The Night pt 11

The Night

Juniel sat there in silence for a few minutes. Tears fell from her eyes as she spoke. "How?"

"Um" Junho was struggling to find the right words to tell her. "When you were about three months old Min Jun passed out in one of his calsses at school and they rushed him to the hospital where for a few days the doctors couldn't find anything besides dehydration wrong with him. But he was weaker than what he went in." He took his hands away from his daughter and wife and started rubbing his eyes. This was hard to talk about but he knew Michelle couldn't do it. "One night Min Jun fell into a coma.The doctors were still stumped as to what was wrong. On the third day that he was in the coma your mom decided to bring you to the hospital because they didn't know how long he would be in this state. I remember sitting in the chair next to him, swollen eyed and half asleep, lost in a daze. Buy your mom walked into the room holding you and smiling. I guess she was trying to keep you happy. She walked straight to his bedside and told you, "look daddy is sleeping." You were so small but so smart. She laid you on top of his stomach and you just nuzzled into your father's chest and slept." Junho couldn't control the shakiness of his voice. He sat between the two that he loved the most and had no idea how to help either one because he couldnt help himself. "You slept there for a good two hours. No one spoke we just watched the two if you lie there." He flipped to the very back of the scrapbook and showed her a picture of her in  a tiny red dress with black hearts covering it. she looked as if they had molded together . Min Jun laid there with an angelic childlike face and they looked so peaceful the rest of the world was blurry but they stood out. "You started to wake up and wiggle and I was reaching for you when he insitinctively wrapped his arms around your tiny body and horsley said, " Is my love bug hungry?" Everyone was startled by him waking up that they were stunned. Your grandpa Kim rushed out the door of the hospital room in search of a doctor.

By the time your grandpa came back your mom was feeding you and Min Jun was wondering how he ended up in the hospital. He was quickly informed on what went wrong. The doctors sent us away so they could run some test on him." Junho finally gave up trying to talk he was at a loss the two women that meant the most to him were both in tears. The pain that dwelled in his chest whenever he looked at Michelle nearly broke his heart. He knew he will never measure up to Min Jun but he knew he would do anything for her just as Min Jun would have done. And juniel his sweet little girl had been hit with so much. He would go to the moon and back for them if it would ease the pain; even give his own life just to bring his dear friend back to life.

With the hiccups of trying to catch her breath Juniel spoke in a raspy tone. "What caused him to die, dad?"

"Min Jun died from a condition that they had no name or cure for. When they took him for a cat scan they saw a small spot on his brain that wasn't supposed to be there. They had decided to keep him longer to monitor him. They had checked him a few days later and they noticed that it grew even larger. At the moment we didnt know but he would spend the rest of his life there in that hospital bed. Some days he would be happy, some he would sleep all day and some he was so hateful and angry at himself and the world. As the days went on though pain and the condition continued to get worse.

"I see" Juniel said

"Your father loved you so much Juniel. Everyday when your mom brought you to see him his eyes would light up even on the worst day.  It's like his illness would leave once you entered the room." Junho tried his best to be stronger. "up until the day he died he thought the world of you."

"You were four months old when he passed away. That day I was late bringing you to see him and when i walked through the door I saw that something was wrong. He just told me to sit down." Michelle was having a hard time telling her daughter this but she needed to.

"Baby I have no more fight in me. I wanted to be here to walk you both down the isle. Once where you become my wife and once when she fell in love. I'm so sorry." He pulled his hands over his eyes and began to sob. You could hear the pain in his soul. "I never wanted to say goodbye Michelle not now not like this. But baby i cant take the pain anymore it hurts so bad.  promise me something Michelle."

Tears fell down her  cheeks. "Anything."

"Fall in love again. Make someone as happy as you have made me."

"I...I can't do that junie. You're the one I love the one who has my heart."

"Baby I will always be with you and I won't get angry. I'll still protect my girls from heaven. I will always be in your heart."

That night i had planned to stay there with him because i missed our nights together but everyone had begun to take turns with him so we didnt get them as much.

"Take the baby home you both need sleep." He said

"I don't want to leave you alone." I whispered.

"You won't be your right here." He placed his hand over his chest "Please go baby." I just nodded. "Let me see my baby before you go." I placed you in his arms and with his quivering lips he kissed you and held you to his chest. "Be good to your mommy she loves you more than life but i love you more than that. As he lifted you off his chest you held on to his pajamas and refused to let go and started to cry. I leaned in to kiss him and he said. " I did it for my girls. I love you so much Mrs. Kim so much.

As we walked out of the room and i turned around and looked at him one last time and i saw the 14 year old boy i fell in love smile at me.

Later that night we got a call from the hospital saying we needed to go. He took his last breath at 11:11pm.