chapter six

Warrior

w  a  r  r  i  o  r | {06} 


The next few weeks were quite stressful. Luhan and Chanyeol’s boxing competition was near and Miyeon didn’t want to break the small bond she had gained with her father.

Zitao devoted much of his time to learning sign language, he didn’t know why but he felt that he would need it someday. After his weight training sessions, he’d sit in a corner with a couple of books as Miyeon trained the boys. She had a few classes to teach as well, adding onto her work load.

He never failed to see Miyeon working hard, every now and then she’d squeeze in a few minutes to learn a new word or even a phrase. They both had gotten the basics down but still, it was a chore for them; getting used to the new silent language.

 

From time to time, the boys would insist that they work by themselves so Zitao and Miyeon could leave early. Even Chanyeol gave in as he held himself back, he came to realize that Miyeon’s happiness was more important, since he’s rarely see her with a glow in her face.

 

It was true; Miyeon seemed a bit livelier these days. She wasn’t too harsh on Sehun when she caught him eating junk food; he just got a look of disappointment and a small punishment: Fifty pull ups for every wrapper she found.  

“Ah noona! Why?”

Miyeon seemed to grab the boy and stand him in front of the bar. “I found four wrappers Sehun, you ain’t slick. Let’s go, two hundred pull ups before I double it.”

“But my arms…”

“Yes your arms need a ton of work.” She snapped. “Let’s go.”

 

Sehun would wrinkle his nose at the older boys who would laugh at him, it wasn’t easy being the youngest; he had the most to learn and made the most mistakes. He just followed along because his first fight is just around the corner and it’d be quite embarrassing if he lost; especially since Kim Miyeon was the one who trained him.

Not to mention, she gave the scariest pep talks.

“Oh Sehun, this is your first fight. I didn’t train your frail for three years so you can lose. So go out there and slay because if you lose, I’ll slaughter you live on national television. Go on, punk!”

Sehun shuddered at the mere thought of it.

 

He wasn’t too unsatisfied with being the youngest because he did know the most about Miyeon and Zitao. By chance, he would always be there whenever something happened between them and as the mischievous prick he was, he’d go flaunting back to Minseok’s gym to report to the boys despite the fact that every time he did so; he’d only boil up Chanyeol’s jealousy.

 

On a bright Saturday afternoon, Sehun missed it all. He had a gut feeling that something would happen between the two, he just chose a bubble tea and donut date with Luhan instead of tagging alongside with Zitao and Miyeon the night before.

 

“Hyung, this is all your fault.” Sehun whispered. He sipped his bubble tea and bit into his donut bitterly.

“What’d I do this time?” The older and raised his eyebrows innocently and shook his head as he sipped his coffee. “Goodness!”

“I should’ve tagged along with noona and Zitao yesterday; he said something about kimchi stew. I love kimchi stew! And now I’ll never know what’s going on in that house!”

“Sehun, he probably left after helping her make dinner okay? He does that almost every time…Miyeon’s new at this cooking thing and Zitao’s a wiz at it. Besides, without him…how would she learn sign language? She needs someone to practice with!”

Sehun shook his head and dug into his pocket for his phone before slapping his hands on his chest. “Oh right, I left it at the gym so noona won’t track me down and find out we went to Dunkin’ Donuts.” He said quickly. “But Zitao sent me a Facebook message this morning about getting home safely-“

“See? He went home.”

The younger shook his head. “No! No he didn’t! This idiot left his location setting on, and it said he sent it from Miyeon’s place!”

Luhan chuckled. “Gosh, what’s wrong with Zitao and Miyeon under the same roof? She’s stuck with all of us most of the day.”
 Sehun shrugged. “Not too sure myself, but do you think the guys are right? He’s totally going to crack the ice.”

“He already did, she openly told him that she had an older brother who died. “ Luhan said.

“But how?”

Luhan shrugged. “I’m sure Zitao will know soon…she’ll break apart in his arms and tell him her life story. Bits of it are already leaking out, I’m sure the one day, and everything will just come gushing out. She’ll snap one day from holding it in, and Zitao will be there. I’m sure…  It’s kinda cute how he has the incentive to protect and take care of her. I mean, Kim Miyeon? Needing someone to protect her?” He laughed. “They’re so cute together.”

Sehun wrinkled his nose. “I should’ve never let you read that fan-fiction.” He shuddered.

 

Meanwhile …

Last night was a blur to Miyeon. She remembered coming home with Zitao; her father was in the dining room reading a book. He had left a few recipe books out on the table after learning that she wanted to learn how to cook. Zitao had told him a few days before with his messy sign language.

“Have you ever made kimchi stew before?” Miyeon asked as she flipped through the book and spread the ingredients out.

“Whoa…Kim Miyeon, a couple days ago you flipped out over a fried egg and now you want to make stew?”

She looked up and stuttered. “That…That…The egg was…oil went everywhere.” She said in a small voice.

 

And it was true, a couple days before; she had attempted to fry an egg for the first time. Even though the directions were quite simple and the fact that Zitao was right behind her; she stood there after cracking the egg in the pan and watched as the oil danced on the pan’s surface.

“Miyeon?”

She backed away until her back came in contact with Zitao’s chest. “Is that…supposed to happen?”

Zitao threw his head back laughing before standing next to her. “Are you freaked out because the oil’s moving?” He reached for the handle of the pot and flipped the egg flawlessly before turning the heat off. “We have a long way to go, missy.”

 

Zitao shook his head and laughed as he reached for the book. “I thought we’d take baby steps but clearly, that’s not going to happen.”

“But we did…”

He peeked from behind the book and smiled nonchalantly at the sight of her innocent eyes. “Miyeon…going from ramen to frying eggs to stew is not taking baby steps.”

“I’m sure we can still do it.” She said softly.

 

They did, after two long hours of trial and error; they got the recipe down and served the stew. Her father was quite impressed and Zitao even went for seconds, Miyeon was exhausted but it was a satisfying feeling knowing that her first stab at making kimchi stew was a successful one.

 

When the dishes were done and put away, Miyeon slipped into her father’s room and even helped him out of his wheelchair.

She slowly signed

 

Goodnight, dad.

 

To that, he smiled and nodded.

 

Goodnight, my daughter. You did a great job at dinner. I’m proud.

 

When she raised her eyebrow, he chuckled and signed again.

 

Goodnight, my daughter.

Dinner was good.

 I’m happy.

 

Miyeon slipped into her bedroom to see Zitao putting his coat on. She tugged at his sleeves and looked at him silently, she didn’t know why but whenever they were alone, she was always at a loss for words.

“Hm?”

She looked around then pointed to the book. “You said…you said you’d teach me something.”

 

He took his coat off and sat next to Miyeon who propped her head up against her pillow.

Zitao flipped the book open to the page where they last left off.

“We stopped at connecting sentences together right?”

“Mhm.”

 

***

Zitao stopped when he noticed the silence and her lack of words. Why’d she stop responding? He lowered the book to see that she had fallen sleep; Zitao nodded and closed the book. “I guess we’ll stop here.” He said quietly.

Zitao got up to put the book away then froze when he realized she was clinging onto the pocket of his hoodie. He placed the book on the coffee table next to them and reached for her hands. Then he stopped when he came to perceive the fact that she hadn’t slept in a couple of days from all the work she’s been doing at the training center.

Afraid to wake her up, he sat there for an hour or two hoping she’d let go or something, but she never did.

 

“You look a lot prettier when you don’t want to kill someone.” Zitao said softly. He glanced at her peaceful sleeping face and pushed a strand of hair out of her eyes.

 

Then he leaned down and rested his head against the other half of her pillow.

 

“Night, Miyeon.” 


[a/n]: lol zitao now you pray that she won't wake up in the morning and punch you in the face XD

Comments are much appreciated! How are you liking their relationship progress so far? ;)