The Night pt 4

The Night

  "The summer after sophmore year Junie would come over early in the morning and help me with any chores that grandma would give me. Just so we could spend the rest of the day at the beach or movies or just being lazy in my room. He was aslways offering to help with any and everything. Your grandma loved him, she would always tell me that she loved that he had manners, a lot of respect, treated me right and always made me laugh. I think she knew what was going to happen before it even did."

"Is this the summer you found out he loved you? "

"No baby that didn't happpen for a while longer. Everyday that summer it felt as if we saw less and less of our friends and more and more of each other. Which for some reason was ok with us. As long as we had each other that was enough. That Fourth of July my family was throwing a giant barbeque for all our family and friends. Of course Junie and his family were invited. Well anyways that morning I decided to sleep in late because i knew we would be up late that night, But that morning the doorbell rang  really early in the morning. I turned over and I could hear my mom answer the door. "Michelle it's..." She stopped talking mid sentence and I just turned over and went back to sleep. I knew the day would be long."

 "Who was at the door?" My daughter's brown eyes twinkled when she asked. "I bet it was Min jun."  

"Yes it was him though I didn't know it at the time. Anyways we had begun to set up the bbq and i noticed Junie was acting a little differently, kind of all jumpy and nervous and avoiding me. Everytime he shifted away from me i would think if i had done anything wrong but i hadnt and i felt a little pang in my chest. By the time the fireworks began i had given up enjoying them with Junie so i went to my room. As i walked out on to the balcony i watched my family and friends smile and laugh. A single tear escaped my eyes as i thought of the awkwardness between me and junie. Leaning against the rail of the balcony i started to watch the cloudless sky light up. I didn't even notice him stand next to me until he put his arms around me. He then whispered in my ear that he was sorry for avoiding me all day. It's ok was all i could say. "

"What's wrong Junie?" I asked him as i turned my back to the fireworks to look at his face.

"I have to tell you something, well more like ask you." He began to fidget as he spoke trying to look anywhere but my eyes.

"You know you can always say and ask me anything." I told him this and i poked the tip of his nose making us both giggle and smile.

"Michelle you know that i would do anything for you right? And we will always be together you know that, dont you?"

"Yeah Junie get to the point."

"I know you like me more than a friend." My stomach leaped into my throat as he said it. "I know it because I like you like that too," As he pulled me closer he whispered in my ear "Will you be my girlfriend?" I had no idea what to say right then, part of me wanted to say no because of the friendship we built. Looking at him i whispered "Yes" as i nodded my head. As the fireworks were coming to an end he took my face gently into his hand and kissed me. The fireworks gave the world a look into my heart and how i felt."

"Mom that is so cute like its from a movie." She cherps happily as i play with the flower ring that is on my right hand ring finger. I smile at the memories that are flooding through my head. "Mom how come it was only one summer that you knew he loved you?