the latest letter to Jiyong.

5.30pm?

Jieun' 

Once she has finished writing the last word on the letter, she folded the B5 paper into halves before putting it inside the brown envelope. When that task has done, out of sudden her mobile is ringing. That makes her heart stop as she give a quick glimpse at her wrist watch that show 5.30pm. Her mind is racing and her heart beating erractically. 'Could it be him?' she asked herself in the empty cafeteria while her finger hesitant to touch the answered green icon.

"Hello?"

♥♥♥The Lake House ♥♥♥