The Night pt12

The Night

Juniel, Junho and Michelle sat in silence trying to compose the sadness that had overcome them. Juniel began to shuffle through the box again and came across a small white cardboard box. There was a letter that sat underneath it. written in a handwritting she had never seen before: Junho, give this to her when she is older.

"Dad what is this?" She asked through her sniffles and curiousity.

"I forgot about this." He says as he takes the small box from her hands to hold it for a brief moment. "Open them hunny, but may i suggest you open the box first." He smiled as he handed it back to her.

She toyed with the lid of the box as her heart felt like is was going to jump out of her chest. Plopping the lid up and down she sighed and took a  long deserved deep breath and lifted the lid. The box was lined with purple satin the shade of lilac. Asilver etched box lay nestled inside. It was encrusted with gems of every shade and butterflies and flowers painted with enamel paints. She pulled the box out and began to play with the hinge that kept it shut. She the hinge one last time before she unleashed the mystery that lay inside. Resting inside was a heart shaped necklace made of pink diamonds.

"Daddy who is this from?" She ask as she takes the necklace out.

"From your dad." Is all he simply says. "I think you should read the letter now." He says as he clasps the neclace onto her neck.

She holds the envolpe in her hands and flips it over and opens it. A wave of emotions hit her.

             

 

              Love Bug,

                     Juniel, I know this probably a hard letter to read. I know by the time you read this I will be gone and for a while at that. I have passed away. And I am so sorry for that. I am sorry that I am not with my girls. Please know that this was never the plan. i never wanted to leave the two things that mattered the most to me behind. It saddens me to know that I won't be there to hear your first words or to see you take you first steps. Take you to your first day of school, see you graduate. Scare your first date away from you (keke I'm kidding.) or to wipe away the tears from your first heartbreak. I won't be able to walk you down the isle on your wedding day. It destroys me. Please know i would give everything I have to be able to do these things.

                  I'm sure your mom has told you that we were inspearable. We were both 14 and crazy about each other. I loved her smile and her eyes, she could kill with those eyes. I lobved everything about your mom she was so passionate about everything.  she loved me but I don't think I ever told her enough that I loved her.

                      I know your mom and I had you at a very young age but know nothing would have changed if we had you ten years later. I would have loved you then like I love you now. The day we found out you were going to be born I had fears at first because I thought I would fail as a parent. In some ways I have but when I looked into your mothers eyes as she laid in the hospital bed all my fears melted away. Love remaind, lots of love grew in my heart.  

                     As I watched you grow in your mom's belly I know this was the life I wanted, my little piece of heaven on earth. Feling you kick was a true form of magic that lights up your soul. I couldn't wait to meet you and when we found out you were a girl. That day I knew I needed to protect you. Keep you and your mother safe. Not that I wouldn'tn have done that if you had been a boy but I wanted to make sure you knew a great example of what a father is.

                  Me getting sick was never part of the plan. I wanted to marry your mom, protect the two of you, but I can't. I am sitting here with you fast asleep on my chest and my god you're beautiful. Listening to your tiny snores keep me at peace and tons of love in my heart. I sometimes think how did I get so lucky? I pray everyday that I wake up from this nightmare. But it will not happen. Love Bug I want you to know that death wasn't what I wanted. You two are my  heart walking outside of my chest. This illness started as a small headache that never went away. I neveer thought it would end my life. An ending to the beginning of what would have been a wonderful life. I know you can't bare to hear this but I am close to the end. The pain is bigger than my strength can ever be. Whenever you girls walk through that door I become as strong as a hundred men only to have each heart ripped out when the two of you walk out the door. This battle is going to win hunny and I am so sorry sweetheart. I only ask two things from you... Be good to your mom she is too young to have to deal with this. She can be stubborn and strong but listen to her she is a smart woman. Take care of her like I know you have been. And the last thing is I want you not to have a heavy heart because of me. If you are any thing like Your mom you will be upset for a while but you will forgive me. Know that I love you more than myself. I you are a good girl and make your mother and I proud of you.

                 The day you were born I bought you a heart necklace hopefully it hasn't been lost. But when you wear it know that you have my heart. I love youy then and I love you now as you read this.

               This is the hardest part for me. Ummm... I don't want to end this letter because I know I won't be able to write you another one. You are starting to wake up so I must go and spend time with you while I can. Just know I will never ever be mad at you for calling another man daddy because he is doing the job I should have done.

                                                                                                                                     I'll always love you,

                                                                                                                                                       Min Jun or daddy

 

 

Pain had over taken Juniel as her heart ached to meet Min Jun. Lost in her own thoughts she picked up the delicate necklace on her neck. She looked over to her mom, whose eyes were red and puffy. "Mom how did you and daddy?"

Before she finished her mom already knew what she was asking. "We kind of just fell in love. after Junie had died my heart broke I felt alone only having you. But Junho always made it a point to be around and help. When you were about a year and a half old he just became my rock. He was my best friend then." She wasn't sure if she explained it right.

"Baby it was hard to tell your mother I fell in love with her. It was hard not to love her. She is the strongest woman I know. I think you were about two and a half when I finally told her. We both felt like we were cheating on Min Jun but one night in your grandma's house she blurted out I think Min Jun did this. I looked over at her a little confused. I think he made us fall in love Junho, can't you see? He left us signs. She went on to tell me what she considered as the signs left by him,. The one that made the most sense now was on your third birthday after everyone had went home you walked in you your panda and said "He wants you to give it to mommy and love her forever." There was no way on earth you knew I had something to give to your mother. That morning I bought her a ring. I was confused as to ask her to marry me or to sinmple give it to her as to show how grateful i was to have you both in my life. But with what you had said I knew Junie had a part in it now. You also called me daddy no matter how many times we all corrected you. We think he had a part in that too." He looked at Michelle and smiled. "I am glad she said yes."

"Our hearts were broken for so long. Junho could always find a way to make the pain not so painful. We got married a few months later. at the justice of the peace." Her mom said

 

"Why no wedding?"

"Ummm.Uh.... We felt like a wedding would be hard to get through" His voice cracked a little at the end.

 

"I see. Is that why I don't have any brothers or sisters too?"

 

"Yes baby we couldn't.. It just the pain." Her mom couldn't form a sentence to tell but she knew exactly what she meant.

" Do Min Jun's parents see me?

"Yes baby Grandpa and Grandma Kim are huis parents. My mom and dad moved back to Korea when you were eight." Junho replied...

 

Tears began to stream down her face because Grandpa Kim passed away two years ago. "Can I see grandma today?"

"yes i will go call her." As Michelle stood to call Mrs. Kim she smiled and shed a tear.

"Can I tell her I know?"

With a lump in Michelle said "I think she would be happy to know."