♥ 세 ♥

♥ The Lake House 호수 집 ♥

♥♥♥The Lake House ♥♥♥

17 February 2011 ♥

Jiyong watched the Mutt dog sitting not far from where he was standing beside his Chevrolet truck. The dog seems excited seeing him. Well the dog tail have been sweeping around that indicate the dog is in a happy mode, not forgetting his tongue wagging at Jiyong. He wonder what’s on earth the dog still doing here in his house. The dog was not here last night and the previous nights before. He thought the dog who has lost his way home and mistaken the Lake house as his house, has finally found his owner house. He has the hard time chasing the dog away from the lake house. However, he was wrong with the appearance of the same Mutt dog who is sitting in front of the walkway.

“Who are you, doggie?” Jiyong took the chance to talk to the dog. Well, the dog only response with a hearty bark and the dog walks to him, expecting something from Jiyong. The man just frown. “What?” As if he understand Jiyong question, the dog the man hand. The action just makes Jiyong heart warmth. He scratch the dog head and squat down to the dog level, continues to rub the dog furry body.

“You like that, boy?” Jiyong asked delightfully. “Wait...you a boy, right?” Jiyong goes to check the dog . The dog yelps. “Oh man, you a !!” Jiyong just smiled and continues to rub the dog a bit more before heading to the mail box to check for any mails.

A single brown envelope baring his name. Jiyong quickly torn off the envelope to read the content:

'16 February 2013

Dear Mr Kwon,

I am very familiar with the Choi cottage. And I can guarantee that I never lived there. I’m old fashioned but I don’t need a cottage which should be over 6000 square feet. So let me try this again. I used to live at the house by the lake. Then I moved. Now I live at Mapo, Seoul. I appreciated it if you could be forward my mail if you get any.

Oh by the way, it’s 2013...it has been all years. Ask anyone.

Lee Jieun'

Jiyong frown again. He heaved a deep sigh and in a rush, breathing it out. The dog still waiting for him loyally by his side. He looks down to the dog. “Well, what year is it, girl?”

Woof!!”

Jiyong started to walk to his house. “Come along, girl. Let’s get inside the house and find a good spot for you to sleep since you keeps on appearing in front of my house like this.”

Woof woof!!”

♥♥♥

18 February 2011 ♥

Jiyong decided to take a break from work today and run some errands. Since his food supplies are running low,  he has plan to stop by the Seoul Mart on his way to meet his younger brother Hanbin who work at Crayon Holding. It has been almost a month that he has return from his travelling in Europe but never once did he even call up his family, especially his closest ally Hanbin. Well, he did exchange letters with Hanbin when he has stayed abroad but under specified condition that his younger brother will not reveal his whereabout to their eccentric father.

At that time, it has been 3 years long that he had left Seoul to seek independent life abroad and the same years since his beloved mother had died of cancer. Jiyong still refused to reach out to his father. He knows that he should since his mother had make him promise to care of his eccentric father. The promised that his mother had make him on her death bed. Well he never regret of making those promise but he could not bring himself to simply forgive his father.

Jiyong knows Hanbin has sacrifice alot by taking over his position in Crayon Holding and working under the critical eyes of their eccentric father. The man who held high standard in everything he did where he re-direct his main focus to Crayon Holding while simply forget the presence of his family. Jiyong pray to God that he will never becomes like his father. And it is not fair for Hanbin who just an adopted son in the family to be facing the battle with Kwon Sang-Joong.

To repay for Hanbin kindness, he should be more attentive to the young man. Jiyong mother has decided to adopt Hanbin when she finds out that she could not be able to conceive. Jiyong remembered that his mother has to beg his father to agree with the adoption process. Jiyong refuse to know what conditions that his mother has to agree just so his father to agree to proceed with the adoption process. Jiyong just wants to remember the memories of the joy of having a younger brother who he could play with and share lots of great memories as brothers.

At the same time, Jiyong could not deny the feeling that Hanbin could turn out to be an arrogant person or an opportunist of the wealth that stood awaits of him in the future. Well, his worries has simply a waste of time since Hanbin is just what he wanted in a brother. The young man seek a family that he could hold ground to. Hanbin wanted a brother who he could looks up to and a mother figure where he could love. However, the father figure that he wish to have in his life was nothing that he has expected. Instead, the same person that he has idolised as brother, he too becomes a father figure in Hanbin life.

Jiyong makes the last turn and stop directly in front of the tall building that once designed by Crayon Holding. Earlier he has called Hanbin secretary to ask for her boss schedule for the day. Soohyun, her name, has informed him that Hanbin will be having meeting with their client Ygent Ltd, and after that his brother will be free the whole evening. And here he is now, waiting for Hanbin in front of the tall building that belongs to one of South Korean top entertainment giant, Ygent Ltd.

Not long after, as Jiyong leaning his back against his Chevrolet truck, he saw his very handsome younger brother, Kim Hanbin. He could not help but feel proud of his younger brother who really looks a lot different now, in his Armani suit, for the first time he saw him 10 years ago.

Before Jiyong could call out to him, Hanbin saw him at where he was waiting for him. The young man who looks serious awhile ago, beaming at his elder brother while running to him. “Hey brother..!” Jiyong greeted the speechless Hanbin before grabbing him in a bear-hug.

“Awh...where have you been, hyung?” Hanbin cried out to him, just for Jiyong hearing. Hanbin pulls out from the hug and looks at the man that he has misses so much. Jiyong watch Hanbin eyes started to gets teary and damn he felt the same too. He punch Hanbin shoulder lightly. “Come on, stop being a sissy now. What’s with the tears?”

Hanbin shaking his head. “Well, you too getting teary, hyung.” Jiyong walks back to his truck as he waved Hanbin to get inside the truck. “Hyung, you still drive this junk? Classic...!!” Jiyong just smiled. And when his brother has finally gets in the passenger side, he revved up the truck engine.

“Where is your normal joint for dinner?” asked Jiyong with his eyes train on the heavy traffic ahead. “The normal hyung, Jiyugaoka.”

Jiyong smiled. “Classic...!”

 

After dinner, he dragged Hanbin to follow him to the address that Jieun mentioned in her letter. He knows that he is a bit tipsy with all the liquor that both him and Hanbin has consumed. And in his state of mind, he just wanted to see for himself that this Lee Jieun person is a real person. Admittedly, with all the letter correspondes that they had exchange since few weeks ago, it was driving him crazy. Mostly because of the time differents stated in the letter of correspondes. It is totally insane that he is writing to someone from the future as she claimed that the year in her world has always been 2013 when he is living in the year of 2011. The 2 years gap between them is simply not possible.

It has driven him crazy as he set out to think through the possiblities of the situation. It really frustrates him much. Well, after 3 days of burying himself to this insanity situation, he might well let it out his depression over a couple glasses of Jack Daniel Black Label. His all-time favourite whiskey. At the same time, he could catch up with his younger brother Hanbin.

“Where are we going, hyung?” asked Hanbin slurring his words. Jiyong simply ignored him. He realised that Hanbin seems to look at him curiously from his right side while he just keeps on staring ahead of him. He is in total shocked from what he saw. “Your expression looks somewhat pale. What’s the matter, hyung?”

“The apartment is yet to be build...” Jiyong murmured in disbelieve. The sight that is in front of him happens to be the supposedly apartment where Jieun should be residing, according to her letters. But what Jiyong has seen in front of him is just a construction site that not even half of the building has finished constructing. Jiyong decided to check out the road name at the other side of the road. He left Hanbin who keeps on staring at the model image of the apartment.

“It’s gonna be a very appealing apartment once it has been constructed.” Hanbin swinging a bit to his right. “Visionary Vanguard should be doing something like this,” he murmured to himself. He turns to look at Jiyong who seems to be checking the road names and the building site.

“Who are we visiting here, hyung?” Now Jiyong looks confused. “Should I ring the bell? Tedddddddd...!!”

Jiyong suddenly pulls out from his drunkenness. His mind becomes aware of the strangeness that he is facing here. “This can’t be...to be completely build by 18 August 2012.” He felt Hanbin presence behind him. “Hyung, the building will be completely done 18 months from now, hyung. I thought you bought a house by the lake?” asked Hanbin curiously.

“I did. Stop by when you free during the weekend, you will be totally jealous of my new house.” Jiyong could not believed with what he read of the building estimation complete date. “18 months from now ...then where is she living now?”

“What?” asked Hanbin still tipsy from their drinking session. Jiyong just shook his head. “Let’s go home, brother.”

♥♥♥

♥ 21 February 2013 ♥

After the end of her morning shift at the hospital, Jieun quickly wrapped up her shift report that she has been doing an hour ago. Normally, it will only take her less than 30 minutes to finish it before placing the report file on Hara table for her review later. She admits that she could not particularly focus on her work today. Because her minds keeps on flying to Jiyong letter that she received last night. Well, after the end of her night shift, she has purposely drives to the lake house to check out if there was any letter from the man-from-the-past, a name that she decided to call Jiyong.

In his letter, he claimed that he has drive to her apartment just to verify the validity of the address she has mentioned in their letter corresponded. But what he has written next that caught her attention and literally frazzled her minds. 

'20 February 2011

Dear Ms Lee,

I went to Mapo and it’s not there. It’s just a construction site. From the picture it looks nice but not for another 18 months.

What am I missing here? Maybe you get the address wrong because I notice that you get the date wrong too.

Regards,

Kwon Jiyong'

It is not possible that her apartment has yet to completely build. But if according to the date that he has noted down in his letter, well it was true enough to say otherwise. And in his letter, the way he has written it as if detecting that she is playing a prank on him.

“Well I show him!” From behind her, she heard her name has been called out. She turns to see who it might be. It is Hara. “Hey wait up!” Jieun step aside as she waits for Hara to catch up with her and to allow the hospital visitors to walk pass her as she lean back to the wall.

When Hara finally reached her, the beautiful doctor seems to be out of her normal white coat. “Aren’t you working today, Dr Goo?” asked Jieun curiously. She knows that according to their work schedule that Hara needs to cover the shift duties of another doctor who goes for maternity leave. Normally, Hara will be working on a normal shift – from 9 am to 6 pm, daily. Her working time is different from the rest of the young doctors because she is their supervisor.

“No. Elaine wanted to work double shift so I give the chance to her. And it’s been ages that I last work in shift duties. My body feeling so tired easily and pain all over my body parts.” Both Jieun and Hara walk towards the elevator. Someone has been gracious enough to hold the door for the 2 women. “Thanks!”

“Where are you heading, Jieun? You seem to be in the rush to get out from this jungle.” Hara continues talking to Jieun. “Well I’m feeling hungry currently...thought of stopping by McDonald for a quick bite. Then after that I want to head down to Lotte World department store. I want to do some shopping.” Jieun watched Hara who is nodding to her words. “You want to accompany me, Hara?”

Hara smiled. “I wish I could, sweetie. I’m feeling so drained out today. Thanks for the offer but I need to pass.” By now both of women has reached the level of the hospital car park. “See you tomorrow, Jieun. Have a great time shopping!” Hara then walks toward her Ford car which she has park not far from the lift lobby. Whilst Jieun who drive a red Mini cooper would normally park her car at the other side of the car park, near the exit of the hospital car park.

“Hara wait!” Hara glance back to Jieun, curiously. The petite woman walks a few steps where Hara was standing. “Do you remember if there is anything unusual happens in Seoul 2 years ago?” Without hesitation she replied, “Snow storm which also plague the city people with flu virus.”

“But there was more happening right?”

Hara nodded. “The WHOLE of South Korea was buzzard with snow storm that literally frozen the lake and the sea. I remembered that because my husband was pretty mad that his fishing trip needs to be cancel due to it.”

Hara watched Jieun pretty face that seems to be thinking of something. Suddenly she felt curious of Jieun weird question. “Why do you ask, Jieun?”

“Oh there is nothing that important. It’s just that my friend quizzes me over some mundane stuff.” Jieun smiled politely and she bows to her senior. “Anyway I will be going now. Good day, Hara.”

Once she gets in her car, she knows exactly what’s to write to Jiyong later when she reached home. As she drives to the McDonald outlet to grab a quick lunch, her mind then comes up with a good idea. “Maybe I should give him a scarf just to prove my point.”

♥♥♥

♥ 21 February 2011 ♥

'21 February 2013'

Ok my mystery correspondence I get it too. Just in case you are when you think you are, you'll need this. There's a freak show break during that spring and everyone get sick. So plenty of rest and eat lots of fluids...doctors' order.

From the future,

Lee Jieun'

Snow storms almost the end of February? She got to be kidding me,” exclaimed Jiyong disbelieving with what he has read the letter from the crazy-woman-from-the-future while he was waiting for his Zuppa soup to cook. He has received her letter when he has comes home from work. He was surprised when he saw her fast reply from his letter that he has put inside the mailbox just yesterday. And he also received a red scarf along with the letter.

Jiyong nose detect the aroma of his delicious Zuppa soup. “Hmmm...nice...comes to papa!!” He quickly pours out the content to the big bowl that he has arranged earlier. And when he carries his dinner to the table that face the large window which oversee the lake, he sense something changes and a sudden cold. The moment he looks up, he saw a buzzard of snow swirling like a tornado outside the house.

Jiyong was stumped. Like what Jieun has written in her letter, true to her words, it is happening right in front of his eyes.

Then he sneeze, “Achooo...!!”

♥♥♥

♥ 23 February 2013 ♥

It has been 3 days that she last received Jiyong letter. Jieun could not help feeling a bit disappointed with Jiyong silence. And she has make a point to drive to the lake house to check if there is a letter from Jiyong, every each time after she ends her shift. Or before her shift started if she will be on night duties, like last night and also today. She give a quick glance at her wrist watch if she has enough time to reach the hospital before her shift started. Being late for work is not a good habit and she definitely condone such attribute.

Her watch shows 3 pm. And her shift will start at 4.30pm. “Well, I will just take a quick look at the mailbox and be gone.” She look through the rear-view mirror to find Jackie wagging her tongue back to her. Jieun smiled. “You definitely looks happy, Jackie. But remember, I’m just gonna check the mailbox and off we go. Ok? My mum will be waiting at the hospital lobby to pick you up for the weekend.”

“Woof!! Woof!!”

♥♥♥               

23 February 2011 ♥

Jiyong feels so frustrated after been coop up in the lake house for the last 3 days because of the flu. “Stupid weather...giving me this stupid illness...stupid stupid stupid.”  Luckily his fever has almost gone now which left him with the irritating sneezing. “Achoo!!” But the frequencies of sneezing also has gone down a notch too. Even so, his body still felt weak for being immobile the past 3 days.

He had spent those 3 days sleeping like a baby and dead to the world. During that period of trying to stay conscious, he knows Hanbin has comes down visiting him at the lake house. When he woke up to eat his medicine, he would find a bowl of already cold tomato soup by his bed table. From the taste of it, he knows that Hanbin has prepared the meal. After finishing the soup and taken his medicine, he will continues to sleep again until the time for his medication again. But after 3 straight days of the dull routine, he decided to stay awake and not give in the temptation of dozing off.

To take his mind off his current depressing mode, he started to think again of what has just happen that Jieun has reveal to him through her letter. His hand touch the red scarf that she has given to him as his thought deepen. “What’s happening here?” he asked to the empty bedroom. Then he quickly grabbed his writing pad and pen to reply Jieun letter.

Woof! Woof! Woof!

He heard the Mutt dog barking from outside. Jiyong looks out the window panels to where the dog waiting in front of the porch. He wonder how did the dog ends up outside the house instead. He refuse to think Hanbin will be that cruel to lock the front door that prevent the dog from entering the house. He unlock the door and step outside. The dog looks up at him expectantly. “I want to put this letter to the mailbox. Wanna follow me?”

“Woof!!” Obediently the dog follow him.

♥♥♥

23 February 2013 ♥

The moment she open the backseat door, Jackie runs towards the mailbox and just sit at one particular spot without moving his body. Jieun watch the dog strange behaviour as she walks towards the mailbox. Finally, a letter from Jiyong.

'23 February 2011 

Jieun,

Can this be happening?

From the sick man...Jiyong'

Jieun smiled as she read over and over again the short replies from the-man-from-the-past. She quickly wrote down her replies and tear the writing paper. She folded the letter in half before putting it inside the mailbox. When she closed the lid, she too pulls up the ledge upward.

♥♥♥

23 February 2011 ♥

Come on, doggie. What are you still waiting there?” Jiyong called out the dog who remained sitting near the mailbox. When he turn back to the mailbox, just in time his eyes caught the movement when the mailbox ledge has been brought upward, which indicate that someone has place a letter inside the mailbox. He make a quick run to the mailbox. And when he open the lid, as he expected, there is a piece of paper with his name written on top of it.

Before he grab the folded paper from the mailbox, he looks around him. Curious. And then he read the single-lined replies from Jieun.

'23 February 2013 

Why not?

Jieun.'

His eyes could not look away from the date that was written on the paper. 23 February 2013. The same day and month but not the year. Luckily he is still holding on to his writing pad and pen. He just has to write his replies quick. He felt that Jieun is somewhere in the area.

♥♥♥

23 February 2013 ♥

Come along now, Jackie. We need to go now. If not, I’m gonna be late for my shift.” But she did not hear any movement from the dog. The dog has remained sitting by the mailbox and she is getting tired of coaxing him.

Woof! Woof! Woof!  She turn back to where the dog is, just in time to see the mailbox ledge pulls down which means that someone has receive the letter that has been place inside the mailbox. She tries to blink her eyes a couple more times, disbelieving of what she has witness. Jackie keeps on barking at the mailbox, feeling excited of the phenomenon that happening right in front of her.

Jieun then looks around her surrounding. Searching for someone or even Jiyong hiding behind some trees if this is some kind of prank that happens in front of her. But she is alone with the dog only in the area. And the lake house looks vacant from where she is standing.

Carefully she open the mailbox lid. As she expected, there is a piece of folded paper with her name written on top of the surface. Hesitantly, she reached over to grab the paper. Sudden she felt scare of what she might read from the single white paper. Sweat running down her spine even though the weather is quite cold at the moment.

'The possible that I know is not possible but it is happening.

                                                                                                                                Jiyong'

Jieun gives a quick search again at the direction of the secluded part of the lake. But there is no movement from there. She knows that she is alone with the dog here by the lake house.

♥♥♥

23 February 2011 ♥

Jiyong stood waiting anxiously for the mailbox ledge to pulls upward. He is standing right in front of the mailbox while the dog remains at the same spot. His eyes never sway from watching the ledge. And the moment it happens, he quickly open the mailbox lid. The same folded paper but there is no name written on top of it. To him, that is not as important to the content of the letter.

'Where are you?

                                            Jieun'

He gives a quick scan of the letter before he writing down his replies in a haste.                 

♥♥♥

23 February 2013 ♥

Jieun was tapping her feet as she patiently waiting for Jiyong replies. The moment the ledge goes down, she mutter, “Thank God...” and quickly open the lid before grabbing the single white paper inside the mailbox.

'In front of the lake house

                                                                Jiyong'

Jieun feels like screaming at the top of her lung. She is getting frustrated with the current situation here. “Well, as you can see I too standing in front of the lake house but I’m getting too tired for this game so I’m gonna be leaving...ok. Bye now!!” She waved Jiyong letter in the air as she walks towards her car and drive off.

♥♥♥The Lake House ♥♥♥