Dream of Night

Fate's Sweet Melodies

Ji Yong was sitting on his bed, smiling at her in a simple white shirt and jeans. On the floor was a picnic mat with a picnic basket on one corner, which, Lia assume, was filled with food. In the middle, there were two wine glass filled with sparkling juice. On the front ends of the mat were two lighted candlesticks.

The lights were dimmed, with an orange light flickering across the room. The window was open, letting the wind carry the music playing from the radio out to the world.

“I hope you don’t mind having the date here,” he said sheepishly. “As an idol, it will be hard to escape from paparazzi if we go out in public, but I still wanted to ask you out on a date. I did help hyung cook the food,” he added.

But Lia grinned. “Awww, Ji Oppa, this is so romantic!”

“Really?”

She nodded. “Yes.”

He smiled, breathing a sigh of relieved. “I’m happy to hear you like this,” he told her as they sat down on the mat. “I was so worried that you expected something else.”

“I did, but this is better. I really like it,” she said sincerely. “It makes a good impression too,” she added.

He chuckled.

They talked as they ate, getting to know each other better. Ji Yong told her what it was like, striving to be famous singer, his time at YG Entertainment, and what it was like after he was chosen to be in Big Bang. She told him about her life in Melbourne, about her family and about her friends and horses.

The two of them felt so comfortable like this. They weren’t afraid to be who they were with one another.

Once they had finished all the food and after a few minutes of just relaxing, Ji Yong gestured toward the window. “Let’s go on the rooftop,” he suggested and she nodded.

With his help, she climbed up to the roof. She moved aside to make space for him to sit down next to her. He put his arms around her and she rested her head on his shoulder.

They looked up to the gorgeous night sky. The stars were out, making the date even better.

“It’s so beautiful,” Lia exclaimed in awe, looking up.

Ji Yong looked at her. “But the night is not as beautiful as you,” he replied softly and she turned to look at him. “Have anyone ever tell you how breathtakingly beautiful you are?”

She blushed. “Well, I don’t think it’s just me. You’re really handsome, Ji Oppa,” she told him shyly.

Ji Yong was happy to hear that. “Do you really think so?” he asked.

She nodded. “You’re a really nice guy,” she said truthfully. “You’re sweet, funny, smart, talented and very cute.”

He smiled widely. “You’re different from all the other girls, Lia. I knew it since I first caught your eyes at the park. You treat me like I’m normal, like I’m not a celebrity. Why?”

She shrugged. “Just because you’re famous doesn’t mean you’re . . . different . . . from us. You’re just a regular person like me, with a lot more fans. Besides, I don’t care if you’re famous or not. I like you.”

“You like me?” he repeated, looking at her now. “You do?”

“I — I think you’re cute,” she admitted. “I have a bit of a crush on you before, when I first heard about Big Bang. I thought out of all five — don’t tell them, though — you were the cutest. And then when I got to know you more, I . . . I liked you even more.” She turned away, embarrassed.

Ji Yong placed his hand on her chin and turned her to face him. She blinked and smiled tentatively. He grasped her chin firmly and pulled her face closer to his.

Lia closed her eyes, her heart thumping wildly, as their lips met briefly. His lips were soft and gentle and they left hers a little bit too soon.

They pulled apart and smiled at each other, a word unspoken. He moved his left hand to her waist and his right hand behind her neck, pulling her closer. Lia wrapped her arms around his neck, running her fingers through his brown hair, kissing him.

He moved down to kiss her neck and she sighed happily. It felt so good, the feel of his lips on her neck. His hand slipped down to the other side of her waist, pulling her close, crushing her body to his.

After awhile, they finally came up for air. Ji Yong leaned back until he was lying down on the roof, wrapping his strong arms around her. Lia snuggled closely into his arms, her head on his chest to listen to his heartbeat. She closed her eyes as he her hair.

They stayed like that, just the two of them. They didn’t have to say anything. They just looked up to the stars in the night sky.

 

Seung Ri went out to throw the garbage. When he looked up, he was thinking how beautiful the night was that particular night. It made him think of Lia and of her beauty. He smiled.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw some movements on the rooftop. His eyes wandered there and then he wished he hadn’t.

It was Ji Yong and Lia. He could tell that they were kissing. He clenched his fist. He didn’t want to admit it but he was jealous. He thought it was unfair how all the other hyungs always get what they want first before him, just because he was the maknae.

He liked Lia, even though he knew getting her was useless. He knew she likes Ji Yong. Now it was completely hopeless to even try.

He went back inside, his heart feeling heavy. He retreated to his room and laid down on his bed, sighing with wistful thoughts. He didn’t know why he was attracted to her. Normally he liked those daring girls, not the kind of girl Lia was: girly, cute and fun.

He didn’t want to think about. He rolled over in his bed, pulling the blankets over his head, deciding to go to sleep. It wasn’t like he was going anywhere with those kind of thoughts anyway. He closed his eyes and was slowly drifting away to sleep . . .

Suddenly his door burst opened, disrupting whatever chances he had to fall asleep. He sighed and buried his face under his pillow.

“Eh, Maknae, why are you sleeping so early?” TOP’s voice boomed from above him. “It’s only eight-thirty.”

He peeked up. “Oh, hyung. No, I’m tired,” he lied, hoping he’ll go away. Fat chance.

TOP sat down on the edge of his bed with a serious look on his face, biting his bottom lip like he always do whenever something was troubling him. “Can I ask you something important?”

Seung Ri sat up, shaking the covers off, sighing inwardly. “Hmm?”

“Do you think that Lia looks familiar?” TOP asked him. “It’s like I’ve seen her before, somewhere.”

He shrugged. “The first time I saw her was two days ago, at the park.”

“Oh.” TOP frowned. “She reminds me a lot like my yeodongsaeng.”

Yeodongsaeng?” he repeated, baffled. “You have a little sister?”

He nodded. “I had a little sister,” he said quietly, wincing slightly at the past tense. “I lost her, a long time ago. It’s strange.”

“Strange how?”

“I have been thinking of her for the past couple of days and then suddenly Lia enters our lives.”

“And she looks like your sister?” Seung Ri guessed.

TOP sighed, burying his face in his hand. “I don’t know,” he confessed. “The last time I saw her was ten years ago, when I was thirteen and she was seven. So it’s hard to tell.” He looked at him. “Lia is adopted. Do you think she could be my little sister?”

Seung Ri shrugged. “Ah, hyung, I don’t know. Why don’t you try asking her?”

“I did try, remember?”

He laughed. “That isn’t going to work,” he told his hyung. “You need to ask her straight up. What is your sister’s name, anyway?”

“Jun Mei,” TOP replied.

“Oh, that is a pretty name,” he remarked. “Okay, tell me everything you can remember about her. Like her birthday.”

“It’s tomorrow.”

Seung Ri was surprised. He looked at the calendar. March fifteen. Hang on. “Hey, don’t you always go to your parents’ house every March fifteen?” he asked.

TOP nodded. “Yes, I do. It is to celebrate her birthday. That is also why I am thinking of my little sister.”

“No wonder. . . .” Hmm, this wasn’t going anywhere. “Okay, did you have any special relationship with her?” Seung Ri asked.

TOP nodded. “I called her Mei. She called me —” he stopped, blushing.

“What? What did she call you?” Seung Ri persisted.

Bingu Oppa,” he muttered under his breath and Seung Ri burst out laughing.

“Bingu TOP and Bingu Oppa,” Seung Ri spluttered, chortling.

Ibdagchyeo! Shut up! That is actually how I got my dance, you know,” he confessed. “I would dance like that whenever she felt down. It always makes her laugh.”

“Ah, the truth comes up about Bingu TOP’s dance,” Seung Ri snickered.

TOP whacked him with a pillow. “Come on, Maknae! Hanado an usgyeo. It’s not funny!”

Seung Ri stopped laughing, but with much difficulty. “Okay, okay,” he relented. “Ah, nado molla. I don’t know. Why don’t you try find out more about Lia and see if it matches with Jun Mei?” he suggested. “Ask her when her birthday is. Oh, maybe you can even do the Bingu dance.” He cracked up laughing again.

TOP sighed, glowering at him. “I wish I never told you now,” he grumbled.

Mianhae-yo, hyung,” Seung Ri managed to say through the laughter. “It’s funny. But it’s nice that you do that for her.”

“So, what? I ask Lia these questions and see if she remembers me?”

He nodded. “If you think it’ll work.”

“Wow, thanks for the encouragement,” TOP said sarcastically. “It makes me feel so much better.”

Seung Ri grinned. “You’re always welcome, hyung.”

TOP grabbed him by the neck and noogied him. Then he clouted him on the head with his knuckles. “Hah!” he said, satisfied.

“Ah, gotong! That hurts, hyung!” Seung Ri complained with a pout, rubbing his head. He glared at his hyung. “I hate you.”

“Come on,” TOP said, pulling the blankets off him. “Dae Sung and Tae Yang are playing Fear 3 outside on the Xbox. Don’t be such a baby by sleeping so early and hang out with us ‘big boys’.”

Seung Ri rolled his eyes, his head still sore. “Are Ji Yong Hyung and Lia still on their ‘date’?” he asked hesitantly. He didn’t want to see them.

But TOP just shrugged. “I don’t know. Maybe.” He stood up and left the room.

Seung Ri followed him out, relieved to see Ji Yong and Lia nowhere in sight.