The Night pt13

The Night

              ****** please forgive me if i spelled or used the wrong words for my story. trying to find Korean words spelled in english were hard...Please correct me if its wrong i will not be upset*****

 

"Annyeong?" A small voice seeps through the reciver. "Ddal, is that you?"

 

"Yes Umma it's me." Michelle says as her voice hitches. "I know it's late but do you think you can come over? We told her about Junie."

"I'm on my way honey." With a quick goodbye she sits on the edge of her bed and looks over to the nightstand where a picture of her, Min Jun and her husband stood. The picture was taken at the beach where the ocean and the setting sun shined behind them.

 

________

The sun was shining bright over them as they waited for their table and Min Jun looked as if he was awaiting news on a test he had sure he failed. She kept looking at her son and telling him to calm down things were ok and they were just having dinner.

"Umma, I love someone." He told her this as they celebrated their 20 year wedding anniversary. Her first thought that came to her mind was that he wasn't truly in love but liked a girl. As he began to tell her about Michelle she realized she was one of her friend's daughter and knew that she was a lovely girl. They way his eyes lit up made her realize that it wasn't just a crush.

"Min Jun baby just be sure you treat her right. Never make her feel like she is a fool and treat her like a lady."  She told him as she placed her hand on his.

________

 

She snapped out of the memory and opened the drawer next to her and picked up her glasses, car, keys, a box. Without getting changed she wrapped her jacket around her and with a lock of the door she headed for her car.

She didn't know why she was so nevrous. It was like she was metting her granddaughter for the first time. Nerves definatley had  the best of her right now.

 

________

 

There was a familar click of the door handle and soft footsteps shuffle through the hall. She found the three of them nestled into one another's arms. Standing there she felt peace and love and happiness fill her heart. Looking at Michell eshe knew the strength and courage that she had to endure at such a young age. Junho her sweet Junho she felt as if he was her son. he is an amazing father to Juniel and an amazing husband to Michelle. Min Jun would be proud of his little family. Juniel her sweet granddaughter is a beautiful example of her mother and father's love.

"Sonnyeo?" Michelle's head is the first to snap up.

"Halmoni." Is all Juniel can say as she starts to cry. Running to her grandma's arms she sobs.  "I am so sorry you lost him."

As her tiny grandma the back of her head she began to gently sway her back and forth. "Shhh, there there my child. It's not your fault. Don't cry. Come sit down on the couch and let's talk for a bit." Taking the hand of her granddaughter she lead her to the couch. While Juniel sat back down. Michelle stood up to greet her mother in law. "How are you sweetheart?"

"I miss him."  She says tight liped and on the verge of tears that she thought had dried up.

A tear escapes as she pulls her in for a hug, "We all do."  As she rubs  Michelle's shoulder to soothe her she hands a envelop sized box to Michelle. Printed on the brown packaging : For my Girl.

Looking down at the box she traces the words, he wrote it. With a sad smile she holds it to her chest and stands there as her mother in law moves on to greet Junho.

With her hands resting on his foreare she ask, "How are you handling this son?"

"I am ok. Just makes me wish he was here." He towers over her as he engulfs her in a tight hug.

"I know son I know. Saranghae son." He bends down to kiss her on the cheek. " Take Michelle to lie down so I can talk with my granddaughter."

"I love you too mom. I will."  He hugs her one last time and smiles at the both of them. Junho takes Michelles hand and leads her out of the room.

"Halmoni, what was he like?" Juniel scooted over to let her grandma sit down.

"He was so smart, kind and friendly. He could make anyone laugh even if they were having a bad day. You both looked alot alike when you were born. Could have passed for twins you know. He rarely cried as a child. He was one of the biggest momma's boy you could have seen. That is until he met your mom and I had to share him then.  He always had a smile on his face, even when he got sick." She paused for a moment.

"What was he likie at my age? What about when he met mom how did he act then?" A twinkle hit Juniels eyes as she grew curious about him .

"Min Jun of course met your mom when they were fourteen, I think he fell in love with her the moment they met. He had it bad for her. When they first became friends he would find any excuse to see her, to talk to her, even to talk about her. When someone would mention her name his eyes would sparkle and a smile always lingered on his face. That boy would be with your mom from sun up to sun down if he was allowed to. We would always and say he was her puppy. When he finally tolds me he wanted to date her at first i thought it was just a crazy crush and would soon fade but once they began dating and he started asking about Korean releationship traditions I knew he was serious about your mom."

"What about when they found out they were going to be parents?"

"Your other grandma and I found out before they did. I thought they were too young but when Min Jun found out he had fear, happiness, worry, and doubt written all over his face. The moment how nervous and worried your mother was he changed all of his fears drifted away. He worked so hard for the both of you . As your mom got bigger and her due date grew nearer he worked twiced as hard. One night he came up to me and cried saying he thought he was going to be a bad father."  She looked down at the coffee table and saw a picture of him with his girls. It was taken a few hours after Juniels birth. Michelle sat in bed wearing a hospital gown, her hair is a mess and holding this tiny newborn wrapped in a purple blanket. Looking exhausted but happy, Min Jun sat there with one arm wrapped around michelle and the other gently laying on Juniel's blanket. His eyes were lit up like she had never seen before. "He wanted to marry your mom you know that?" She said as she laid the picture softly down.

"Sometimes when you smile you look like him, and when you laugh you sound alot like him too. You carry him with you in those things. I wish I would have remembered to bring his pictures."

"Halmoni, we can always see them tomorrow. I want to know everything about him." Juniel placed her hand over her grandmothers and smiled,

"In due time you will learn everything sweetheart."

"Why does dad call you mom?" Juniel questioned.

"He and Min Jun have been friends since they were five years old. They have always been inseperable and had this unbreakable bond that got stronge. He has always been very helpful to us and Min to his family. So it was as if he was our son too. When Min jun died he stepped in and became the provider for everyone and the supporter. When Junho's parents moved back to Korea I promised his mother i would take care of him like he was my own. And that's what i am doing. They were and still apart of your life. They love you too. remember that."

"I know. Do you think i should tell them that i know?" Juniel ask.

"I think you should let your father tell them." Juniel just replied with a nod.

"Juniel what caused you to learn about your dad?"

"I think i am in love with a boy grandma. Nichkhun.." Juniel shyly replied.

"Taec's son?" Juniel nodded " He is a good kid. If he makes you happy I will not say no." She giggled as she said that.

 They spent a while talking about Min Jun, laughter spilled through the room along with a few more shed tears. It was well passed 1AM when they finally decided to call it a night. "Grandma I love you. Can I ask you something else?"

"What is it my child?"

Juniel looks down at the photos spread across the table. "Are you ok with Junho being my dad, like me calling him dad?"

Grandma Kim's eyes begin to well up with a flood of tears waiting to fall. "Of coure baby. He is your dad just as must as Min Jun. You are special to have had two men love you as much as Min Jun and your dad do. That is truly special and is a great blessing.

Juniel practically jumped into her grandmas arms. "I was afraid you would be hurt if i still wanted him to be my dad."

"I would be hurt if you turned your back on him. I think you need to go and let him know that he is still as important to you as her was yesterday."

"I will halmoni." With that Juniel got up to search for him and reassure him that he was her dad.