♥ 아홉 ♥

♥ The Lake House 호수 집 ♥

A/N: First off, thank you for still reading this story of mine. I never add this section before in this series but I think this is necessary because I'm afraid that you might be getting lost reading this chapter. Anyway the thing that I want to point out to you dear readers of the 2 dates ~ Mar 31, 2011 & Mar 31, 2013. In these scenes I will keep switching to these dates that I've mentioned earlier so that I could capture the parallel moments that happens in the 2 dates but on different years. I will continuously repeat the switching until something dramatic happen at the end of this chapter. If you wants to know what it is, continue reading the chapter below. So please don't be confuse. SPOILER: No letter exchange between our time-crossed lovers. And IU has different b-day. It is not on May 16. Her birthday in the story happens to be Mar 31 instead. So anyway hope you will enjoy this chapter. Also, this is a super long chapter!

♥♥♥

 

♥♥♥The Lake House ♥♥♥

♥ 28 March 2013 ♥

"Hello...Jieun?" Jieun slowly let go her breathing which she did realise that she has been holding it. 'Oh my god...I'm going crazy!' she cursed herself as she gathered herself to speak to the man that she has not seen for the past few years. He is Kim Woo Bin - her ex-boyfriend. "It's me, Woo Bin."

Jieun smiled as she speak through the speaker of her Samsung S7, "Hi Woo Bin. How are you?" then she realised that Woo Bin will not be able to see her smile, in a flash she wipe the smile off her pretty face.

"Great...great...I was in town for a meeting but they cancelled it at the last minute. So I thought that I called you out for coffee or something...Are you free later?"

Jieun just started her 2nd day of night shift and she knows that she is free tomorrow with nothing important noted down on her journal. Beside it has been a long time since she meet Woo Bin. The last time she saw him happens to be on her friend Suzy wedding which also a friend to Woo Bin. But they did not talked much as he brought along his girlfriend with him for the wedding while Jieun did not bother to bring along any date though.

"Sure why not?"

"Great. I'll pick you up at the lake house."

"No no no!"

"Why not?"

Jieun closed her eyes and in a flash the image of the lake house appears behind her eyelids. She miss that house so much. "I've moved out and there is someone else living there...I think." Telling Woo Bin about Jiyong is staying at the lake house might not be such a good idea despite the different timeline.

"Oh where should I pick you up then?"

"Let's just meet at our normal dating spot, Namsan. Let's say...at 8pm?"

"Ok sure. Meet you there then, Jieun." 

♥♥♥

♥ 29 March 2013 ♥

Jieun and Woo Bin walks up to the viewing corner where tourist could enjoy watching the city of Seoul up above the small yet secluded with seats provided. She knows that Woo Bin will be happy to come to the secluded corner because in the past, this has been their dating spot. Jieun look at Woo Bin walking beside her on the her right side. She noticed that Woo Bin looks kind of messy. His disshevelled appearance was definitely not something that Jieun expecting any less from him. 'And he do looks thinner too,' She whispered to herself. She wonder what happen to his girlfriend that she saw with him during Suzy wedding. 

Curious has been one of Jieun best trait and when she is curious over something she will tend to do her research first before bombarding with question to whoever that willing to talk to her. She wouldn't care much about the consequance of her action. "Where is Shin Hye, Woo Bin?" She watched him closely for any reaction. The man smile as he look down to the pavement while they stroll to the viewing corner. He did not look at her when he reply: "We...broke up...2 days ago."

"I'm sorry to hear that. When I saw both of you at Suzy's wedding, I thought her might be the one for you beside both of you looks great together..." She knows that the words that she has said to Woo Bin has comes from the bottom of her heart and she sincerely meant those words. There is no such prejudice behind the meaning of it. Even though it may sound that she might be sarcastic to Woo Bin, knowing too well how is Woo Bin could be as a control freak boyfriend.

"Ah...don't be sorry for me, Jieun. I should have see it coming." Woo Bin turn to the restaurant which looks quite pack with tourists that has come from all around the globe. To Jieun, he continues: "Let's not talk to about my yet again failing relationship."

Jieun felt a bit relieved to hear that. She merely nodded in agreement.

As they heading to that secluded corner, suddenly Woo Bin turn to her: "How about we grab something to munch. I'm hungry!" Not waiting for Jieun reply, Woo Bin make the decision for both of them and changed his direction to the nearby restaurant. Jieun shake her head as she muttered, "Never change a bit. Always in control..."

Woo Bin walks and stand in front of the Maitre'D who is a woman and she was busy talking to the phone. "Hello?"

She look up to the presence of Woo Bin standing in front of her and trying to grab her attention, she said to the person at the receiver end: "I will call you back a bit Sir, while I attend to the customer in a quick." To Woo Bin, with her most charming smile, "Good evening Sir. What can I do for you tonight?"

"We would like a table for 2."

"The name?" She flipped open the long book in front of her before looking up to Woo Bin again. She knows by heart that there is no appointment at this time of the night. 

"Oh we don't have any reservation..." Jieun watch amusely how agitated Woo Bin started to be. Again this is not him. He always plan ahead and always wanting to be on top of the game, even at this mere little matter of restaurant reservation. Park Sandara, from the name tag that has been pin in front of her custom uniform, smile meekly to Woo Bin before she continue to say," I'm sorry Sir. We are fully book up until October." She tilted her head when she spoke this.

"October?" Park Sandara merely nodded her head.

Woo Bin heaved a disappointed sigh before continue to say, "Oh we get back to you then." Again, Park Sandara nodded her head before picking up the phone to return the call to the person that she had called 'Sir' earlier. Both Woo Bin and Jieun walks away from the restaurant. Jieun could not help but laughed at Woo Bin for the look of disappointment on his face. She knows that he is spitting furious about the situation.

"Woo Bin stop it...ha ha ha...It's the best restaurant in town and nobody get table here without any reservation."

Woo Bin glance at the restaurant disgruntedly. "It's not about that..."

"Well what is it then?" Jieun wipe away the tear from her eyes as she has calm down from her laughing.

"I didn't do this right..." Woo Bin slide his hands at the pocket of his jean, looking at the most beautiful woman by his side who once his lover.

Jieun nodded her head but clearly she did not understand how this related to them at this moment. "There was no meaning to it."

"Well, it seems like no bid deal...you know, I'm hoping that after coffee, it could turn to dinner and then..." He stray off and followed Jieun who has stop walking. Jieun heart begin to race a bit faster than normal. She should see this coming. She frowned as she takes in a long breathe before she disgruntedly asked him, "Turn to what then?"

"...us back together." He cringed when Jieun threw him the face that tells everything that his original plan has now turn into yet another pit failure. "I'll admit that I could sometime take a few step ahead of myself."

"A few step? You always leaping ten steps ahead!" Jieun cried out. She did not care if she attract any attention from the passer-by though.

Silence.

It was Jieun who continues her ranting. "We were dating for what? A week? And you have our entire future map out for us!" Woo Bin cringed again at the thought of his behaviour which he could not help but plan ahead for their blissfully future together. Jieun was not done yet with her ranting though. She continues, "When I'm still in my residency, you pick out property and dragged me to stay with you over the weekend. And you have the entire neighbourhood in your house to meet me!!" 

Woo Bin started to feel a bit embarass now that the passer-by has throw him a dirty look. There are even a few ahjummas giving him a tsk-tsk remarks before walking away in disgusting look. He needs to defense himself and he realised the party that Jieun was referring to. "You know, I do seem to remember that you make a pretty fast friend with one of them."

Jieun stop her pacing, turn to look at Woo Bin, angrily. "What? What are you talking about?"

"Oh we know who we are talking about...? That guy!" He knows this is a cheap shot of him but he will do anything to protect his ego.

"What guy?!"

"That guy who I caught you making out with him at our patio. Your 21st birthday party...31st of March! Ring any bell?!"

Jieun could not believe of 2 things that happening in front of her at this instant. First, how immatured Woo Bin still is and last but not least, how pathetic he could have been. "I wasn't making out with him." Her voice seem to calm down but in a monotone which could means anything. Woo Bin knows this and regret his plan of action. He should not have taken that cheap shot. Damn! "What are we...? Junior high school?"

However, Woo Bin could not stop now. He needs to take it like a man and moving forward with his pathetic arguement to the end. And he needs to make it fast. "Then what do you call it then?"

"A kiss!! It was just a kiss with a random guy that happens years ago...!!"

Woo Bin stuttered. He has lost the battled.

Jieun knows and realised this. She choose to end their meet up much earlier than expected. "You know what..."

♥♥♥

♥  31 March 2011 ♥

[...in the morning]

Jiyong rub the dog fur as they wait for Minah to join them. She has insist to join Jiyong when the latter wanting to take the dog for a stroll while the rest of the workers is enjoying the small gathering that has been held by the company. They are celebrating for the completion of their project, even when it has been 1/4 of the whole project completion. Jiyong has been proud of his workers. They have indeed worked so hard to achieve the company targeted completion date. And Jiyong has been with them through rain and shine - supervising them, monitoring the work progress and provide every essential materials in order for them to achieve their goal.

"Ok oppa. I'm ready!" Jiyong turn to where his secretary is standing. He snickered. "What...? Did you not like my boots?" Minah show off her newly bought boots to Jiyong. It has cost her almost half of her paycheck but the material and its rustic colour makes it worthwhile. Beside it has been Jiyong who suggest to her that she needs to buy a boots in order to walk around the construction site.

"Well, it does looks pretty good." He grab Jack collar as to hook the leashes but Jack has not stay still - he keeps on shake his head to the right and left, refusing to give in to Jiyong attempt to hook-up the dog leash on his collar. "Come on, girl. Behave..." But Jiyong has slip his hold on Jack collar and as it result, the dog make a drastic run across the road, heading south.

"Hey Jack!" Jiyong chased the dog who has dash ahead of him. The dog has run so fast - passing 2 crossing roads and a bridge. Jiyong has follow her closely behind without loosing his sight on the dog. "Slow down girl!!" But the dog keeps on running. Jiyong almost lost her when she has make a sharp turn towards diversion road that leads to a small neighbourhood of Domyo. But Jack did not run far. From where Jiyong stand and watch, the dog has stop running as she sniffing the pavement infront of a man who is loaded with grocery bags. There is a car park beside him with the lid of the booth open wide. Jiyong jog to where they are. The man looks up to Jiyong when he called out Jack name before grabbing the dog by her collar. "Jack...come here...what do you thinking running off like that?"

"He's your I take it?" Jiyong look up to the man. He looks familiar to Jiyong but he could not place it where he see him before, "Yeah...sorry thanks. She never run off like that before."

"Keep an eye on him...what's his name?" The man continue to ask. Jiyong raise up to his original height while the dog keep on sniffing around the perimeter of the house. "Her...her name is Jackie."

The man makes an apologic gestures and smile, "Jack...good name for girl. I should get one like your dog for my girlfriend. She loves dog." 

Jiyong frowned. "Hey have we met before?"

"No I don't think so..." The man then extended his name and make the first introduction. "My name is Kim Woo Bin," pointing to the house he continue. "This is my house where I live with my girlfriend."

Jiyong nodded his head absently. He has a vague idea who this man happen to be. He was Jieun former boyfriend the same one that he saw kissing Jieun on the train station few days ago. Well, in 2011, Woo Bin is her still boyfriend but as far Jiyong is concern the tall man who might work as a model, is no longer with his Jieun. Out of courtesy Jiyong also introduce himself before making offer to help carrying the stack of boxes inside the car booth. 

"Oh thank you so much, Jiyong. I really appreciate it." So Jiyong carried one of the boxes which happens to be carton of Asahi beer, before heading inside the house where Jieun and Woo Bin lived. From behind, Jack followed him closely as he head down to the kitchen area.

"Where do you live, Jiyong?" Woo Bin asked much later after the 2 men has done with the task of carrying the boxes and bag of foods to the kitchen. Jiyong has taken the seat by the kitchen stool. He accepted the glass of cold beer from Woo Bin. "Thanks. I live in the house by the lake...few months ago."

"Wow...that's awesome. Hey...take my card. Please help me out here if you have anyone with the house like yours - by the lake. I've been searching for one." Jiyong took the offered business card. It is Woo Bin personal business card and Jiyong was right, the man earn a living as a model. Without looking at the model, he points out, "You have a great place here. Why looking for another property? For investment?"

"It is for my Jieun. She never really like this place. And I promise her that I would look for something new...once she finish her residency. Please if you hear anything..." Jiyong smiled at how desperately Woo Bin face is. He finds it a bit amusing that a doctor like Jieun will go for someone who earn a living as a model which basically did not have stable income, unless he is someone famous like Adriana Lima, Cindy Crawford or Tyra Bank. "Sure. I'll look around for you."

"Great!" Woo Bin feels a rush of happiness upon hearing Jiyong promises. Then he has a great idea, "Are you free tonight? No! Make yourself free tonight!"

Jiyong look at him suspiciously. "Why...?"

"Because I want to invite you to the party tonight. It is Jieun birthday today and I have arrange for a surprise party for her!" Jiyong smiled widely. This is what he's waiting for - a chance to get much closer to his dream girl. 

"I want to personally introduce you to Jieun!" Jiyong nodded his head.

"Sure I'll be here...what time will the party start?" Jackie tugging the leash that Jiyong has firmly hold on.

"Great! 8pm!" Woo Bin replied before he continues to prepare for the upcoming party.

Jiyong feels so elated. No words could describe how happy he is at the moment. With the big smile plastered on his handsome face, he looks down at the restless dog. "It's Jieun birthday today, Jackie!"

'Woof!'

♥  31 March 2013

[...at the night. Dilinger's Bar.]

Jieun entered the bar who seems to be famous with among the doctors and nurses from the hospital. Well, it should be since it is located nearest to where the hospital is. Dilinger's seems a weird name for a bar. But Jieun is not be choosy tonight. She might not planning anything special aside of a dinner date with her mother this weekend, well the least she could do is to kill the long night with a good pint of irish aleand luckily for her, this bar do sell her all-time favourite irish ale ~ Kilkenny. Jieun went straight to the bar and wave the bartender to take her order.

"1 pint of your best Irish ale, oppa!" Her finger points to the Kilkenny logo that plastered on the tab. The bartender nodded and on the move to prepare the simple order. While waiting for the bartender, whose name happens to be Joon-gi, she glance at her surrounding of the rest of the bar. Not much of a crowd though which is normal at this hour of the night. 8pm. She knows when the clock strikes 9, the place will be jam pack with doctors, nurses, patients' families members and so forth. The reason why Jieun has hit the bar at this early hour.

"Here you go..." Jieun watch Joon-gi, first he place the coaster before putting her tall tumbler of Kilkenny. "Thanks!"

"You're alone?" Joon-gi stop for a small chat before he needs to hurry over the other end of the bar. He saw a group of customers who just entered the bar, instead of seating at one of the empty table, this customers choose to hang around along the bar instead. "Yup. I just get off from my morning shift, oppa!"

Joon-gi replied her with an apologetic smile before heading to the same group of customers. It seems that they need some sort of ushering. Jieun just nodded her head and calmly sip her first taste of ale.

"According to social norm, a person should not drink alone after 8pm, unless she got a good excuse." Jieun turn to where the voice has come from. Dr. Goo Hara. She was standing 2 seats away from where Jieun is seated. Both of the women exchange smiles. Hara then took the seat beside her. "What's yours?" 

"Gosh...don't have one." Jieun waved at Joon-gi again to take order for Hara. "She has the same." Joon-gi could only afford to give her a thumb-up.

"Well, I have. My youngest sister went off to college this morning. One day, she's splashing around in the baby pool in a diaper, then the next moment she'd pack all her stuff before heading to Honggik." Hara smiled at Joon-gi as the man place her drink in front of her and quickly runs back to the other end of the bar. "I hope she knows what she get herself into."

"Let me guess...pre-med?" Jieun watch Hara as she settled down on the empty stool on her right.

"Bingo!" Hara did not immediately sip her ale, instead she turn her attention to her junior staff. "Why didn't you tell me that today happens to be your birthday? We could have order some cake to celebrate."

Jieun waved her off. "Nah...It's just some birthday. I don't want to make a big deal about it." 

"You keep a lot to yourself." Hara pause to take her first sip of her ale. "Nothing's wrong with it But sometime I wonder what else do you have in life beside your work. Family...? Boyfriend...? Friend...?"

Jieun could not help but snickered at Hara  attempt to get close with her. Still laughing, Jieun continues to say: "Well, I used to have a boyfriend...His name is Woo Bin."

"Woo Bin...woo bin...woo bin...that's a y name! Hahahaha..."

♥  31 March 2011 ♥

[...at the night...Jieun's surprise birthday party]

Jiyong look around the big crowd that lingered in the living room as Woo Bin has cordially introducing him to the people he could only guess happens to be Woo Bin friends. Because so far none of them ever start out with 'Hi I'm a friend of Jieun from college' or something else. Mostly they just greeted him with being Woo Bin friend or someone from work. There are a few that he recognise their faces who happens to patron at the same supermarket downtown. Or whom he met if he stop by at the post office.

"So when are we expecting Jieun to barge in the house?" He whispered to Woo Bin after being introduced with someone who has connection with the famous G-Dragon, the leader of Bigbang. Woo Bin glance at his watch before replying. "In....about 10 minutes or so. Arghhh...here I want to introduce you to Mr. Yoo Jaesuk." He turn to Jiyong before they reached to this person who he called Yoo Jaesuk. "You do watch Running Man didn't you?" Jiyong just nodded his head once.

"Mr Yoo Jaesuk...here I personally introduce you to the man who will help me get my Jieun dream house by the lake...Mr Kwon Jiyong!" The two men politely greeted each other while they killed the time in waiting for the birthday girl to reach home from work. But they need not wait for long when someone tap Woo Bin arm to alert him that Jieun car has park infront of the house driveway. "She's home!" 

"Ok everyone! Hide while I grab the birthday cake!" Woo Bin instructed the crowd who immediately proceed to look for their ideal hiding spot. He then turn back to the person that alert him of Jieun presence earlier, whispering,"Switch off the light before following me back to the kitchen to light the candles..."

Jiyong wanted to get the full view of his Jieun. So he wanted to make sure to stand just behind Woo Bin when the latter bring out the birthday cake when they has surprise Jieun.

 

Jieun did realised that there is something strange with the surrounding of the house and she felt strongly when she entered the house. She sniffed the sweet aroma of something delicious which caused her tummy to start again with its growling. She is hungry, no she is famish. The last time she has ate was her breakfast. Because of shorthanded in the hospital, she has to work double shifts and she could only end her shift when Rachel has clocked in 2 hours later. The senior doctor has staged a dramatic reason for being late when everyone knows it has been her nature to bully the new interns, like Jieun.

Jieun look about the dark hallway of the house which she comes to hate lately. It is unlikely for Woo Bin to not being home at this hour of the night. Normally, he will be immediately by the door to greet her, like a butler. "Where did he go...?" Jieun shrugged but slowly she break into a wide smile at the sudden thought of Woo Bin not back home yet. She got the whole house for herself and with the long hours in the hospital, she deserve some night without the presence of her overtly attentive boyfriend. "Did he forget that today is my birthday?" Again Jieun shrugged as she head toward the light switch to the living room. In her mind, she has already creating a mental list of things to do just to relieve those upend stress.

Her happiness has been shortlived. Because the moment she flick on the light switch, with her back facing the living room, a surprise choruses of 'Happy Birthday Jieun!' sprung on her. Truthfully this did not surprise her a bit but she was piss with herself for believing that Woo Bin, of all people might forget about her birthday and would not pull out something like a surprise birthday for her. Jieun calmly gather herself before she turn to the crowd behind her, readying her charming smile as she make the turn.

"Happy Birthday, Jieun!!" She smiled. As predicted, she watched her boyfriend Woo Bin enter the scene with carrying the fully-candled cake as he joined in the crowd as they sang the tradition Korean Birthday song:

"Saeng il chu ka ham ni da,

Saeng il chu ka ham ni da,

Ji gu e seo u  ju e seo

Ji il sa rang ham ni da,

Kkot ppo da deo gop kke,

Byeo bo da deo bal kke,

Sa ja bo da yong gam ha de,

Happy Birthday to you."

 

From where he is standing, right behind Woo Bin, he has the first full view of Doctor Lee Jieun. As the birthday song ended, Jiyong could not help but feels that Jieun somehow faking her happiness. It seems to him that this surprised bash might not how she wanted to celebrate her birthday. Jiyong feels bad even though he should not be feeling guilty for ruining Jieun ideal birthday celebration. He makes a mental note that if ever they are together as couple in near future, he should run by with Jieun for this kind of occassion. Definitely he wanted Jieun to be genuinely happy for this important celebration.

"Arghh Jiyong-sshhi..." Jiyong turn to Woo Bin who is approaching him with Jieun walking beside him. Jiyong carefully drinking in the beauty of his Jieun. Again he sense some discomfort air in her. "This guy, Mr Kwon Jiyong, will find us the lake house that I've promise to buy for you." To Jiyong, he ask, "Right?" Jiyong did not bother to look at the tall guy as his eyes lock in the pair of innocent eyes that belongs to Jieun. He watch her eyes who seems to give out some recognition as seconds ticking off. "Happy Birthday Jieun." Jiyong politely said to her as he bow to show his respect, even tho he is much older than Jieun. He heard her lithe reply: "Thank you Mr Kwon. And it is nice of you to look for us the lake house."

Jiyong could only smile but the next moment that he wants to chat more, Woo Bin has carted her off to introduce to other guests.

♥  31 March 2013 ♥

[...at the night. Dilinger's Bar.]

"Anyway I ended it. And I am happy now." Jieun heave a deep sigh, a defeated one. "And it was the right thing to do." Her mind wandered back to the scene of last night. Of how they ended their meet-out with one of their unresolved arguments. Again, Jieun was piss with herself for believing that Woo Bin might throw-out his habit of controlling.

"So who is it did you write to? I could not help everytime during your break, I saw you writing something?" Hara  asked, before raising her hand to Joon-gi to top up her empty glass.

Jieun snickered. "There is someone..." Her minds wander off to Jiyong who face still unknown to her. She heave a slow sigh. "...It's like a long distance relationship sort off..."

Hara nodded her head, wondering, "How do you meet?"

Jieun shook her head. "Not yet."

Hara frowned. "What?"

Jieun giggled. "Story of my life..."

"You're kidding?!" Hara could not believe that Jieun have yet to meet this guy, even though they have been writing to each other for weeks now.

"...keeps everything in a distance...everyone..." Jieun turn to look at the amusing Hara who seems to listen to her every words. "The man who standing in front of me, the one who wants to marry me, I'd push him away...I run from him. In the meantime, the..." Blurry grey image who she assume to be Jiyong appears in her mind. "...the one man that I can't never meet...him...I would like to give my whole heart to."

"He must write one hell of a letter!" Hara sipped the second glass of her ordered Kilkenny. She cast to Jieun glass, still half full but that is Jieun's third glass of Kilkenny. She look up at the birthday girl again. Jieun did not look drunk yet.

"Hmmm...it's nice...safe..." Jieun mutter softly as she look inside the remaining of her drink. "Christ! He's in prison, isn't he?!" Hara look at Jieun alarm with what she heard from Jieun. The latter just burst in fit of laughter instead.

"Ha...ha...ha!!" Jieun tried hard to calm herself and recede her laughters. "No!! He's just a guy who live by the lake," Jieun heard Hara too laughing beside her. "He's an architect...."

Jieun finish off her drink and was about to order her fourth glass then something strike her. He's just a guy who live by the lake...an architect...

"Oh my god..." 

♥  31 March 2011 ♥

[...at the night. Jieun's surprise birthday party. At the backyard.]

Jieun stormed out of the house through the kitchen door. She took a deep breath as she walk to the empty seat overlooking the backyard. There are 2 benches that stood not far from each other. She sat to the empty seat without realise that there is another person sitting on the other bench. It is Jiyong. He has sneak out of the house. He never really like party and always avoid attending to any sort of party. The only reason he is here because he wants to meet Jieun in person. With hope that he could strike a conversation with her by chance. But when he saw the tiredness show on Jieun face, he is fine with the short introduction that Woo Bin has initiated earlier.

But now, seeing Jieun all alone with him, somehow he felt this is his last chance to create sort of memories with Jieun so that she could now remember how he looks like.

He clear his dry throat. "Happy Birthday, Jieun!"

Without looking at Jiyong, she absently reply: "Thank you!" But this did not put him down to pursue his intention. "I hope it is a great year for you, Jieun." Again, Jieun did not bother to turn to him when she gives the same reply: "Thank you!"

Jiyong was not known to give up that easily. He get up from the bench that he has occupied earlier and approach to where Jieun bench. Finally she look up at him, "May I?" Jiyong point out to the empty space on her bench. Jieun just nodded her once and continue to look down on the ground. She heard the man cleared his throat again. In her mind, she wonder where did Woo Bin knows him. She didn't remember seeing him before this.

"I'm Jiyong...lake house guy?" Jieun knows that. She just stare at him for a while before replying to him. "So you gonna...gonna find us a place on the lake?" 

"I hope so...if I can." Jiyong heartbeat raise a notch. 'She's beautiful upfront...but why the sadness especially today, one of the important day in her life?'

"You're real estate agent?" Jieun heave a sigh. She wanted to be alone for just a few minutes. "No, I just have a lake house." She just nodded her head and give a non-committal replies. 

"Ya...the place is nice and you will love it. You gonna rent it after I move out." Jiyong realise that Jieun wanted to be alone but he knows that he will regret it if he let this chance goes away. "Oh really? You will rent it out to me? Because I remembered Woo Bin mentioned to me that you are the owner of the house." Jieun did look at him. The thought of living in a lake house - surrounded by nature beauty, somehow thrill her. Jiyong nodded his head. In his mind, he trying to come up with topic of conversation since now it has become silent between them.

"Jieun..." She turn to him again. "Yes?"

"Have you read Persuasion?" Jieun frown at him. "You know, the book written by Jane Austen?"

"Ya I know it was by her...It's my favourite book. Why...why did you bring something like that up....what makes you bring that up?" It took her by surprised that this stranger mentioned one of her favourite book which remind her that she has lost it during her train back from Woo Bin hometown few weeks ago. She has yet to buy a new one but the book that she has lost has been a gift from her father. It held a very high sentimental value to her.

"A friend of mine gave it to me, recently. And I was wondering what's the story is about." A white lie that deem fit for the situation here.

"Hmmm...it's wonderful. The story is about waiting..."She snickered. "This 2 people...they meet...they almost fall in love but the timing isn't right they need to part ways. And then years later, they meet again. They get another chance...you know, they don't know too much time has passed...waited too long...you know...too late to make it work."

There was silence between them. Both of them attend to their own train of thoughts.

For Jieun, she is remembering all the joy of reading that beautiful story with her late father once. Well, it was one of the nights that she has keep her father accompany in the hospital and on that night, her father has requested that she read him Persuasion. She has read it, from the beginning through out the end. And her father has fight to stay conscious as to listen to her story-telling up to the end. A week later, her father finally succumb to his fatal illness.

Jiyong has been the first to break the silent. "Why do you like that?" He finds the story way much depressing and he could never understand why someone like Jieun finds the story very interesting. Jieun surprisingly burst out laughing as she said: "I don't know...hahahaha!!"

Jiyong also was laughing, before continue to say: "You know, don't get me wrong, I mean it's beautiful..." Jieun cut him out, still laughing away, "It's terrible!" Both of them continues to laugh until the laughter dies out into silence. But once again, it has been Jiyong to break the silent. "So have you been in such situation before like in the novel?"

"No...never..." But Jieun seems to think some event from her past that might somehow relate to his question. "Well...when I was 16, I was completely in love with this guy...he's in a band and he was playing the lead guitar. I ran away from home. And I went to Tokyo so that I could lived with him. Ya... he's convince me that I have a beautiful voice and I dreamt to become a singer...."

"I've been to Tokyo before. I love that city." Jiyong said the first thing that comes from his thought. It's true that he loves that city and he once spend some part of his life in that city after the death of his mother.

"He's my first love...probably the only one." Jieun cleared and look up the night sky. There is no star, unlike normal nights before. Jiyong felt a stir of jealous in his heart. His voice seems tight, "He must be a great guy." He watch Jieun glance at him and smile. "I don't know. He may have been but the relationship does not last long for me to find out. Truth is, I can't remember how he looks like."

"Really?" Seeing Jieun nodded her head, Jiyong smiled. "Yeah, that must be too bad."

"My dad...he showed up, actually," Jieun laugh as she recalled the presence of her father showing up at the front door of the apartment that she was living with that musician. "I was in troubled. He dragged me back to Seoul...He was sick. He has this dream of me becoming a doctor. You know, eventually, it becomes my dream too." Now she starts to remember her father to whom she was closed to. "He was right. I feel good in helping people."

Jieun then get up from the bench that she has been sitting for the last 10 minutes or so. She walk slowly in the direction of the small garden patio that has come with the house when Woo Bin has bought it years ago. Jiyong joined her. "Jieun..."

Again, Jieun turn to look at Jiyong. She watch his handsome face closely. Even though he was only wearing a simple checkered long-sleeve shirt and a well-worn jean, for Jieun, the man has been one of the attractive guest in her so-called surprise birthday party. When the man in front of her seems to be pondering to continues to what he really wants to tell her, she willing to make the first move, "Yes, Jiyong-shhi?"

"I-I..." Jiyong stuttered.

And Jieun patiently waiting for him to continue, "You...?"

"I just the..."

"What...?" Jieun tilt her head as she continue to drink in Jiyong attractiveness. From the inside of the house, the song You are my everything by Gummy could be heard from where they were standing. For the moment, both of them seems lost as they stood listening the melodious voice of the singer Gummy.

"You know this song, Jieun?" She nodded smiling softly at him. Jiyong heart beat a notch faster. "Do you sing?"

"No...nobody want to hear me sing. You don't want to hear me sing." But there is a smile on her face as she said it.

"I didn't mean you know-.."

"But I can dance..." As if on cue, both of them walk to each other slowly and once Jieun is near enough for Jiyoung to pull her in his embrace before they begin to slow dance. Their eyes locked to each other. Jiyong savouring each moment with Jieun as best as he could. He wanted Jieun to remember this moment in her life and she has no reason to say that she do not know how he looks like. Earlier, Jiyong was at the verge to tell her everything about the exchanging letters and how he comes to know her but at the very last moment he realised that the Jieun in his timeline might be confuse with everything and that might disrupt what he has with the Jieun that he comminicated in 2013.

Jiyong gently swipe the strand of hair that has fallen in front of her angelic face. But his finger did not stop there. He slightly touch her pink cheek. His eyes cast down to her ruby lip.  Jieun too has stop her dance and seems to wait for Jiyong next move. She recognise all the signs and has been captivated with how gentle his touch has been.

Jiyong slowly lifting her chin up, look into her eyes as if waiting for some sort of approval from Jieun, he bend his head to capture her ruby lip with his own. 

♥♥♥The Lake House ♥♥♥