The Night pt 9

The Night

She sits the picture on top of the other photos she has already pulled out. She finally finds the panda he bought her so many years ago. She carried it eveywhere she went . It was the only thing that got her to sleep at night until she was five. "I thought I lost him." She said this as hse held him close to her chest. "No hunny one day you sat him on our dresser and never took him again. You would always say "he wants to be with you for a while."

"Can I have him back?" She asked tring to hide the tears that were in her voice. "Love bug, you can have all of this. Min Jun put most of this stuff together for you." Junho spoke before I had the chance.

"Thank you." Was all she could muster up still clinging to that stuffed panda.

"Baby girl Min Jun would be proud of you. I acutally remember the first time he tolds us about you. He always had this one smile that shined brightest whenever he talked about your mother but when he talked about you man, not only did his smile shine but he had this twinkle in his eye. You were his pride and joy." He said.

As Junho is telling her this I know part of him is morning; not only for the loss of his best friend but for the fear of lossing his little girl. He knew one day this was going to happen, he just wasn't ready. I pull out the scrapbook Junie and I had started. I open it to the first page . There sat a picture of us holding the smallest and brightest shade of pink booties ever made in our hands. I was looking down at them and i thought hewas doing the same. But when the picture got developed he was staring at me with this smile that made love seep off the page and melt your own heart.

"It was taking the last day before spring break. Everyone kept pestering and asking us why we were keeping secrets. Chansung especially, every morning as we walked into home room. "A girl or boy Min Jun?" So finally we told everyone that at lunch we would let them know. IU made it there before everyone else and kept saying "I hope it's a girl so Suzy and Taec's little boy and her can get married." Suzy was due mid June. Once everyone sat down I pulled those tiny booties out of my bag and revealed them. Suzy squealed at the thought of our children falling in love. Somewhere between invisioning your twos wedding and to the boys congratulating one another she snapped the picture."

She began looking through the pictures that  the pages. She ends up on a piture from Suzy's baby shower. Suzy and I stand in the middle Taec at her other side and Junie at mine. Junho stood next to Min Jun two peas in a pod. Everyone else stood on either side of us.

"Daddy that's you right?" She looked at him with a smile.

"Yes hunny that's me. Junie and I wer practically brothers." She was looking at this shabby haired, acne ridden boy who wore basketball shorts and a sweat shirt that was two sizes two big. She began to laugh. "What's so funny?" Trying to control her laughter. "nothing daddy you just look the same." She laughed even harder, "You come home and run and change into I think that same sweatshirt."

"YA! It's comfortable." He begins to snicker as he pulls her into a sideways hug.

"Tell me more please."

"School was ending faster than we wanted it to and my due date wasn't slowing down either. Junie pulled extra hours at the resturant and i studied and prepared for you to get her. He would come home late from work most nights and still find time to study and spend time with me and working on this scrapbook. I never knew how he did it but whenever i wuld ask him he would only reply;  "I doit for my girls.'

"That year we didn't go to prom I was way to tired by then but..." as i begin to speak I shuffle through the pages of the scrapbook i plop it open to a picture of me eight months pregnant in a red sundress that brushed the floor and himstill in his unifor from work dancing on the patio. The sun was sitting in the trees behind us. "He still managed to do something special for me. A few weeks after that we graduated and nerves begin to take full effect as each day got closer. One night about a week before you were born we were on the couch watching a movie and Junie blurted out "She doesn't have a name. What are we going to call her?"

I sat there for a moment.. "Juniel Love Kim."

"Hmm I like it." Junie answered.

Juniel sat the scrapbook aside and began to rummage through the different baby items we kept. She picked up a small red dress that she wore on her first christmas. Underneath lay they outfit she came home from the hospital. I pick up the small onesie and I.D. bracelets that i linked together. For the first year of her life these four items layed on top of her dresser.

"The doctor told me i needed to start walking if i wanted you to be here on time. So the next day Junie took me to the mall and we walked around looking at different stores and we had passed this baby boutique and i mentioned that i liked the outfit they had on display in their window. Knowing that it had to have cost a lot i made him keep walking when he offered to go look inside.  We decided to stop for lunch and mid way through our meal he told me that he needed to use the bathroom but i could stay and rest a little. He ended up being gone for about 15 minutes. When he came back with a small gift bag that was pink. "Open it." He said dawning a smile. As i lifted the tissue paper i smiled. Inside layed the outft i had seen in the window. It was a soft shade of pink with thick lines of soft grey onesie that bore ruffles on the and "Daddy's Princess across the chest. Also there was a soft grey hat that had a crown embellished on it and pink booties. " The sales girl helped me pick the hat and booties out."  "I love it junie, thank you. I think we should bring her home from the hospital in it."