♥ 넷 ♥

♥ The Lake House 호수 집 ♥

♥♥♥The Lake House ♥♥♥

25 February 2013 ♥

Today onwards Jieun decided not to drive her car going to and fro to work. Instead, one of the way to help lessen the congested traffic is to practise oneself by making full use of the public transport. The bus looks half empty at this hour of the day, 2.30 pm. Even so, she is sharing a seat with someone who busy reading The Herald, without caring that the newspaper has keeps on banging on Jieun right-hand side head.

She let go of a big sigh as she stare out of the bus window. Her thoughts flew to the situation that happens 2 days ago at the lake house. “Maybe we should introduce ourself properly,” Yes, Jieun indeed takes 2 days ago to ponder over the matter. But whatever train of thoughts she has project, seems less likable to the other option.

Jieun felt that her seatmate has finally put down The Herald. The seatmate happens to be a middle age man and he looks European. Jieun notice all of these when he put down the newspaper, looking at her coyly. Jieun just give him a tiny smile at the same feeling anxious all of sudden. But her face broke into a smile when she watch the guy sitting beside him taking out a mouth refreshner and he spray it into his mouth. The man tries to hide his action but Jieun could still see it through the window reflection.

When the man turn to her, at last, he smiled before extending his introduction to Jieun, “Hi, my name is Young Bae. I could not help hearing...”

♥♥♥

26 February 2011 ♥

It has been 3 days since he last received Jieun letter. He wonder where has she vanish to. He did never stop asking himself questions that he might offended Jieun. But he knows that the last thing she asked in the letter asking him where he was. And he did replied to her truthfully that he was indeed standing in front of the lake house and the mailbox.

This phenomenon really disturbing him in all new levels. He wonder how did they possibly send those letters, back and fro, at the exact same time – he hope that was true; and at the exact same moment. What exactly really happening here? He won’t know the exact location she was on that day because he did not received any letter from here since then.

If he is not busy with his work back at the site, his mind will wander off to this situation which just left him flabbergested. He could not find any logic to what just happens. If he wants to point a finger on God’s doing, well he is not exactly that devout. So he did not really believe in God’s miracle. On the other hand, he also do not really believe there is such scientific explanation to what he is currently facing. So in conclusion, he was all alone now, if Jieun has decide to stay vanish.

The only thing that he left to believe if all of these was some kind of a prank that someone did it to him. He knows that he has no known enemy, don’t mention about having any close friend. Hanbin has been his only close friend where he will confide with everything since the passing of his mother.Somewhere deep in his heart, he knows this is not a prank and Jieun is not just a fabricated person but a real person from where ever she claimed to be. Jiyong finds himself hard to not to believe Jieun and called her a liar.

Jiyong still in deep thought when he walks out the lake house. His eyes directedly look at the mailbox who has stood empty without Jieun letter for the past 3 days now. “Should I give another shot, girl?” Jiyong asked the Mutt dog who without fail will walk with him to his Chevrolet truck. The dog will only run back into the house once Jiyong truck has drive to the road that will lead him to the main road. Jiyong have it secretly check one day about the dog movement.

He did not really wait for the dog reply. Once he reached the mailbox, without hesitation, he open the lid. At last, he saw a single brown envelope with his name written on top of it. He recognise Jieun beautiful handwriting and knows that it was from her. He quickly grabbed it and rush into his truck before tearing open the envelope. He is feeling very eager to read what Jieun has to write in her letter.

'25 February 2013 

I’m sorry that it tooks me 2 days to send you this letter. I’m sure you might think this is a prank that someone’s trying to get to you. I know that was the first thing that appears in my mind. Frankly, I do not know what’s exactly happening here but I don’t see any harm of us to get to know each other...like a pen pal. But unlike a pen pal which two individuals becomes pal from a distance and at the same exact year, we are separated in timeline.

So if it is ok with you, let me introduce myself...

I’m a doctor...dedicated to curing the sick...at least trying to.

I hope you may want to give it a try...of us becoming friend.

Jieun'

“The first long letter that she wrote to me...” Jiyong scan through the letter again before starting the truck engine and drive to his work site. His mind replay every words from Jieun letter. Especially her offer of friendship. “Should I accept her offer?” He braked the truck at the red light. His eyes then turn to the pair of teenagers walking past his truck. They looks like a pair of lover. Jiyong felt sure that they first started their relationship by being friends first and everything will fall in just nicely.

But is that what he wants? Or he expected from the offer of friendship by Jieun? And there is one other thing that nagging his thought, even if they becomes friend, surely he wants to meet up with his friend. With the different timeline, how is it possible?

Once he reached his office, he grabbed everything including Jieun’s letter. He greeted his Minah on his way to his office. “Good morning, Minah.” He watched Minah trying to get up from her seat but he wave her away. “I don’t want to be disturb this morning. And remind Mino about our lunch meeting with our client.” Minah nodded.

He shut the door behind him and locked the door too. He pulls out Jieun letter from his coat and re-read her letter while he make his way to his big chair. He tries to understand the game Jieun is playing but in all angles that he tries to view it, there are no harm but just to go along with it. As an advantage behind all of these, he might be able to feed in his curiousity of what the future might be like in 2013.

“Ok then. Here goes...”

♥♥♥

27 February 2013 ♥

Jieun glance at her wrist watch. It shows 11.50am and she still have 10 minutes before her lunch break. She is rather excited to be looking forward on her lunch break, not because she is famish but she being looking forward to read Jiyong letter that she had grabbed this morning before driving back to the town and towards her workplace.

Last night she needs to do double shift, covering for Suzy who have some family emergency back home. And by the time she ends her shift, she was too tired to stop by the lake house. Her eyes was too tired to stay open and her body simply making a low battery sound. She even took a cab home from work last night and another one to work detour to the lake house first.

In the cab ride to Seoul Hospital, she thought that she could read Jiyong letter but she felt too comfy and still sleepy from last night, sleep overwhelm her. The cab driver has to shake her awake when they finally reached the hospital.

Again, she looks at her wrist watch. “Yes!!” Without wasting a minute more, she dash to the doctor lounge and found a perfect hidden spot by the window at the far corner of the lounge. She quickly took out Jiyong letter and read carefully of the letter content:

'26 February 2011

I accept your offer of friendship. Not because I am a lonely man with a Mutt dog for a companion, but because I am very curious...so curious of the future. And I could be very inquisitive person that will berate you with all kind of questions.

Well, let’s get started with an introduction from me.

I am a certified Architect. I like to build and while I wouldn’t said my current project is ideal that allows me to be here in this place. That’s enough for now. But tell me something, if you’re working in the hospital in Seoul now, where were you before...in my time?

Jiyong'

Jieun did not expect that Jiyong to accept her offer of friendship when there was the unexplainable of the different timeline. But she was glad to know that Jiyong accepted her offer. She did not understand the reason behind her eagerness to make friend to a stranger like Jiyong, when the truth is, she finds it difficult to make new friends since high school.

Definitely she is not a geek or any of those sort back in during high school. She is just the type who very protective of her private live and prefer to enjoy in a small group of friends. Well, she do admit that she does not have any close friends either. Her bestfriend happens to be her parent and being an only child, she always been given an ample of love and attention from her parent which is enough for her.

No one seems to interest Jieun that intrigue her so much that she wants to be friend with him. Maybe because, subconsciously, the distance between her and Jiyong is indefinitely far, just like her ideal of relationship: Keep everything in a distance. There is no way for Jiyong to be near her!!

The one question that keeps nagging her thought that she have yet to check out the history of the lake house. “Maybe I should ask him that?”

♥♥♥

28 February 2011 ♥

'28 February 2013 

Thanks for accepting my friend request. J

Well, the answer to your question, 2 years ago, in your time, I was working at Seoul National University Hospital Cancer Centre, one of the branch under Seoul National University Hospital. There was other options to choose but I chose the cancer centre.

Well my dad wanted me to become a doctor, a dream of his that he could not fulfil and after his death, his dream becomes mine. And the culprit that send my dad to the gallow has been that incurable cancer disease. He’s suffured lung cancer because of hereditary instead of the main cause, which is smoking too much of cigarette.

So as you can see, because of cancer the reason who has killed my dad, well it was logic that I should choose to work at the Cancer disease and devout my life to find the cure for this deadly disease. But I could not take in the work stress of seeing the cancer patient died right in front of your eyes and you could not do anything to stop her dying

Well enough about my life.

By the way, I’ve been thinking lately about the history of the lake house. I wonder what’s the story behind this enchanted house that I really love so much. I’m sure there must be some hidden story...and I love to hear about it.

Jieun'

Carefully, Jiyong placed the letter on top of the dining table. Jiyong still in his working attire as he had just reached home from work. Before entering the house, as a routine, he will check the mailbox for Jieun letter. Without waiting to read it inside his house, he choose to read it while walking towards the house.

When he read the part where Jieun talks about the reason that she has lost her father, a sudden connection goes ‘clink’ could be heard by his heart. Like Jieun, he has lost his mother to Ovarian cancer which initially rob her birth vessel that she eventually agrees to go through the operation. He could understand to all the turbulence of emotions that Jieun has to face.

He could still remember his mother during her last day on earth. Once she was a breathtaking beauty but the illness rob her, not only her failing health but also her beauty. To Jiyong, she will always his queen which posses beauty that goes beyonds word, even today both him and Hanbin will remember her always in her favourite yellow sundress with strawhat on top of her 50s hairdo along with 50s make-up. When their mother will dress-up like that, Jiyong knows that most definitely they will be going for picnic which will be great if his uber-busy father could spare an hour or two, joining them for picnic not far from the lake house.

“Let call dad, Hanbin.” Jiyong told his younger boy as he makes his way to the telephone. Hanbin, on the other hand, choose not to reply to Jiyong hopeless wish. Hanbin just moved from his spot at the kitchen island to the living room, taking the seat from one of the sofas while waiting for their mother to get ready with packing their food for the picnic.

“Hello, can I speak to Mr Kwon Sang-joong please? I am his son.” Jiyong waiting hopefully for his father to get to the phone. There was time that if he is too busy with his work, he will ask his secretary to relay any message for him, even if the call has been from either Jiyong or Hanbin. “I’m afraid Jiyongie, that your father is away for business trip and he will only return tomorrow afternoon.” Jiyong hope crushed. He weakly hang up the phone. Hanbin watched his elder brother from the living room. He heaves out long sigh. He goes to his brother. “Can I say ‘I-told-you-so’?” Jiyong just smile defeatedly. “Come on, let’s help out, mom.”

When Jiyong mother was fighting for her life that last few days, Jiyong could not bear to see how sick her face expression has become, even though Hanbin make an effort to put on the basic make-up for her. During one of the last few days, Mrs Kwon has called out to her eldest son to meet her in her bedroom.

“You want to see me, mama?” asked Jiyong softly.

“You love your father, Ji.” Jiyong could not understand to what his mother trying to tell him. But he remains silent and wait for her to elaborate more.

“You love me too...so much it hurts you that the father you has love so much, simply act so heartless to allow his once-bride die without even once visiting me.” Jiyong still confused and it shown on his facial expression. “Act so heartless...that’s what he try or pretend to be. So come here, my son.” Jiyong did as he was told.

“Promise me that you will also be there for him when his time has come to be where I am now, fighting against the death.” Jiyong watched, with his tears gathering at the brink of his eyes, his mother skeletal-like hands holding his hand lightly. “Promise me that you will be with him even when he will push you or Hanbin away from his life and business.”

“Will you promise me, Yong?” asked Mrs Kwon expectantly. And Jiyong could not turn her down. Jiyong merely nodded his head as his agreement. Exactly 2 days later, Mrs Kwon Min Joo has passed away in the accompanied of her 2 beloved sons.

 

How old are you this year?” Jiyong asked his brother over a glass of wine which they are enjoying after their dinner. The 2 men was celebrating Hanbin birthday which fall on 29th February. It is a leap year which every four years that there will be the 29th in the month of February. “It so unfair that I’ve got to celebrate my birthday every 4 years. Aish...!!” Jiyong just smiled at his brother antic. It has always been the same everytime during his birthday. Leap year or not. He still remembered that their mother refused to celebrate Hanbin birthday on the 28th February.

“Birthday is a special occasion so it needs to celebrate on the day self. No other days could replace your birthday.”

And Jiyong too remember what his father response, a simple words: “You dumb.”

“I think I’m 22 years old.” Jiyong roll his eyes. “That was 3 years ago after you celebrate your 21st birthday on your birthday – the 29th Feb. How can you still be 22 years old.”

Hanbin laughed at his brother. “You are jealous, hyung.”

“Whatever...” Jiyong wipe the drop of his red wine on the tabletop. There were lots of things that running in his mind today. Not because of Jieun letter, well...her letter set him thinking of what he is thinking at this instant. But he could not find the right words to say it to his brother. Instead he asked something random.

“When will you be coming to the lake house?” Hanbin looks up at his brother. He smiled. If possible, he wants to avoid from coming to that sacred house that once they had lived as a family, even for a short while. But his brother seems determine to drag him there. Well, he already being in that house – that time when the most unusual thing has happen to Seoul. A snowstorm right in the middle of no where.

Hanbin remembered that day when he has to check on his sick brother. His breathing has becomes so stiff and he almost choke on his own emotion. When he reached that house, his eyes travelled straight to the spot where his mother, or his adopted mother, has seated while waiting for him and his brother coming home from school. Sometime with her, there will be their favourite picnic basket and he always enjoy those time spending together by the lake. His mind then travelled very fast to the day that his adopted mother has passed away.

The saddest day in his life, not when at 6 years that he has to lost both his parents in a car accident right in front of their house. That memories and heart pain was nothing compared of loosing the woman who love him unconditionally without a single care that she has no blood ties with Hanbin. Her love, along with her only son has welcome him into their family. They make him so happy that he felt so unreal. He wish those best dream will last forever but God has other plan in His hand. Their short live happiness, he will never trade for anything else unless it will give him another chance to meet his adoted mother.

There are times that Hanbin refused to move on with his life and keeps holding on to the past. Thinking of the future is never a thing he likes best. He wants his old life where by he will be enjoying any spare moment together with his 2 favourite people – mother and hyung Jiyong.

“Hyung...?” Jiyong glance over to his younger brother before continue with trying to attract the attention of the  waitress. “What?”

“Have you ever think of the future?” Hanbin pulls out his wallet and took out a hundred dollars bill to pay for his share of their wine. But Jiyong just wave him away. “It’s on me...”

After they have settled their bills, both men walks out from the restaurant and decided to stop by the park while watching the people who still linger at the park in this late hour. They chose the bench which gives them a wide picture of the park and its occupant.

“Why ask  about the future?” asked Jiyong.

“Well, don’t tell me that you want to get stuck with your current job like forever. Any thought when to get started with our Visionary Vanguard.” Jiyong could only nodded his head while listening to Hanbin questions. He knows that his younger brother got a point there. It has always been their share dreams together to establish their very own business where they can explore and express their vast talent in architectural design without under the scrutinize eyes of their eccentric father.

“Why don’t you stop by to the lake house and I will show you for inspiration on our joint partnership business. Will you come right?” Jiyong could sense that Hanbin seems hesitated to accept his invitation. But he choose to let it slide for now.

“Alright...let’s have picnic by the lake like we used to.” Hanbin hates remembering anything that will bring in tears in his eyes but he could not help it when his mind flew over to that sacred house.

“You remember. I thought you might forget.”

“How can I forget our short lived happiness in that house, hyung?” Hanbin stop to gather his emotion. He continues, “We were family when we lived there, even we hardly see our father. Living in that house was the best moment in my life.”

Jiyong nodded. “Then come visit me this weekend, and I will let you see the inspiration that we need to have before we set-up our business.”

♥♥♥The Lake House ♥♥♥