4th: The Scene from the Past

The One True Pairing

Thunder broke the silence.

Chaerin looked at her reflection in the bathroom's mirror and recollected the dream she had when she fell asleep in the car. 

It started excatly just like a night like this, having awoke from her slumber as the thunder ripped the skies. Chaerin could have gone back to sleep but she didn't knew why she felt thirsty all of a sudden. Yawning softly as she got out from bed, she walked quietly downstairs to the kitchen to get a drink. The house was quite dark despite all the lightning outside but Chaerin having lived in the house for so long, knew there was nothing to be frighten in the dark when her parents was with her.

Having recognised the furniture's positions in the house, Chaerin easily found herself in the kitchen. She grabbed her plastic mug on the kitchen counter to pour some milk in when just as she was about to open the refrigerator, she felt something wet on the floor. Thinking that it might be the rain that had went in, she grab a piece of tissue to wipe it away. The light from the refrigerator lighten up her surroudings and it was only then that she realized something was wrong. The tissue she held was not wet with water, but rather it smell rusty and it looked bloodly. She was taken by surprise and took a step back. This time, her feet felt wet again. Chaerin followed the trail using the light from the refrigerator as a guide and as she turned around, the mug she held in her hand slipped and fell to the floor.

As her plastic mug rolled away from her, she followed the dribbling sound until it came to a stop. Her cup had somehow bumped into something and when she finally caught up on it, lightning struck across the window, showing a body lying down on the ground, motionless and still. It took a few more lightning strikes before Chaerin could see who it. Her hair was messy, her pupils dilated and blood was coming from everywhere. Her eyes weren't blinking but was staring openedly, as if looking directly at her. Chaerin didn't know what to do or what to say, she simply froze. It took awhile but as she come terms to it bit by bit, her knees gave way and she fell to the ground. It was her mother, dressed in her night gown, heavily lacerated and shot in the head.

Chaerin shook her head and washed her face. It had been a long time since she remembered that scene. That specific memory of her past was something she kept away but now slowly, bit by bit, as she undergoes this mission to learn more about her past, things that she wished to keep locked up will bound to unreveal themselves even if she didn't want to.

She took the tissue and wipe her face before going out again. Night had fallen by the time they had reached Jeongseon-gun. Chaerin had fallen asleep in the car unknowingly and Ji Yong had actually stop by a restaurant by the time she woke up. Seeing that they didn't had lunch and it was about nearing the end of dinner time as well, Ji Yong offered to pay for dinner in exchange for ruining her breakfast. Chaerin couldn't really find fault with him after driving her all the way here and even treating her to dinner. Still, dinner was far, far away in her mind. Right now, she was more preoccupied in wanting to see her aunt, hopefully she could provide answers to not all but some of her questions and give her some kind of closure regarding her past. Another thing would be the Kurusagawa Family. Knowing that it had been almost a day she had escaped from them, it was about time for her to give them a call to settle their worries and concerns. Luckily, there was a public telephone within the restaurant and having a few coins in her pocket, she call up the one person she knew who would help her. She called Park Bom.

"Hello? Who's this?" asked the lady at the other side.

"Bom Unnie, it's me, Ciel."

"Ciel? Oh my god! Where are you right now? Do you know how worried I am?"

"I'm fine, Bom Unnie. I just wanted to take off on my own."

"By running away? If you wanted a trip on your own, you could have just call me and I would have help you."

"Honestly, Bom Unnie, do you think they would just let me leave on my own? I'm a Ferreria for crisis sake!"

"But still, there could have been other ways than doing this. I was so scared that I even needed to call Soichiro,"

"Wait! You called your brother?"

"Of course, what else could I have done? Just like you said, Ciel, you're a Ferreria and if anything happens, do you think that either families could get away unharm? You should have thought this through carefully, Ciel."

"Is he coming?"

"He should been arriving in three hours' time and I promised him to find you before he comes."

"Fine, I'll go home."

"Good, where are you then?"

"I'm at Jeongseon-gun."

"Jeongseon-gun? What are you doing there?"

"Just sight-seeing."

"Sight-seeing all the way there?"

"It just happened."

Bom obviously knew that there was something more than Chaerin simply leaving the security intel just to do sight-seeing all the way to Jeongseon-gun. But seeing that Chaerin had at the very least called her to inform them of her whereabouts, Bom let it slide, as having Chaerin back home was more important at the moment.

"I will get Mr Hwangsu to pick you up."

"Bom Unnie, I know it's a bit much but give me at least two more hours, please."

"Two hours? Didn't I tell you that Soichiro is coming here in three hours' time right?"

"Yes, but please Bom Unnie, just give me two more hours and I'll promise I will return without making any troubles."

"One hour."

"One hour? Are we going to negotiate about this?"

"One hour is all you have, Ciel. Don't push it."

"Fine, one hour. Meet you later, Bom Unnie."

"Ciel,"

"Hmm?"

"You do know that you can't hide away from the Family, right?"

"You don't need to tell me that, Bom Unnie."

Chaerin ended the call and put down the phone. This short trip was never about running away. Chaerin knew deeply that running away was impossible as long as she bore the name Ferreria with her and she was well aware of the restrictions that came with this name ever since she took it up. Changing her expression, she walked back into the restaurant where right near the windowstill, was where Ji Yong was waiting for her.

"Freshen up already?" he asked.

"Sorry for the wait."

"It's okay. I hope you don't mind but I went ahead and ordered for both of us."

"What did you order?"

"Since it's raining outside, I bought kalguksu."

"Kalguksu?"

"Have you eaten it before?"

"Not really."

"It's korean style fettucccine with potato, squash and chicken broth. It's a hot korean noodle soup, usually eaten during the winter."

"You seem to know your food."

"Not really, I just like to try different foods if I have the chance."

It was during that moment the waitress arrived bringing their dinner with a few extra dishes. Chaerin was surprised by the amount of food that Ji Yong had chosen. While she thought a simple meal would suffice, Ji Yong had ordered more than she expected. She wasn't going to stay for long since Bom Unnie gave her only one hour which she had wanted to use it to find her aunt and talk to her, so she felt bad for troubling Ji Yong with all of these. Chaerin looked at Ji Yong and signaled to him as to why he ordered so many. Ji Yong didn't noticed her sign but the waitress saw her and laughed.

"Don't worry, miss. It's not his fault." said the waitress, smiling at them.

"It's just that it's been a long time since Ji Yong came back here so I thought I should grab every opportunity to try to feed him well."

Chaerin turned to Ji Yong who was already eating.

"Ah," answered Ji Yong, looking at her confused face. "I used to live here once during my childhood and often eat here back then."

"But now that he moved, I rarely get to meet him except when he's on televison or,"

"Uhm, Ajumma," interrupted Ji Yong suddenly. "You live here for a long time, right? We're wondering if you could help us find someone."

Ji Yong didn't wanted his celebrity status to be found out by Chaerin despite wanting to impress her. It felt embarrasing to think that even the older generation knew about him but Chaerin did not.

"Who are you looking for?" asked the lady turning to Ji Yong.

"It's not me, it's her aunt."

Chaerin reacted quickly even though she didn't had time to fully talk about this to Ji Yong beforehand. SHe digged into her pockets and handed over her aunt's address to the lady to read it.

"Jung So-Yung? Jung So-Yung, Jung So-Yung," she repeated to herself as if chanting some kind of spell. "Ah! Jung So-Yung, level 6, apartment no. 7, right? That Jung So-Yung?"

"I guess so." answered Chaerin. "Do you know when does she come home?"

"Maybe in three weeks' time."

"Three weeks? Why?"

"Oh, you don't know? Well, she told me that she was going overseas so she won't be back some time soon."

"Did she tell you where she went to?"

"Not really."

"Then, do you know her handphone number?"

"So-Yong-ssi doesn't have a phone except for her home number. I would like to give you but,"

"Then, I'll give you my number instead. In exchange, can you please give me a call once she return home?"

"Sure, why not? Wait a moment, I'll grab some paper and pen."

Chaerin looked down. In spite of all the troubles she had gone through today just to meet her aunt, the whole trip was futile, not knowing that her aunt had went away. While she was hoping that today would be the day where she would finally meet with one of her own blood relatives, she was disappointed into thinking that everything would work just as she had planned it. It didn't mean that everything she did was in vain. Despite the outcome, she at least managed to find her aunt's house which meant that she just needed to wait a bit more to see her. It just happened that today wasn't it.

"Well," said Ji Yong, starting to eat slowly as he looked at her. "I'm sorry you couldn't see your aunt."

"No, it's okay. I waited this long to find her, I don't mind waiting a bit more."

"By the way, I'm still haven't get to know your name. I'm Kwon Ji Yong, what about you?" asked Ji Yong trying to distract her from her current thoughts.

"I'm,"

Just as Chaerin was about to answer him, she saw from the window through the dripping raindrops, a black mercedes pulling up to the side of the pavement. The car stopped and the front door opened. There, Mr Hwangsu walked out with his umbrella. From where he was standing, he saw Chaerin immediately and bowed down. Chaerin acknowledged his bow, showing him that she had seen him and that it was time to return home. Just then, Ji Yong's phone rang and he excused himself to answer the call.

As Ji Yong went off to attend to his call, Chaerin knew that one hour was up. It felt so short but she wished she had more time on her own, even if it meant that she needed to spend it with some stranger she just met. She got up and went to see the waitress before she went off. She took two pieces of paper, one for her number to give to the waitress and another one addressed to Ji Yong. Just as the waitress came up to her to give her own number just in case of any news about her aunt, Chaerin had finished writing and disappeared.

Looking at the caller ID, it was Seung-hyun Hyung. Ji Yong had ignored his calls for almost a day, although it was more like he was too preoccupied with today's events that he failed to notice that Seung-hyun Hyung had called him at least more than twenty times. Ji Yong knew he was in deep trouble but not answering his call anytime earlier would also land him in trouble. Uncertained whether to answer or not, Ji Yong's hand subconciously pressed the answer button.

"Hello?" he answered meekly.

"JI YONG!!!!! WHERE ARE YOU?" he shouted.

"Hello? Hyung? Can you calm down first?"

"Calm down??!!!! I waited for you almost freaking five hours and call you for more than twenty times. Why didn't you pick up any of my calls?!!"

Ji Yong knew that no matter how much he tried to explain to Seung-hyun Hyung about today's situation, it wouldn't help. Even if he was honest about everything, the events that took placed before was just down right unbelievable or more like some sort of bull he was trying to feed Seung-hyun Hyung over the phone. He wanted to talk but trying to even get any words across was diffcult seeing that the whole conversation was being dominated by his constant shouting coming from his deep voice. Ji Yong knew Seung-hyun Hyung needed time to calm down and Ji Yong had someone on his end waiting for him so he wanted to finish this call as fast as possible.

"I know how it's looks like but I promise you I will explain everything to you once I come back. See you!"

"Ji Yong! Don't you dare hang up on me! Ji Yong! Kwon Ji Yong!!!!,"

"Sorry hyung." whispered Ji Yong as he switched off his phone.

Putting his phone back into his pocket and entering the restaurant again, he looked at where he was seating and realized that Chaerin was gone. As he took his seat, thinking that she might had went to see the waitress, his dinner was interrupted when the waitress went up to him instead.

"Did you see the lady that was with me?"

"I think she went off already."

"Went off? She left already?"

"Yes and I think this note is for you."

Ji Yong took the paper and saw that everything was written in english, a language that he wasn't all that fluent in but still managed to get a hand of it, enough to get by everytime he went overseas.

Ji Yong leaned back to his seat and reeled everything in. I mean, she didn't even touch her noodles and she just left him there in an almost deserted restaurant even after everything he had done for her. He even introduced himself to her when he didn't need to and all she gave him was just her intials, CL. CL could mean so many things so how on earth is he going to find her? Not even a phone number or anything. Ji Yong was flabbergasted and it took awhile for him to process, that maybe, just maybe, was he dumped?

Back in the car, as Chaerin sat at the back seat, Mr Hwangsu who was driving, spoke.

"Please be more mindful of your position, Miss CL. We wouldn't want Soichiro-sama to worry about you."

"Don't worry," Chaerin answered, looking at the window. "I won't."

"Good. Because shortly after Ayaka Ojou-sama's wedding, it would be Soichiro-sama's and your wedding so please take care of yourself."

Chaerin had ignored him and kept quiet during the whole duration back home. Even though she was tired, she didn't dare to sleep, afarid of returning back to her nightmare yet the scene outside the car, as it rain heavily reminded her even more of that scene, seventeen years ago.

 


Author's Note:

Sorry for the late updated. I was busy with the week and even when I had time, I was too tired to write. It usually takes me a day to write a chapter and that's if I'm free for that day. I had alot of things to think about the story, though I managed to get some major things down. It's just how to carry the story flow that's the problem. About the shipping, I'm still deciding yet again and with the recent news about Jiko being true, well, I was siding more to sunsky. The thing is I was listening to Taeyang singing Don't Judge Me by Chris Brown so maybe it's a sign? Hehehehe, but it's not confirm just yet.

Also there are things I would like to clarify in case you get confused.

Ayaka as you all know is Park Bom. Soichiro as you all know is Taeyang.

So both Park Bom and Taeyang are siblings and both are half-korean.

Chaerin being half korean as well, usually refers to Park Bom as Bom Unnie, however when she is in a formal setting with outsiders, she refers Bom Unnie to her official name which is Ayaka.

As for Chaerin, nobody knows her real korean name, well, except for me, since I'm writing the story, so I'm refering her as Chaerin. To others, she's only known as Ciel or CL. Hehe...

As for Chaerin, she doesn't know that Soichiro's korean name is Youngbae so she refers to him by his japanese name.

Other than that, about her status or what she is really, you guys will need to read the later chapters to find out.

That's all really, if you guys like to know anything else, please leave a comment down below and please comment in anything I need to improve.

Thanks!